My in laws won't stop kissing my baby on the forehead: Am I overreacting?

I cannot stand it when people kiss my baby. She is seven months old, and every time the in-laws come around, they kiss her forehead. I have expressed that I do not like this and am constantly wiping her down with a wipe after they do it. Am I overreacting?

321 Likes

Be thankful it’s not on the lips . They won’t stop .

8 Likes

I was the same way !!!

At least it’s not the lips or cheeks :woman_shrugging:t3: Do your parents kiss her head? Or Is your aversion just bc it’s your in-laws?

18 Likes

Just imagine never being able to kiss your grandchildren on the forehead, then answer your question

35 Likes

Yes, you are overreacting. Unless they are displaying symptoms of illness, the forehead or top of their head is the safest place for them to show affection. I get frustrated when people grab at a baby’s hands thinking that is better, but babies put their hands in their mouths.

17 Likes

Asking Grandparents not to kiss their Grandchild is ridiculous…

31 Likes

Yeah, you need to grow up. I’m betting if they didn’t show your child any affection at all, you’d be whining about that too :roll_eyes:

23 Likes

Nope. Your kid your rules…if they cant respect that then they shouldn’t come over.

13 Likes

your kid, your preferences- but it’s her forehead… I’d totally be against anywhere near the mouth, but I’m not too sure if I personally would make a big deal about her forehead.

3 Likes

I don’t think you are. Especially if you expressed your not comfortable with it then they should respect your decision with your baby

1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t want “people” kissing my baby’s forehead but his grandparents? I would feel horrible if my son in law didn’t want me to kiss my grandson! I love him so much I just want to eat him up! Be grateful that they love your child!

19 Likes

I would think it was weird if my in laws didn’t care to show my babies affection. I don’t see anything wrong with those kisses. If they tried kissing my baby on the mouth I would have an issue. I’m curious if your parents kiss your baby? Are you just not an affectionate person? To me it shows love and comfort.

9 Likes

I could understand if it was the cheeks or mouth. But the forehead and top of the head are the safest places to kiss baby. Do you expect them to not kiss your baby at all, or is there somewhere else you would prefer they kiss? You could be gentle and ask them to not kiss baby’s forehead but the top of the head instead.

4 Likes

Way overreacting! Grandparents are always going to want to love on their grand babies. Are your parents allowed to kiss the baby?

9 Likes

If they are vaccinated- then I would say yes it is overreacting.

Saying “I do not like this” vs “I don’t want you doing this” will make a big difference.

Grandparents wanting to kiss and love their grandkids what next be glad that your kids have grandparents who love them and want to be involved one day it might be those same grand kids that need to have your kids for you for whatever reason

6 Likes

My children did not have loving grandmothers. Both of the grandfathers passed away very young. They did not have grandfather’s. Be thankful!! God’s blessings for your family. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Hunni , stop sweating the small stuff .

Relax and enjoy this precious time with your baby and family :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Definitely not overreacting especially given the circumstances with Covid right now

8 Likes

Start kissing them on the forehead every time you see them … maybe they will eventually see your side of things :wink:

7 Likes

You are definitely over reacting

9 Likes

Yes. Yes, you’re over reacting.

7 Likes

Overreacting. I’d be greatful my child had grandparents that loved them. Unfortunately mine doesn’t I wish he had that.

7 Likes

No, whooping cough can kill your child or make them really sick. It’s that time of year and it is not reccomend they kiss your baby anywhere on the head unless they are vaccinated recently for it

7 Likes

Id say yes but right now in the middle of a pandemic with covid going on youd think theyd respectfully stay out of any small childs face especially children with little too no immunity

3 Likes

Well where would you like them to kiss their grandchild?

3 Likes

You don’t have to physically touch someone to be loving and show them love…

Forehead ? They are just expressing their love. I see nothing wrong with that .

6 Likes

Yes you are overreacting. Be thankful. Seriously

9 Likes

Hell no, that’s YOUR baby that came out of YOUR body. If you need to be rude, be rude. Set boundaries!

7 Likes

You are way over reacting. It’s the grandparents not random people in the grocery store. First time mom syndrome.

7 Likes

Let them hug and kiss her!!! Grandparents just want to love them!!! We can’t get enough. Lol

3 Likes

Your kid, your rules. Everyone will have different preferences, none are right or wrong!

2 Likes

Yes your an asshole! I’m sorry your parents and grandparents didn’t show you love through out life but it is totally normal!

1 Like

I don’t see the harm in kissing her forehead… she’s not going to catch anything that way.

2 Likes

Yep, you are completely overreacting. When my kids were that little, I made sure people washed their hands and made sure they weren’t sick (no sniffles of any kind) before they touched my babies. Kissing comes with the territory. The more love the better.

