My mom feels I am spoiling my child: Advice?

Enjoy every minute with him.

You sound like youre doing amazing

Hey! That sounds good to me!!

1 Like

Sounds, likes phenomenal parenting. Raise your child, as you see fit. Mama, raised hers. You, raise yours. Nothing wrong, with breaking the mold. Giving your child, options. Very empowering and intellectually stimulating.

42 Likes

I would do the same for my children. They come first before errands or anything else. I see it as, I only have them so little for so long. Of course there’s boundaries like you have. Your mom needs to mind her business. And if she doesn’t all it will do is cause distance and tension and she will lose more then she thinks

8 Likes

I think it’s wonderful that you and his dad still make time for him. In these days everything is such a rush and we forget our kids needs our time to. So just ignore your mother and keep on doing what you’re doing. Your son will grow up forever remembering and cherishing these days with you!

10 Likes

wait. so on your weekend - on your own free time - you let your child choose one activity that you would do anyway? :joy: you’re not spoiling him. you’re letting him make choices. if he said “i don’t know” when you asked him where he anted to go, you’d say “okay well let’s go try a new park! we’ll pick up toys then go” - right? please. :roll_eyes: your mom is crazy.

2 Likes

I think that is an awesome way to “spoil” your kids. I don’t think you spending time with them should count as “spoiling them”. I wish all parents would view having kids this way and the world might not be in the shape it’s in. :heart::heart:

8 Likes

Not her kid, not her problem. I THINK you’re rocking it. You don’t want to be your mom or raise your kids like she raised you. You do you!! Unapologetically.

11 Likes

Sounds like you’re doing a great job. There’s nothing wrong with quality family time

3 Likes

Chores, errands, etc can wait. They are no where near as important as your child. It goes by so fast, you dont want to miss out on the time you do have with him.

5 Likes

Did she work and have you or your siblings in daycare? I think you are doing a great job. It’s a little different if you stay home.

As long as your son understands the word no and he’s helping and doing what he needs to do you need to tell your mom respectfully to mind her own business

1 Like

I think that what you’re doing is amazing! In any case, your child and your family, means your rules!

1 Like

Good for you we all lead busy lives and giving your child choices of what he would like to do in down time is amazing and not being spoilt

1 Like

Your child will be a child for only a short time.your parenting system may be different from your mums. That doesn’t make it wrong. Just like her system is probably different from her mum’s. Keep on as you are, as time goes on you will probably change some things as your child grows, they will be your changes. There is to my thinking nothing wrong in what you are doing. It’s a different world now, than even 10 years ago.

Sounds like a good idea to me. And it’s not like you do a bunch of stuff on the weekends with him you pick one fun thing and the rest of the weekend you have to put your house together. Raising children doesn’t come with a handbook if it works for you and your family that’s the best thing

1 Like

He’s only young for a little while and the way I see it, you can’t spoil a child with love. They need so much positive attention. You sound like wonderful parents! :heart:

1 Like

That does not sound like you are spoiling him. He needs to spend time with you. I do the same with my oldest because he is a new big brother.

1 Like

He’s your child… and honestly I think what you’re doing Is amazing like you said he’s in day care and the weekends are for you and Dad to spend time with him and he also knows he has to be kind and respectful to earn that special day… It’s your choice how you raise him… no one else’s :heart::heart: enjoy it while it lasts they grow up way to fast

3 Likes

Follow your heart. I have 4 beautiful daughters. I am a single parent. I worked 7 days a week
So when my girl’s were growing up . 1 of my jobs I got off early. On that day I would take my daughter out the oldest got the first week and the second week ect ect
My girl’s are adults with children of their own. I am continuing this with my grandsons. My girl’s have told me how much this meant to them.

You are the parents. Time is all you have in this world. Spend it with your baby without worries of what others think. You will not get this time back!

