My kid is stealing things, help!

A power point -No!
sit and discuss what happens when people steal. Tell her you can’t trust her now and talk about trust.
Get to the bottom of it all now. Make her take the items back to the owners and front them. It will be very uncomfortable and scary for her, the best way. Let her know once she’s over 10 she is culpable in the laws eyes and can start to be charged with things.
Give her more one on one attention and keep a close eye.
A power point is not appropriate or affective in explaining with a child ethics and integrity.

Everyone making fun of this mom for the PowerPoint come on now she was just trying too do her best at teaching her about stealing etc. I do think it’s a little bit over the top and not my parenting style but I am not going to judge her and make nasty comments about how she’s a horrible mom over a freaking PowerPoint! I would definitely follow up with the counselor had you not mentioned it that would be everyone’s number one advice on the comments. I would look into maybe a local scared straight type of program and see if that does the trick. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

WhenI was about four or five years old I tookp some candy from the corner store I used to live by my brother caught me and made me walk right back in the store and return it to them the manager looked at me and looked at my brother before proceeding to pretend to call the cops needless to say I was definitely scared straight and to this day I still don’t take anything from the stores. And I’m now 22

2 Likes

Had this problem with one of my kids no matter what consequences he had he just continued to do it. Got to a point that whenever we went to the store I had to search his pockets when he left for schoolmi and to search him and also when he returned home ended up in Judie for a different problem but still steals from us and he’s almost 18 now we just don’t leave anything in his reach

2 Likes

Normal issue at a normal age. Deeper issue here. She’s exploring boundaries and seeking needs being met. She might feel like she has nothing of her own, in which case working for the things she wants could be helpful. It could be attention, it could be that she only feels focused on when she’s in trouble, so many things.

1 Like

My mum took me to the cop shop when I stole something when I was little and made the cops have a talk to me, seemed abit harsh at the time but it worked for me :tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

I wouldnt send her to the bedroom as that should only be a happy place for night time or play time if not got like a playroom or garden etc, maybe a naughty corner or naughty step, definitely needs to apologize for the stealing but sounds like she wants to get the attention from you be worth sitting down and explaining its the wrong sort of attention and ask why she feels she has to do that or if she wont tell you but can write it down and put it in a safe box that only you or whoever she chooses can read when needed

She might
Be looking for some attention

You are doing good mama.

2 Likes

Maybe sit down and get to the root of the issue. Explain the consequences of stealing in the real world.

The Bible says if you steal cut your hand off… Tell her that… That’s how I keep my kids from that… Never had any issues…

6 Likes

Sounds like you know what to do and did exactly that. Not sure what else you could be looking for. Counseling,family meeting,power points,discussions, punishments. Like…yea…that’s plenty

2 Likes

Does she have the opportunity to earn money doing chores to buy her own things? It could help her understand what things are worth and how stealing them from others impacts them

3 Likes

Call the law n scare her to death,if not the law will take care of her when she gets busted

3 Likes

I knew a little girl thief who was also a sneaky lier…she’s now a young adult criminal…no advice but best of luck :woman_shrugging:t4: Glad you are being attentive & trying to rectify things before it’s too late

2 Likes

Take her to police station and scare her I did this with my son and he stopped

2 Likes

She might just be seeking attention. Try some deep talks and one on one time!

1 Like

Take her into your local PD and let them tell her what happens to thieves

1 Like

A family meeting with a power point? For a nine year old? She’s not a CFO…… you ground her from her electronics and that’s it. Unless sitting though the boredom of a power point was part of the punishment….

Mostly I’m the type of parent that will now randomly steal the most treasured possessions of the stealing child. When they come to me crying, that’s when I say “how do you think so and so felt when you took their AirPods?”

4 Likes

Taking your things is normal and stealing at this age is totally normal too. They see other children with things they want. It’s a stage and fase. As puberty hits the needs and wants change and materials become more important. What they see others have etc and what they can’t have creates an impulse, just look at the pressures of Social Media has ceated. I’d take her to the police station and ask them to talk to her about stealing and what can happen if she does it all the time. Scared me straight!!

2 Likes

My little sister had an issue with stealing. Our mom took her purse and very nicely in front of her went through it. She would go through the items and one by one say ‘oh thats very nice I could use that’ until she had a pile next her purse of a few items. She then handed back her purse and said here you go you can have it back. You can use your imagination for the rest of this story. Needless to say my little sister was dumbfounded, mad and a lesson was learned.

