My mom got gastric bypass done and has completely changed in a bad way, help?

My mom has suffered anxiety and depression all her life and this is all on record. She has seen a psychiatrist all her life and has been on medications and etc. however, she was the life of the party. Typical puerto rican, Loud, loved to dance , sing, cook and go out.

but for the Last year and half she doesn’t do any of these things. She’s constantly having breakdowns and crying. and she cant even laugh. she seems slow and she’s fidgety and repeats herself alot. I mean its a disaster… its like she is another person.

My mom’s psychiatrist signed documents to OK my mom for this surgery knowing my mom was truly not mentally stable or prepared for this… and everytime we see the surgeon, he says there isn’t anything wrong with her stomach or any signs in the ultrasound that may show there’s a problem

what should i do? what can i do? i want my mom back and i just dont even know where to begin. I want to sue all those people for ruining my mom… she is so different its sad … please help

174 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My mom got gastric bypass done and has completely changed in a bad way, help? - Mamas Uncut

Make sure she’s taking all the multivitamin she needs. Is she on antidepressants and is she taking them regularly? Is she losing weight? Is her body changing in a way she doesn’t like? Is she disappointed because of lose skin? Something may is happening on the inside? It seems you know that? And I commend you for asking for help. You may want to get her a new therapist or go to therapy with her. Have her dr run tests. Is she menopausal Im not sure how old she is but if she’s at that stage in her life it may be a combo of things. Wish you the best

Has your mom’s medication dosage changed since she’s lost weight? They could possibly need adjusting (assuming she’s lost weight from the surgery)… just a thought. I do know my mom has had her own moments when her weight fluctuated- her med dosages were no longer where they needed to be at…. A lot of med tweaks to find a dosage that got her to a stable place again. My thoughts are with you and your mom :heart:

9 Likes

That what I’m thinking her meds needs to be adjusted. I lost a lot and mine needed to be adjusted.

Has your mom’s thyroid been checked recently?

4 Likes

The only thing I can think of is take hee to see a doctor immediately. Maybe they need to change her prescriptions. I wish her the best. :puerto_rico::heart::puerto_rico::heart::puerto_rico::heart:

2 Likes

Constantly repeating herself might be signs of dementia setting itself up. That’s how my mom started. I called it talking in circles.

2 Likes

I had gastric bypass almost 10 yrs ago. I also changed. The reason I was overweight to begin with was bc it served as a protection. I was molested and being fat protected me from that happening again (in my mind). When I no longer had the weight to hide me, I became different. But I went to a psychiatrist and a psychologist and they helped me with meds and therapy to work it out. I am more myself now than I have ever been. It just took a very long time to work through it.

Having recently had gastric surgery myself I can say it takes a MAJOR toll on your emotions, mine have been a mess since then. I’ve been told it’s my hormones adjusting as I lose the weight. It’s a crazy ride for sure that no one mentioned to me prior to having it done.

Go to a neurologist, get a CT scan or MRI of her head/brain to make sure everything is working properly and yes, ask her family doctor to check her meds. Prayers to you and your mom :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pray:

Bypass changes your psyche. They should not have recommended the surgery if her checkbook wasnt balanced (analogy used for my late husband) she definitely has to take her vitamins daily as they feed the brain of its nutrients & careful with addiction transfer.

1 Like

How old is your mom ?

My uncle had that surgery done too, he didn’t do well after it either… he was only in his early 60’s when dementia kick in. Went downhill fast . Keep fighting for your mom!

1 Like

Ask God for help and do some fasting for your mother it works

1 Like

Why are people so quick to mention suing? Your mother had mental issues PRIOR to her surgery. Since it was gastric bypass, she may need her medications to be adjusted. The surgery can affect the way her body absorbs the medication. Or maybe she stopped taking them all together. I know you’re frustrated and trying to blame all her doctors but that’s really not going to help you or your mother. Start off by taking her to her primary doctor. Maybe have some blood drawn to check her hormone levels to see if they’re off. Explain to them what’s going on. Then they can direct you on what to do next. Good luck. I hope everything works out for her.

I would get another option that surgery can cause mental health problems.

