My Landlord Sent a Registered Sex Offender to My House for Handiwork: What Should I Do?

QUESTION:

"Had a knock on my door today. Thinking it was my husband who was working in the back yard, I opened it right up. Wearing no bra, in a t-shirt and booty shorts, I was greeted by a man that my landlord hired to look at our floor.

Ok, so I lead him to the area and grabbed a jacket. Meanwhile, my 2-year-old comes running down the hallway in a diaper, being chased by the 6-year-old girl in only shorts. I walk away from the guy and get them dressed. He tells me about the floor needing to be replaced and he will call my landlord to tell him. Ok - bye.

30 minutes later Iā€™m in the bathroom, about to head out, and hear talking outside the windowā€¦ He is back with the landlord. Nobody has even let me know they were coming to begin with, so Iā€™m frustrated.

Apparently, this man has done crawled underneath my entire house and I didnā€™t even know it until I greeted them outside and was told there is no leak. Planned to come to replace the floor and said itā€™ll be a Sunday-Monday job. Okay cool, bye again.

Well, I get to looking some things up since the guy mentioned living nearby and his house colorā€¦ And he is exactly who I thought he was: a registered sex offender. Charges are sexual assault against a child.

So now Iā€™m beyond livid I wasnā€™t told he was even coming, pissed off my landlord who is fully aware of who/what this man is and sent him to come into my homeā€¦ And now Iā€™m sickened at the thought he is going to be in my home for 2 days repairing my floor.

I donā€™t have the means to just leave those 2+ daysā€¦ And I wouldnā€™t want him in my home alone anyhow being he has a lengthy record. Am I even allowed to tell my landlord no/find somebody else?.. Recommendations on what I can/should do? Also, it is not a company doing the work, it is a guy he hired off the streets."

RELATED QUESTION: Should I Inform the Community of a Registered Sex Offender?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

ā€œIf that is public information and you were able to find it there is nothing preventing you from immediately discussing this situation with the landlord. Provided it is 100% accurate, HELL YES tell him it is UNACCEPTABLE to have this person do repairs in your home AND around your children. Besides, is a convicted sex offender even allowed around children? I think not?ā€

ā€œIā€™m a property manager in DEā€¦ they should absolutely be giving you notice before stopping by, and you do not have to let anyone in your house without at least 48 hours notice. They could stop anytime by for the crawl space, but should be letting you know first. They can only come in with less notice for something major like a water leak but definitely not just to replace flooring. I would also email them, so itā€™s in writing, what you found out about the contractor and that you do not feel comfortable with them in your home, especially with young children. Iā€™m not exactly sure what the laws are regarding contractors because we would never use anyone like that, so you should make it clear you will not allow them entry and then contact the JP courtā€¦ they should be able to give you some guidance or point you in the right direction.ā€

ā€œI am 1000% sure he is not supposed to be near your children, or any children, and you should report him. Yes, everyone needs to make a living, but he needs to figure out a way to do that and comply with his conditions as a registrant.ā€

ā€œCall your landlord and tell him what you found out and tell him the man is not allowed back in your house. He must find someone else to do the job or you will call the police.ā€

ā€œCall the cops. If he is a registered sex offender Iā€™m sure there are conditions he has to follow about being around children/minors. Donā€™t even hesitate, call the police if your landlord refuses to hire someone else. He should NOT have access to your babies.ā€

ā€œUnsure where you live but no one can enter the property without prior notice, even the owner/landlord.ā€

ā€œAs a tenant, you just have to leave the house while he is working if you feel uncomfortable. Your landlord is not responsible for doing background checks on subcontractors legally.ā€

ā€œI would email or text the landlord so you have a legal copy. Tell him you under no circumstances will have a registered sex offender in your home and to find someone with no criminal record (as he should be doing anyways) this man now knows the ins and outs of your home so I recommend making sure there are locks on all windows and deadbolts on doors.ā€

ā€œIā€™m pretty sure the dude canā€™t even legally take the job if you have kids in the home. Iā€™d definitely tell the landlord to find someone else. Call your sheriffā€™s office to ask if the guy can legally be at your place and forward your findings to your landlord. You pay rent and have the right to refuse someone entry.ā€

ā€œContact local law enforcement and find out who handles RSO registration and discuss the situation with them.ā€

ā€œYou need to contact your landlord and explain the situation. Are you sure he knows that man is a sex offender? Your landlord may have no idea since he hired him ā€˜off the streets.ā€™ I donā€™t know the legality of this situation but I would talk to your landlord first and foremost.ā€

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

170 Likes

Holy smokes! He saw your 6 year old in just shorts. I just wouldnā€™t allow him anywhere near your home or children

5 Likes

I thought your landlord by law had to give you 24 hour notice before showing up or having anyone show up at your home? Maybe itā€™s just Ga and SC

1 Like

Naw Iā€™d request my landlord to send someone else

1 Like

Refuse to let him in and either the landlord needs to notify you when someone is coming and who they are or donā€™t let them in at all just because youā€™re landlord owns the home youā€™re entitled to be safe and notified of who theyā€™re sending to make repairs.