3 Likes

Got to find a way to put in her lap - powerpoint, talks not going to do that

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re taking all the proper steps.

1 Like

I wrote 5 paragraphs and erased it, I am so upset that the mom created a PowerPoint first over human Interaction. The isseu sounds like it’s with the parent or parents. They need to spend quality time talking and figure the isseu out with her with human interaction not computer generated. She is calling out for help. Real consequences to fit the crimes should of been made at the time.

5 Likes

I remember stealing coins out of my mothers purse as a child to spend at the canteen, I remember feeling less valued because I didn’t live in the nice house or have nice clothes as a kid and always wished to have what my friends have. I honestly think you need to confiscate things that mean a lot to her when she is caught out doing these things. She must be taught there are consequences for her actions. She can earn them back by not stealing and doing chores or not get them back at all. The apology letters are a great start though.

There is a reason for it try to find out why she feels the need to take from people x

1 Like

My son went thru this when he was 6 or 7. I handled it by taking him to the police department and letting the juvenile detective talk to him and explain what could happen. Never had that problem again. I also made him give the money back to the person he took it from and apologize. Worked

3 Likes

This era is different from the generation most of us lived, these maybe sign of something deeper or she could be menstruation but can’t express herself to u, but don’t be ashamed your doing all the right things​:facepunch: just remind yrself she’s still 9 and still needs her mum’s love :100:

1 Like

I made my daughter bring back the candy she stole from Walmart. My parents did the same when I was young. Boy was I embarrassed :flushed: lol

Empty her bedroom, leave a bed and tell her if she wants to commit crimes she can experience what it’s like in a cell where you have a bed and that’s it. Or take her down the station and the police can explain what it’s like. If you were my parent and pulled out a PowerPoint I’d have laughed and walked out the room.

14 Likes

make them take what they steal back to the person they stole it from and apologize if that does not work then make her do this plus get the person that they stole from make them do some kind of work for stealing from them such as sweeping moping, cleaning up the yard picking up sticks etc.

2 Likes

Did you ask her,”Why”?

1 Like

Sounds like you are doing great.
I think this is normal, however if one doesn’t put a stop to it then it will continue. You’re doing great

Take her to a police station. Let her see what really happens.

2 Likes

Take the door off her bedroom door - every time she leaves the house Pat her down, anytime you go anywhere make her empty her pockets, do random bedroom checks, don’t allow sleepovers or for her to go anywhere, get cameras set up in your house - absolutely no privacy for her except the bathroom until she can earn back trust! And then spend ALOT of time with her - play games, do nails, read with her, family movie nights etc!

11 Likes

Something is going on that has triggered this behavior. Don’t be embarrassed. It’s about her not you. What’s been going on in her life?

3 Likes

You should get her checked for being bipolar. I am diagnosed with bipolar depression and I started stealing things from family, friends, and stores when i was around that age. Try to get it taken care of fast cause it’s just a slippery downward slope from there. I’m wishing you the best of luck. Maybe if there is a juvenile detention center near by you could see if she can take a tour of it and scare reality into her. Tell her if she keeps stealing this is where she will live and won’t have any toys or anything of hers and not be able to go anywhere or see anyone

1 Like

Might be looking for attention.

2 Likes

Honestly I have no advice . I just know when I was a child . I got my ass whooped . And had to bring what I stole back .and apologize. And was told next time I was caught the police would be called . And I never stole again . My suggestion maybe counseling. And try to get to the root of the problem.

Maybe be quiet and listen and she may feel comfortable telling you what’s up. Your feelings are secondary here. And you sound a bit narcissistic by centring yourself in her problem.

Sure there are consequences. Shaming from her mother shouldn’t be one of them.

6 Likes

A PowerPoint presentation? Is she your child or your coworker? The counselling is ridiculous.

Try sitting down and actually talking WITH her… not AT her with a PowerPoint presentation or getting someone else to do it for you in the way of a therapist. Get on her level and have a chat. If that fails, and she continues then yeah, go off… but I think this is really unnecessary at this point.

9 Likes

If that was me stealing as a 9 year old my mother would tore my a•• up big time . I would never ever do that again . . .

3 Likes

I got my ass whooped and it stopped me dead in my tracks!!

1 Like

take her to juvenile detention center or next time call the police and let them take her and file a report to show her you are serious

4 Likes

Does she have sufficient things of her own? Toys, age appropriate “makeup” and electronics and such? Some kids just really feel left out and take things to belong.