1 Like

Not getting enough protein can cause the brain to get foggy, this could explain the repeating information and is a common complication with gastric bypass patients.
The depression/anxiety is being made worse by the lack of food. She probably got big enough for gastric bypass because she used food as a coping mechanism (foods cause feel good chemicals to be released), now she can’t indulge in her coping mechanism without it making her sick, that’ll make you feel like cr*p on so many levels mentally, emotionally and physically. Also food can be very cultural and not being able to enjoy meals like everyone else a part of her identification and social life has been altered, she’s lost some of heritage in not being able to eat the dishes she grew up loving and making. We equate food a lot with love in certain cultures.

I’m thinking maybe mom needs a different psychiatrist, find one that can handle post gastric bypass depression. Food has gone from an enjoyment to a chore and that is a very defeating feeling.

Someone I know had it done as well and it messed with her psych as well mostly because she lost the weight so fast and she has all the extra skin. She was always a confident person being big and not she’s smaller and extra skin hasn’t helped feel good about herself again.

1 Like

My cousin became very malnutrition after the surgery and now has seizures all the time and has depression and anxiety even worse. It’s so bad she can’t work anymore. Maybe make sure nothing numerological isn’t causing more issues.

1 Like

I had gastric bypass… it ruined my life… The dr cut nerves and scar tissue grew over it… it took many drs to figure it out… I ended up getting a pain pump for my pain…

Its hard to offer any insight without knowing about what medications your mum is on and how long for.
Some psychiatric meds can change people. And sometimes doses may not be right.
If she has been a class of drugs called benzodiazapines like valium ect they can cause a lot of gastrointestinal tract disorders that may not be picked up on tests.
They call it benzo belly.Some meds can allso interfere with short term memory and there are now studys that prove a link between benzo’s and dementia.
Why did she have to have gastric bypass done?
The other thing that could cause changes are low vitamin deficiencies particularly iron.Dehydration is another common cause .Drinking less water then needed can cause confusion aggression.
I would take her to another dr…If you feel there have been significant changes that are not explained by meds.
Talk to her and see if she will agree to getting another opinion or at least having a full blood work up.And tests for dementia as well.
She is very lucky to have you…

I had Gastric Bypass RNY in 2018. My mental health definitely went downhill after but I was able to see a psychiatrist and get placed on Prozac and Buspar. It really is a challenge after having a major surgery. Your body goes into complete shock because of the hormone overload it’s going thru and trying to adjust to everyday life. Best thing to do is start daily activities with her to cheer her up and go from there.

4 Likes

She could need something as simple as a med change

2 Likes

Maybe she regrets getting the surgery and don’t know how to express it. Keep being her support system along with seeing the psychiatrist. It could be many things she thought would be different for her once she got the gastric bypass.:pray:t3::pray:t3:

A lot of medication doses are based on weight. There may be something she took before she lost the weight that is too much for her now.

8 Likes

Any kind of surgery can alter any pre conditions mentally if your prediposed to depression and anxiety it can make symptoms worst or activate them I am praying for your mom seek help for her whomever you can confide in.

My good friend had this done kept complaining was not feeling well.Died from Heart Failure caused by malnutrition. BODY WASNT ABSORBING VITAMINS NUTRIENTS. ALSO AIR POCKET WAS LEFT IN STOMACH. WAS 35 . SOOOOOO SAD. DR. KEPT SAYING NOTHING WRONG.

Just keep getting her to doctors to figure out the problem.

I had weight loss surgery too and I’m telling you, the mental part of it is the biggest change and honestly a lot of people are NOT ready for it BUT they only make u see someone once and they ask a few questions that anyone who wants surgery can answer and get approved. I’m sorry you’re going thru that. Idk what to tell u to do tho.

Another psychiatrist for a mental health evaluation and medication adjustment. Body’s change as do symptoms from medication.

2 Likes

Could be addicted to the pain meds.

1 Like

Honestly it changes people. My wife had the gastric sleeve surgery in May. She has changed in so many ways. Not all good. It’s a hard road. She’s the worst kind of patient(a nurse)and she’s mentally stable. Yet this has taken its toll. I would definitely suggest a therapist and maybe you guys could go together? It has been a roller coaster ride for us for sure! I’m sorry you guys are going through this! I hope things get better soon! :purple_heart:

Her medications may need to be adjusted. Also, losing weight so quickly I’m sure affects the bodies chemistry and hormones.

