My mom begged me not to get an acestry test done: Advice?

Your mom doesn’t want you to find out that 1.). your dad isn’t really your dad or 2.) you were adopted

1 Like

Get it done. Sounds like your dad isn’t your blood

Do it. You’ve a right to know.

I was adopted and had many unanswered questions and thanks to ancestry dna testing I have found some of my biological family. But I waited until my mid 50’s to search for my biological family.

Your mom has a family secret she doesn’t want you to find out, so be ready to be hurt.
Stand by your mom no matter what because even if biological or if you find out not she is your mom.

Best of luck!

I would. I would feel like she was lying and would prefer to find out. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

I’m still baffled that people are doing this. Putting your DNA in a national data base…

3 Likes

Leave it and do it in a few years and don’t tell anyone
you may not like the results

Be prepared!!!

I’d be pulling this particular thread.

If my mother did that, you can bet I’d be getting that DNA test!

Somethings smelling :fish: to me.

5 Likes

Get it done and don’t tell anyone. It’s your right

It’s human nature to need to know where we came from. Talk to her about it. If you can live with not knowing the rest of your life and not regret it. … Do it. Tell her it’s your choice. Maybe do it after she’s gone. Do not make any promises. The urge to know may be overwhelming. Pray about it. God bless.

Do what YOU feel is best. If you want answers and truth then there you go. You have a right to know and they do too.

Maybe talk to your mom and ask her what problems it will cause. Maybe you can work on it together with out causing a big fuss. But if it had to do with me, I would want to know it’s not healthy to keep secrets

4 Likes

I would want to do it even more. Sounds like she’s hiding something.

4 Likes

I would have it done anyway and I’d tell her I was going to do it no matter what but if there was something she wanted to tell me so I didn’t find out on my own then this is her opportunity to do so. That put’s it on her to be honest with you. Be prepared, it might not be pretty :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Just make sure you are mentally ready for what you find out. Speaking from experience, if you find out something life changing such as a different bio dad after all these years (idk how old you are but assuming at least a young adult) it can really be emotionally taxing. It changes your relationships, not that is should but it does. Prayers that you get the answers you are looking for and your family is supportive!

2 Likes

Somebody isn’t the daddy :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

She’s saying… Your dad ain’t your dad :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This could be the End of your relationship with your mother…could you handle that? You may deny it right now…but whatever it is could pull you 2 apart and be unrepairable …a lifetime decision that maybe you could wait to do when she is gone…?? Or try to get her to tell you…but be prepared…you only have 1 mother…even if you find out she isn’t your blood, she IS your mother…

1 Like

I absolutely would do it. There is something she doesn’t want you to know so I’d give her the chance to be honest and open then review it together and find the answers you need. Either way Do It.

6 Likes

It could be anything. From your dad not really being your dad, to you being adopted, and a more extreme case… She took you from someone. Don’t put it past people. I would get it.

3 Likes

I would have to know for myself what it was she was so dead set on not being found out, but that’s just me… and I don’t think I’d be able to trust any reason she gave me. Seems like mom is afraid something that would end with negative consequences for her might be discovered. I’m by nature a skeptic, though. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Ohhhh the tea :coffee: if you do take it and find out what your mom is hiding we all want to know :grimacing:

9 Likes

I wouldn’t do it but that’s because I’m not a fan of it these DNA things anyway

1 Like

U could do it but keep it to urself

1 Like

Tell her to tell you why , other wise you are moving forward with the rest. I would want to know even more now

3 Likes

Someone in the family fucked up lol

1 Like

get the test , sounds like they got some lies to cover … not your problem let the lies loose ! if your ready for it that is

2 Likes

Your dad isn’t your dad and he doesn’t know… That’s what she is saying without saying it

2 Likes

It’s 1 of 2 things. Either your dad isn’t your dad or your adopted but your mum is definitely hiding something and you need to have a serious chat with her about it

4 Likes

Get it but make sure you think long and hard about how you approach other family members with what you learn

2 Likes

My ex husband’s sister recently did one and found out their mom has a sibling they never knew about who was put up for adoption. They then reached out to her. But they never knew and their mom took it to her grave. You never know what you will find out and if she’s begging you not to there must be something. That call is yours.

