My in laws keep driving with my child not in a carseat: Advice?

to all mommies I have a question on what else to do! I’m scared my in laws keep taking my child out and driving without a carseat and I’ve told her time and time again to stop of how much danger it is! her dad says he cares but they blamed it on me saying well I didnt leave a carseat I’m stuck should I just not let her watch her any more it’s kinda a no brainer I just dont know what to do!?!

24 Likes

So they’re supposed to watch your child and not be able to leave the house because you’re not leaving a car seat. I think both of you are wrong in this situation. It’s extremely dangerous for your child to ride in a car with no carseat but you aren’t leaving them a car seat.

56 Likes

Why haven’t you guys gotten her a car seat knowing she watches your child? It’s your responsibility as a parent to provide a car seat for your child when in someone else’s care. So get a car seat install it in their car.

17 Likes

You’re literally both wrong in this situation. Them for driving a child around without a carseat & you for not leaving them a carseat. If there was an emergency, they wouldn’t have a choice…

29 Likes

Don’t leave your child with them. Or you choose to have them have a car seat. If they are riding with your child without a car seat, it’s illegal. Are you providing one for them to use??

13 Likes

Don’t just leave them a seat. Install it as well.
This grandma would be so grateful for the help. I would not be going anywhere without it anyway. But that’s me. I’m surprised they haven’t been stopped. If they refuse it. Don’t leave your child.

17 Likes

The way I see it… you have 2 options… buy a seat for their car or leave your seat there for them to use

13 Likes

Absolutely NOT … it’s dangerous, it’s against the law and it’s overstepping ‘your’ boundaries of wanting your precious child to be in a car seat like she is suppose to. If it were me; they would not be allowed to be with my child without me until they do what I had asked of them.

21 Likes

I’m with everybody else ,leave your car seat, or buy them one, I’m a grandma and watched my grand kids , and my daughter always left their seats , until I had the money to buy them for my own car, why should they have to sit home

9 Likes

Leave a car seat, my mom does that and I told her I want my daughter in a car seat if they are going anywhere,….my mom is old fashioned. Either leave the seat or buy them their own seat

5 Likes

Well if you don’t leave a car seat and you know they don’t have one it is your fault. Leave the carseat obviously. Dur

5 Likes

Why would you not leave a car seat🤷‍♀️

6 Likes

If they don’t have a car seat, and you didn’t provide them one… they shouldn’t go anywhere, simple! If they do go somewhere without a car seat, they shouldn’t keep their grandchild!

3 Likes

Buy them their own car seat so there’s no having to switch. Remind them that if they are stopped in most states they can be charged with child endangerment. If you are aware of this behavior, you are responsible too.

6 Likes

So your mad your in laws take care of your child. But you leave your child their with no car seat so they HAVE to stay home you’re just as much in the wrong here. And it sounds as if you are purposely not leaving the car seat with them so you can attempt to force them to stay home verses being able to go out. How about, Leave the car seat for them so they’re not stuck home. They’re doing YOU a favor not the other way around.

4 Likes

I absolutely would not leave my child with someone who would drive them anywhere without a car seat. You should have left them one, but then they should have called you and asked you to get one to them or come pick them up. The fact that this has happened more than once…yeah. They wouldn’t be babysitting anymore.

5 Likes

I mean is the car seat thing true? Just give them the car seat next time and tell them that they won’t be able to take them if they don’t use it.

3 Likes

They wouldn’t be watching my kid anymore. I always left a carseat though when someone had my kids in case of an emergency. I also would never let my inlaws watch any of my kids though :rofl:

3 Likes

Leave your car seat there for them to use then….it’s not that complicated. When my child was still in a car seat, my exes parents bought their own car seat for their vehicle, or I’d leave mine before they bought the one for their vehicle. It’s not that complicated. What would you expect them to do if there was an emergency? Leave your child by themself, or go in the car without a car seat because you didn’t leave yours. They aren’t hard to remove or reinstall anymore. My SO has two children that are both in forward facing car seats (they are 5 and 3) and we move car seats around for them all the time if we need to, including leaving them to go into someone else’s vehicle if they don’t have car seats for them.