10 Likes

That’s not spoiling at all. It sounds like you’re a great parent. You miss a lot of time with him during the week, it’s only normal to feel guilty or to want to make up for it… and its a good thing. Enjoy your weekends as long as it’s working for you :heart:

1 Like

I think what you’re doing is fine, it’s your child at the end of the day and not everyone will agree. We all have different parenting styles, just this past weekend my son had to catch up on schoolwork but we both needed a break so we went mini golfing and it was great. Today he just did the work that wasn’t done from before. It really helped to take a mini break, these kids need it now more than ever

1 Like

There is NOTHING wrong with 1 on 1 time! That makes u a darn good mom in my book. Not enough moms out there spend time with their kids which the lack of attention then causes the child to act out to get attention in anyway possible. I see this a lot I’m the town i live in

1 Like

Sounds right.you should spend as much time with them well they still want too
They grow up so fast and those precious moments are the most precious times…

Your doing a great job!!! Being engaged in your childs life & wanting to be, is so extra special…your mom should be proud for being involved :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart: your momma had her chance, now you have yours!

Hes your child bring him up as you wish. He will remember these fun days. Sounds like a perfect mother to me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: ignore the negative comments and fill your head with positive thinking and just say that you understand what she is saying but you enjoy these days and so does your son so your going to carry on doing it x

i think its good your are going out having fun with your kids most parents are too lazy to even do the bare minimum.

1 Like

Sounds like you are being a good mom and dad. Keep it up. Those are memories he will have forever.

1 Like

Its family time and great that its something he likes to do and in no way spoiling the child. They are great memories and you won’t always have this time.

As long as you are also showing him responsibility as well then I think your fine. It would be a problem if you have a piles of dirty dishes in the kitchen and you were going out all day and keep pushing it off.

1 Like

Do your mom get invited?? I belive she is jealous a little bit do you spend any days are weekends with her?? And maybe she just upset because she didnt do that with her kids smh keep doing you

You’re doing an excellent job as a Mom. We need more parents like the both of you. Continue doing what you do.:purple_heart:

Weekends are for family time, in my opinion. I think that’s a great thing to do.

You do what works for you guys and spend that precious time with your baby however you feel is best.

It is your family not hers .You are doing what is best for your family.

I do the same thing with my boys - strict weekday School routine and then as soon as Friday evening hits it’s all about down time and fun! Gives them the opportunity to just be kids without all the external pressures - That’s what weekends are for after all :blush:

Just like u said. Ur child. Urs to raise as you see fit. Not a thing wrong with making memories and making your child feel important

I have raised 4 kids and never had the time to spend with them as a single mom, I would give everything I own to have that short time back to build those memories and to enjoy those little things because trust me… Someday those little things might become monumental when they are no longer there… Invite mom to join you so she can see how happy it makes all of you… She just might realize what she’s missing

Housework can wait, it will always be there! Spend time with your child, you can never get it back :heartpulse:

You need to spend time with him. You have rules about him “earning” it. Sounds good to me.

I think all children deserve mummy and daddy time, the cleaning will still be there later, children don’t stay little forever. As long as the child is not dictating etc I don’t see the issue xx

This actually sounds more favorable cuz that’s giving him an incentive to be good. It’s no way at all spoiling

Spending quality time with your child is not spoiling them. Tell your mom she can shove it😂

I think we all need a little spoiling . Time with our children goes by so fast please continue spending time with him :heart:

1 Like

The audacity for you to have some time set aside to actually be family. How dare you?!:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think that’s wonderful that he has that special time.

I’m a stay at home and my husband works long hours during the week. We do the same with our children. The weekend is all about us doing something as a family. We spend the day playing games, or going camping, or hiking. Then on Sunday we do crafts that the kids choose and afterwards we fix what they want for dinner. I don’t see that is is spoiling them at all. Kids need to know they are just as important as your job. My husband gives his job 12 hours, 5 days a week so the weekends the kids get their 12 hours a day for two days.

1 Like

Chores n house work can wait…it good to get out n spend time together…your mother needs to understand Your living YOUR LIFE.

Honestly you’re doing everything perfectly. Love your kid how YOU want to! :heart:

Continue “spoiling” that baby! Family time is so important!

Parents don’t come with a handbook u do what u feel in ur heart ur kids need and do it love ur kids tell them everyday u love them

Bravo! Mom. Sounds good to me

Some folks say you spoil your kid bc they may not have the luxury of doing the same!!

You sound amazing. Trust your gut. Your family, your rules.

That was a beautiful love letter to your baby :heart::heart::heart:

You are excellent parents.

