My mom got gastric bypass done and has completely changed in a bad way, help?

If she’s lost weight her medication needs to be reviewed, dosage may need changing. As she’s loosing it fast her body is going to be sucked of it’s nutrients. Also she might be going through the change? You can get a patch to help with that xx

4 Likes

I’d recommend a doctor appointment for bloodwork. Maybe her medication dosage needs to be adjusted. Gastric bypass affects not only your food intake, but also how your body reacts to medication. Before I had mine, I could take 2 ibuprofen pills with no problem. Now, one makes me so drowsy that, if I’m tired and take one pill, it knocks me out in about 15 minutes.

1 Like

Is she on correct medication levels.
If she’s lost a load of weight she may be over medicated now

Could it be the pandemic is the cause & not the surgery? She might need to have her Dr. change up her depression meds. They can stop working over time.

1 Like

I understand your love and where your heart and my heart truly goes out to you. I’m sure she is getting cleared and doing what she can I do respect a lot of the opinions of the other very well knowledged people on this particular forum or post…but speaking from someone who has no bias, you first need to get at least a medical release form in order to be considered in all aspects of your mom’s medical needs. There could be some things she’s keeping from you. So you can start there before getting upset at everyone else. I work at a clinic and I see it too often however starting there maybe you’ll see how she ended up where she’s at now but that’s only if she’s open to the idea. I’m not sure if you already have this or you omit this from you’re post but if you did then maybe you can get her medical records and see what happened follow the trail and maybe start making medical decisions in her behalf or at least being there but you do have to remember that she’s you’re mom she will do what she sees fit. You did state that you’re mother was always seeking psychiatric help I think she was always this way I think it’s just as we grow older we don’t understand the full extend and we tend to understand and grow and see what’s toxic and nontoxic traits in human behavior but I do this this quite often. I hope you find answers and peace.

Somethings thrown her totally of balance…nutrient Imbalances can fog the brain sap energy destroy lives… yes good advice …get her into a nutritious that deals with gastric bypass journey…we have fiends that are with a bypass !..but still it takes maintenance and an upbeat team etc for yourself …self care is pinnacle I have found out :woman_shrugging::two_hearts:…but first another DR go try a Naturopathic clinic …they really know how to deal,with these situations so sorry this has happened​:two_hearts:

Get her to focus on something physical that she loves to do. Swim, dance, sing, anything. She feels kind of lost right now, because her weight has been a big part of her life, like her armor, so to speak. Help her find her spark…whatever she is passionate about. She has probably had some past trauma that food gave her comfort from. I was molested as a child, so I understand trauma in that area. Got up to 302, before I did something about it. After losing 160lbs, I felt lost, lonely and scared. Be prepared for every jerk on this planet to hit on her…when her confidence comes back…but remind her, if they truly wanted her, they would have been there when she was bigger. It’s something she has to do, but definitely find her passion and let her run with it…as long as it’s a healthy outlet.

2 Likes

I had weightloss surgery and I physically cannot do things like laugh etc. now due to breathlessness. And yeah depression/anxiety etc gets worse because our bodies are basically starving all the time, so we are hangry and often feel like giving up on life. Make very tiny meals for her, it’ll make a huge difference. Since my surgery I hate cooking as I feel it’s a waste cause I can’t eat most of it. But if someone else cooked for me I’d be super grateful

I feel this for my self after Bypass Surgery!! I Swear I knew it would change my life for ever ever !!

Take her to another doctor who is good in that area of medicine

It sounds like a neurological issue and not to do with the bypass itself. Get a 2nd opinion and its likely do to the serotonin tabs she’d be given.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My mom got gastric bypass done and has completely changed in a bad way, help? - Mamas Uncut

Has she seen a neurologist?

1 Like

I really think these surgeries make crazy.

1 Like

Take her to the hospital

She needs to go back to see that psychiatrist with you and you advocate for your mom. If she was on medication prior to surgery that was working for her, her altered gut absorption of those medications at the same dose as before may have changed too.

12 Likes

I’ve had gastric bypass but I’m gonna say she might have hormonal issues.