2 Likes

That would be the last time the In-Laws were allowed to see my kids ever.

Kids can die in car crashes even properly restrained in car seats. They are basically okay with killing your child or causing serious injury.

3 Likes

Solve the problem but them a car seat and install it in the car for them

2 Likes

Easy get the car seat for them. Make sure you put it in the car for them. That’s exactly what my son did for me and my adorable grandson.

2 Likes

Get them a car seat and install it properly, they either use it or dont take the child anyplace.

1 Like

1 it’s illegal for a start and tell them to buy one for their car if they have them often or if u have one they can borrow while they have your child if that is a option or simply say til they sort the situation out they not babysitting x

Why on earth wouldn’t you know what to do when your child is in the care of someone else and they are putting him/her in danger and breaking the law to boot!:thinking: cps will come to you if your child gets hurt because you knew and allowed it. The inlaw will be fined and possibly jailed for child endangerment. Wow…You’re correct, it is a No Brainer​:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Please don’t allow that to happen again. What if they have a car accident? My daughter life has changed forever after a car accident, she has tremor.

1 Like

I can’t imagine leaving my kids somewhere without a carseat… so these people not only have to watch your kids but they have to be stuck wherever they are doing it? What if there was an emergency? My daughters grandparents all had their own carseats and strollers to take her places, and any family that took her for a day got her car seat with her… put it right in their car for them.
If they refuse to use or let you install a seat, then yeah absolutely do not let them take your kids they do not care about their safety, but until then it sounds like you’re both at fault.
I’ve seen parents, grandparents, sitters, etc forget to leave a carseat on a few occasions and usually the person that needs it would immediately call to get it as soon as they noticed they didn’t have one…so shame on them for not doing that and just driving anyway, but it also sounds like you’re not leaving one on purpose and that’s wrong on you too.
I’m also curious how you know they do this if you’re not there? Is it really happening or are they telling you bs to try scaring you into leaving a seat🤷🏼‍♀️

2 Likes

I’m a grandparent and I’m like over the top about car seats and safety, please just buckle the car seat in their car and tell them it has to be used.

1 Like

Purchase a car seat for them and then install it. Tell them they need to be sure to put their child in the car seat properly.

1 Like

This is common sense… leave them the carseat like a responsible mother should. And they should have enough common sense not to drive the child around without one. You can’t lecture them on the dangers of it when your not doing anything to prevent it.

3 Likes

Stop letting her watch your daughter or buy her a cheaper seat and install for her in her vehicle. First off; depending on your state laws and child’s age; its illegal. Second, it’s extremely dangerous, kids don’t get a proper belt fit without some sort of seat (following cpsts 5 step test) until 10-12 years old. A 3 year Olds bones (just pulled an age for example) are much different than a 10 year Olds.

You said it’s a no brainer. You know exactly what to do. Stop letting your child be drove around without a car seat. I’m not being mean, but if you keep sending her there knowing they do that, you are part of the problem.

2 Likes

My question is if they are watching your child, why haven’t you left the carseat or provided one if you know they take baby out in car. Cant moan about it as its your child and your responsibility to provide one. Cant expect people to stay in etc if doing you the favour

With my both my kids you have to leave the car seat when you drop off the baby with who is watching your little one.

1 Like

I think you are both in the wrong. If they are watching said child frequently. Buy a cheap/easy to use seat to leave at their place. They are in the wrong as they are knowingly putting their grandchild in danger. I think everyone needs to grow up.

1 Like

Why would u not leave a car seat??? That’s the no brainer to me…

1 Like

Please provide a carseat, it’s on you to. If, then they don’t make use of it, forbid any travel with your child in their car. Be very firm.

