My Landlord Sent a Registered Sex Offender to My House for Handiwork: What Should I Do?

Tell them no period !

2 Likes

Call the police and file a report

4 Likes

Tell landlord you want someone else, other wise you will contact police. And keep good eye on your kids .

2 Likes

You need to talk to a lawyer.
I donā€™t know what they could do but registered sex offenders are not allowed to be anywhere near children.

6 Likes

My husband would be going to jail, because he would beat both their asses.

Iā€™m pretty sure the dude canā€™t even legally take the job if you have kids in the home. Iā€™d definitely tell the landlord to find someone else. Call your sheriffs office to ask if the guy can legally be at your place and forward your findings to your landlord. You pay rent and have the right to refuse someone entry.

4 Likes

I would be calling my landlord.

1 Like

Tell the landlord and call the police.

3 Likes

I hate to say this but different laws go for different offenders!! He maybe able to work line the field he has but not live or be able to stay with kids!! As long as heā€™s registered and doing a job he supposed to be doing itā€™s hard for one to just say I donā€™t want them around!! I lived across the street from one!! We both were left our familyā€™s home!! He worked as a maintenance guy for the housing office!! People used to report him all the time because they were just uncomfortable!!

1. Talk to the landlord, bring up that you were not comfortable with not having any notice of this man or your landlord coming over. There has to be notice and respectfully from now on you would like him to abide by your rights.

2. Explain everything you found and then explain he is not allowed in your house and if neccisary you will have the police waiting at the supposed scheduled time and that youā€™re sure they will assist him to where he belongs.

3.please check your full rights with the police department because chances are they will go look into him first

1 Like

I would call the non emergency police line and ask them what your rights/options are. Iā€™m not sure what you found against the guy, who he is, or what his actual crime was, so I canā€™t tell you what Iā€™d be feeling. However the first thing that comes to mind for me, is some offenders who are listed for life as having offended against minors when they where an 18 or 19 year old with a 16 or 17 year old girlfriend theyā€™d been dating since before they became an adult when the girls parents decided they didnā€™t like him anymore or maybe never did. Maybe this isnā€™t the case here, but check into it before allowing him back into your home for sure!

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be letting that man in the house. Call the cops and tell the landlord that he is not to be In the house. A registered sex offender is not allowed to be anywhere near children.

7 Likes

You deflee can anyone I dont feel comfortable with I dont allow in my house u dont care what my landlord say get someone safe or I call the city and they will come fix it and send you the bill very simple.

2 Likes

I would email or text the landlord so you have a legal copy. Tell him you under no circumstances will have a registered sex offender in your home and to find someone with no criminal record (as he should be doing anyways) this man now knows the ins and outs of your home so I recommend making sure there are locks on all windows and deadbolts on doors.

5 Likes

Am I the only one who says let the guy work. Heā€™s not living in your house. He is simply doing a job. You arenā€™t asking him to babysit your children are you??? No, so let the dude get on with the work. I mean unless he is being creepy and unprofessional that is something I would talk to the landlord about otherwise. Just stay out of his way and more than likely he will stay out of yours. Take a walk and go to the park with your kids that way you wonā€™t have to sit in the house and feel uncomfortable.

4 Likes

If heā€™s a registered sex offender he canā€™t be around children if Iā€™m not mistaken. You have every right to tell him you donā€™t want that man back in your apartment, and I think thatā€™s the best thing for you to do. All the suspects on my murder shows are repeat offendersā€¦ Iā€™m just saying.

2 Likes

You. Have. Rights. Be the good mother you are and say hell no

1 Like

Isnā€™t it in all states that sex offenders canā€™t come within so many feet of a child. If so, I imagine he would have violated just being there

2 Likes

As a tenant you just have to leave the house while he is working if you feel uncomfortable. Your landlord is not responsible for doing background checks on subcontractors legally.