I think its great!! Momma needs to back up

Keep up the good parenting!

Sounds like a solid idea to me.

You all decide not her.

Weekends are for my kids.

I think that’s great. Ur mom needs to take a chill pill

She’s wrong about it. Your kid is your kid and you can love him and enrich his life.

Your doing a great job :100::bangbang:

I’m not seeing a problem.

Not spoiling I love it.

Tell her to mind her own business! Your child your rules like you said you make it all about him on weekends because you don’t get to that in the week, it’s not spoiling him it’s spending fun time together as a family and making memories he’ll remember forever x

1 Like

Tell her it’s not her concern and to mind her own business… You don’t owe anyone an explanation of why you and your husband do the things you do with your child or how you do them. No one helped make your child except you two. And if she isn’t forking out money to pay bills, but groceries or care for your child then she doesn’t have a say.

1 Like

Sounds like your mom went out of her way to not spoil you in fear that you’d grow up to feel entitled. Instead you grew up feeling like you needed a little more attention to made feel special. Now you are doing whatever it takes to make sure your son doesn’t feel that way. You keep doing what you feel is right. My parents never went to any of my school things. My parents had to work so I’d be with a babysitter from 5 am to 5:30 pm. I now have been working nights for 14 years and only missed one of my kids Christmas performance in the last 12 years because I was admitted to the hospital. We are only trying to do what’s right. I do spoil my kids. I buy them whatever they want twice a year for bday and Xmas. I always throw a huge party for both of them every year. Clowns, juggLers, bouncy houses, nerf gun themed shooting range, Mickey Mouse, princesses. I just got a game truck for their birthday (their bday is 6 days apart) and can tell my parents might not at first agree but they always are supportive. But I also take my kids to feed the homeless with me so they can see and feel compassion. Ask your mom what is her fear of you spoiling him and come up with other ways to teach your son. She means well but ultimately it’s your decision and you shouldn’t feel guilty about it.

6 Likes

You cannot spoil a child that age. Your child, your choice. Enjoy every moment and make all the memories you want! You are a good mama!

1 Like

Tell her it’s your child not her. All mom and mom in law should butt out of their children’s business. But some are just to bitchy think they gotta butt in every day. Moms let your child raise their child and don’t call or text advice or tell them what to do unless ask. They know what they are doing.

This sounds wonderful! He will always have these great memories of his childhood! I think you are rocking this motherhood thing and doing an amazing job of raising your child! You will never regret this time spent together as a family!

1 Like

The household chores can wait, your kids are only little for a little while. I think what you are doing it perfect!

2 Likes

It’s your kid you don’t need to explain shit!!!
JS.
Your kid sounds happy that’s all that matters!

Spend as much time with your children as you can, you are teaching your children to love and that is so important,
Don’t ever feel bad for spending time with you children !

I don’t see that as spoiling… I actually think it’s a wonderful thing to do… When he’s all grown up you’ll have all the time in the world to clean, do laundry, etc… They’re only little for the blink of an eye… So spending quality time together doing things you can enjoy together is the best thing you can do for your child…

You are just like me ! My son does virtual school now but when he was physically in school and I didn’t get to see him all day we did fun things on the weekend zoo aquarium things like that … as long as he wa good we still do those things just not as often cause of COVID now but you are in no way spoiling your child!

Hes your child! Nothing to do with your mother you parent him how u want. Xx

Wow before my kid went to school he’s in kindergarten now … we done all different stuff everyday … beach … swimming … playgrounds … visiting animals etc . Everyday we had something planned if it rained we done something indoors like an axtion place :woman_shrugging:t2:

I don’t see a problem

That’s not spoiling your son! The daycare guilt is real. That is why we search for a good daycare. More than likely you weren’t in daycare for that long. I try to make at least one day about my kids, and when my husband is home I try to push family outings at least one day a weekend. You only have this age once so make it worth it they way you see fit. You do what works for your family and what feels right to you.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but you can NEVER spoil your child with time!!! It would be different if you were taking him to the store and letting him buy whatever he wanted and buying his love but you are recognizing you dont see him much and making special time with him. Id tell her to get over it! It’s your child and he will always remember how great his parents were. I know people who send their kids away almost every weekend and wonder why I dont. I work lots so I LOVE my time home with my boys! They are only little for so long!