8 Likes

Sometimes our stomachs absorb meds differently. Have them reviewed

2 Likes

Heal her gut and continue with mental healthcare

She will b ok…I was like that even went to unit for while…after my surgury I lost lot weight I wasnt depressed any more love my life now my self esteem went up haveing a ball…she needs this for her…to build herself up she will b ok…I’m fine depression went away no more problems…

1 Like

I have had weight loss surgery. She needs to have her hormones checked.

psych should NEVER have cleared someone with issues like this to have a bypass. Find a different psych for a consult, she may need medication. I also sincerely hope she can get a dietician consult, many times, the nutrients needed, as well as vitamin and mineral, can be lacking post op bypass surgery. She should have levels of vitamin D as well as Iron , and a complete health workup with a well trusted internal med physician. Do NOT let anyone tell you they have the magic cure in some fly by night nutritional program…… go to professionals for professional help.

4 Likes

Not to scare you but she could have had a small stroke that was undetected. I saw that happen so much as a CNA I would try to get her in to a neurologist if you can. Or an onset of early dementia. Good luck I hope you can find the answers

10 Likes

? Hormonal, vitamin deficiency, stress from the weight loss, . There are a lot of physical and emotional issues that should have been addressed prior to surgery.

3 Likes

You should have her checked for vitamin deficiencies. She could be having difficulty absorbing things correctly.

2 Likes

Is she still on medication? Your body absorbs medications different after bypass surgery. I had bypass and it’s been the best thing that has happened to me.

2 Likes

Defintley a hormonal imbalance

Is she taking any medications right now? Stimulants can cause that kind of behavior. If not that, then I would definitely say vitamin deficiency

2 Likes

I would say it’s either normal issues from the weight loss, or that her medication needs to be adjusted due to weight loss. The surgery itself didn’t ruin your mom. She just needs to go back to her psychiatrist.

2 Likes

You need to join some bypass groups and ask them. They will be able to offer much better advice and suggestions and support since they have been down that road.

What type of surgery she had could make a difference…

And if she’s not taking her vitamins and getting proper nutrients from her food sources she could certainly be suffering from malnutrition and or vitamin or mineral deficiency.

Her surgeon needs to run a full panel of blood work to see what’s going on.

That’s not normal…

I had roux-en-y bypass in 2016…

6 Likes

Is she old enough for dementia?

1 Like

My mom has this done and was a bad year but it got better just be there for her and pump her up

2 Likes

I recommend a 12 step program for food addicts. It will help get those feelings out so that she doesn’t turn to something else to change the way she feels.

3 Likes

Psych meds can definitely be affected and metabolized differently afterwards. (I have had the surgery and take three different psych meds.) It could be she just needs a different medication. I know the pain and executive dysfunction that makes a mentally ill person want to not change the status quo. Just keep gently encouraging her to talk to her psychiatrist about the change.

1 Like

Food is an addiction by her getting that Surgery she literally cut off he “happiness” supply food is what made her happy and comforted her I’m saying this because I have that exact problem in my life I use food to fill all voids and comfort me and make me happy when that’s gone you deal with raw emotion

8 Likes

Go to to an Ob/gyn with a good understanding of menopause. Menopause can definitely look “crazy”, but some hormone replacement therapy can be a miracle!!

2 Likes

So… question, did the surgery work for as it’s supposed too?

To me, it sounds like even though she wanted this surgery, she was not ready to “lose” the person she has been. It’s like part of her is gone. She grieving her old self…

She is a “new” person, she has to work on adjusting to her new self.

6 Likes

It’s not their fault. They tell you there can be side affects with that surgery… especially with mental health. It could be some other health issue… like the start of dementia. Depending on her age.

2 Likes

Is it possible she stopped taking meds due to the restrictions on how much your stomach can hold after the surgery?

1 Like

Maybe take your Mom to an all new group of doctors. Seems like so many of the ones she has right now are totally dismissing her conditions. Try it, I did that for my own Mom when she was misdiagnosed by several doctors. and it meant the world to her and all of us. Good Luck!

3 Likes

Maybe it isn’t related to the surgery, you need to look into it from another angle

1 Like

Find her another dr.another opinion

1 Like

I’ve heard some women having hormone imbalances after this surgery. I would look into that for sure.