6 Likes

If he is a registered sex offender, I believe the law states he canā€™t be within a certain amount of feet of a child. I wouldnā€™t let him around my kids

Iā€™d tell your landlord you donā€™t want a sex offender at your house and if he gives u a fuss get a lawyer, heā€™s not supposed to be around kids

4 Likes

Well sex offender is public tell your landlord that he will have to get someone else or let yoyr husband deal with itā€¦

If hes a registered sex offender he cant be around your children or anywhere close where thereā€™s kids such as schools

2 Likes

Firstly i would be telling the landlord that you will not be allowing that guy back into your home or around your children.
Also explain that u need notice before coming around,.it is your right to privacy, also send an email so it is in writing.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be pissed too! Landlords dont always follow the rules such as 24 hour notice to come in your home mine has done it too,thatā€™s our right as tenants

Registered sex offenders who have committed times against a child are NOT allowed to be around children Iā€™m pretty sure. You have every right to tell your land lord that this is not acceptable. You can always speak to you local police station about this person if his record is public knowledge they will be able to tell you if he is even allowed around children and depending on what the police tell you, you can use that as leverage to your landlord to find someone else

1 Like

So since so many people think he canā€™t be near childrenā€¦that is not necessarily a true fact. It depends whether he is on supervision like probation or parole. If he completed his sentence then it depends on each state and the laws they mandate. It is best to look up local laws before trying to get someone arrested for this. Do some research and if you find out he is not off supervision or if the law in your state does prevent him from working in homes of families with kidsā€¦then report it to the police.

1 Like

Check the landlord tenant laws in your state to see what type of rights you have in this situation. Most states require a 24 hour notice to enter to the dwelling. It should also help you in the situation of a contractor you arenā€™t comfortable being around. But if all else fails, call your local police (non emergency line) or sheriffs department and they should be able to guide you.

Landlord probably only cares how cheap he is. 1) discuss with your landlord. 2) if he still insists to use said sex offender, let him know that you will have a police officer over during the time. Iā€™m not sure about your area but if you contact the police about not feeling safe with that individual then they send an officer out to you to be with you during that time.

Anyways If the cop is there, the sex offender will more than likely be scared off.

4 Likes

There was no mention to the landlord about a leak by you or your husband? Cause that would make sense for having it checked, but regardless there should be notification upon arrival. Although, having a registered sex offender scoping out under your house is scary! I would not be okay with that! Iā€™d be pissed about this situation too. You should be able to deny entry to your home if you feel unsafe. Good luck!!

No freaking way. You pay rent and if you dont feel comfortable of someone coming into your house have landlord find someone else! Reason is great enough.

Do not let that man back in your house. Tell your landlord you will not allow a registered sex offender in your home where you have 2 small childrenā€¦ If he wants to still push it call the lawyer then get the man trespassed by cops from your home. Fuck that landlord ill be damned if i allow a sex offender in my home.

There are laws that say the landlord can only come without a 24 hour notice in case of emergencyā€¦to check for leak, if not gas then he should give you warning of 24 hours. And I would remind him of that if he refuses to have a non sex offender do the work.

1 Like

Itā€™s past that sis, registered offenders arenā€™t allowed around children, period.

9 Likes

Tell him no find someone else

if he is a registered sex offender he is not to be around any children period itā€™s the law. so yes you can do something

4 Likes

call and talk to you local police dept.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ First off, your landlord has to legally give you a head upā€¦ before himself or ANYONE he hires, enters the place and even than you have the right to ask why they are planning on entering. Also are you absolutely positive landlord hired this guy? Some people are seriously psychos and if said guy is a sex effenderā€¦ maybe he used the idea of you having a landlord to make you feel ok letting him inā€¦ so many open holes, and id be completely upset to! If your landlord IS allowing this creep to enter everyoneā€™s homesā€¦ he should be reported, cause that isnā€™t right and you shouldnā€™t feel you have to move, so your lids and yourself wonā€™t be harmed. This is crazy!! Iā€™d never allow him back in the house until the landlord is there with stated papers, seems really fishy and unsettling!

1 Like

I would tell the landlord fuck no

Ok This is what you do ā€¦Call landloard TELL HIM THAT THING ( NICEST REFFERENCE I COULD MANAGE ) IS NOT COMING TO WORK ON MY HOUSE PERIOD !! Then if he argues you tell him this ā€¦Am.I to understand that your hiring unlicenced uninsured. People to work for you ??? If thats what u want i can help you right now. My uncle is a handy man and works cheap but we have to keep it on the down cause his new wife works for the Housing Authority and she Love Sticking it to SLUM LORDS So maybe she can come talk to you and have CODE COMPLIANCE MEET YOU FOR SOME LUNCH TOMORROW ā€¦HUMMM NO OH OK WELL THATS THAT .!!! HE wont be sending low life scum to you again. If so make that call to housing Now !!!

