My moms dog bit my son: Am I wrong for thinking they should do something about it?

Need some advice. We were at my mom’s house yesterday and their dog bit my four year old in the face. He had to have stitches in two places. The thing is, this isn’t this dogs first time being aggressive. But we go to their house, on average, 2-3 times a week and he’s nothing but loving to people he knows. Before assumptions are made, I make my children respect animals. My issue is, my family is choosing to keep the dog and expects me to allow them to re-introduce this dog to my son despite my son saying he never wanted to see the dog again because he was terrified. Am I wrong for wanting them to hold this animal accountable? Would it be justified to cut ties until something is done? I just feel bad because they’re the only grandparents my kids have. Advice is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance

281 Likes

Dont go over there anymore.

8 Likes

Just wondering and not being accusatory but did the dog just walk up and bite him or was your son in the dog’s face or anything like that?

13 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t bring my child around the dog again. Have the grandparents come to your home without the dog to visit. I don’t think you should cut ties but there has to be boundaries.

29 Likes

You can’t make them get rid of their dog but if you are worried, don’t go there anymore.

21 Likes

Dog bites (in most states) have to be reported. If they are unwilling to secure the dog for the entirety of visits… don’t visit anymore. Your 4 year old may have lingering trauma and fear as a result of this and if his grandparents aren’t willing to put his needs first make them come to your house to visit and leave the dog at home.

31 Likes

There is a reason why a dog strikes out. Introduce your son back to the animal in a controlled way or he will have a fear of animals

13 Likes

Have them lock their dog up while you visit.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bring my child again unless the dog is caged, put in another room, or outside. Maybe they can come visit you? Not only is it dangerous to continue to bring your child you will end up tormenting him if you continue to take him with the dog being around him.

4 Likes

Ask them to put it up while you visit … Or most importantly teach your kid to leave it the hell alone. MOST dogs dont bite for just no reason… Your 4 year old was probably bugging it.

13 Likes

Maybe a compromise dog is outside or in a secure location when you visit

3 Likes

He’s 4… It doesn’t matter if you have rules about animals or not. Kids are going to test their boundaries. And if the dog has bit your kid before, why did you leave your child with the dog? :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

I’m surprised the ER didn’t contact the dog catcher. I was bit in the face by my exes dog and they had the dog removed from the home and put in the pound. A dog that bites is a dead dog to me. Especially if it bites my kids.

17 Likes

Uh my parents dog bit my daughter when she was one and they didnt question to put him down… we were in the er and they were putting him down that moment. That is not ok to not put them down. Illegal actually.

10 Likes

I would like more info on what happened. You can teach kids to respect animals but if the kid thinks they are playing but the dog gets spooked they will bite. Did the dog just walk up and bite the kid out of nowhere?

11 Likes

That’s a big hell no. Dog needs to be rehomed somewhere without children immediately

3 Likes

Don’t go over anymore!

5 Likes

Hmmmm dog or grand baby? Love my dog but I’m afraid he would be rehomed with someone who doesn’t have babies/ grandbabies

2 Likes

Going through the same exact thing! But this dog has attacked before and I personally feel he should be put down because the owner isn’t responsible enough to keep the dog separate from the child…

19 Likes

That dog seriously hurt your son, he is a danger. I wouldn’t risk my sons safety. I wouldn’t go over there. Invite them to your house instead.

2 Likes

I would not be going back over there with the dog present. Dogs don’t always have a good reason to bite so don’t put your son at risk of it happening again. If they want to see your son then they can come too you without the dog. I would also report the bite.

4 Likes

Let the kid continue seeing his grandparents on your terms at your house or in a public place and let them know he won’t be allowed at their house until something is done

3 Likes

If they aren’t willing to at least keep the dog in a separate area while your son visits, maybe tell them they can see him at your home.

3 Likes

It’s not a child friendly dog :roll_eyes: get over it glad you teach your child to respect animals you however need to teach him not to be afraid of animals but this is ignorant to make them get rid of the dog a mutual agreement needs to be mad

11 Likes

Don’t take your children there

1 Like

Nope! Dog goes! Or is locked up during visits. Period. My MIL’s dog bit my daughter in the mouth years ago, she tryed to hide it from us because she knew we would flip!!! She took my kid to CVS to get antibiotic cream and scar cream. I happened to call my daughter to check on her and she told me where she was and what she was doing. My hubby was livid!!! He ran for the dog and i damn near ripped his pants off to keep him from choking the little bastard out!!! However, dog was put away when we visited from that point on.