1 Like

Sounds like maybe a hormonal issue brought on by the weight loss

Have them check her copper levels. I had the surgery 18 years ago and love my life . However back in 2014 I somehow lost all the copper in my body. I became a different person and lost interest in everything and couldn’t function. I did not know you couldn’t live without copper in your body. Didn’t even know we had copper in our body. After a week in the hospital and every test known done. They found I had 0 copper levels. Dr said I shouldn’t be alive but I survived. I had to have copper infusions. 2017 was last infusion I ever had to have and I was right back to myself again. Get them to check her copper levels. It’s done by bloodwork. Good luck and best wishes

I would advise her to return to the bariatric surgeon. It isn’t unusual to have a vitamin deficiency related to this surgery. It’s very possible that her B12 or iron are possibly low. This will worsen her pre existing symptoms from depression and anxiety. Also, it’s not unusual for bariatric patients to discontinue their iron/vitamin supplements due to various symptoms associated with the supplements (constipation etc.). I have a list of supplements that I take that are milder and more effective if this is the problem. I will share my regimen schedule and brand preference if needed.

2 Likes

Vitamin levels should be checked, her meds should be reevaluated (sometimes they needed to lowered to account for her body weight), menopause is a possibility, but really when you lose weight too fast it messes with your head (in a matter of speaking). But I would talk to her doctors’ about your concerns. She may not be discussing it with them.

1 Like

My mother -in-law went to a support group after hers it really helped her learn what some of the things people could go through after the surgery. It really helped her adjust. Sometimes talking to people that are going through the same thing as you can be very helpful. Just a suggestion…

2 Likes

My Mom had the surgery and she seemed slower and weaker for more than a year. She was very good about taking her vitamins and her diet. She’s finally back doing the things she used to do but it’s been a long time to get there. I mean a couple of years and she’s happy. I have a friend who did it for all the wrong reasons and she’s a train wreck and hateful to everyone, but she was a wreck before. She thought it would give her this perfect life and she would be happy and men would flock to her. Hasn’t been the case. Get her to a doctor who will ask the tough questions and who is willing to listen.

Have them check her copper and iron. Or maybe it’s menopause?

Get another opinion. Sometimes it takes even 5. It did for my sister. She needs to see a neurologist maybe. Definition she needs help. God bless.

That surgery changes your body’s ability to absorb and utilize vitamins also so it might have really screwed her hormones and such from extreme weight loss. I’d def look into medical causes with blood work from someone who knows weight loss patients. I hope mama gets her groove back

1 Like

She is nutrient and Flora deficient she needs to rebuild her whole got bacteria. A fecal matter transplant or CRapsules will help

1 Like

She may not be absorbing her medicine and nutrients well. I’ve heard it’s a common problem with gastric bypass surgery.

3 Likes

This isnt the surgery this was your mom thinking the surgery was going to fix her life on all levels! Mentally she was not prepared for either the transition to use the tool correctly or incorrectly with the results. You didnt state whether this was a successful weightloss tool for her but reading this I’m going to assume no because very few people feel that way losing weight.

3 Likes

You need to get medical power of attorney .get her to the right doctors !

Post operation depression maybe?

2 Likes

I have had a lot of gastric issues most of my adult life since my C-section 20 years ago. A lot of the time is when you have surgery like that and you take the proton inhibitor‘s it causes your medication is not to work. There’s no way for them to absorb if she’s taking them orally. So if she’s taking any psych meds they may not be helping her.

5 Likes

she has depression it has nothing to do with the surgery I don’t believe based on your post anyway she needs counciling have your tried talking to her to see what the issue is

I have heard that one of the side effects of that surgery is the inability to absorb all the necessary nutrients your body needs…… if that’s true, then it could logically follow that the lack of vitamins and certain nutrients needed to keep a person “balanced” may no longer be available to her in the amounts necessary to maintain regular function? Disclaimer- I am obviously not a doctor, although I personally know two people who’s health declined seriously due to this procedure. One who suffers physically and one who suffered a tragic mental decline.

5 Likes

Praying for your Mom🙏

1 Like

Just probably needs her meds adjusted since she has lost weight…

2 Likes

She needs to get back to the therapist n get her life back on track

My brother had similar surgery. He was told it can trigger mental health issues. He is now skinny but medicated :woman_shrugging:

Maybe have her checked for dementia? That can change a loved one fairly quickly sometimes.

