My mom begged me not to get an acestry test done: Advice?

I’m working on my ancestry tree and I am/was going to do the dna part because I would love to know more history. My mom called me today begging I don’t get it done that it would mess up our family and hurt them. I’m really not understanding how that has anything to do with anyone but me and I’m that case is there something she don’t want me to know. I’m feeling lost and confused right now. Should I get it or should I just leave well enough alone.

339 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My mom begged me not to get an acestry test done: Advice?

Id definitely get it. There is something she is hiding.

7 Likes

Gonna guess someone’s been lied to about who their parents are.

13 Likes

Get it done, don’t care about anyone else’s feelings. Clearly she thinks you’re going to find something out and she’s gaslighting you.

3 Likes

If it’s that important to you yes. If your family is truly strong and a good family. It won’t change a thing

1 Like

She obviously dont want her dirty laundry being aired and i doubt she will tell you either, id get it done

12 Likes

If you want to get it done, go for it. I did Ancestry.com

1 Like

Sounds like your dad may not be your biological dad… and she she doesn’t want you to know.

6 Likes

Ask her what is it you need to know if she doesnt want you to have it done.

4 Likes

Yeah… Do it. Someone’s lying about something.

2 Likes

Maybe your dad isn’t who they say he is or you have a sibling out there that they never told you about.

2 Likes

Get it done. You need to know about yourself.

2 Likes

Yes find out before she dies

2 Likes

I would get it, I started to dig without that and I found out a lot of stuff. But also a lot that didn’t need to be dug up. Lot of stuff my grandma didn’t need to relive!

Get it you never know what you might find out

1 Like

Have the government ignore you but take what the LORDS BLESSING

1 Like

If you do get it done , please update us! I’m curious to know what she is hiding !!

1 Like

Get it done, sounds like she is trying to hide something

1 Like

Depends on weather or not you can deal with the outcome

3 Likes

It could be complicated or it could be simple. Maybe you have a sibling you didn’t know about :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe she adopted u and she didnt want u to know I would get that DNA test cuz u have a right to do whats best for u

3 Likes

Sounds like she doesn’t want anyone to know that your dad isn’t your dad. I’d get it done anyways. You getting it done won’t hurt anyone. Anything found out by you would 100% be on her, and she doesn’t seem want to take responsibility for her own actions. Hence her already trying to blame the test for it hurting the family.

18 Likes

I would deff get it now that she said that!! Sounds fishy to me

3 Likes

I’d tell her this is her chance to come clean and be honest. But either way you’re going to get the test done. Unless you don’t want to know? I personally would want to know the truth

3 Likes

Obviously you and others have been lied to about something major enough to cause her this discomfort SO you have two choices.

A) don’t do it. Let it go and keep living life as you have been. But live with the unknowing and a possible lie.

B open Pandora’s box and proceed accordingly. You may learn things you don’t want to know or you may uncover some beautiful truths. Either way, I feel like this is the best option for you at this point.

5 Likes

Get it. Her comfort isn’t your concern. Her behavior is all the more reason to do it. You need and deserve answers.

9 Likes

Uh… you definitely deserve to know any truths to YOUR life.

3 Likes

Now you HAVE to get it done!

2 Likes

She either knows the dad you know as dad isn’t your bio dad or suspects it.

5 Likes

it affects YOU. get it done.

3 Likes

Depends, do you want to know the truth?

2 Likes

It may show family insest and your part of the family tree didnt branch.

7 Likes

I’d still do it. People wanting to dodge the consequences of their past decisions isn’t my personal responsibility/burden, especially if it directly involves me.

You deserve to know who you are and where you’re from.

6 Likes

Girl get that shit done. You are your own person, go do it. She’s hiding secrets from you and this is the only way you’ll get the truth. This isn’t about your family hurting it’s about you, and you’re being lied to about something

Get it done, you have EVERY right to know who you are and where you come from!

2 Likes

She’s either hiding your i or after it’s if the family has hid ancestry

2 Likes

I had a friend do this and everyone told her not to and she did it anyway and some stuff came out that changed her life forever and not in a good way…there is an old saying…let sleeping dogs lie

9 Likes

Yep. If anything is hidden in closet it needs to come out anyway

1 Like

If you get it done post back on here what you found out.

1 Like

Do it and let us know what you find out

1 Like

Well. You’re either adopted or your dad isn’t your dad. Could also be some things in your family tree that she doesn’t want anyone else knowing. Get it done or don’t. But take her begging you not to as a sign that you’re probably not going to like what you find.

10 Likes

Do it and report back here we all want to know :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe there are family secrets she doesn’t want you to find out about

I would have a one on one sit down and maybe she will just explain the situation at hand

2 Likes

It depends on if you think you can handle what you might find out. She’s asking you not to for a reason.

