My mom begged me not to get an acestry test done: Advice?

Tell your mother to either tell you what’s up or you’re getting the test. She’s lying to you about something that concerns you and as a person you deserve to know anything and everything that concerns you. Think of current/future health possibilities.

6 Likes

Sounds like you’re not your “daddys”

4 Likes

Why you so worried about what your mum feels, it’s your ancestors too and you have a right to know where you come from. Your mum sounds like a child.

1 Like

Definitely get it done.

1 Like

One or both of your parents aren’t your parents

5 Likes

There is obviously some sort of secret your mum or family is hiding. Which you have a right to know your own biology. I would get it done

3 Likes

Either your mom isn’t your mom or your dad might not be your dad. Take it and find out regardless who it hurts well deserved to know where we come from.

Id be doing it the same day she said it, burning curiosity :joy:

2 Likes

She’s definitely hiding something from you and from probably your entire family…and I’m going to guess it’s someone isn’t the real father of someone…probably you

She cheated
That’s why it will hurt the family

2 Likes

I wanna know the update if you feel comfortable telling us later…good luck

2 Likes

only if You really want to , but remember there may be some surprises

I would get it done obviously something has been kept a secret from you all these yrs and if I were you I would wanna know but just prepare yourself as much as you can and I would tell her I done the dna and if there is anything she needs to get out before you get that envelope see where it goes from there good luck​:pray::pray:

I would be doing it you need your family history and possibly medical history

Yeah no that’d make me want to do it more not gonna lie :sweat_smile: Clearly there is something going on, your mum not being your mum, or dad not being your dad etc

7 Likes

I wouldn’t. If she said all it would do would hurt u or the family there’s no point in doing that just because! You’ve went this long…there’s no sense in causing unnecessary pain!
And I def wouldn’t be doing it because people on this post is just nosey

It is the most needed answer! I found my twins and my birth father in May after searching for ten years. I say do it.
He had no idea we existed and we are so grateful to have the answers. Knowing where you come from is so important!

4 Likes

I would get it done, but be prepared that the person you think is your dad isn’t your dad.

3 Likes

I hope if you have it done you’ll be ok with the results! And if you are I hop you share it or pm me.

1 Like

I would ask her to twll j before getting it sonw

DO IT!!! If she has a secret that is her problem to deal with. Or you could vow not to tell the results to anyone.

2 Likes

Do it anyway. You deserve to know the truth about your family history.

Somebody is hiding something…

Sounds like she doesn’t want you to shake the tree

Sounds like something might open up a can of worms . Maybe you came by a affair and not your dad

I’d be demanding answers at this point. If she didn’t want to share her secret, I’d get it anyways.

I would give her a chance to come clean before you go and do the test. Ask her outright what she is hiding. Take the test regardless of what she says. If there is a secret that she has that concerns you, you have every right to know your family history.

I find it very hard to believe she isn’t hiding something. Hugs I hope you are able to handle the results if it comes back different that what you expect. Best wishes :blue_heart:

6 Likes

Do it and don’t tell anyone.

3 Likes

Depends on if you’re ready for the truth. Sounds like it could bring up some problems for your mom. And possibly a lot of hurt

1 Like

I’d do it but understand there’s a chance your mom or dad isn’t biologically your mom or dad

3 Likes

girl leave it aloneeeeee. there’s family secrets are better left alone.

i did it. i regret it. it’s got me looking at certain family members funny now.

1 Like

If it isn’t broken, don’t break it! Obviously, it would uncover harmful secrets for someone

1 Like

That’s a tough question. I’d ask your mom to come clean with you or you’ll continue with it.

All she is doing is making you want to look into it more!! I would 100% find out what she is hiding, you have that right!! I don’t think that is very fair of her IMO!! Good luck!!

2 Likes

You have the right to know your ancestry. I would tell her how important this is to you and give her the chance to tell you anything before you do it. You have a right to know, and so does your family.

1 Like

She doesn’t want you to know something. Get the test done. You deserve to know the truth.

1 Like

Always a few skeletons hanging from every family tree. Found a few secrets after my ancestry kit came back. Get it done anyways. Just don’t open a can of worms you don’t wanna deal with later in great details… I found that the man who my mother thought was her real father. Isn’t. And they’re all deceased to start any drama. Also found grueling family history that’ll make anybody depressed. It was amazing to know who I am and where I came from. But also left a few bandaids on my heart too. Double edged sword. Good luck love. Just don’t let her know.

2 Likes

I’d want one more now :woman_shrugging: do it!

1 Like

There’s something to hide

1 Like

I would do it… seems like she is hiding something

1 Like

That would just make me want to do it more!

3 Likes

I’d do it but not let her know I did it.

1 Like

Get it done and then come back here to finish the story :flushed::popcorn:

10 Likes

I would do it, she is hiding something. Ask her why she doesn’t want you to do it, you may get some answers :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’m too curious & would want to do it more :grimacing:

1 Like

The only possible thing that she could mean by you getting a DNA test done, is that one of your relatives doesn’t hold the relationship to you that you think they do. So either Dad isn’t your dad, mom isn’t your mom etc… or you’re adopted and she doesn’t want you to know.