She needs her meds adjusted. You say she’s suffered from this but was the life of the party, that’s a coping mechanism. I wouldn’t throw her psychiatrist under the bus. They have to pass an extensive psych evaluation and if she passed there is no reason this is the psychiatrist fault. She’s depressed and no longer hiding it and that’s why you have an issue. She just needs new meds or to have the current ones adjusted.

7 Likes

Have they checked her hormone levels?

1 Like

How old is she? Maybe it’s early onset alzeihmers or dementia

4 Likes

A lot of the times food is what made this person happy it was there go too…and not having that escape because of the decrease in the amount of food she can consume can actually be effecting her moods. She should go back to her therapist and find other coping skills along with vitamin supplements and maybe an adjustment in meds ! Also if she enjoys music maybe take her to a Zumba class so she can release natural dopamine. Best of luck❣️

3 Likes

How old is she? This might not have anything to do with surgery. These are symptoms of dementia.

6 Likes

Gastric bypass surgery patient here. I had mine done in 1999. I went through a huge change and continue to have body image problems. I went from a size 32w to my current size 10. I don’t see myself being a size 10 at all. This could be something she is going through. I’d suggest getting her in to her mental health provider asap.

1 Like

Don’t blame the surgery that isn’t what’s wrong with her 🤷

1 Like

In my experience, absorption depends on the kind of surgery, if it’s the sleeve she can still absorb. If it’s the r/y then no she cant absorb the nutrients. There are vitamins in liquid form, as well as IV treatments that can be taken. Speaking of, if she did have the R/y and cant absorb, then she may not be absorbing her psych meds (if shes on any) properly and may also need to switch to liquid ones or sublingual, or buccal ones. There is also a cheek swab the psych can do to test what meds your mom can and cant naturally metabolize (surgery aside) some her body may just reject all together. Maybe change psychs if you feel this one isnt up to par. Ita okay to fire your dr. I wish you the best of luck!!

6 Likes

My housemate had gastric sleeve. She has to chug two protein shakes a day in addition to a lean protein diet to get enough protein in after surgery.

Did she feel like weight loss would solve all her problems and now she still has the same old ones to deal with in a thinner body? Is excess skin depressing her? Is she having trouble sleeping or breathing?

Definitely take her for psych, neuro, nutrition and GP evals & ask about possibility of stroke or mini-stroke (or TIA, transient ischemic attack). Also talk to her bariatric surgeon team.

Hope her situation gets resolved.

2 Likes

…i had this surgery and never saw a shrink. They do this?

1 Like

Look into leaky gut and all the various issues that can arise from that as it’s def a side effect of the surgery (even a lot of people without the surgery have issues with it) there are different kinds of diets that can help and natural bone broth is def beneficial for that

1 Like

Inbox me. My mom went through something similar

Is she going through menopause? I’ve seen women chang and in many bad ways! There is help for that though.

1 Like

I had gastric bypass and I struggled with my mental health. I attempted suicide 3 different times.

First things first is has she had all of her labs checked to make sure she isn’t deficient in any medications. Depending on the weight loss surgery she had some of the surgeries are malabsorptive (RNY and the Duodenal Switch) and the gastric sleeve isn’t necessarily malabsorptive but that one just makes the stomach smaller so you eat less.

If she doesn’t have any vitamin deficiency you can rule that out. If it is she can work on getting that better and see if it helps

If she is ok there then she needs to go back to psych.

I struggled after surgery because I comforted myself with food. It’s a control thing. You can control what you eat but not anything else in your life. Eating can be an addiction too. So if they didn’t learn how to cope with stuff then they need to go to therapy to address those issues and relearn how to cope without using food.

4 Likes

Also with weight loss surgery some antidepressants don’t absorb in the GI tract after surgery. Some antidepressants HAVE to be liquid. Like I take Escitalopram. I HAVE to have liquids. She needs to talk to her Bariatric surgeon and they will have a list of medications that she can take and which ones need to be liquid. She cannot take any extended release medications. With the surgery the new stomachs cannot dissolve the coating and it doesn’t get absorbed correctly.