5 Likes

Donā€™t allow it, period. And put your concerns and boundaries in writing to your landlord - via email & registered mail if needed. Totes unacceptable. Good luck & stay safe.

2 Likes

Call your local cops to see what your rights are on this and let them know your landlord is ok with this .

7 Likes

Heck to the NOOOO. Donā€™t allow that sicko around PERIODT. Landlord is in the wrong if he KNOWS who this person is & knows you have a family. Eff that. Stay safe !

I would speak up and refuse!

Also, if your not dressed decent and either are your kids, have the guest, no matter who it is, wait outside until your decent, definitely donā€™t let him come back.

5 Likes

Call the police! If he is a registered sex offender he maybe breaking his parole, usually they are not allowed to be around children.

31 Likes

If theyā€™re a registered sex offender and itā€™s to do with children heā€™s breaching his conditions CALL THE POLICE! Oh and dob ur landlord in too. Stay safe good luck xx

5 Likes

If heā€™s a registered sex offender doing a side job you could report it to the supervising office. If itā€™s not his actual job under a companyā€™s name I donā€™t believe he can do the work without their permission. Add the fact that legally your landlord should be giving you a 24 hour notice before he or anyone else comes to the home unless in the case of an emergency and even more so now with COVID. I would express that law with your landlord moving forward and also tell him youā€™re not comfortable having a registered sex offender in your home whether youā€™re there or not. Unfortunately there is no law on who he chooses to do repairs on the house but you could approach it that you would like someone licensed and insured to do work

You allowedā€¦them in once but you did not,an was unaware of their entry,laterā€¦into your Private abodeā€¦that is trespassing,landlord brought dangerā€¦seek legal advice there

First of allā€¦ Make ur husband aware of what is going on.

3 Likes

Please please please !!!
Write a letter to Archangel Michael today please!!! in the letter ask Archangel Michael to Divinely Protect you in all Situations each and everydayā€¦ Everyday Being the important part !!!
This post is for anyone who reads this , you will be Divinely guided to place the letter in a sacred place!!!
Gods Eternal Love , Miracles and Divine Blessings to you and your family always!!

In

4 Likes

A registered sex offender is not allowed anywhere near children by law and can go back to jail just by going near your children! Youā€™re landlord needs to get someone else, you do not have to allow this man back in your home by law! It is also a rental violation if your landlord does not give you a 24 hour notice

Sex offenders arenā€™t supposed to be around kids under 16 I think it is and itā€™s on his record ! Probation /parole not allowed call cops n ask about that man !!

2 Likes

Tell landlord to get someone else :rage: And landlords have to give 24 hours notice for someone to come into your place

7 Likes

You are all being alittle paranoid. You donā€™t know why he had to register,it could have been for a bullshit charge. You are judging him without knowing the fax . Just dress properly and keep the kids busy in the other room with you, then have a private conversation with the landlord at a later date

8 Likes

I would speak with the landlord and just express your concerns about this. Tell him you are not comfortable with that person being around the house. If the landlord is even semi decent he should understand and get someone else to do the work. If he becomes an ass, call the parole office and notify them that there is a registered sex offender doing work for the landlord and going in to houses with children. His parole officer, if he has one, should be able to put a stop to it.
There is no way in hell id let him back in the house or on the property for that matter.

2 Likes

My dear, if he is on the sex offender list then he is not allowed to be anywhere near under age children. By the landloards employment or otherwise. Tell your landlord that you are bound by the law to call the police if he comes in your house because you can lose your kids if he is in there and you dont.

This is obviously in the USAšŸ™„

2 Likes

Its the landlords houseā€¦he can hire who he wants

2 Likes

Call the police. He is bit allowed around kids

5 Likes

My landlord told me if we dont like a person in our house we are to refuse them entry. And she will find someone else. We never had to refuse a person but know you do have a right to refuse a person

No tell your landlord you donā€™t want that man in your house. But tell him not to tell the offender. Because he can retaliate

2 Likes

No no no no. Tell your landlord hell the F no, and he needs to hire someone else.