4 Likes

No, your the mother and your feelings are 100% valid. If you don’t want something that’s happening to be happening, take action. We’re literally in the middle of a fucking pandemic and even when we’re not it’s still a big risk.

Stop being over reactive… obviously this is your first child too.

5 Likes

No. You’re mom. Tell them no every time. Just because it’s not her mouth, doesn’t mean that she won’t touch her head and then her mouth and catch something. Especially during a pandemic

2 Likes

I’m on the fence with this one. On one hand you’re probably worried about germs and on the other hand they are probably very careful as to not get sick. ( of course I’m talking about Covid). I say to do what’s best for you.

1 Like

I say let them kiss the forehead if it was lips or cheek thats a different story right now but they are just showing love be greatful that they want to show baby some love because some people don’t get that chance

4 Likes

Is it because of covid or are you just weird?

10 Likes

Not overreacting at all, if you don’t want someone touching/kissing your child then you have every right to set that boundary. Grandparents or not, doesn’t give anyone automatic right to do what they want.

2 Likes

Yes, You are over reacting! It’s her grandparents, not some stranger or just a friend.

3 Likes

Try not kissing your child for a week n answer your question on if you’re being overreactive.

12 Likes

Make sure everyone is negative before they come to your house

I wish my little guy had grandparents to love on him. Totally overreacting in my opinion

3 Likes

I don’t have kids
I see someone’s point about kissing them on the LIPS but I really don’t see a problem with their forehead? Especially if you’re wiping there forehead after they do that.
^^
But I agree with not kissing them at all with COVID still going on but outside of COVID I don’t see an issue, so yes.

What? I loved to see my kids grandparents love and kiss on my babies.
But if they werent affectionate you would probably be mad about that to. Grandparents arent around forever. Let your baby enjoy it.

5 Likes

Yes :+1: but im a grandparent

If they’re already holding the baby, them talking to the baby would get the germs from their mouth near the baby… so, don’t let them even hold them if you’re that worried. :unamused:

1 Like

As long as they have not shown any symptoms of illness in two weeks, let them kiss that sweet little head! My mom and grandma adored my babies! They loved being adored! They were so bonded to them. They aren’t strangers or friends. They are her family. She deserves to be loved by her family.

You are the parent and what you say goes if you don’t like it ,make them understand and goodluck !

2 Likes

Idk/I know it’s family
But people have herpes man​:weary::woozy_face::woman_facepalming:t4:
Next thing you know the baby has an outbreak and you’re REALLY pissed​:100::rage:

3 Likes

With all the bad stuff in the world you really want to be upset about a kiss on the forehead.

Overreacting? Girl you are really doing the most! It’s her forehead, chill.

3 Likes

Definitely overreacting. Be thankful you have in laws that love your child. Its not like they are kissing her in the mouth!!!

I would be greatful my kids have family.
Kids need love. Don’t hold them back from that.

1 Like

Uhhh, yeah. You’re overreacting. A lot!!

3 Likes

I kiss my grandbaby on the head/forehead. If my daughter asked me not too, I wouldn’t out of respect. She knows I would never put her child at risk for anything. However, those are the safest places to give kisses. How do people expect babies to build immunity if they protect them from every little thing? Now, unless they are noticeably sick or even have slight symptoms of anything contagious, yes, obviously common sense says stay away until better, but lord have mercy. Heck, hand them a bottle of mouthwash before kissing baby if that makes you feel better.

7 Likes

RSV. There are other viruses besides covid . They don’t need to be all up in the baby’s face

2 Likes

To the ones saying she is over reacting has never dealt with a sickly child. I refused to let people kiss my baby and if they did then that was the last time they seen my child for a while. Once he started getting shots and his immune system built up then I allowed people to kiss him on the head and never the mouth. Then he got put in the picu at a year old and we are back to no one can kiss him because his immune system was compromised.

1 Like

Yes that’s a bit crazy.

2 Likes

Yes. Your overreacting

4 Likes

I think 7 months old isn’t a bad age for them to be doing that. I would definitely feel the same way if your baby was still a newborn .

1 Like

Yes you are over reacting. They are your child’s grandparents. They are not kissing your child on the lips, they are simply showing affection.

9 Likes

You are not overreacting. Set your boundaries now. If you don’t, they won’t respect other boundaries you may want to set in the future. Good luck!

7 Likes

One day, those grandparents will just be a memory. I know the baby is little now, but making wholesome memories starts right now. I was always in love with the love and affection my parents showed my kids, as they still do now that the are older. I mean, you married their son and reproduced with him… chances are he survived their smooches with out becoming a leper. :woman_shrugging:
You’re overreacting just a bit. The wiping her forehead every time they touch it is probably worse than the kisses.