2 Likes

Did you feel that the house being clean was more important than you? Did you feel like you were forgotten? These are usually why we choose to reevaluate how we raise our kids. Use your experience growing up and your feelings to have an enlightening conversation with your mom

1 Like

I think it’s amazing you guys do this! It shows you actually care about how he feels and make sure he gets quality time with his mom and dad. :heart:

Excellent idea. I bet those will be memories your child will always have. :slight_smile: cherish it. Take others opinions with a grain of salt. Listen , respect, (bc it is your momma) but really do what is best for you and your family. I think it’s great. Your child is lucky.

That sounds like a good way to treat him . Showing him some trust and respect and then spending time with him . The housework and chores are still there wen ya get back . But he will grow up and believe me it flies by and then they are grown and gone and u can’t get that back ! My parent doesn’t see my way of parenting as any good but I have my children respect and manners and they treat me well and don’t lie to me . I think these are the things to have in life x

They are little for such a short time! Enjoy him while you can. He should be the center of your life right now!
They grow so fast and become independent, that soon he won’t want to be with mum and dad. He have friends that are way cooler😎

1 Like

Your child is to young to be spoiled and plus your spending time with him, spoiled is buy a kid everything and anything under the sun. Plus she done raised her kids, your turn now. Love your child the way you want, and tell her less of your doings

1 Like

If y’all can, always spend the time with your baby. Spending time with your child as a family is not spoiling him. If you can financially make it work to have a fun outing every weekend, then go for it! :blush:

1 Like

I think if it works for you and your family, then whatever anyone else thinks doesn’t matter. If you feel happy in those moments, keep doing them. That’s what it’s all about at the end of the day, right? Finding that happiness.

1 Like

That is the best thing to do. I use to only have my son week on, and week off dad would have him. On my weekends it would be about him, and we would go to museums, Cosmics, festivals, etc. He’s 14 now and I always look back to the pictures, or memories in my head and I’ll never forget them. Keep up the great job mama :blush:

Well, if you feel like you need to do household chores include him. We tell our kids ages 1,3 and 12. That they live here and family time is great but also helping out as a whole family and doing something together is good too.

We have our 3 year old help pick up toys, sweep and help put away clean dishes. We encourage him to help out so mommy and daddy have more time to spend with everyone.

Our one year old has been seeing our 3 year old help with things such as putting laundry in the washer or even cleaning up toys and he picks them up and puts them away.

Our 3 year old helps his older sister clear out the clean dishes in the dish washer. Helps her set up the table for dinner and helps with putting away other things that are fit for his age.

Sometimes cleaning can be a family thing. Working towards a common goal as a team. Then we reward them with going out to do something or even just an ice cream.

Have fun with your baby they are only little once… I do the same with my 5 yr old daughter and I tell my husband one day she won’t want to hang out with us so I’ll take it while I can… love my kid family time

All that separation during the week with being at work, and the kids at school, and then when home, its eating dinner, homework getting ready for the next day if you aren’t too tired, so hell yeah, weekends are for fun and leisure with family!

I think it sounds more rewarding for his good behaviour he has things to do to achieve these and it good and it memories spent as family he will remember the memory of these times more than picking up toys lol and I mean even picking up toys together is spent time together kids love there parents time and attention your doing good job don’t let anyone tell u how raise ur children non there Buisnese but urs plus she prob jealous how much of better. Parent u are than she was

Your moms opinion does not matter. It is your child your family your life. Period. Do as you please. Someone’s always gonna have something to say about it. You cant worry about it. He spends alot of time at daycare so good for you for making sure he gets quality time when mommy and daddy are off. Spending time having fun with him isnt spoiling him ,its showing him he matters.

Do what you want with your son, I don’t see anything wrong with what you for your son as long as he stays a good boy. Believe me when I tell you they grow up to fast time flys by

I dedicate my whole day to my kids. When they go to be I clean the house. Even during weekdays. They are my number one. The only thing I do while they are up is cook for them. But once they lay down for bed I clean our house so iys ready the next day. If I have time I prep dinner for the next say. You are doing amazing.