3 Likes

Put a sign on her that says I steal and this is my punishment. Stand her on the corner and write for everyone to hunk if they thinks it’s wrong and will lead to jail or worse. After the embarrassment she may stop.

9 Likes

Your doing good momma. Pat yourself on the back. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: send positive vibes to you.

1 Like

Give opportunities for her to earn the things shes wanting.

4 Likes

Boring her with a power point presentation probably made you message go in one ear and out the other

7 Likes

I would make her face the person and return things and apologize. Make her look at the person and give it back.
Then if that doesn’t work a talk with the police.
I took my son to the police station. They came out with a k9 and had a chat with him at this age. The police explained it was wrong why it was wrong and what consequences could follow. He never stole again.

8 Likes

Your daughter is 9 years old. While stealing is def wrong and she needs to be taught that it is not okay, you do not need to banish her to her room and make this even more embarrassing for her and yourself than it already is. You should use this as a teaching moment and an opportunity to come closer to your daughter and show her that she can trust you. She shouldn’t think that every time she makes a mistake or does something wrong that you are totally against her!! She needs to know you’ve always got her back and are there for her, you should just have a serious conversation with her about why stealing is wrong and leave it at that… you’re acting like she robbed the gas station or something, give the poor girl a break, there may be an underlying issue she needs to talk to you about. God bless and good luck :heart:

8 Likes

She has to earn back all trust back and she loses everything. She has no money or anything you don’t approve of in her room. Stealing is a big deal Bc she’s not going to get a slap on the wrist when stealing expensive things. Getting her into a therapist is a great idea. I hope she doesn’t steal from classmates Bc their parent a can press charges for theft against her and then it’s out of her hands. ESP since she stealing expensive stuff now.

1 Like

Talk to her about herself. Let her know that she can trust you and that you are there for her.

Because although stealing is bad and it could be embarrassing that your 9 year old is stealing, but that shouldn’t matter to you right now. What matter is “why” she’s stealing. Then after knowing her story, you can tell her stealing is wrong.

When my son was 6 years old he stole something out of a locker at school. I took him to the police station and asked them to lock him up. They got the old sergeant and he gave my son a lecture and sat him in a locked cell. He didn’t leave him there but just spoke to him one on one about doing the right thing. It was one off the toughest things i have had to do and I spent the 15 mins crying and questioning my parenting. I was a single mum and couldn’t think of what else to do because i didn’t want this to continue. It’s now 25 years down the track, i have never forgotten it , but he never stole anything else to my knowledge.

4 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My kid is stealing things, help!

FIRST OF ALL: You are going to calm down. Breathe, Momma. Listen, many parents go through this. Some yell, some ground, some spank, hell some even encourage. What’s important is that you TALK to your daughter, teach her the importance of WORKING HARD to earn something. Teach her the importance of respecting other people’s belonging that THEY worked hard for. Talk to her. Connect with her. Understand her. Explain that you get that she gets the urge, but a real sign of maturity is being aware enough to THINK about it, and CHOOSE to do the right thing. Make her WORK DAT ASS OFF. She’s going to have to work minimum wage, hours, to pay off a pair of AirPods. Walls wiped, trash taken out, windows cleaned etc…

But don’t feel like you are a bad mom, or she is a bad kid. This is just one of those REALLY important moments where you can CONNECT and get closer or you can COMBAT and push each other away.

4 Likes

Does your child have add, adhd or odd

4 Likes

One time I stole a candy bar from a store. On our way home my dad turned around and saw me eating the candy bar. He turned around and took me back into the store. He made me take the candy bar back inside and tell the person that I stole it. I was mortified, embarrassed. I cried and cried telling the person that I stole it. I never stole again. That was a hard lesson for me and I won’t forget it.
I’ll do the same if I ever catch my child stealing.

8 Likes

show her what stealing will get her in the future, let her be you know what her favorite things are when she goes to school, take what she treasures most when she comes home from school looking for it, tell her someone must have stolen it ,let her sit for a few days before you give the item back to her maybe then she will learn her lesson

2 Likes

Find a probation officer that would be willing to talk with her about the legal aspect and what consequences will happen if she continues down this path(she may take that more seriously instead of thinking this is just what mom and dad are telling me)

10 Likes

Immediate consequences and sincere apologies for her behavior are very important. You are on the right track mom.
Counseling to help find out why is very wise as well. You’ve got this.
Best of luck.

