My mom thinks my boyfriend should pay the water bill even though he doesn't live here: Advice?

So I am expecting my first child I got pregnant at 17 and am now 18 and still finishing high school and living at home, me and the dad are still together however he has moved to another town for work. I am still at home so he can save for a place for me to move up there with him, before his job we lived in my moms house and he payed the water bill even before I got pregnant, now that he’s moved out I don’t see why he should continue to pay the water bill when he doesn’t live here, however, my mom believes that he should because I use water and electricity and I am “his responsibility” when before I met him I didn’t pay anything, it’s as if me and him arnt together anyways since he’s not living in the house or even in town, I tried telling explaining that if I wasn’t pregnant and he left then he wouldn’t pay the bill, but now that I’m pregnant and he “left” (just gone for work) he still has to pay it? Am I in the wrong ? Or is my mom?

60 Likes

He doesn’t have any obligation to. He doesn’t reside there​:woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

He has no reason to.pay it. If you’re still in HS your mom is legally responsible for you… which includes all utilities… cps can be called on her actually. At least in my state

13 Likes

Are you in school full time? If not its time to get a job and help pay bill’s. Pregnat or not. Pull your own weight. Youd be paying more than just water in my house .unless your in school

7 Likes

i don’t think he should have too because he’s no longer there, to me just sounds like your mom doesn’t wanna pay it herself

7 Likes

Your mom sounds crazy lol

12 Likes

Girl you better let that man save his money to move you and that baby over there! Sounds like he cares about y’all! Start your family your mom can handle her own business lol

11 Likes

I think she needs help with bills. It’s your mom you should be helping since you and your baby live with her.

6 Likes

Your mom is still responsible for you until you graduate. If she’s getting child support for you that’s doubly fucked up

He’s not responsible, YOU are, get a part time job like everyone else. You’re 18. You made an adult decision to get pregnant.

7 Likes

Well every body else has to pay their water bill.

Well first off, you’re 18. Sooo you definitely can get a job to help out with your portion since you want to go and have kids while you’re still under her roof…
she still supporting you while you go to school.

Basically you’re a tenant and you’re using her facilities so I mean she can ask you to pay it. And if you’re not working well I guess that lies on him🤷🏼‍♀️

Move out lol

10 Likes

Your mom is responsible for you, not him.

1 Like

Well every body else has to pay their water bill.

Your mom allowed your boyfriend to live with her high school aged daughter, she’s not very rational! How much could a water bill be? Jesus🤦‍♀️

3 Likes

Your mom sounds like she liked not having to pay that bill and became accustomed to him paying it for the time he lived there and now doesn’t want to have to pay it. He has absolutely no obligation to pay it and you are not his responsibility just because you’re pregnant by him.

2 Likes

He has no responsibility other than child support when the baby is born. Then you get a job and help pay and get on out from under your moms roof and take care of yourself and your baby

3 Likes

I agree with your mom, you are his responsibility now since you are still in school and impregnated by him,he should pay the bill,if you move out and your mom insist then you can oppose

5 Likes

No he shouldn’t pay it.
But you could get a job and pay it

5 Likes

Your mom is in the wrong.

6 Likes

Well your adult now, time to start helping with the bills
You cant expect to live there baby n all bill free

6 Likes

Your mom’s wrong. It’s up to you now, not him.

4 Likes

I think your mom is in the wrong.

2 Likes

Your mom is wrong. He shouldn’t pay the water bill. You are her child and you’re a full time student. What is she thinking?

3 Likes

It would be nice if he paid it. Your care and that of your baby cost somebody, why shouldn’t be help with his babies help.

If you’re still in school your mom is responsible for you. She can not charge you to stay there until you are out of school. If you are out of school then yes YOU should help, not your BF who doesn’t live there. It sounds like your mom doesn’t want to pay for it herself and is expecting others to. I would be trying to move ASAP.