Have them keep the dog in a different room while you visit
If they can’t or won’t them don’t take your baby back over there. Make them come to your house

2 Likes

I think you could come to a compromise with maybe creating or putting the dog outside or elsewhere in the home when you’re there

2 Likes

I don’t think you should necessarily cut ties, but I would certainly set boundaries. If the grandparents want to see you and your son, then they should come to your house and leave the sog at home. Or, do phone calls or facetime until such time that your parents realize you won’t put your child in danger anymore.

1 Like

Many dogs are fearful of small children, and many dogs reaction is to strike at the child. (They have teeth and claws for protection)… the best thing for your mom to do is understand that her dog is aggressive to small children and keep them away. The dog isn’t the one who needs to be held accountable, the owner is. That’s their responsibility. They know their dog is reactionary to small children so they should keep the dog away from small children.

5 Likes

Honestly. I would get rid of the dog if it was mine. When I was 10yrs old I got attacked by a PitBull, he was tied to a tree+dog house and I walked around a garage that was ours. I knew that dog an it just attacked me one day. I had to go to the hospital an everything. I’m still terrified of dogs but I owed 3 (2PitBulls, 1Lab) after it. It takes lot of reassurance to get over something so traumatic

The hospital should of reported the bite and then the dog would be evaluated by animal control for behavior and agression issues. At least that’s how it is where I live.

7 Likes

I had my face almost completely torn off by a dog when I was younger, and the judge ordered the owners to put the dog down, and I hated that they had him put down. Maybe compromise and have them take their dog to a trainer and go through obedience classes and keep the dog outside, downstairs in another room or whatever until progress with the aggression has been made and your child feels more comfortable around the dog. But it’s important that your son goes around the dog or other dogs as well that way he doesn’t develop a fear of dogs. Also, try to remember, there’s no bad dogs, just bad owners.

5 Likes

Dog needs to be put in a room or outside when you visit or they visit at your home.

1 Like

That’s actually not true Heather. I’ve always gotten along with animals my entire life but you have animals that are just naturally aggressive and will bite for no apparent reason. I’ve met quite a few like that. I would not blame a 4 year old on causing a dog to bite him/her in the face. I had a lab when I was about her child’s age and I was swinging on my swing set minding my business and that dog came up behind me, bit my hood, and yanked me off of the swing set and tried to bite me in the face. My dad saved me. I was taught to always respect animals but you have animals out there who are AGGRESSIVE. I personally wouldn’t bring my baby over there anymore until they do something about the dog because that’s dangerous in any situation.

5 Likes

If he’s been bit before, why did you let him around the dog again? Dogs don’t typically just bite for no reason either…:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I agree with several above, the dog is their responsibility and your child is yours. Was it reported to the authorities?
That being said I have a 2 yr old and a grouchy 13yr old dog that does not do kids so I always keep him kenneled if kids are at our home because their safety and the dog not being in that situation is my responsibility.

1 Like

Stop visiting. Animal control should’ve taken the mutt and put it down. Any dog bites my kid, I’m snapping it’s neck.

7 Likes

I’ve gone through this exact thing and the stupid rat of a dog has bit EVERY grandchild and myself. At 10 lbs the dog is lucky I only punched her off the bed instead of punting her like a damn football. It’s still my parents “child” so i stand beside my children’s decision to demand it not be near them. But in regards to accountability, no they shouldn’t kill their dog for you. Stand your ground and make them put the dog in a room or outside. If it’s an issue leave.

Just have them come to your house to visit or cafe the dog when u visit, if u know its an aggressive dog this should of already been happening

1 Like

I’d call animal control I don’t care whoa dog it is it should be be reported I swear people so dumb with kids and safety these days how hard is it to report dog bites and shit ugh!

If they cant put the dog up while you guys visit then tell them your not coming over anymore they can come to you.