11 Likes

When my son was 6 he asked my husband for $5 my husband said no while he was out to go to school he took it anyways. I picked him up from school and drove him to the police station explained to him that stealing is not ok the officers did a great job by explaining to him he never stole again he’s almost 13.

2 Likes

Please don’t try to teach her things through power point. You need to make it more personal and real and you need to show her actions have consequences. Most kids go through a stage where they try to steal and you need to talk to her and help her understand it is not okay, won’t be tolerated, and when she gets older the consequences are much worse and you won’t be able to get her out of it. Try to spend more one on one time with her talking to her and make sure you listen to her too! She could be doing it to get your attention, make sure she knows you are there whenever she needs you. Other than the power point you are doing everything right and I think the counselor was also a good idea. Right now she is at that age where kids test their boundaries and try to get away with as much as they can. It’s normal, don’t worry.

I don’t see what’s so weird about the PowerPoint. Yes it’s a little unusual, but she did everything else that sounds “normal” to discipline her child, that she knew how. She made a different approach by ALSO doing a PowerPoint. I call that alot of dedication putting interest in getting to the bottom of why her child was doing this.

17 Likes

I would say talk to her , find out if there’s something going on that she’s scared to tell you. Assure her that you love her and that you’ll always love her . Sometimes kids do thjngs to draw our attention. I’m not saying this is the case but it could be a possibility.

1 Like

Maybe watch a few episodes of Scared Straight on YouTube? I know it’s harsh but it’ll show her what can happen if the behavior continues.

1 Like

Maybe just…talk to her? The amount of time it took you to make a PowerPoint coulda been used to just…spend time with her🤔

1 Like

When i was a kid i was diagnosed with adhd i would take things that looked cool or interested me, not to take them from someone, but because i liked it. Not saying it was right, but it took me a long time to realize what i was doing was wrong and not okay. It took a lot of growing up and self control to not act on those impulses anymore. My mom was really hard on me instead of being understanding about it. Don’t be angry and disappointed in her, help her and explain to her why doing things like that can hurt someone else, the cost, the fact it was their personal belongings. Some kids take longer to understand those kinds of things, i was one of them. I was a very curious and impulsive child, had my parents had a more gentle non agrgressive approach i may have kicked it a lot sooner than i had :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

Have someone from law enforcement come and speak to her.
Not to threaten, but to speak to her about the consequences of her actions.

Take her to church and stay with her

I agree w your punishment.

Explaining to a child that theft is wrong through PowerPoint… I’m no child expert by any means but PowerPoint just doesn’t seem like the best method. I don’t know for sure what I would do but I doubt my child would have anything other than a bed, blanket, and pillow. You want to be a thief, get used to the prison life now. No tv, unless you want to be out in the living room watching my show. I’ll hand you your clothes for the day. If the child cannot comprehend why stealing is wrong, maybe they can understand the undesirable effect of consequences.

28 Likes

This is a form of addiction. Shes acting on an impulse that she can clearly not control. Counseling is the BEST way to help, but Rome wasn’t built in a day Mom. It will take time. Be supportive of the counseling without being pushy. Dont ask what they’ve talked about, that’s private. I’ve learned all of this through counseling with my 8 year old. God bless you, and good luck. Dont put off finding a counselor.

1 Like

Take it as gospel she won’t stop! My youngest did this from the time he was 5 as an adult he’s raped our home 3 times of anything valuable that he could sell. It’s an addiction like gambling or alcohol. I have no answers got him every kind of help there is out there never helped him.

1 Like

shes a kid.they do silly things.you know my youngest at like 4 and his siblings are 14 and 17 yrs older than him…anyway…we were at my daughters place and he stole a brush lol his new neices brush.he shoved it in his gitch lol i marched him right back to his sisters place and got him to give it back n say sorry.his sister laughed n explained to him how its not right to take things that dont belong to you.a short while later he took 5bucks lol in his gitch again.i marched him right back to his sisters place yet again(we lived down the hall from each other) same explanations again…he hasnt done anything like that ever since.hes now 9 goin on 10.now i tell him if he ever steals i would march him right back to the store and give back something and apologize.i told him sometimes the police would be called .he doesnt want to steal from anyone especially from stores because he doesnt want to get in trouble with the law😉

You’re doing it right… most kids steal, it’s not something new. Dont be too hard on yourself…

8 Likes

Bust that ass ……. It worked on me as a child

5 Likes

It’s a phase I have seen this happen alot. Discipline and make her put it back and apologize to whoever she stole from. Also powerpoints don’t help. When she is older she will go to jail for this. So you need to make her understand there are consequences.