2 Likes

quite frankly, if you’re still in high school, you are her responsibility. If he’s working to make a life for you and the baby, and lives elsewhere, he isn’t responsible for your mother’s water bill. He is responsible for your healthcare, your food, and the baby (including medical bills)

15 Likes

Your 18 and should pay your Bill’s You not him .

3 Likes

I don’t think he should have to pay for anything and neither should you if you’re still in high school. Once you graduate it’s a different story.

2 Likes

Well technically you aren’t his responsibility but that baby is!! He don’t live there so NO HE SHOULDN’T PAY… YOU should get out and get you a job & HELP pay the bills. :unamused:

2 Likes

You could get a weekend job. It sounds like your mom is overwhelmed and could use the help, it will also help you guys be able to afford your place together. It’s not his responsibility, but it is yours.

1 Like

No. He should not be paying it. He should be paying you a little to help with pregnancy stuff but no he shouldnt be paying your moms bills. Thats insane.

4 Likes

You are in high school. You are her responsibility.
His responsibilities are the children, himself, his job, his bills.
Mom shouldn’t have gotten comfortable having someone else’s help.
You can always choose to help your mom by trying to land a part time job, it will be difficult to find considering you’re pregnant, and it will be difficult to manage school, kids, and work, but you can do it.

4 Likes

Depending on your age, you may be eligible for Ontario works. If you’re not, the baby is! Call your local application line

Edited to add: I see your age now and you won’t qualify most likely but you can get some help with money for baby! Call ASAP :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You mom is wrong. You should be paying it

1 Like

He should not have to pay for any bills . However , he will need to pay child support . If your mom wants you to pay the water bill , then fine . But he is not married to you and has his own bills to pay . What’s surprising is that your mom ever let your boyfriend stay with you in her home . She made quite a mistake there . Stand strong on your own and help your mom pay for bills as you can . Good luck !

1 Like

Water bill is like $50. Cheaper than rent. Just help out. You are 18. If you were under I’d say that’s on you

1 Like

Wow. You are his responsibility? :woozy_face: you’re your own responsibility, welcome to adulthood. If she expects anyone to pay it, it should be you.

18 Likes

Help out. That’s your responsibility.

2 Likes

She is still in school,under most laws the parents are responsible until they are out of school…unless she marries him.if she were to move out then its hos and the daughters responsibility to care and help each other. And depending on where you are your parents still have to maintain health ins.on you only until your 26.The babies care is his.

5 Likes

He has no obligation to anything. He no longer lives there. You are your mother’s child and still in High School so you are her responsibility. He cares for you but what if he left you for good? You are not his responsibility just as if your mom is a single parent it wouldn’t be her ex’s responsibility to pay her bills. I know many places don’t hire pregnant women but if you aren’t far along it wouldn’t hurt to get a job after school and save for your child and self while giving her a little for the water bill she needs paid.

3 Likes

You were old enough to conceive a child, you are old enough to get yourself a part time job and help your mother pay bills.

20 Likes

Nope, he shouldn’t pay water bill…

1 Like

Your are your own responsability.

2 Likes

You’re 17…you are still her responsibility. When the child arrives it will be partially his responsibility.

3 Likes

You are in school so its your parents responsibility, pregnant or not. It is not his place to pay if he is not living there.

3 Likes

She’s wrong, but you should be paying it. Water bills aren’t that high and she obviously needs the help. Get a part time job, help her and save the rest. Y’all are gonna need it.

3 Likes

For all those saying that she should get a job and pay her/her baby’s way because she is legally an adult, please go back and read the post.
She’s still pregnant and she is still in high school. In most states, regardless of her age, since she is still in high school, her mother is still responsible for her and is responsible for her general well being.
The boyfriend also doesn’t live there, and unless an arrangement for his to continue to pay the water bill was made, he doesn’t have to pay it.

