My mom begged me not to get an acestry test done: Advice?

The dna test by itself isn’t that revealing unless other family members have also done the dna test. Also you choose whether to share the results with others. Sounds like your mom is scared about something.

2 Likes

Once you do it you cannot go back. Are you prepared for whatever you find out? Have a support system ready for you to process

3 Likes

you are always going to want to know now because somewhere there is a secret, someone is hiding something, secrets are never good, just do it

1 Like

Maybe there’s something she is hiding :see_no_evil: I would do it

1 Like

Maybe you should start by asking your mother these questions instead of sharing your dirty family laundry across the internet. Hello

3 Likes

Chances are your dad isn’t your dad. Or they kidnapped you as a child. Or your mom is really your aunt and she had you as a young teen out of wedlock. I’d do it. I would have done it the second she told me not to. I’m too curious and would need to know.

1 Like

I hope she wasn’t hurt and fell pregnant and have kept it from you all.
Just keep you’re answers on the down low. Don’t go picking. You never know. Also if you’re adopted ect
Just know she wanted you. And always wanted to keep you safe…

If you’re dad ain’t you’re dad. Ask her secretly why. As their are so many answer’s…

Do not provoke or hurt you’re mummas mental state sometimes family secrets are better left secret.

Do you’re DNA reply. And talk to you’re mum private.

1 Like

Probably because your dad is not your dad or your mom is not who you think it is. If my mom called me and begged me not to I definitely would.

3 Likes

Get it since she is not telling you the secret. My sistet had the dna test done and found out that the man she thought was her father isn’t.

I would want to know why she is so against it…think there is something u dont know about…heres her chance to come cln. U have a right to know

A lot of comments suggest something nefarious like mom had an affair. And it could be. But maybe mom doesn’t want biological parent information to come to the surface for another reason. It could be something more traumatic like rape resulting in pregnancy.
Obviously mom doesn’t want something to come out but we don’t really know what or why. If it’s me- I am DEFINITELY more intrigued and probably more inclined to find out. However, I would definitely want to be cautious with whatever truths I uncovered. I would not want to hurt anyone I love by digging up a secret that maybe should be kept.
I don’t think there’s a right answer. The writer could sit down with mom and press for answers but it’s a fine line between the “right to know” and mom’s feelings (particularly if something traumatic happened)

Ask her why not if she doesn’t give you an answer get it done find out for yourself

1 Like

Uhm do it how does it make you feel that there’s something secret behind you? That’s the real question. And what ever happened, isn’t your problem to bear the burden of secret, nor is it fair.
Get the test if that’s what YOU want to do.

You aren’t at fault for whatever choices were made.

2 Likes

Sounds like your mom is hiding something, like maybe your dad isn’t your actual biological father or maybe you were adopted. Every one has the right to know where they came from so go ahead and proceed with the ancestry

1 Like

I totally would!!! Definitely update us lol

3 Likes

If you do, don’t tell her and most diffidently don’t tell her the results. You never know who you are related to or why she wants to keep it a secret.

1 Like

Get it done everyone needs to know their medical history

1 Like

Gov will have your DNA on file if you do, may already have from the swabs, she has something going on

Do it anyway, you’re an adult you don’t need moms permission for anything, ask her why or what she’s hiding if she doesn’t give you a reasonable answer do the dna part. It’s all your decision

3 Likes

That’d be more reason, for me… to do it.

4 Likes

Yeah if she won’t give any more details than that it’s actually SHE that’s going to hurt someone.

It’s your history and you’re entitled to it. Literally NONE of this woman’s business.

3 Likes

I absolutely think you should do it now more than before. You shouldn’t be responsible for keeping someone else’s secret. It’s not right

4 Likes

Ur dads prob not ur real dad

6 Likes

Your life…Your choice…

1 Like

Tell her to come clean or you will find out from ancestry . It’s your right to know your background and heritage .

2 Likes

My guess is ur dad isnt ur dad and she doesnt want anyone to find out she had an affair

6 Likes

Sit down & have a conversation with her. Tell her you love her & you want to just talk about whatever it is she has held on alone for years.

Let her know regardless what her reasons are you will not be judgmental. Everyone has a past & that’s just what it is. A past. Let her know you have no intention of hurting her or anyone else but it is your right. Let her speak. Let her explain. Talk to her with respect & delicately. It could be something very traumatic for her & needs to be reassured she no longer needs to feel alone anymore.