1 Like

Girl move. He knows how to get under your house now without you even knowing. Haha i would be packing and leaving.

Call your landlord he may not know at least call him let him know what you found and go from there if he does know tell him you donā€™t want him in your home you donā€™t have to let anyone in your home you donā€™t want in and if this sex offender ainā€™t following his rules than he canā€™t be there around children but if his restrictions are some what limited where heā€™s allowed to do a job like that than you canā€™t necessarily do anything to get him in trouble but you definitely can refuse him into your home itā€™s your right your home your paying rent so Iā€™d start with my landlord and tell him but even if he doesnā€™t do anything you can absolutely refuse to let the guy in your home

I would most definitely look up state laws with renting. Most states, they are to give you a notice before arrival and some even a 24 hour notice. Also, if he is using a registered sex offender and refuses to use anyone else, call the help line at your local police station and see what you can do. Simply explain your situation and that you have young children. I wish you the best of luck!

1 Like

Oh no and now he knows where you live and have 2 younger childrenā€¦if the guy shows up call police he isnā€™t to be around childrenā€¦maybe the landlord doesnā€™t know heā€™s a sex offenderā€¦these guys need casterated

You have to right to refuse this as they are not allowed near children especially if you are worried for your childrens safety. Iā€™d tell him to find someone else who isnā€™t a sex offender.

1 Like

He shouldnā€™t be around children you need to ring that landlord asap
Say your husband is very annoyed that w registered sex offender has been in his home with two small kids then pause let him answer this

Tell your landlord you do not want a registered sex offender, a pervert in your home around your two young children. You will not allow him in.

Let your landlord know!

Where do you live? If in the UK then you have the right to refuse access to the landlord and any contractor. Also surely that thing is on a list and therefore shouldnā€™t be within a certain distance of children?

Id call the local police station tell them the mans name and that he is a registered child sex offender doing work for your landlord and that you are very uncomfortable with him around because you have small children. Tell them you want to remain anonymous because you dont want trouble with your landlord. Then let them figure out what to do. If it violates his parole. Im sure you will never see him again. If not they will make their presence known. Make sure that you stress he will be in your home for 2 whole days to do work on ur apartment and that you feel very unsafe. Pull the damsel in distress card if you have to. But im quite sure he isnt allowed near kids.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t let him back in the house. What if he put in hidden cameras when no ones around. Great instincts on your behalf.

32 Likes

U have a right to refuse his service and request someone else. It is your landlords job to find someone who is licensed with no criminal background and he sounds rude as hell and disrespectful for even letting a repairman with such background be even close to your babies. I would also file a police report because he more than likely violated his probation

Without a doubt do NOT allow this person back in your home if youā€™re there or not. Hell especially if youā€™re not there. He could do anything. I would first contact my landlord and explain your feelingsā€¦he may not know about this persons history and if he insists on allowing the sick bastard to do the work i would reach out to my local police departments and see what they recommend. If no one will offer you a satisfying solution I would see if someone come watch the kids during that time and have a friend come stay with me while heā€™s there. I would stand over him and watch his every move until he leaves. Do no allow him an opportunity to be alone in any room. He could plant cameras or anything.

16 Likes

I would definitely express my concerns with landlord. Maybe even look into whether or not this man is even allowed to be near children when working. I know some states have restrictions and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a lot of ā€œred tapeā€, but doesnā€™t hurt to look into it. I think its unprofessional of your landlord bot to notify you of any kind of visit from himself or maintenance workers overall.

29 Likes

Do not let him in your house! And get the locks changed since he was already in the house! Unfortunately, heā€™s already seen your kids. Hell, Iā€™d try to even go as far as moving!

1 Like

You have all right to say no! Tell him no and I would recommend filling a report . You never know if he will come back or something. Stay safe !

5 Likes

You have a legal right to refuse this worker

N need be threaten the landlord if he uses this as a means not to continue the job with someone else.

He should definately not enter ur home hun x

18 Likes

No way! Unless he is hiring a police detail and then ask him to change your locks and be diligent in safety since heā€™s already been inside your home! The movie the green mile screams in my headā€‹:disappointed::weary:

1 Like

Oh HELL no! Do NOT let that man near your babies or even back in your house. I know if I were in that situation, my SO would have words and then some for that mā€™fer. Heā€™d be lucky to leave the house with his face intact.