10 Likes

Do you have access to a vehicle?
I’m a stay at home mom and starting doing door dash to help with little bills.
Easiest $200 a week I’ve ever made.
And I live in a small town! Imagine how much you can make in a busy city

3 Likes

Regardless of who is paying a water bill you need to be asking who is gonna help provide for this baby. I personally would get a job. But that’s just me.

3 Likes

Kinda funny seeing people be like you need to get a job and help pay Bills when she is still a high school student. Is having a job a good idea, yea, but what kinda fucked up parent makes their high schooler pay Bills? When she graduates, that’s a talk she should have with her daughter

It’s a water bill lol. It’s not like half the rent. You are perfectly capable of helping your mom since you are living there, high school or not. It’s not like she’s asking you to pay half of all expenses.

4 Likes

You should get a job and pay it.

4 Likes

Nope. He don’t live with you and your not married. The only responsibility he might have is providing for the child

3 Likes

you should be helping your mom out, not him. However, you are carrying his child and in a relationship so in my opinion he needs to be financially helping out with your needs (not wants)

2 Likes

Did he live there for part of this water bill cycle? If so then I think he should pay that bill. Bills after that are not his responsibility. With all due respect, you should get a job and possibly pay the water bill.

6 Likes

He shouldn’t have to. He is trying to get you a place so you may just have to deal with the petty arguing just a bit longer. Sorry your going thru the drama but hang in there mama

3 Likes

You are an adult now so you should pay the bill not him.

7 Likes

You’re mother is out of her mind.

4 Likes

Your mom is absolutely wrong. If he paid water when he was living there, that makes sense as he was an extra person that wasn’t her responsibility. It’s not his responsibility to care for you just because he’s your boyfriend. If your mom doesn’t want you living there, she needs to charge you rent, not demand your boyfriend pay her bills. Period.

4 Likes

Sweetie I know your still in school and all, but you got a baby on the way get yourself a part time job help your mom out a bit and save your money.

6 Likes

He shouldnt have to pay it. When the baby comes he needs to help support the child. And for everyone telling her to get a job not exactly easy being a pregnant highschool student. I would (so long as its not a high risk pregnancy) be doing as much housework as possible for your mom. But in this case i feel your mom is wrong.

3 Likes

If you ain’t paying nothing in the house and you got your room and food and shower and all that you need there and you got it all good and have a man . You should pay for at least one bill . You ain’t gonna be anywhere out there for free even if you go to school that’s not how it works you grown you gonna act grown then …

6 Likes

I also got pregnant at 17 and had a baby at 18 during my senior year of high school. I worked about 25 hours a week during my junior and senior year. I paid for my car insurance and cell phone and any medical expenses for myself, any copays relating to my pregnancy and prescriptions I needed, etc. once I had the baby I paid for everything for him, child care while I was in school and working, diapers, formula (I supplemented breastfeeding), baby food, copays for his doctors appts, etc. His dad did not live with us, I did take him for child support eventually but my parents never expected anything from him.

If your boyfriend isn’t living with you he should not be paying any bills there. If you did not pay bills before you got pregnant then I don’t see why they are starting now. If they want to start when the baby is here because you will have an extra family member living there then they should discuss with you what portion of the bills will be your responsibility.

2 Likes

I think she’s wrong! You’re still her child and her responsibility until you graduate at least. He’s off working trying to make a home for his soon to be family. She should be thankful that you have a good one who’s stepping up and taking responsibility.

3 Likes

So I think you’re an adult and are having a child so I don’t see how you think you can just live for free anywhere . However , I think he shouldn’t “have” to pay but you should be contributing

5 Likes

Your mom is responsible until you’re 18 and or out of hs… so she is responsible for you. You BF is responsible for the baby not u. So until you have the baby it falls on your mom. Once you have the baby the responsibility falls on both u and the father for the baby. Wow, you’d think she would want you guys to save up so you can move out and provide for yourselves.