Leave them or get them a car seat and install it. If they then refuse to use it, I would not allow them to babysit any longer.

Are you depending on them for daycare or to transport your child? If so then you do need to buy them 1.

I would never allow my child to go anywhere with someone, anyone without a car seat. Put your foot down. They don’t take her anywhere without a car seat.

Umm, in laws no longer get kids!! Very simple!!!

1 Like

But them a car seat or if they are financial they can buy there own that’s what I did so I can take my grandkids and have them safe xx

How about get a car seat that you can leave in their car? A lot of places donate new car seats or sell them pretty cheap… There! Problem solved

I bought my mom one for her car to avoid this entire problem. :+1:

Install a carseat for them. Then if they do not put baby in carseat you can put a stop to them keeping baby

I purchased a car seat for my precious grandchildren…you should not be allowing this to happen

Easy buy a car seat for them

Buy them a second hand one

I wouldn’t allow my children in their care anymore without leaving and installing a care seat. I would also teach
Proper use and share videos of why it needs to be done

1 Like

Buy them a car seat, have them buy a car seat, or don’t have them watch children…

It’s kinda hard to put the kid in a car seat if there is no car seat. They aren’t responsible for providing one and isn’t right for you to decide they’re stuck at home watching your child. Get them a car seat and install it for them. Or install yours every time you drop off the kid.

How old is the kid? Mine was out of a car seat long before my cousins took their kids out of theirs. About 6 my kids were completely out of them, but the recommended age is higher.

8 Likes

I wouldnt allow them to watch my child anymore if they can’t respect the fact you asked them not to drive with your child without carseat.

First, if happened even ONCE why would you bring your child back!
Second, why the hell aren’t you leaving a car seat with your child’s sitter?

Give your in-laws the car seat you want them to use and show them how to use it. Be responsible and quit looking for a reason to be disagreeable.

Why have we not provided them with the car seat if not being used in your vehicle :flushed::expressionless: or provided them with an extra or gone with them to buy the appropriate car seat :thinking:

2 Likes

Ummm leave the car seat, problem solved :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Buy them a car seat. We have 3. One for my vehicle, one for my husbands truck, and one for my parents

1 Like

Ummm, leave the car seat… This is on you. :woman_shrugging:

Buy them a car seat…doesn’t seem complicated or without solution.

Why are you NOT leaving a car seat?

Buy them their own car seat.

Nope. No more unsupervised access

Buy a car seat & give it to them.

1 Like

Defo both in wrong prob u more so

They cux they breaking law and putting your child at danger and risk
Your also putting ur child in danger and risk also
Why you keep allowing have child if u no this is happening
Leave your car seat or buy their own car seat for their car !
Adults don’t stand chance in a crash sometimes children r lot more delicate even thou usually the resilient

Yes your right it is a no brainer
Leave them a car seat.
Good day

2 Likes

Why don’t you just provide a car seat?

Omg some ppl simply amaze me !!
Where has common-sense gone !!

1 Like

We bought a car seat for Grandpa and Nana vehicle. Sounds like you’ve done poor planning. You shouldn’t leave your child with anyone on a regular basis without a properly installed car seat, what happens in case of emergency when the person watching your child must leave in a hurry?

Stop leaving your child with them. Problem solved.

Leave a carseat or buy them one for their car

1 Like

I am a grandma and I bought a seat to keep in my car so it’s easier when I have my granddaughter

How is this the in-laws fault? Leave the carseat, problem solved. This is on you not them

You should make sure you leave them a car seat for your child.

They wouldnt be taking my kid anywhere if they were that dense

No carseat no kid. Period

Do not the child go with them

I’m lost. How can they put child in a carseat if there isn’t one? Have you guys bought or asked them to buy one for their car?? I know it’s a hassle taking it from vehicle to vehicle but why aren’t you leaving it with them??

3 Likes

As a responsible grand parent I have my own car seat that stays in my car so when I have the grandkids they can be safely buckled in. This is not that big of a problem to overcome. Use a little common sense.