18 Likes

It sounds like they are trying to be respectful by kissing on the forehead.

4 Likes

Yes you are overreacting! No harm at all is being done. Let them love their grandbaby!

2 Likes

Lol! It is just a kiss on the forehead! Chillax! Eat a snickers! Soon your 7 month old will be putting everything in their mouth! Anything their lil
hands can grab! Will go in their mouth.:+1:t4: by the time you have a second child, Including a sister kiss or brother kiss .

8 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think you’re overreacting at all. We are still in a PANDEMIC for one and two that’s your baby. You’re the one who carried and delivered so if you say something and someone keeps doing it anyway then that’s disrespectful.

3 Likes

Yes. Babies need affection. Quit being a hypochondriac. She will be ok and better off not growing up in a bubble. Plus she needs to build up immunities or she’ll be sick all the time

4 Likes

How do you expect your child to build immunity?

3 Likes

Yes. Your being way over-dramatic and honestly pretty rude for immediately wiping your kid down after grandparents love on her

4 Likes

Yes you are overreacting. Definitely must be the first one.

2 Likes

I dont know why everyone is saying you’re overreacting? You’re the mom. If you don’t want anyone kissing the baby, that’s your choice. Mouths have germs and you don’t want germs on your young child’s face especially considering Covid.

3 Likes

Some people are going to say your over reacting other people will say you are not at the end of the day it’s your baby. Everyone parents different if it’s not something that you want to happen then set the boundary and explain to them why.

3 Likes

I’m 40 and my grandma is 89. We grew up giving each other kisses. This was just a few weeks ago. My grandparents on BOTH sides always kissed and hugged me bye. Ask yourself when your children have children would you not want to give them kisses or hugs? As long as they aren’t sick, using precautions, don’t have any cold sores on their face I would said a kiss on the top of the head is fine.

7 Likes

Why does that bother you??? I kiss my grandchildren constantly. They are blood relatives and you should feel blessed they love your child

3 Likes

Put her in a bubble… make sure to sanitize the bubble too

16 Likes

They’re the grandparents, why wouldn’t they kiss her???

4 Likes

As a grandparent I can understand being cautious but your baby is going to be ok with kisses on the forehead. When my girls were little I would have never stopped their grandparents from showing affection.

1 Like

Yes you are being ridiculous and overreacting

2 Likes

Yes. I would think that family showing your children love and affection would be a good thing.

Your baby gets exposed to germs by them breathing, touching and other ways if that is what you are worried about. A wipe is not going to remove germs or make a difference. Also it’s a kiss and affection of love. So yes in my opinion you are over reacting.

2 Likes

At the end of the day you’re the mother and they should respect that, but as a grandmother I would feel highly offended if I wasn’t allowed to show affection to my grandbabies, I mean I gave birth to one of their parents and gave them kisses and hugs all the time and they lived to have babies of their own. I guess just imagine how you’d feel in their shoes.

5 Likes

Not overreacting during a pandemic. I don’t like people kissing my 4 month old on the face either.

1 Like

Yes. You are over reacting.

1 Like

The kissing itself wouldn’t bother me, but the not listening to your rules by no kisses, that would really annoy me, I had a rule, no kisses on hands of face, forehead/top of head was ok to me.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you want her Grandparents to kiss her on her forehead? It’s not like they’re kissing her on her lips… Do you say the same if your parents kiss her?

1 Like

I would say forehead yes, it’s overreacting. But I don’t want people kissing my daughter on the mouth unless it’s me or her dad.

1 Like

I would say he’ll no right now …

Lolll these posts just get dumber and dumber :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

Ridiculous, I can’t stop kissing my granddaughter. I’m so thankful for my awesome son in law!

3 Likes

It is your child, you have the say so about it, but I kiss my great grandkids on the cheek or forehead as long as I am not sick or if they are not sick. I have heard about people kissing babies on or around the mouth and making them really sick, I have never even got close to their mouth, cheek or forehead only.

1 Like

I think anyone and everyone, grandparent or not, should respect your wishes and if you say no to something they should listen but it seems like maybe a little bit of an overreaction by wiping them down after. if it’s the grandparents I see nothing wrong with it they’re just showing love to the baby and it’s just on the forehead. Ultimately it’s about what you’re comfortable with as the parent. If you were the grandparent wouldn’t it hurt your feelings not being able to love on you your grandkids or seeing them being wiped down after like you have a disease?

3 Likes

Is it your parents or hubby’s? Do you let your own parents kiss the forehead? By 7 months olds my kids were crawling all over the floor and trying to chew on peoples shoes. Kissing on the forehead isn’t a big deal

6 Likes