4 Likes

When my 2nd born decided to steal at the age of 5 ,we were in the grocery check out line … I was putting everything up on the conveyor belt and she snuck a piece of candy into her pocket … I had already paid and was leaving the store when she showed my oldest (7yr old) what she had done and laughed about it ! My oldest yelled "Mom she stole a piece of candy " and I was mortified . I turned my cart and kids around and back in that store we went ! We went back to the cashier that had checked us out and I told her my child had something to say to her ! My child apologized and told her what she had done . I paid for the candy she took and she got all happy because she thought she was going to keep it ! Nope, I made her give it away ! I also sat down with her and explained why I was upset with her and why I reacted the way I did . 2 yrs later she stole again at the age of 7 , I reacted the same way as the first time but ask her if she’d like me to take her to the sheriff’s office so they could speak with her on why it was not ok to steal and show her what all would happen if she continued to steal . She said no , and she’d never steal again ! So far so good ! She hasn’t stole since and it has been a year . My other 3 kids haven’t stolen anything as they watched their sister and knew that mom wasn’t going to let them get away with it !

She’s 9… she is not developmentally capable of understanding those consequences. Right or wrong, yes. Scared straight, no. Put away the PowerPoint and schedule an appointment for her to check in with her pediatrician. There may be more to the story - find the cause before you look for a solution. Next, schedule a session for yourself with a licensed therapist. The whole PowerPoint thing indicates you may be a little out of touch.

Take her for a jail tour

scared straight program

Well, you handled the situation and made her held accountable for her actions. How did she respond? Give her some grace possibly and don’t keep beating a dead horse. Now I mean, this may not be the end of things but tell her you have faith that she’s learned her lesson and won’t be taking things without asking again.
If there’s another scenario maybe go further at that point.

2 Likes

She needs and wants your attention it’s a good thing your addressing the problem but that punishment may harden her and she won’t care about none of that. Talk to her without persecution and get in her mind.

Whoop her until she gets it THATS what I did she won’t even look at something that ain’t hers

4 Likes

The makeup and hair brushes wouldn’t have been a big deal to me (I used to use my moms makeup and clothes all the time) but stealing money and electronics yes I’d be furious !!!

2 Likes

Be careful of sever punishment. If she has depression at all it could cause her to do something drastic.

12 inch ruler to hand

You start beating there ass

Are you facing problems in your matrimonial home and want a quick solution to your life problems Dr Ehilen is spiritual man that can help you in any situation you are facing, he helped me reconcile with my husband with a love spell after 2 years of been separated. for your solution too, Dr Ehilen is also good with herbal medicine that can cure any kind of disease or sickness keeping you down, give him a try and I promise you will come back to share your testimony like I’m doing.

A power point?!? Are you serious? :joy:

3 Likes

Actions have consequences. Good on you for trying to teach her this as a child. Sitting down with her to discuss the issue and determine what is going on in her 9 year old mind is ridiculous. You are her parent not her friend. If this behavior continues as she grows up the legal system will take over and there will no longer be heart to heart chats. We baby our children and blur the line between right and wrong. When they enter the real world as adults they are in for a rude awakening and completely unprepared to deal with the harsh reality of life. You are doing the right thing mom.

Trip to the Police Station if it keeps happening. Police are happy to show what happens when people steal. Including the holding cells. They have the training to really get it across to kids about consequences.

5 Likes

I had this happen to me. I took everything away. And when she continued, I whipped that ass. More than once. She did stop but it took several weeks of punishments.

You all are mental shame does nothing but build resentment lack of trust there’s a underlying reason for this I feel bad for the kid

3 Likes

The amount of people on here that are saying the type of things that might as well say stealing is fine! She’s only nine! Is ridiculous!!! Shes nine not three she should know better!! She needs more than just a talking to! That is exactly what wrong with this generations kids :roll_eyes: why is there so much sympathy and one person said its not like she stole from a gas station or a store?? Umm no she did worse. What she did was very serious and needs to be handled as such not just be talked about! :angry::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

8 Likes

“steal” everything from her… She needs to understand how that works! Plain and simple

1 Like

My oldest stole my 5 bucks from me and then stole gum from the store well her father made her give me money back and punished her it was his weekend and I made her take gum back apologize and she never stole again

Handle it now before she gets older and becomes a kleptomaniac an then what are you going to do come to social media and cry about it

I suggest counseling to get to the issue “ behind” the stealing.

1 Like