3 Likes

If someone is watching my kids, I make sure they have car seats. Of course you cant drive without them but you need to provide them as well.

2 Likes

I always ask if people need my car seat and leave it if they do. I even install it myself, so I know it’s done properly. You should 100% be providing them with a car seat. however it doesn’t make it ok for them to be driving around with your child unsafe. Everyone is wrong in this situation

1 Like

Honestly if she gets caught or worse, you could be charged with child endangerment for allowing your kid to be with her.

If you really want to put your foot down call your local non emergency police line and ask to have an officer come speak to her about it.

If someone watches your child you need to make sure they have a car seat. You can’t expect them to never leave the house. BUT they shouldn’t illegally be driving around with a child not in a car seat.

So you get them their own car seat…if their excuse is that you don’t leave one then why not make sure they have one? Car seat safety is no joke. I always took my car seat out of my car if someone wanted to take her somewhere, not only that but I put the seat in and I put my kid in the seat myself. Can’t give you an excuse if you cover all your bases

My parents bought their own car seat. They are grandkids so I can’t imagine not getting a seat for my car as a grandma. It wasn’t even a question. The first time you found out they did this you should’ve not let it happen again. 

1 Like

You both are wrong. Leave a carseat or buy one for their house. They shouldn’t have to provide it for you. They also should have to be stuck at home while they watch your child. As I agree it’s not safe, this situation has a pretty simple solution :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

they wouldn’t have access to the baby or be able to take them anywhere. If you can’t respect the boundaries I set to keep my child safe, you don’t need to be around them.
Especially when it comes to ish like this.
You need to either get them a carseat - if they aren’t going to do it - and make sure that it’s installed properly or they can’t have the baby. Simple as that.

Get them one if you leave your child with them or leave your one its a no brainer instead of moaning about it

1 Like

Why would you leave your kids somewhere all day without a car seat? Any time my kids have been with family or friends I leave the car seats or atleast ask if they’d like for me to leave them there just in case. What if there’s an emergency? I’d put the car seat in the car for them if you’re worried they won’t install it correctly. Then if they didn’t use it yes be angry.

If you have someone watching your child or children…you provide things they need to do so. Clothes, diapers, wipes, food and a CARSEAT. I don’t care who it is watching the child, you are the one responsible to make sure they have what they need. If you don’t provide, you are the one at fault. If you provide and they don’t use it then they are at fault and neglecting your child. It would then be time to find someone else to watch your child or children.

My parents have watched my daughter since 3 months old and they have their own car seat that they keep. Maybe think about doing that. Spending the extra money to know your child is safe is always going to be worth it.

Leave a seat or offer to go with them to pick one out for them to purchase. They’re 100000% wrong for what they’re doing, but you cannot trap them in their home just because they’re babysitting your child. Be reasonable. :roll_eyes:

They should have a car seat if they wanna drive with the baby, no excuses, regardless of who buys or provides it!! That’s wrong on so many levels. You should have provided one or they needed to get one. I feel everyone is in the wrong here. They wouldn’t be watching my child anymore though…. just bc of the fact that they would risk my child’s safety like that. Smh

Easy fix…either parents or grandparents need to buy a carseat. There’s no excuse for a problem with such a simple remedy not being fixed. Everyone involved is risking the life of this precious child over a $75 seat. Unacceptable and ridiculous!

It’s quite simple GIVE HER THE CARSEAT!!

1 Like

You can’t expect them to watch your child but not go anywhere…buy them a car seat to leave at their house or in their car.

Make sure you drop off a car seat for them it’s that simple and then if they don’t use it don’t let them babysit

Leave your car seat there when you drop off child or buy them a car seat!

Why wouldn’t you leave a car seat…

and as a grand parent if they cant buy one, check the local fire station

Buy them a car seat if they are watching your child. That is the no brainer

Get them a seat. Put it in their car. Period.