3 Likes

I was pregnant at 17 and still in school. Trying to get a job that will accommodate pregnancy and a school schedule is really hard. Nearly impossible. He doesn’t live there so he doesn’t have to pay it. If he is giving you money to buy things to prepare for baby then maybe slip your mom a few bucks to put towards the water bill. But to say he has to pay it, when he’s off working and trying to get his life together for the coming baby is petty.

1 Like

These are the responsibilities you have to get ready for :woman_shrugging:t4: but, you should probably be working. Personally, I wouldn’t charge you if I was the mom in this situation. You have to decide if she’s doing it maliciously or not. He doesn’t have to pay for anything if he isn’t there though.

1 Like

Is it his child? He should probably be contributing something…I mean. Lol

2 Likes

You should help your mum out. It isnt neccessarily his responsibility but whether you or him pay it one of you should be. And the difference may well be you were under 18 before. Your now an adult x

4 Likes

If anything you should be paying it unless he agreed to take care of you completely even with marriage it doesn’t always work that way

Entitled much?? You are 18! What is housing worth to you? A water bill your mom could tell you to get out if she wanted to! You are having a child stop acting like one you are old enough to have sex you are old enough to help out!

9 Likes

Man…a bunch of you telling this lady to get a jov while pregnant AND in high school.
Because there are SO many employers eager to hire a soon to be out on maternity leave mama who has to schedule around class. Plus, someone who may be leaving to another town soon???
:roll_eyes: not very helpful at all.

8 Likes

If you’re old enough to make adult decisions. You’re old enough to contribute to the household somehow. So yes, I see where your mother is coming from. Life isn’t free.

3 Likes

18 n pregnant time to help pay bills if requested.

3 Likes

I would say if your mom is supporting you and want some help from your boyfriend then you should offer her the help. It is not cheap supporting you.

2 Likes

Just pay the water bill. Pretty soon you’ll be responsible for all the bills and let me tell you. It sucks. 475 rent. 125 water. 200 electric. 70 wifi. 60 gas…yep it adds up.

3 Likes

You are definitely not “his responsibility” but the baby will be. Harsh reality of having a baby at 18, (I had mine at 19) is your not your mom’s responsibility either. Try to finish school asap and get your ducks in a row something tell me she might throw you out. Unfortunately as soon as you turn 18 you are an adult, school or not. You could try to work something out with your mom. Maybe a side job or government assistance for now to help out with the bills? Feel free to inbox me if you want to talk, I’ve been there.

5 Likes

I think it’s a little l8 for your mom to be acting like this now. If she wants you to contribute to help with the bills, it should have just been a conversation… It’s in no way his way responsibility… What would she do if you never heard from him again? Kick you out? It’s awful she’s acting this way!

1 Like

Pay up mom, till she graduate.

3 Likes

If I were in your shoes, I would feel really bad being 18, pregnant and having my mother still supporting me. Especially, if I knew she struggles with the bills. Even if they were responsible for me because ‘im still in hs’ I would help out.

3 Likes

She is 100% right except that u should be paying it. If you werent trying to be an adult then you wwont have adult responsibilities. You are no longer her responsibility as u made adults decision. Get off ur ass and get a prt time job like other 18 year olds and pay your share!!!

Wow some of these responses are crazy! You are your parents responsibility until you are 18 or out of hs. Your boyfriend is not living there therefore he does not have any responsibility to your parents. He should be helping with anything for the baby. You are not married so unless it comes to something to do with the pregnancy it is not his responsibility. Good luck to you. It sounds like your parents are trying to be petty instead of encouraging you to finish school and make a life for yourself and baby!

7 Likes

Are you able to apply for yourself to get WIC or food stamps for yourself? Maybe if you could get a little assistance it would be enough to make your mom happy that you’re contributing and the water bill issue will disappear

1 Like

Complaining about a water bill… do you know how much kids cost :thinking:

9 Likes

First off it’s not impossible to work a job and go to school MANY do it. & since you’re still in hs it has to be a part time … in my eyes your mom is wrong. If I were you I’d tell my bd to not pay it… BUT then again it’s just a water bill… it’s not like its rent. Cant be too expensive :woman_shrugging:t4: either way… that’s your mother… respect her since you’re still under her rules in her home.