2 Likes

You have every right to know

1 Like

She’s hiding some skeletons in her closet

2 Likes

You should do it, because that’s your right. But whatever the results are, don’t tell your family. Is what I would do. I’m assuming the dad you grew up with isn’t your father.

4 Likes

Get it done, see what Mama is hiding.

I’d do it. Especially since it seems like she’s trying to hide something

1 Like

You do not belong to the man she claims you do. Do it anyway. Tell your “Dad” she cheated.

1 Like

You have a right to know. Do it.

1 Like

Depends are you ready find out some stuff I guess. But personally I would sure do it.

1 Like

I’d ask her to tell you exactly what she means or you will proceed getting it.

2 Likes

My friend 54yrs old did the Ancestry and found out he had 6 siblings. His dad got around

1 Like

Do it I had a man come forward telling me he’s my dad and he has a terrible spinal condition. That could’ve been passed to me & my kids… You have to know. Better safe than sorry :heart:

Mine showed that my Grandpa (Dad’s Dad) was NOT my grandpa. I found his family and found how my grandparents knew the actual grandparent. The DNA family has photos of my dad when he was little as well as my grandparents and their other kids. There could be some things that will throw off something and someone is aware. Maybe wait until people have passed?

A serial killer among ya tree bet

I couldn’t not do it after she said that. You have a right to know who you are, good or bad.

2 Likes

You have every right to know about yourself.

3 Likes

Do it. If there is some dna secret you deserve to know.

2 Likes

I would go to your mom and tell that you have the right to know and if she still say no. I would do the
DNA. I wish my mother was still alive I have so many questions all she would say is a lot of people would go to jail

3 Likes

That’s a weird red flag…it would hurt your family to learn about your own ancestry? That sounds like she’s hiding something for sure.

2 Likes

Get it for ur own peace of mind now just don’t tell her

3 Likes

Maybe you’re related to a serial killer and she doesn’t want you to find out? Hell idk, could be anything, but something doesn’t seem right to me :thinking:

1 Like

Yea my dad found out his dad wasn’t his real dad and all sorts of things I can’t even say on here. Do it if you want but prepare to open up secrets.

6 Likes

This is about you and only you. If you want to get it done most definitely do it. Sounds like mom may have omitted some truths along the way, you have every right to know who you are.

4 Likes

Do it, you could be a missing child from way back before D N A.

2 Likes

Oh I’d definitely get it done

2 Likes

Maybe it will hurt you to learn what every she doesn’t want you to know just thank about it before you do it

That would make me want to do it even more. There’s something she doesn’t want you to know, so just be prepared if you do follow through with it.

4 Likes

I’d ask her to talk to you as to why and explain

2 Likes

And the detector says “he is not your father”

8 Likes

If u want to know you deserve to know

2 Likes

That would make me DEFINITELY do it! You 100% should

4 Likes

Do it. She’s hiding something from you

3 Likes

Get it done for your own sake.

1 Like

ask her why & tell her you are going to get it done

2 Likes

Please join the ancestry dna Facebook groups. Dna doesn’t lie, ur mother is trying to keep you from knowing her lie.

3 Likes

Do it…and tell ur mom to come clean

2 Likes

Ask her what it is that she doesn’t want you to know.

1 Like

You have every right to know about yourself. Don’t deny yourself knowledge for the sake of hiding someone else’s secrets

3 Likes

Sit her down and ask her straightforward what you are suspecting

4 Likes

Mom’s hiding something!

3 Likes

Someone is hiding something

3 Likes

That would make me want to do it even more honestly

5 Likes

I’d ask her to explain why? Because clearly she’s not telling u everything! And I’d be getting it done to find out what she’s hiding …… I’d have a hard time trusting her with her not being completely honest with u

5 Likes

Yes do it. Your mother has secrets. She never told you. You have a right to know. One reason for health reasons. You need to know. She needs to come to clean with you. She should support you. Even if it hurts the family. Do what your heart tells you.

2 Likes

just let it go,you might find out things you dont wanna know.

1 Like

I’d do it and tell her right now is her chance to come clean about whatever it is that she’s hiding.

18 Likes

Do it. She isn’t going to tell you the secret. Find out on your own.

2 Likes

Was your mom a hoe?

I’m pretty skeptical and sus about these ‘tests’

2 Likes

Probably your dad is not your dad and no one knows. Do it now just to learn the truth.

3 Likes

I know doing a family history, I found a lot of good and bad and some I just couldn’t wrap my head around but glad I know

1 Like

Both kids got theirs much to my displeasure, it will be OK. My kids have different fathers and the whitest one has 2% African.

That choice is yours alone. However, I would just because I would want to know - especially if someone tells me not to, because then they may be lying to me and others and I just have a huge personal issue with lying.

4 Likes

Sounds like you bout to uncover some secrets.

1 Like

Do it and ask yr mother if theres something you need to know

There’s obviously something she doesn’t want you to know. Give her a chance to explain.

1 Like