3 Likes

She’s got something to hide… do it and find out what :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Leave well enough alone please

Ancestry can reveal all kinds of kinfolks and let you know some long held family secrets. Now , that said, if you can accept the results fine if not don’t do it. P

Sounds like you’re the milkman’s baby :joy:

3 Likes

Seems like even more reason to do it. Shouldn’t you have the right to know you’re ancestry?

2 Likes

Oh now you definitely have to do it! Just tell her you won’t and do it anyway… but whatever it reveals you’ll have to keep it a secret.

3 Likes

Well it’s pretty obvious she’s hiding something so I would just ask her but in any case I’d prob either do it and not say anything or just leave well enough alone. You gotta ask yourself if you find anything out you don’t want to, what will that change?

1 Like

Do it… f it … it’s your DNA … Your choice… just be warned that how you respond to what you learn is your responsibility… there’s likely to be information that is painful

3 Likes

I’d get it done. Especially with her saying that. If knowing your history is important to YOU then whatever secrets are in your mums closest; are hers to contend with. Not yours.

3 Likes

You have a right to know Get it done .

1 Like

It would make me want to do it more :joy:

2 Likes

I did mine and it was something I will NEVER regret! Found out I had a brother I never knew about!

1 Like

Do it. Your an adult and you deserve to know your heritage.

P.S. It sounds like she is either hiding something she had done or something someone else has done. Like cheating🤔

1 Like

DO IT… Get your heart broke

1 Like

I’d do it anyway. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Sounds like she has something to hide.
Different dad
Adopted
Your sister is really your mother

4 Likes

She lied about your dad.

Looks like your about to disclose a big secret. Good luck keep us posted

3 Likes

I would want to know

So she cheated or is a murderer. What’s more likely? Hahahaha

Maybe she isn’t really your mother….

Ummmm definitely do it

It’s your life, you do what you want

1 Like

Get it. It’s you and you have a right to know you. A couple my friends have done it and found out their dad isn’t their bio dad.

1 Like

Do it for you. You do not need to share any information.

Ya dad ain’t your dad. Sorry that’s definitely it if she’s shitting a brick.

2 Likes

I would do it it. You want answers too.

Get it anyways she’s lying about something.

You have to get it done now…….

I want an update lol

You don’t have to tell anyone thr reaults.

Do what you feel in your heart is right?

Ask her to tell u the truth or go for the DNA she owes u the truth…

Could be a big family secret and better not to shake those branches of the family tree

2 Likes

Sounds like a secret she doesn’t want out of the bag.Could be many sinerios.

1 Like

The truth doesn’t win many friends, but it sure influences people. -Batty Koda Fern Gulley

1 Like

I would definitely do it now

3 Likes

Maybe your dad isn’t your real dad? If you do it post a update so well know what’s up

Some options:
She cheated and your dad isn’t your dad.
You’re adopted.
You’re adopted and your ‘sister’/aunt/cousin is really your mom.
Your mom is wanted for some crime she doesn’t want them to trace back through your dna. Or same, but for your dad.
You’re a kidnap victim.
That’s all I can come up with, I’m super invested though! I hope everything turns out okay!

5 Likes

Ask mon to tell you what she doesn’t want you to find out. If she doesn’t…get it done…find out more but maybe keep it to yourself.

4 Likes

Tell her you would rather hear the truth from her no judging and if she won’t then do the test . you were a child now an adult that has a right to know so your kids someday know if you choose to share with them.

3 Likes

You have to get your own answers. She isn’t giving them to you. But…most of all. If she’s telling you no. There’s something she’s hiding.

2 Likes

That would push me more do it. I mean if you do it you can always decide to keep what found to yourself or not?

1 Like

My money is on you’re the mailman’s kid :woman_shrugging:

Yo mama was a ho it sounds like.
Or the tree may have no branches.

I wouldn’t do it if she ask you not to

Dry ur mom is possibly not ur mom ur cousin might be ur sister or ur mom might just not know who the dad is or be ashamed either way I would get it done I did it best decision ever !!! And the site connects u with others that have ur blood line from all over the world .

as somebody who recently started the ancestry project out of boredom: don’t do this. i regret starting the project based off research. the DNA would probably traumatize me :joy::joy:.

LEAVE IT ALONE.

1 Like

Obviously there was a cover up about who someone got pregnant by … I’d do it anyway but since Mom knows the secret & that it will cause problems just keep the information to yourself …

2 Likes

I’d get it done but don’t tell your mom- u deserve 2 know the truth- I want 2 know what happens 2-

3 Likes

Do your test. Dont share the rests and see for yourself. She is scared a secret will come out…love her anyway.

3 Likes

someone’s cover8ng up a secret that only a DNA test could uncover

Either someone cheated , stolen at birth or adopted :woman_shrugging: or taken in at a young age. Honestly do what makes you happy

Do the test, your family problems aren’t your problems.

1 Like

Get it, she’s obviously hiding something

2 Likes

Somebody is hiding something. If she’s worried you’ll find your family well they would have to do ancestry also

1 Like