1 Like

How old;is your mom? Sweetie if;the surgery has already been done it’s gonna take time for her recovery. That’ll include;vitamins&daily diet. Gastric bypass; is a big change. One of;my cousins wife also had a gastric bypass a few years ago. They/she’s;gonna lose some weight afterwards. Cheering her;up with daily activities. Go from;there please keep a. Psychiatrist(shrink) in mind;if she’s not opening up to her kid’s emotionally or a good counselor.

1 Like

The Anastasia could have not worn off all the way and has altered her mentally. This happens. I would get another opinion ASAP. Something is going on. Could be meds could be an infection could be alot of things. Get her to a hospital or another doctor ASAP. Dont wait anymore

1 Like

Seek out a psychologist for therapy all psychiatrist deals more with meds.I pray your mom gets better soon God bless you and your family.

No help regarding the surgery but due to COVID the last year and a half has been very difficult on many peoples mental health and stopped people from doing a lot they normally would have just wondered if this was worth considering if it’s impacted her at all?

My mother was the same way… please check her medicine… my mother had to get here changed 3x till they could find the right prescription. Also if she lost alot fast then she most likely feels bad because of the extra skin. It took my mother 2 years to get over with the extra skin. Watch your mom carefully and see what possibly triggers her episodes. It can be the tiniest thing that alot of people dont knoweth. I hope this helps. :pray:

Nmpala Tori Jackie your take on this

1 Like

It’s very common for these gastric patients to become deficient in Vitamin B12.
Ask her doctor to test for this and Vitamin D, specifically.
Google B12 deficiency symptoms…there’s a lot of them!!

I have to have B12 injections now for life, biweekly.

Could have been an issue with anesthesia. My friend’s mom was having a minor surgery and although the family asked for local anesthesia, the doctors went ahead and gave her general. That triggered lots of issues including onset dementia.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My mom got gastric bypass done and has completely changed in a bad way, help? - Mamas Uncut

I would say check her hormones first

Wish I knew something to help, but I can only send prayers up and virtual hugs y’alls way. Hope they give you positivity and comfort, even if a lil bit :yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

Take her to the doctor.

Get a lawyer and start a medical malpractice lawsuit maybe something happened during the procedure

2 Likes

With that extensive history of psychiatric issues, I’m surprised she passed the psychiatric evaluation portion of getting approved for gastric bypass surgery.

Having weight loss surgery requires strong mental & emotional capabilities. I highly doubt something went wrong during the procedure to cause this (as someone suggested).

I recommend she seek psychological cognitive behavioral therapy. One that specializes in those who have had gastric bypass surgery.

I had cognitive behavioral therapy before having weight loss surgery. Without it, I do not believe I would have been successful.

5 Likes

Maybe she’s just miserable that she can’t eat a proper meal any longer? Maybe she’s regretting having it done? Why are some people so keen to sue everyone?

8 Likes

Have you ever just sat and talk to your mother one on one and ask her what’s wrong and how she’s feeling give her a hug and say I love you mommy there’s Gotta be a reason she’s depressed and maybe if you just talk to her one on one. And that Michelle Dennis she’s right your mother should’ve never passed a psychiatric evaluation for that type of surgery.

2 Likes

I would say no to the gastric bypass.

I work in healthcare some people have adverse affects to the anesthesia even long after the surgery is complete this is something that needs to be brought up to her primary doctor not gastric bypass doctor

4 Likes

Therapy? Maybe she realized that losing weight wasn’t going to fix it after the fact when its should have been suggested by her doctor before.

Not like comparing to my 600 pound life because she was Maybe smaller idk but he always tells his patients to go to therapy

I had a gastric bypass. My surgeon said nothing was wrong when my surgeon was out of town the other surgeon sent me to another hospital there surgeon said there was something wrong so he had to operate when he opened me up he realized my original surgeon report signs match my body and the wrong surgery was done she did a Ruen O procedure not a Ruen Y. Get another opinion I have had to have 3 additional surgeries to fix her mistake. I have had chronic pain and memory issues since my bypass I also had to have my gallbladder out. While going through this I have had extreme depression and anxiety and lost my marriage please consult another surgeon. And psych Dr and therapist the surgery affects everyone differently depending on a case by case basis.

