My MIL doesn't give my SO and I any privacy: Advice?

Set boundaries with your husband and make sure she is aware. If she cannot listen and respect you, that is a much bigger issue. I know there are a lot of folks on here saying to be grateful for her- but it’s her behavior that is disrespectful… these are your private moments, not hers.

I’ve dealt with similar behavior, it was not squashed when it should have been. Because a few family members thought they were entitled to private information, we told them they were not, they threw a fit of incredible proportion. Set boundaries now- you won’t be able to backtrack later.

All these people saying “be grateful” I get it. I really do. But respect yourself enough to set boundaries and have an adult conversation with your husband and really express how you feel and hear how he does. If he is on the same page then he needs to have an adult conversation with his mother.

1 Like

So are you having a boy or girl? Now I wanna know!! LOL

Both my husband’s and my mothers were gone when we had our last 2 children, wish they were here bugging me and being excited js

1 Like

The mother wants it her way and pushing this lady to do it her way. It a sign of a woman that is trying to re-live her past through her kid and wife. It’s psychic. Give boundaries now.

Maybe you should find something that you could do that would make her feel involved…I think she’s just excited. Enjoy that if you can. I wish my parents lived closer so they could have a close relationship with them. Having lots of people who love them is really beneficial for kids. Set boundaries but decide where she can be involved and also feel important.

3 Likes

Nip it in the bud now. She is not entitled to anything just because she is a grandparent. My partner’s mother was the same way, and she has went so far into attempting to use money or gifts to manipulate us into doing whatever she wants when it comes to our child. Listen to your gut; because when things get crazy, none of these people on here are going to be there to help you out.

6 Likes

Stop informing her of the things. She doesn’t need to know. It’s not her baby. Discuss this with your partner. He needs to have your back.

5 Likes

I understand grandma being excited but I understand the feeling of wanting privacy. It’s her 1st child so she has every right to want to do things her way. When I was pregnant I got upset Grandma was to excited and told family before I was ready to tell everyone. It was my one and only child so yes I agree grandma is excited but this is her pregnancy and she has every right to do it how she would like including privately. Her partner can update grandma when they feel the need

It could be that she genuinely cares that you and the baby are well… as for the gender reveal that’s you business to tell. Maybe her feelings are hurt because she feels out of the loop

You and Your SO do things on your terms and a nd only allow what you feel comfortable allowing. Do your best to include her when you can. Dont be bullied or pressured into more but do your best to not exclude her because you feel she is overbearing. 1st or 10th grandchild that are all as important especially if this her sons first it is significant for her. As a mom to both you best believe I will be all up in my daughters business and I was included in some of my sons apps and in the delivery of 1. It is a special moment and I was truly grateful and appreciative that she allowed that. It is your body and emotions that at stake so just be kind and honest in asking and telling your needs but firm.

Yes this is your baby you CAN be a private as you want. Just know you needing to be “private” excludes those who care about you. There are ways to compromise and work it out. Do you want to see change??? Do YOU want to change?? Start there…

I think she is just really excited… maybe just tell her you guys just want some space in a nice way but let her be excited… some of us don’t have people like this in our lives. Just set some boundaries, she’s excited to be a grandma again :heart::heart:

Make your point clear to her. Explain you and your partner want to celebrate it together before announcing it to everyone. Let her know she will be kept in the loop after you both have had YOUR time to discuss everything.

Put your foot down now. Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. If she can’t respect them then you need to tell her to piss off

This is YOUR and your PARTNER’S baby. You handle the reveal the way YOU GUYS see fit. Nip it in the bud or it’s going to become a much bigger problem. Congrats!

She’s an adult. Tell her like it is and she can deal with it on her own. It’s not about her, it’s about you and your SO and your baby.

I think you need to sit and talk to her… explain you just want to keep a few things to yourselves because before everyone knows it baby will be here and you just want to enjoy those small moment just you and SO… also I wouldnt tell her about appts before hand so she cant call right before them to push for info… just remember she is excited but it is your child and you and SO have final say… give her important details like baby and you are healthy but dont go into more detail if you dont want or dont feel comfortable…

Iamso sorry. Iask permission before posting anything that isn’t my story to tell,

Start leaving her out of stuff or she will try to take over your child. It just happened to me and she’s now not aloud around anyone in my family including MY kids.

You should stop with your judgements. What you described does not sound like invasions of your privacy. It sounds like an involved parent/ grandparent. So many aren’t these days. Try looking at it as not an invasion but a very loving involved parent. And remember…you will be that parent someday. Don’t steal her sunshine. She is not shading you- she just wants to be involved. Enjoy it. She won’t be here forever and some folks aren’t fortunate enough to have others that even care. Use it as a blessing not a curse🥰

Easy fix.

DONT answer her calls. Lolol

You allow her into your space. You let her from a difference time zone.

She’s not to blame. You are. Set boundaries or don’t bitch.