Let her know you need to know first & foremost for medical reasons & yourself. History. Future family.

I wish you both much compassion & prayers…a closer bond. Peace & relief for both. :revolving_hearts::pray:

Good luck on a delicate subject with a positive outcome for both.

2 Likes

I know most are thinking this has to do with you but it could also be because of your parents, grandparents or great grandparents. Some families have those whispers /skeletons in the family.

This would make me run out and get one asap .

4 Likes

Yeah, bet your dad isn’t biologically your dad…:flushed:

1 Like

Ur the Sancho’s daughter lol

I’d get it done anyway. It’s your life.

1 Like

Man, generational trauma runs deep.
I hope what ever she’s hiding can come to light.

8 Likes

Either someone in your family committed a serious crime leaving DNA behind that would eventually lead police detectives to a family member, there is incest or someone is adopted… I’m just saying

9 Likes

There’s some secrets in there.

1 Like

I would be getting the test done

3 Likes

Sounds like some skeletons are about to come out of the closet…

3 Likes

Uh oh…Mom has a secret…I would really have it done now, but mom doesnt have to know…

3 Likes

If you want to know, and you want to do the test, do it. There are all sorts of reasons people do these tests … one of them is to determine lineage, but another can be to identify family members so that you can learn more about family health history.

It sounds to me like mom knows something that she doesn’t want discovered.

Whatever the truth is, it’s yours to find out. But be prepared.

Be discreet. Just because you want to know, doesn’t mean you’re obligated to share the information with anyone else. Keep in mind that none of us are perfect & we all have a past … and we all have feelings & a future that we’d like to protect. The “why” is not important at this stage of the game.

Once you’ve gotten your answers, if you think your mom can shed light on the past, have a private conversation with her about your findings, but respect her enough to honor her wishes not to share the info.

Good luck

4 Likes

Mama shouldn’t have lied and played with lives.
This happened in my family and caused a lot of resentment. You’re entitled to know who you come from. Good luck

2 Likes

In my opinion you have even more of a reason to get it done now

4 Likes

The past is the past

She banged someone she shouldn’t have a got pregnant with you, your father isn’t who you think he is, :heart:

2 Likes

Are you really ready if there is a huge fall out?

1 Like

I would talk to your mother. Find out what she is afraid of. If she doesn’t tell you what you need to know. Tell her she leaves you no choice to get it done. But be prepared. Are you ready to accept the consequences.

6 Likes

It is without saying
Be prepared for anything

I’d get it done at that point.

Give it a lot of time. It’s not worth family disharmony.

If you are researching your ancestry, DNA is a valuable tool. You don’t have to share the information with anyone else unless you want to.
The results will show only that DNA information that you, individually have expressed. Siblings don’t even have the same exact results.

1 Like

Leave it alone for your mums sake

1 Like

After that response, I would have to get the DNA test done. There’s something big she doesn’t want people knowing about and I would not be able to resist knowing.

I would say fuck it and get it done

Because someone in your family is keeping a secret…

1 Like

Good grief hon…Wake up and smell the innuendos… Talk to your mom because she’s hiding something!!! She owes you that much…

1 Like

I don’t know how old you are, my dear it’s going to rest on your mind for the rest of your life there is no harm getting it done but the HEALING PROCESS will be hard.“speaking from experience”

I would definitely get it done because now I would be curious as into why she’s not wanting me to get it done

Get it done. You have a right to know anything about you that you may not know.

Get it done. I’d wanna know.

Maybe your dad isn’t your dad or maybe your adopted?

3 Likes

Met niece and 2 great niece’s at family reunion this weekend. Found out others new of my mom’s 2nd out of wedlock daughter. They went to meet her. Never invited me. I never will have the chance. She passed away. I don’t care for the secrets. I’m hurting with the betrayal of said family. I wouldn’t have judged. I love and think family is and should be the most important thing in life.
You make your own decisions. Shame on them if they have skeletons to hide.
Good luck in your choices.

1 Like

Beware of what you ask for. You may find out more than you wanted. With that said: go for it !!!

1 Like

Sounds like there is some dirty laundry she doesn’t want washed. I don’t like secrets. I’d totally wash it for her and myself, if I were you.
I’m sorry you’re going thru this…

4 Likes

Family secrets can be upseyting to some when they are revealed.