I also am suing the dr the hospital and the Physicians group

Get her a new doctor!

Ask her about her childhood.maybe she needs to release what’s been holding her back.

Part of the stomach produces hormones. She needs to be tested and perhaps needs hormone replacement. Some Doctors are just stupid when it comes to looking at an entire body, not just the surgery. She needs a good Doctor to run tests and get her what she needs. Good luck.

8 Likes

As someone that has had gastric bypass, for a while after you have the surgery you lose yourself as a person, I’m not sure how long it’s been but maybe if it was a recent surgery give her some time and just be there for her. After surgery your hormones are all over the place too.

4 Likes

If she has lost weight then her meds need to be adjusted.

11 Likes

You know when you have gastric bypass surgery your whole eating pattern changes right?? You have to eat smaller portions. I would say she isn’t getting enough nutrients and it’s affecting her overall health. She needs to go to the doctor and have blood work done to start. Her whole system maybe off.

6 Likes

Get a second opinion from another bypass surgeon and have them run their own tests.

Has she ever used food as an outlet for anxiety or depression by chance? Gastric bypass makes you not able to eat nearly as much - if she was already mentally unstable and using food as an outlet the fact you can barely eat could really take a toll. She needs to find another, healthier outlet. Try going with her for walks every day or finding her a hobby that keeps her mind busy like paint by number or something

2 Likes

Sounds like deprssion… gastric bypass is no joke. You can’t eat what you used to eat. It can make the person sick. Have you tried to talk to get about it and find out what’s wrong? How she’s feeling??? Has she had her hormones checked?? Hormones can definitely cause issues with depression and anxiety. Talk to her. I understand the frustration and concern. My mom is the same, no bypass though, but my mom says there’s nothing wrong and she’s not crazy. :unamused:

I reckon she is miserable because her diet would now be extremely restricted, people that have that procedure can only eat a very small amount of food at a time and are very restricted in the types of foods they can eat. I’ve known a few people to be like that when first have the procedure done, but they get used to it as will your mum it just takes time :blush:

This is weird, but have them check for Wernikes Encephalopathy. My stepmother had lap and surgery band this happened to her. She was malnutritioned because of not eating properly after the surgery. It’s typically hard to diagnose because it’s usually only seen in alcoholics.

Maybe she silently constantly worries about it? Like when I figured out I had a kidney disease I began to constantly worry about what I eat and how much money I spend and saying no to food my family made because I knew it was too out of my diet etc. It can usually be more deeper than a physical issue.

My mom got hooked on pain medication after hers. It’s been years of many lows, and few life highs now.

I’m so sorry but I have known several people that had this surgery and their mood changed completely. I don’t know what happens but I don’t understand how her psychiatrist could approve such surgery.

Sounds more like a medication issue. Like potentially a side effect or too much medication. Bypass does change how things are absorbed. I’ve had weight loss surgery and suffered from depression and anxiety. For me it helped because my weight was extremely depressing and caused anxiety for me. I would start by discussing medications and see about adjusting those first. It’s the quickest and easiest thing to do.

Have labs been done to check vitamin and hormone levels? Medication adjusted after the surgery if she has lost weight?
I would be looking into a new mental health provider who understand this surgery and looks at your mom as a whole person. If your mom has had trauma this surgery and changes to her body can bring it all front and center.

Is she taking all of the appropriate supplements and vitamins needed after surgery? Mood, energy, and focus can suffer from a lack of proper vitamins after bariatric surgery.

3 Likes

Get a second opinion.

2 Likes

Is she on anti depression medication? What medications do they have her on is the question? Sounds like she is under a spell! No pun intended… a lot of time the doctors put their patients on Anti depression meds which makes them have depression! FYI the doctors are paid or receive an Incentive by Pharmaceutical companies To promote their new drugs. This is a fact.

It could be anything because with this kind of surgery means an entire change. Meals change, portions change, it does a number to your body. Perhaps she isn’t getting all the nutrients she needs or maybe you need to sit down with her and have a one on one talk with her, a heart to heart conversation and find out why she’s depressed. There has to be more to what she’s going through.

You can PM I had bariatric surgery in 2013. Having this surgery is extremely hard on anyone I was on an emotional roller coaster for the first year. Try to find her someone that has had the surgery that is what got me through my dark days .