Oh wow… she’s definitely hiding something. I’d get it done. It’s not about her and the family secrets it’s about you and knowing where you come from. This could be something major like someone cheated and their kids aren’t their kids or something worse.

youre either adopted - kidnapped - mom isnt your real mom - dad isnt real dad
those are the only reasons right there

DO IT
why listen to your mother especially if your an adult
grow up - DO IT and expose the secrets youve been kept away from

1 Like

Id sit your mom down privately. Tell her you want to do this but are giving her the chance to be honest with you as to why she doesn’t want you to do it.
Youve got every right to do the test but don’t cause her hurt if you can avoid it.

8 Likes

Your DNA is literally YOUR history. No one else’s.
It isn’t your job to keep other’s dirty secrets.

3 Likes

Are u ok with getting it done & keeping ALL the information to yourself? If not, then there’s something she doesn’t want to come out & could be very hurtful. How would you feel if for example- your Dad is not your biological father & doesn’t know it?

3 Likes

I’d get it cause something is going on. I’d guess either your dad isn’t your biological dad or you were adopted.

4 Likes

If you’re prepared to have your whole world flipped upside down then go for it

Don’t get it but tell her you need to know exactly why cause a family fate shouldn’t lay in your hands. That’s crazy

1 Like

I would do it secretly. She has something to hide. If your dad is not your dad you should know. Maybe she adopted you. Then you will look for your real parents. If you don’t do it it will bother you forever.

7 Likes

I would love to do mine due to being adopted

That would make me want it more. Something is being hidden from you and the family it sounds like.

Just do it as that sounds as if she’s hiding something from you, whether that’s who your father is or who is somebody else’s father ancestor/descendants-wise. I’ve found some things out on my end but more of my grandparents and great-grandparents stuff, almost got it completely out of the woodworks.

Maybe they found you lol

I would go to your mom, and have a serious talk. She is definitely hiding something and you deserve to know the truth, especially if it pertains to you. Also though make your ready to know, cuz it’s probably going to hurt.

3 Likes

I’m guessing your mom wasn’t faithful and it’s going to bring it to light. Your father will be sad and hurt…:woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

If you wanna know, do it. Come over yourself warned though.

Yikes. Do they have a rush one you can do because I’d be on that.
Be prepared for whatever may come though

2 Likes

That would be hard. There’s a secret she’s hiding. I’d need to know the truth. But I also wouldn’t want to ruin an innocent person’s life. Maybe your biological father or someone in your family is dangerous. She could be afraid that you’ll find them &, get hurt. Or maybe you were kidnapped & she’s afraid you’ll find out.

Sounds like there is something she don’t want you to find out… why else would she not want you to do it?

1 Like

I would say just be prepared to possibly find out things you might not want to know

4 Likes

Depends. If you’re ready to potentially find out some life altering news, then go for it. Sounds like you could have a different father.

2 Likes

If you’re of legal age, do as you please and get the answers you seek.

2 Likes

There is something she doesn’t want you or anyone else to find out. It’s a decision you will have to make if you want to fi d out what she is hiding or not. I would talk to her and see if she would tell you why she doesn’t want it done.

1 Like

I’d do it, but he prepared to find out your daddy isn’t your biological father.

6 Likes

That would make me get it more

1 Like

Could be you’re adopted, your dad isn’t really your dad or something crazy. Either way you have a right to know!

1 Like

I wouldn’t do one simply because health insurance companies have started denying care based off of some of the findings that come up in them. However, this is different and seems to warrant a heart to heart with your mama.

1 Like

U will always wonder why if u don’t get it done. Just set your results to private so no one else can see them.