3 Likes

Usually sex offenders have rules, such as not being near children or in a home with kids under a certain age. I would let the landlord know you feel uncomfortable with him and ask if they have someone else who can do the job.

1 Like

You have every right not to let him in your home. Renter or not you still have rights. And if he is a registered sex offender for crimes against a child he is not allowed to be within a certain distance of children. I would double check with your local police department to see what the requirements are for him staying away from children and present those to your landlord

You donā€™t know if the landlord knows heā€™s a sex offender. So cannot say he is fully aware of him knowing that. Iā€™m sure he knows the law but you can tell him for the future he needs to let you know when someone would be looking at the house. Let him know you donā€™t want that man and why. If he still wants to use him then report them.

5 Likes

Sooooo many slumlords do this, knowing damn well they can afford a decent person but choose the absolute cheapest they can find.
I would let your landlord know especially since you have children at home. If he laughs at you or acts weird, def call non emergency and hear what you can do about this.

No No No Donā€™t let him bCk
Iā€™m the house! Make him find someone else!! A Licensed Contractor Only!! Donā€™t let him cut corners! All of it is Against the law! They have to give you 72 hour notice before they just show up!!

5 Likes

There are so many things wrong with the situation I donā€™t know where to begin. On quick notes if he was just hired off the street he probably doesnā€™t have a contractorā€™s license in which case itā€™s illegal for him to work on your home. That in itself means you can deny him entry to your home. Besides the fact if heā€™s a registered sex offender he is not supposed to be around children I would notify the police

18 Likes

Check your tenant rights in your area. Landlords are usually required to give some kind of notice before having someone out for work, also to see if you have any rights to decline the person working on your house.
I would then call the police non emergency number and see if the worker can actually be around the children.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an awful situation your landlord is putting you and your family inā€¦ Im sorry but how he handled the repair response is poor at bestā€¦ Buuut to hire a RSO to do them is downright despicable!!! Id be livid!!! Iā€™d tell him to Find someone else, period!!! Also strongly suggest you file a report of sorts with local law enforcement. Records are everything. Stay safe and protect those babies!!!:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

3 Likes

I would talk to your landlord first and see if he will send someone else. If not, I would call your local police station and ask if heā€™s allowed around children bc if heā€™s not (most arenā€™t) make it clear youā€™ll have him arrested which will force the landlord to find someone else

3 Likes

Check your state or area laws in regards to rent and how repairs are supposed to be done (some require it to be done by professionals), call the non emergency line and ask the police what the law is as well.

5 Likes

Look on Craigslist for his ad. Look him up. Find out all you can
Then talk to Landlord. He needs to insist Dude calls you before he comes. And KNOCK!

1 Like

I would put it in writing and video someone hand delivering it to the landlord along with the sex offender information and state you do not give permission for this person to be in the home to do the work because you have small children. I would then phone a lawyer and see what they say

1 Like

I think you have a legal right to say absolutely not! And your landlord should be aware also! Landlord should know better!

1 Like

If you definitely know heā€™s a Sex Offender, contact your local Probation and Parole Office and find out if heā€™s still on probation. If he is, there are restrictions as to contact with children under certain ages and proximity restrictions as well. If he violates his conditions he could be revoked and returned to jail. Worth the phone call to find out any information that may be useful to you and Probation and Parole to keep a known predator at bay.

7 Likes

Even in rental propertyā€¦the landlord has to schedule service with the tenantā€¦ can just show up all willy nilly

12 Likes

If he is a sex offender he can come nowhere near your children. If I were you I would reach out to the landlord and point out this fact to him and ask him to hire someone else.

4 Likes

Iā€™d call the police station and ask the non emergency dispatch what you can do & if this man is even allowed in your home.
Iā€™m so sorry you went through this, Iā€™d be absolutely livid. I know itā€™s difficult to snap at the landlord, but how dare they do thisšŸ¤¬

1 Like

Say no! If your landlord gives you any grief about it, go to the courthouse. Absolutely not.