1 Like

He shouldn’t pay the bill if he doesn’t live there. However, since you live there, you should be helping out if possible.

5 Likes

Sounds like your mom got used to him paying the bill and is struggling to go back to paying it on her own. She either needs to suck it up and provide for her child OR kick you out. I don’t think it’s fair to charge your kids any type of bills (depending on your children’s money to make ends meet) until they’re 18. If you hadn’t become pregnant this wouldn’t have been an issue to her. Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t make you his “responsibility.” HOWEVER, I think if you want to keep the peace and keep living there and you know your mom is struggling to make ends meet with you in the house then you should help with the bills as best you can.

Your mom is being unreasonable. She should be encouraging him to save as much as he can so he can provide for you and your child. If you’re able to work do it and save every penny so you can get out. Sounds toxic and manipulative.

6 Likes

Absolutely is a big crock of shit! #1 YOU ARE HER CHILD AND STILL IN SCHOOL. HIGH SCHOOL! NOT AN ADULT IN COLLEGE. SINCE WHEN IS A CHILD EXPECTED TO HELP THEIR PARENTS PAY THE DAMN BILLS? PPL AREN’T RIGHT IN THE F-ING HEAD. DOESN’T MATTER IF YOUR PREGNANT OR IF YOU HAVE A BF. ITS A PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR DAMN KIDS. NOT A KID TAKING CARE OF THEIR DAMN PARENTS. YOUR CHILD ISNT BORN YET, AND YOUR BF ISN’T LIVING THERE! THEIR IS NO EXTRA WATER BEING USED. Now after the child is born, ISNT THAT THEIR GRANDCHILD? But, at that point, yes you should help out alittle or your bf. And then get a job. Unless, your bf is taking care of you with his pay. Ignorance pisses me off. Sorry

Pay the water bill mom she is your child and in high school.

3 Likes

Is your mom wealthy ?
Do you use toilet, shower, washer /dryer, kitchen, electricity, bedroom, etc ?
Somebody is paying for you to have these things.
If your boyfriend is making money, why not contribute for your room & board ?

1 Like

I personally think he should be helping some.

You are 17 years old and still in school? It is 1000% your Mothers responsibility to take care of ALL of your needs which include a safe roof over your head, a warm bed to sleep in, 3 nutritious meals a day(if you haven’t already done so get on WIC), clean clothes, AND RUNNING WATER for you to drink and bathe in. I don’t know if your Mom is trying to teach you some sort of lesson or what, but she is definitely WRONG. Although I wouldn’t really advise to throw these comments in her face, she is probably angry about you being so young and pregnant and is using this as an excuse to be angry with both of you. As long as she is treating you well otherwise, I would just ask her how she expects your boyfriend to save money for him to be able to put a roof over y’all’s head while paying her money every month for water he isn’t using. I wish you all the best of luck :heart:

1 Like

I’m just going to say this of my daughter got Pregnate at 17 and was still going to school and better herself for that baby I wouldn’t ask for anymore it takes a village and she had no problem paying bills before just because ur pregnant shouldn’t mean u now have to pay your finishing school for u and ur baby I would be proud to see my pregnant teenager still focused on school and bettering herself for the bab6

5 Likes

Once you got pregnant and became adult yes you should have help out with there 2 instead 3

1 Like

Your mom is doing you a huge favor. And she wouldn’t ask if she didn’t need it. You should pay her more than that probably.

You’re not his responsibility. The baby however will be both of your responsibilities.

That said, under the circumstances, your mom isn’t wrong for wanting one of you to contribute to the household, she is wrong for demanding your boyfriend do it.

2 Likes

You need to keep paying the water bill. You are his responsibility now if your together. Remember you may need to come back someday. Don’t burn bridges.