I would tell the landlord if he ever sends someone to your house again without your knowledge like that again you will sue him. They canā€™t do that everything has to be approved by someone living in the residence. And then I would tell him u refuse to allow that man in your space because he is a sex offender and you have children, he has to find someone else, period

11 Likes

Tell your landlord if he (guy he hired) steps on your property again youā€™re calling the cops! He IS NOT ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR CHILDREN!!! Tell him to Hire someone else Preferably that isnā€™t a sex offender smh! Bet he went with the cheapest option when looking!!

6 Likes

Dress properly and keep kids busy. Um NO. Protect your kids and yourself. Iā€™m all about redemption but as a woman trust you Gut we are never wrong.

5 Likes

Why does this question even need to be asked dumbfounded do whatā€™s right for the safety of your children and yourself.

1 Like

He needs to be licensed and bonded.
Definitely tell the landlord you donā€™t want him in your home.
Let your husband handle it.

3 Likes

Talk to your landlord first to express your concerns. If he doesnā€™t care to hire someone else, call the police you have rights and he is not allowed to be around children. His parole officer can also be contacted. Report your landlord for hiring a sex offender too. Who the tf does that knowing damn well thereā€™s children in the home. That dude took the job because your landlord offered him cash.

Iā€™d definitely tell your landlord that you are NOT comfortable with no one informing you they were under your homeā€¦AND furthermore that the person he hired is a sex offender and youā€™ll be reporting that to any agency that needs to know if he comes on your property.

And Yes, there are definitely some cases that people get strapped with offender registry that should not place them in the same category as rapists and child molesters (I, myself, know a guy that got himself on there back when he was 21ā€¦and heā€™s a harmless knuckleheadā€¦yet 20 years later heā€™s marked for life) but that doesnā€™t make it an appropriate person to hire for a job and in some cases may even be a violation of their release, particularly if they are still on supervised release.

I know your landlord has to give you at least 24 hours notice of needing to enter the home. I would definitely voice your concerns with the landlord and show the facts. Let him you you feel uncomfortable with this person 100% and maybe even offer to find a couple people and have him call them or maybe suggest you would

2 Likes

You should tell your landlord to hire someone elseā€¦ Then be watchful to make sure that other man doesnt come backā€¦ Thats odd your landlord did not tell you anybody was coming ahead of timeā€¦

Express your concerns to your landlord you are not comfortable having this.person in your presence could he please send someone else please Iā€™m surprised because unless hes been cleared of these offenses hes allowed to enter peopleā€™s homes?? Before u go any further speak with your landlord if your not satisfied certainly approach the police good luck

Normally a registered sex offender especially a child sex offender canā€™t be within so many feet of a child, a school, park, or church. So he is breaking the law by coming to your house.

No notice given is a violation of tenancy, landlords at fault I would be explaining to said landlord how you feel about handy mans sexual offender status

First, what state are you in? Google state name a landlord tenant act. Those are the rules. Find out about landlord entry and workers in a home with children.
Arghhhh, the guy just showing upā€¦ thereā€™s no shame in asking him to wait 15 minutes or however long (within reason) as he wasnā€™t expected. Get ready then let him in. Donā€™t have to say more than that.
Depending on relationship with landlord, either write a letter or speak to him.
He should give 24-48 hours notice and no to that guy doing the work. Be respectful and keep your cool. . As hard as that would be!
Know the laws before dealing with landlord.
Much luck, Mama!
If be livid too! Iā€™m a landlordā€¦

You have the right to not allow anyone in your home even the landlord

Your landlord shouldnā€™t have had anyone come and knock on your door without letting you know first! Also of course you should tell your landlord he isnā€™t allowed back in there!!!

Iā€™d call the sheriff office in you county and ask what you can do. Ainā€™t no way a sex offender would be coming in MY HOUSE around my kids. And itā€™s illegal for him to be around kids!!!

You donā€™t have to do shit. Have your husband tell this fool of a landlord Donā€™t ever pull that crap again and donā€™t ever have that man return!

1 Like

Call the police or the sex offender off is. They should be able to tell you what to do

1 Like

You have valid reason to tell him you dont want that man into your home ā€¦however one needs to look into the fact he might not have been guilty and was never given a fair trialā€¦its tough on both ends but you are priority and your land lord should have respected your privacy enough to inform you he was sending someone .therefore being seen in the nude by him makes you very uncomfortable and reason enough for you to ask for someone else ā€¦if he refuses then hire someone yourself and let him foot the bill or deduct it from the rent .

1 Like

You do NOT have the right to ā€œapproveā€ what a landlord does to his/her house. As a property manager, Iā€™m telling you thatā€™s :100:% false information. A landlord only needs to give you 24 hours notice to enter your premises to do mostly whatever they want. They are allowed to order repairs on/about the premises and you have NO SAY in that.