1 Like

That would make me want to do it more, but that’s me

3 Likes

I agree with Tammy, could be your family was plagued with fence jumpers.

1 Like

Def get it done, yikes

Get it done. You deserve to know.

Ask her straight up why, if she doesn’t answer you then I’d do it.

2 Likes

Do it anyway you have a right to know. Ask your mother straight up before hand to either tell you before you find out. My ex found out that her grandfather was actually her uncle too and impregnated his daughters on multiple occasions so be prepared it can be something really messed up

1 Like

I’d do it. Just be prepared to find out stuff that you’re not supposed to know. I’d love to do one of those DNA test for the simple fact that my mom made me mad one time and I said I’m probably adopted and she got mad like what is she hiding.

Do it. You have the right to know.

It’s your choice. Your an adult. You have the right know.

Sounds like your father isn’t really your father perhaps :thinking:

1 Like

You may not like what you find out, but if you think you’re strong enough to deal with the truth then do it.

My boss had this done and told her mom “I hope you nor dad had any whoopsies” her mom laughed it off.
Test came back that her father was not her real father. A secret both her mom and (dad) had kept from her for 50 years

Correct me if I’m wrong but these tests only show the mothers side

Be careful what you wish for

If you are above 18 get it done and if she has something to hide tell her either she can tell you or you will find out

1 Like

Just keep in mind this expression “curiosity kills the cat” I’d give my mom the opportunity to come clean about whatever she seems to be hiding. If she doesn’t, then I’d go ahead and get it because I would want to know the truth. There’s a strong possibility that the answers you will get you won’t like, and you have to prepare yourself for that. No matter what the outcome is, just remember that whoever raised you are your family

2 Likes

What if you were kidnapped as a baby!? :flushed:

6 Likes

Get it done. Maybe keep the drama to yourself but at least you know. You have the right to know the truth

2 Likes

Do it just dont tell anyone, also it’s time to take mom out for coffee and a talk.

3 Likes

I’am making over $140 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18944 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://dollarearningjob1593.pages.dev/

I would sit down with my mom and ask for the truth she is trying to hide. If she wasn’t willing to give me that, then I would proceed with it.

1 Like

Do it and keep the results to yourself.

Ask mom why? What’s she trying to hide… give her the opportunity to come clean… if her response isn’t satisfying to you, then get it done for your own piece of mind or curiosity. Be mindful that you may find out some stuff that may be harmful to you and/or others…

Maybe you’re a kidnapped child that’s been missing for 20+ years.

3 Likes

It sounds pretty straight forward. You have a different father or possibly adopted.

2 Likes

You have every right to do it nd know where you really come from
maybe they lied to you and thats not okay

Someone has a secret

Def hiding something

Tell your mom she has a chance to come clean to you. Before you do the test. Give her a chance. Make her feel safe telling you. Good luck.

4 Likes

Well now I’d DEFINITELY want to do it lol

2 Likes

That would make me want to do it even more. There is something she is not telling you. Sit down and talk with her and try to see what that reason is.

1 Like

I would do it. Nice to see where you came from

Either your mom cheated or you’re adopted

You may have older siblings adopted out
Or mum’s been married previously and has children living with her ex husband?

Those are trigger words for me to do it. Do what you feel is right.

Well before you ask, make sure you are prepared for the worst answer.
Your family tree ancestry is one thing but DNA ancestry will just tell you what part of the world your DNA is from. Yours might be different from your siblings too so I think mum let the cat out of the bag personally.

give her a chance t come clean.and if she doesn’t…get it done

1 Like

That would make me wanna do it even more. Have you been kidnapped/switched? Are you adopted? Is the man you’ve known as your father, not really your father? Are you related to a serial killer? The possibilities are endless. I’d do it, but, not mention it to anyone.

14 Likes

Your DNA your decision. Why is she so worried? That would make me more determined.

I say do it. You wanna know so bad so do it. What’s the worst that happen you find something out that nobody else knows about the family