Get a second opinion.

2 Likes

MD LIVE…phone call away

How old is your mother? She may be experiencing menopausal symptoms.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like she’s over medicated. Or one of her meds are causing a problem with a different med. Needs a full blood panel . And probably some vitamins

3 Likes

Get a second opinion and fast.

1 Like

i know of someone who has been thru the same thing… and i believe was the medication that slowed her down an had her exactly how u stated… but also…it can also be a spirtual problem…Whats done is done…jus montior her with less medication

Depression is real with this surgery. You don’t get the joy out of the food you eat any more. That s a big thing for people with weight problems. Seek psychiatric care for her now!!! It can make people suicidal. Pay attention!

some surgery’s really take a toll on the body and can cause a delirium depression, she may recover in time, however some do not. Doctors don’t really share this info either…that it could happen…please do some research on surgical delirium depression…This is not your moms fault , it is balance in the brain that is off…this does not only happen to older people…it happens to young people to…and after {any) surgery or bad infection…I never knew this could happen…

2 Likes

Absolutely get a second opinion. She may also now be over medicated due to the weightloss

3 Likes

Your mother needs your love and support. There is nothing more you can provide for her given she already has medical and psychiatric support.
Sending your mum and you healing hugs​:two_hearts::two_hearts:

Major surgery can change and age people tremendously. My dad wasn’t the same after his 2nd knee surgery mentally or physically

anxiety and depression are challanges every woman encounters. some more then other.
you have to help teach the brain to rethink, stop it in it’s tracks and resteer the direction positively.
some days, you just gotta let the roller coaster go …

having a thing installed to help loose weight…

there is possible ptsd going on in the inside of the body .
where there was a lot of work to have done, not so much any more and now the body has extra energy it doesn’t know what to do with .

assisting in losing weight, having to eat smaller amounts,
now you can possibly eat more frequently? check out the beachbody coaching meal guide… they break it down into 6 snacks,
which boosts the metabolism onto burning as you eat and go . - smoothies, food, deserts ext. not

and then unbalanced hormones/vitamins/minerals …

I was miserable ! years.
low iron, low calcium and whole bunch of other things not right …

so maybe a second opinion, but of another sort… there are ways …

exercise helps mental health more then one can think .
easy walks,
lifting tiny weights in front of a tv …
helping someone clean their home, move stuff…

MOTIVATE THAT MOMMA …
Good luck!
Glad Your asking for advice and tips before giving up entryly

Another Puerto Rican here. Does she have issues with her thyroid? Many mental symptoms are very similar to psychiatric ones.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this when that surely was not the expected outcome. Did your mom elect to have this surgery? Did she attend the prerequisite program? People I know attended 6 months of mental health classes before the doctor would sign off on them having this extreme procedure. My heart goes out to you both. :disappointed_relieved:

She’s should go get a hormone test

1 Like

I think before surgery doctors would be giving her serotonin tablets to improve her gastric system and after surgery they must have stopped that which cause depression… in ur mothers case she was on it since long… see take ur file to some another doctor… and ask…

1 Like

So, gastric bypass patient here……

Prior to surgery, I had to be approved by psych also. Something really interesting they told me is that traumatic events, like a major surgery can trigger bipolar disorder especially if you already live with mental health problems. So that could be considered.

But from a medical stand point it also sounds like she could be thiamin deficient which causes neurological issues. I would go over her vitamin requirements and make sure she’s getting everything that’s recommended.

2 Likes

Is she taking her meds correctly? Taking more than what was prescribed can make you agitated shaky an more slow.

take her to different dr.'s to get a second opinion.

1 Like

See if the amount of meds is right for her current body weigh. After the surgery was she reevaluated for her psych meds?

4 Likes

She might need a nutritionist to help her eating habits since she’s limited on ingesting.

3 Likes

Get a second opinion is always a good start. Also have a general health check up and regular blood screenings can help. She likely needs positive support.

Has she had a mild stroke

Go to doctor get a panel done. Could be numerous things. Medication could be one of them. Even a UTI could cause personality changes(usually in elders dementia etc). Keep pushing the doctors that somethings wrong if need be go to a different doctor.

4 Likes