However, registered sex offenders are not allowed to be ALONE with children. They can be around children if the parent is present, but this mom does have discretion to allow that or not. She SHOULD contact an attorney and/or local police to find out her exact rights and not listen to advice on the internet from non-legal sources, as that could get her into trouble.

Lady, if youā€™re listening, find out your rights in your state from an authority. Donā€™t take advice from here.

15 Likes

Omg tell ur landlord he needs to find someone else to do the job ā€¦bad enough he already knows the layout of the house ā€¦

1 Like

If he a sex offender he not supposed to be around kids you can get in trouble for allowing him to be around your kids

2 Likes

Sounds just like something a slumlord would do. :unamused: Been in this situation. Move the next chance you get! And call the police because if heā€™s registered, he isnā€™t allowed to be around kids. I had a landlord that never got companys to do anything, just hired ā€œhis ownā€ people. :unamused::roll_eyes:

As a landlord he has to give 24-hour notice to anyone coming into your home.

1 Like

Call the police and if he is a registered sex offender he is not even allowed to be near children. Your landlord needs his ass kicked!!!

Whereā€™s your husband in all of this? Why isnā€™t he raising hell?

4 Likes

Please Never let anyone in like that again without knowing they are coming! Call your landlord and the police!

Iā€™m just confused. If he was who you thought he wasā€¦a registered sex offender. Why let him in ur house in the first place.

Report him to the police , he wont be allowed near any children at all!!!

Your home, your rules, landlord needs to respect this, contact tenancy services and see what your rights are. I am a landlord and number one you do not arrive at a tenants house unannounced.

My experience is that they can use anyone they want. I would try to have someone home with you if possible.

1 Like

Hire a company ā€¦ get a receiptā€¦ subtract from your rent

6 Likes

You need to contact your landlord and explain the situation. Are you sure he knows that man is a sex offender? Your landlord may have no idea since he hired him ā€œoff the streetsā€. I donā€™t know the legality of this situation but I would talk to your landlord first and foremost.

4 Likes

Hell to the FUCKIN NO! I would call the landlord and demand he finds someone other than the pedo!!!

If that is public information and you were able to find it there is nothing preventing you from immediately discussing this situation with the landlord. Provided it is 100% accurate, HELL YES tell him it is UNACCEPTABLE to have this person do repairs in your home AND around your children. Besides is a convicted sex offender even allowed around children? I think not?

20 Likes

Call your landlord and tell him what you found out and tell him the man is not allowed back in your house. He must find someone else to do the job or you will csll the police.

9 Likes

I would speak to your landlord and explain your concerns, as they are legitimate. Then depending on what he says go from there

3 Likes

U should be able to do something normally they canā€™t go near a child

He wouldnā€™t be comin into my house. If he shows up call the police. Then I would take the landlord to court and have him pay for me to moveā€¦

1 Like

I would be contacting your landlord and if he doesnā€™t hire someone new, Iā€™d be calling the cops because most registered sex offenders are not allowed to be in a home with children, especially not of their own. Or if he wants him to do it, the landlord should need to pay for a hotel or something for the night and he needs to be there to monitor him!

5 Likes

Iā€™m a property manager in DEā€¦ they should absolutely be giving you notice before stopping by, and you do not have to let anyone in your house without at least 48 hours notice. They could stop anytime by for the crawl space, but should be letting you know first. They can only come in with less notice for something major like a water leak but definitely not just to replace flooring. I would also email them, so itā€™s in writing, what you found out about the contractor and that you do not feel comfortable with them in your home, especially with young children. Iā€™m not exactly sure what the laws are regarding contractors because we would never use anyone like that, so you should make it clear you will not allow them entry and then contact the JP courtā€¦ they should be able to give you some guidance or point you in the right direction.

16 Likes

Call the cops. If he is a registered sex offender Iā€™m sure there are conditions he has to follow about being around children/minors. Dont even hesitate, call the police if your landlord refuses to hire someone else. He should NOT have access to your babies.

10 Likes

Unsure where you live but no one can attend the property without prior notice, even the owner/landlord.

7 Likes

He probably didnā€™t look that far into him when he hired him so he probably doesnā€™t even know.

1 Like

Call the cops. He will be arrested. As sex offender he knows better than to be in any range of children.

4 Likes

Make sure if the guy will be doing the work is not alone for a minute and to watch that he does not plant a camera or anything

3 Likes

Yes you can call your landlord and tell him that you donā€™t want him in your house. Thats your right to do so. He canā€™t evict you or take any action against you because you can sue for him bringing a sex offender around your children.