Um you most likely have a different dad

1 Like

She’s hiding something I would get it done ASAP just be prepared for what you find out

Get :clap: it :clap: done :clap:

It can reveal so much about your medical history that you never knew.

2 Likes

I did my ancestry many years ago against my mothers wishes I found some unsettling info about there are still some questions I can’t get answers to I would try to talk to your mom get her to open up if possible she knows something that is better left unsaid and if she refuses leave it alone
If nothing good can come from the I information then it doesn’t need to be revealed

Maybe she kidnapped you.

3 Likes

Your mom obviously has secrets. Do it for yourself. Your life is for YOU.

7 Likes

Skeletons in the closet!?

1 Like

I’d definitely get it done

Probably been lying to you who your daddy is.
I know 2 adult men both lied to them into adulthood.
One even asking directly if he was his father.
DNA testing is how we found out.

1 Like

Get it done.cause it will always eat you up. I did.You have a right to know.

I would want to get it done Even more now sounds like she’s hiding something

1 Like

F that she hiding something do it

1 Like

I would sit her dwn n see if she’ll tell u y not do it…if u dnt get the answers u need then I’d go ahead n find out myself good luck in ur journey

4 Likes

Do the test be prepared for the results

Maybe you are the milkman’s?… I’d do it.

Definitely get it done. I did mine and I found a lost aunt from my grandpa’s side of the family. He got a girl pregnant when he was in the Navy and he never knew about it cuz by the time she found out she was pregnant he was already shipped off but now I have another aunt. I’m finding out a lot of old family members too.

You should ask her what she’s hiding

1 Like

Ask her if there’s anything she needs to tell you, if she says no then tell her your doing the test since there’s nothing to hide. Give her a fair chance to come clean

5 Likes

Yep do the test & let them deal with their issues

1 Like

Could you wait until she is gone? It sounds like something she doesn’t want you to know. Maybe give her some grace.

Keep us updated. :smiley: Hope it turns out well.

2 Likes

That would just make me want to do it more!!

4 Likes

Pretty sure you have a right to know and you’re an adult. Do it !!! Then decide what do with the info you find.

2 Likes

I’m guessing she fooled around with the mailman/milkman/pool boy :eyes::eyes: get that test boo :nail_care:t3: she’s hiding something CLEARLY. You’re an adult and have a right to know. She’s an adult and can deal with her own mistakes and misfortune to come.

4 Likes

The reason why is because it takes not only your DNA, but the DNA of everyone in your family as a result(since you are so closely linked through DNA), and then they sell that data to the CIA, Facebook, anyone who wants to buy the research to potentially incriminate or sell things to anyone they want.

This is also not mentioning the fact that the DNA test doesnt exactly submit reliable results to the end user. Iguana’s come back with a full inaccurate profile layout. They just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. Don’t do it.

Either you’re adopted or she cheated.

7 Likes

I would def be getting it so that I wouldn’t be wondering for the rest of my days why she didn’t want it done - all it can do is tell the truth and possibly release some skeletons from the closet.

2 Likes

I think you need to do it

1 Like

You may uncover something you may regret :disappointed:

1 Like

Sounds like her daddy’s best friend could be her bio dad :eyes: or something else :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Sounds like she does want you to know your true dad or find out your adopted

She would give me more of a reason to do it! Someone has some secrets

1 Like

You want a better financial life then should reach out to Mrs Elizabeth James. SHe helped me get out of my debt and now I earn 5 figures weekly from my Crypto investment. I really hope more people get on board and you can simply click on the link below to connect with her.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

A lot more families than people realize have this same drama

2 Likes

Even more reason to get it

1 Like

I would personally need to know especially with how she is reacting but i would keep it to myself if the results are not what you think they should be … i.e. your mom and dad are actually your parents. I have a cousin who got one done and found out his mom had an afair and his dad wasn’t his dad but a man that lived 15 minutes away… and to boot he and his bio dad went to same college, work/ worked at same company and both had the same major/ minor in college. But he also found out he has a sister and brother.

Good luck and God bless you in whatever decision you make.

Thank you Mrs Elizabeth James I don`t believe I can be a owner of such amount in this cashless period thank you a lot for saving my life Your work speaks volumes of the kind of woman you are thank you so much for the profit .