1 Like

I would get a second opinion. There are so many nerves in the stomach that’s connected to our parasympathetic system. They help control some of our fight or flight response which can induce anxiety. They may have severed or rerouted something wrong or something may have just not connected back right during healing.I know people want to look their best but it’s really dangerous cutting into the body if it isn’t necessary.

1 Like

How is her iron, is she anemic

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My mom got gastric bypass done and has completely changed in a bad way, help? - Mamas Uncut

3 Likes

Could be caused by a lot of things. I found out that even a UTI can cause dementia like symtems

33 Likes

Food is very social and the ability to not eat like one use to, meals are anticlimactic and feels very isolated and lonely, as you are unable to do that anymore can have dire consequences for some people. Comfort food is no longer a thing go her. Definitely speaking to someone, but she has to find something to replace this with and find this to refocus.

7 Likes

My mom had it and they said she was mentally fine for it. Now she’s an alcoholic and gained most of the weight back . And eats and drinks whatever she wants and turned into a different person

4 Likes

I had the surgery, I didnt smile was quiet didn’t want to do anything. I got a job kept busy my mind on other things, my meds had to get off some my iron always low they give me iron in ivy’s I’m anemic too. But my blood pressure and diabetes is better Thank God . Took me a few years to feel like the old me. I’ve kept my weight down too. Get another Dr. Get second opinion too. Praying she gets better soon.

5 Likes

My daughter had the surgery. She lacked Vitamin B and had many deficiencies thereafter until her doctor did bloodwork and tests. I’d check with the Dr. who did the surgery for the bloodwork first. I wouldn’t mess with antidepressants without finding out if there’s an underlying cause first

9 Likes

She probably misses the comfort of food. Eating is not only satisfying, it is very social … can she have alcohol? Probably not! So, she is unhappy with the outcome of this surgical procedure. She didn’t adequately research the ramifications of this procedure and what it would mean to her lifestyle. It’s really too bad. Eventually, she will most likely adapt to the change. Best wishes.

10 Likes

Is she possible going through the change? I am in 50s so going through it. It can cause fatigue, bad headaches, makes you emotional. Could be alot of things. Good vitamins help. Definitely have her see a doctor. May be an imbalance of some sort. Some meds can cause this.

4 Likes

Sounds like she needs her meds looked at maybe changed

11 Likes

I had this surgery and it took me a while to reconcil something. when you are fat you are convinced that being fat is the reason for all your problems… and if you were only skinny everything would be perfect. people would love you, you would be happy and healthy… when that doesn’t happen once you are skinny you can feel hopeless and really start to think something is fundamentally wrong with you that can’t be fixed… its a hard truth to understand that being skinny doesn’t mean happy if you don’t love yourself no matter what you see in the mirror

39 Likes

It is very important that she takes adequate vitamins and that her body is absorbing sufficiently.
Also, seek a second opinion.

4 Likes

Vitamin deficiencies can do a number on a person’s body and sometimes the bypass can cause that. I would definitely get a second opinion. I’ll be praying for you guys to get the answers you need and that God would place her in the right doctors care.

36 Likes

I had the same surgery and 3 years later I almost died until they discovered I was vitamin b deficient. Now I take a shot once a month

13 Likes

Take her to a psychiatrist so that they can manage an appropriate medication regimen for her. She may need different doses or liquid form so that her body can absorb it properly. This is a discussion for a psychiatrist.

16 Likes

Estrogen is stored in fat. As she loses weight, her hormone levels are going a bit haywire. Medication will help until she levels out with her weight loss. The first two years after surgery are the hardest with levels. It does get better, but until then, there is no shame in taking medication.

3 Likes

She’s still your mom.Be glad she is still with you. My parents both passed in the last few years . So cherish every moment. I know what your talking about. My husband had brain surgery and has suffered seizure and several strokes and has been diagnosed with dementia. He not the same either.But we take it one day at a time.thats all we can do.

3 Likes

Also being overweight I wonder if food was like her addiction, made her feel better, and without she is struggling. Kind if nothing between her and her emotions.

10 Likes

In the name of Jesus I decate degree this mom will be set free from the spiritual demons of depression, sadness and ant principalities coming against her.

5 Likes