5 Likes

This has been a problem at our home as well. ITS NOT OKAY!!! Voice this to yoir landlord. He needs to respect your privacy in your home! Your landlord shouldnā€™t come unannouced or without significant heads up. Its completely disrespectful!

2 Likes

Oooo my blood is boiling for you! Is be hitting Google hard and calling the cops finding out your rights. I would also call your landlord immediately and just tell him what youā€™ve found out and that youā€™re seeking guidance on your rights. I bet he would back off right away and find someone else. Renters have tons of rights. Beyond the fact he literally broke laws by showing up or sending anyone to your property without property notice. Heck no. Fight that.

3 Likes

I would refuse him entry and tell the landlord and find out what u can do about this. You pay rent soā€¦

3 Likes

I would already have charges brought against him for coming in knowing theyā€™re not allowed around children he should have left and didnā€™t . Ur landlord has to follow the law and hire sum1 esle

6 Likes

Well I would talk to your landlord and tell him that you just donā€™t feel comfortable with that man doing your floor. Tell him about him and he should understand. Thatā€™s crazy, not defending the man but why is he a registered sex offender, cause sometimes not all but some times they have to register if they were with someone younger and family didnā€™t like it JS.

Iā€™d definitely be having a conversation with the landlord. Any decent person would definitely understand and do the right thing. If he doesnā€™tā€¦Iā€™d definitely be looking to move elsewhere and refuse to let them in my home. And thennnn if he insistedā€¦Iā€™d call the law and have em arrested.

I am 1000% sure he is not supposed to be near your children, or any children, and you should report him. Yes everyone needs to make a living, but he needs fo figure out a way to do that and comply with his conditions as a registrant.

10 Likes

I would refuse service and tell the landlord to find another option. You canā€™t erase the past. Always watch your kids as if everyone were a predator. Not out of fear but protection.

7 Likes

So glad I own :raised_hands:t4: sorry for your situation but you definitely have rights and they have been violated absolutely talk to your landlord asap then go from there

1 Like

Sorry by law hes not allowed around kids so the hell if he would be around mine

2 Likes

I would call non emergency because Iā€™m 50%sure that registered sex offenders arenā€™t allowed within a certain distance of children?

Not to mention there needs to be 24 hour written notice for anyone to enter your place

9 Likes

You DEMAND that your landlord hire someone else and remind him that you have two young children! Do not let that man in your house, PERIOD! Even if he arrives, tell him to get lost or else youā€™ll go get your gun

5 Likes

First call the cops !! That horrible goofy scum, knows damn well heā€™s not allowed anywhere around children.
Secondly tell your landlord to find someone else or youā€™ll get him charged for potentially harming your children !

Contact local law enforcement and find out who handles RSO registration and discuss the situation with them.

5 Likes

Look up landlord tenant laws in your area. If laws were violated, then I would seek an attorney.

1 Like

Id call the non emergency police number and enquire, and see what his restrictions are regarding being near children, if he has got help and done time and hasnā€™t offended in a decade, he may very well be allowed to complete work as long as he is not left alone with children?. Find out what your rights are, and if you can request another person complete the work.

4 Likes

Tell him that you donā€™t feel comfortable with the guy being in your house after looking into his pastā€¦

tell your landlord to go fā€¦ himself.

3 Likes

I would go to the police as pepke say he should not be near children. And they can advise and contact landlord

1 Like

I agree with Kayley Laidlaw call non emergency and report it since heā€™s already been there and explain you didnā€™t know until after he left he was a sex offender. Also explain you rent and the landlord has hired this man to come into your house where you have children. Iā€™m pretty sure he wasnā€™t supposed to come to your home since they arenā€™t supposed to be around children. Donā€™t wait call now!!

3 Likes

No fucking way!! Tell your landlord youā€™re uncomfortable with a child predator near/in your home and donā€™t allow it!!! Fuck that!!! Who gives a shit what anyone thinks, itā€™s you job to keep your kids safe!!!

Let the landlord know you know the guy is a registered sex offender and that you will not allow him in your home. Also look up the laws in your area im sure he is not supposed to be around children.

3 Likes

I would most definitely speak with the landlord aand if he doesnā€™t care i would involve the police because he knows what he is and should not be around children period and he being a a registered sex offender knows this

1 Like

If the landlord insists on that guy doing the work, insist that the landlord be present while he is working.

3 Likes

Wow I would be pissed and donā€™t think that guy should be back in your rental house. Also why are you girls running around with no shirts on ? I donā€™t get why some moms think this is ok . A sexual predator can be anyone including your husband !!!

11 Likes