2 Likes

I have two Labradors and a Mini Aussie … I always put them in my room when I can’t be eyes-on with ANYONE at my house

2 Likes

Well idk what kind of parents you have but if your son didnt do anything to ask for the aggression then the dog would be dead. No exceptions

6 Likes

Ok everyone pretty much implying this was the childs fault are seriously dilerious. Ask yourself this… If it was YOUR child, what would you do!? If the dog bit it needs to be put down. End of story. My fiance personally let his dog bite a few times (disciplined her, bit her back ect) until the time she did it and someone did get hurt enough to get stitches. And she needed put down. If it bites once, itll bite again.

8 Likes

I think you are in the right the dog needs to be brought to a trainer possibly needs e-collar training, or a muzzle you can rehabilitate an aggressive dog I’ve seen it but no it should not be allowed around children.

3 Likes

Have them come to your house instead :wink:

If the won’t lock up the animal, then my kid wouldn’t be going into that house. Ever! He bit him, he can very easily kill him

4 Likes

I would have them keep their dog in a different room while you guys are there and if they won’t do that I’d invite them to your house. I wouldn’t cut ties until they get rid of their dog but I’d definitely make it clear your child won’t be around the dog and you have no desire for them to be reintroduced. So, that’s up to them what they want to do.

I would just have them put the dog in a room or in the garage when you guys come over. If they can’t at least do that then you aren’t obligated to visit them simple as that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Teach ur mom a lesson. Stop going.

2 Likes

I would be reporting them family or not.

4 Likes

My kid would not be going in that house as long as that dog still lives there. No questions asked.

1 Like

Your baby is going 2 b afraid and the dog is going 2 pick up on that. If the grandmother chooses 2 not put the dog away when u all visit then so b it. Y would u want your baby around “grandparents” that put a dog b4 their grandchildren’s safety and comfort?

1 Like

If your son doesn’t want to see the dog, that’s completely understandable, and ok. As a parent myself I wouldn’t make him see the animal either, unless that child was ok with it.

As to holding them/ animal accountable that depends on your state or country in witch you reside. I would also add that if this wasn’t the first time it happened I’m wondering why you would take the child back over, and I’m also wondering what caused the dog to bite?

As for you allowing them to see their grandchildren, that’s fine, just do it out side of their home until the problem is resolved.

I mean… Whats wrong with putting the dog in a crate for a few hours while the kid is there? It wont kill it. Or put it in a seperate room? Someone to dog sit? Id like to think a grandparent would be willing to do these things to keep their grandchild safe. Maybe im wrong

3 Likes

That would be traumatizing for your son I really think that they should come visit you instead, your not wrong or dramatic and for them to not see where the dog biting their grandson is an issue is an issue in itself. I would also make note of it to animal services because if it was sudden and unusual behavior you should be worried.

My daughter got bit by a dog at her grandparents when she was 1. Next day it was super infected and she had to have emergency surgery. We are still close they just put the dog in their room when we were over. I still view it as an accident.

3 Likes

I think there is missing information making it hard to give my true opinion. Did the dog give any signs that it was uncomfortable? Even when children respect animals, some animals just arent meant to be around children. Now if your child just walked into the room and the dog bit him, that’s one thing. But if the dog showed signs of distress, if things were out of the ordinary, loud noises, etc (basically signals or outside factors contributing to the incident), then I think you need to reconsider your point. I would be PISSED if my parents’ dog bit my child. But I wouldnt expect any repercussions on the animal UNLESS it was completely evident it was a straight attack. And I HATE my stepdad’s dog with a passion :sweat_smile: I think it’s fair to keep your child away from the animal, but you should also talk with and help your child not be terrified. Otherwise it could be a lifelong fear. Dogs are family too. Dont put your family in a situation where they have to choose when you can simply keep your child and the dog away from each other

7 Likes

If you knew tbe dog was aggressive before why would you put your small child that doesn’t know any better in that potential situation

9 Likes

Set boundaries. I would only go if said dog was crated during the entirety of our visit, if they won’t do that then visits can only take place at your home.

My mom had a beloved mini poodle, when she passed I “inherited” him. Well he was 10 yrs old and when I had a child was absolutely miserable. He just wasn’t used to children, and we tried everything to be safe and socialize them to each other. 1 biting incident and I immediately rehomed him to a dog lover in a CHILDFREE home. Not all dogs can get used to children, especially once they’re older. It’s stressful to them.