2 Likes

I think you should tell your landlord off politely but also call the police where you are because im pretty sure your landlord knowing thats dude is a pedophile and still sent him to your house knowing you have kids is breaking all kinds of lawsā€¦

8 Likes

I think you have every right to tell him you donā€™t want that man in your house!

2 Likes

I sure would bring it up to the Landlord. If he is any kind of human he would understand your concerns and find someone else. Especially the fact that this offender knows thereā€™s children in the house now. I would NOT let him back in.

1 Like

Sent landlord a letter they have to let you know about work 48 hours before hand! And you have the right to call the police next time ā€œrepairman ā€œ comes to your door! You have a legal right to deny him access to your home do to his records and your protecting your children! Your not Denying get letting Landlord to repair but Denying Access to the repairman landlords have to respect your rights to get another repairman

I would not let him in!

Let your landlord know you arenā€™t comfortable.

You could call 311 with your concerns. They may be able to tell you how to go about it.

Remind your landlord. If something happens and heā€™s not INSā€¦ neither is that floor!

1 Like

Heā€™s probably on conditions not to be around children so I would call local police station to verify and tell landlord absolutely NOT!!! FIND SOMEONE ELSE!!

1 Like

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s something that says he can be near children and your landlord has to make sure youā€™re safe. Heā€™s not safe.

He can legally not be around your children absolutely against the law. Your landlord should be ashamed of himself that he would put you in that predicament. No way would that guy be in my house. Id be phoning the police the minute I found out who he was

Check your state laws, but I believe a landlord is required to give at least 24 hrs notice before coming to, or sending someone else to your house.
You should be able to call your local police to have them advise you on his limitations as to being a sec offender.

Not acceptable by any means. He needs to get someone else. Or. You will call police on him. That is just wrong. Not supposed to be around any children ever!!!

1 Like

Donā€™t let him back in an the landlord is wrong if he knew what the guy is. Call an ask the police department if heā€™s registered with them

2 Likes

Hired or not, that guy would NOT be coming back into my home. PERIOD. (You can always ask your local county sheriffs department about the details of his conviction.) Tell the landlord who he is and what heā€™s been charged with and that as a mother, you will not allow such persons around your children.

You call your local sheriffs department and advise them that there is a registered sex offender who has come into the home with children present and plans to continue returning to the residence while being aware of children living there. Its illegal and he knows it. Talk to your landlord calmly. And if he continues to insist this mans services and continues to show up without the legal notice required (24/hrs prior, etc) there should be a housing authority type thing for renters you can report him to. Renters do have rights. Make sure your aware of your rights

You have every right to say no and to ask for someone elseā€¦

1 Like

This is very serious!!! You need to tell the landlord what you know and tell him he had no right not to tell you before he sent this guy over. You HAVE to go yell police this story. NO NEVER let him in your home again!! Worst part he knows where you and your children LIVEšŸ˜³

Why did your landlord not do a background check before hiring him?:thinking: looks like they both are at the same boat of being offenders. You may want to check out your landlord too.a responsible landlord will not endanger his tenants. Iā€™ve been a landlord all my life, and my duty is for the safety of my tenants at all times.

I would think if you showed your landlord this guys record he would want to find someone else.

1 Like

Definently call the non emergency hotline for the police and ask what you can do if they dont have the answers then local courthouse he would have to be registered thru them and they could tell you your rights good luckšŸŒø

Scream your head off at him and tell if your landlord tell you he wont get someone else block him into that room only keep the kids on the other side of the house and record the guy the entire time heā€™s there with a small camera while heā€™s there. Make sure you dont leave keys around either and tell your kids theyre not allowed to talk to him. I highly suggested raising hell with your landlord bc thats just being arrogant af even my crappy property group is willing to screen people

Hopefully you told your husband about it. And absolutely donā€™t let that man back in your house. Please be safe.

You pay the rent so tell landlord no heā€™s not allowed near children if heā€™s a sex offender. Tell landlord go with reputable company!!

2 Likes

Im maybe wrong but if heā€™s a registered child sex offender, he cant legally be around children? I would find all this out and tell landlord to find a different person or company. If he wont, either call the police station and tell them whats going on and if you want to file a report.

Hell yeah tell the landlord to hire someone else or you just get your own person to do the work & deduct it from the rent. But why isnā€™t your husband around for any of this ? He can take a day off to supervise