You can’t make them get rid of the dog, that’s like saying if your kid bit them they want you to get rid of your kid… the dog is family to them…on another note in our city if a dog bites a human or other animal our vet clinic holds them 10 days for observation…99% of the time it’s bc a kid had the dog toy flying around, and the dog was playing too rough trying to get toy from child and ended up biting child instead of toy… when reintroducing child/dog don’t do it on the dogs property where it’s his ground to protect. Do it at park (with dog on leash) let dog sniff before child pets it, etc… if you prefer not to reintroduce dog with child for awhile, maybe the dog can be kept in a bedroom or outside during your visit?

3 Likes

ur kid could habe done something to prove the dog…no one know what really happened cause u didn say…just cause u teach ur kids to respect animals doesm mean they do…only advice i have to see if theyll keep dog in another room/outside when u go to visit…if they dont do that then stop visiting

3 Likes

You are not wrong for feeling how you do or for taking the necessary steps to protect your child. I would not subject my child to unnecessary emotional trauma by forcing a reintroduction. You feel bad about the possibility of cutting ties until something were done, however you have to remind yourself that if their dog were to attack your son again you would feel much, much worse.

1 Like

You do what you feel is necessary for the safety and well-being of your child. You might feel bad because they’re the only grandparents but they are making their stance clear on what they care more about.

3 Likes

If they can or will not put it in a cage then I would not go back till they do. I had to take matters like that with family.

2 Likes

If u go over 2-3 times a week…I would think u know this dog well enough not to leave it around yr child. How bout give him his own secluded play area while u are there so he is not around yr child. Come to a compromise…after all u are responsible for yr child and knowing u were putting child in such a situation is yr fault…and they should not have to put their dog down for yr negligence.

3 Likes

Stop going over tell your mom if she wants to see her grandchild she can make that drive to your place

1 Like

I would see if they can put the dog in another room or I just wouldnt go that’s just me

1 Like

My cousin was the same way after her great paranesse bit my toddler. Didn’t do a damn thing! Still let’s this dog wander w all the kids(hers and others) it will happen again. She will end up getting sued. I quit going there all together. It was that or I shoot her dog and leave it there. She didn’t want me hurting her poor dog that almost took my kids eye. Dogs are replaceable. People are not. Tell them put it down or u wont be back. They want to see u and the kids well they can come over to your place.

1 Like

Call animal control but as a mom you should not allow your child around the dog while it’s not contained

3 Likes

Just put the dog somewhere else while you’re visiting. Not too complicated…

4 Likes

If this wasn’t the first time being aggressive why would you allow the dog around your child? That dog should have been in another room while that child is there. Don’t bring the child back there until a plan is in place. Dog is gone or in another room during the visit. Dogs also have to be provoked to snap. Loud sounds, fast movements, etc… a lot of dogs are scared of small children. Your the parent set the ground rules and don’t bring your child near that dog again.

3 Likes

Who was supervising the child when he was with the dog?

2 Likes

If they dont do anything about the dog then id ask them to put the dog up in a closed room wile ur there

My children’s great grandparents dog bit my son right above the eye when he was 2 years old once, and we haven’t been back over since. And before anyone says all of that “he provoked him” bs, my son was SLEEPING when that dog bit him. He’s 4 years old now and still terrified of all dogs. Stop going over there!! Next time, he might bite your son worse. It’s not worth the risk.

4 Likes

At the very least the dog should be put away (in a room or crate) while your son is there. If they can’t do that then I wouldn’t go over. safety of your son comes first.

4 Likes

How old is the child? If the child is old enough to understand to stay away from the dog then I’d say the dog needs to be held accountable.
If the child is too young to obey that or understand why, it is every adults job to keep the dog and child separated. If this cannot be done, I would be done with the dog.

Why can’t they just put the dog up when he comes over? We always put ours up when company comes.

3 Likes

Dont wait until your son is mauled to death. If they wont put the dog up when he is around I would refuse to bring him over.

She needs to put dog away my 10 year old had same crap my sister’s He got 4 stitches in his lip and cheek glued so instead my sister would keep the dog away from the kids put her in another room and yes it can happen quick my son was just walking by her I was even right there in arms length even when you take precautions things can happen

You don’t have to cut off all ties, but I would definitely not bring your child over there. Tell them if they want to see you guys it will be somewhere else from now on.

2 Likes

Wow that’s crazy. My cousin was bit by a dog when she was young and the dog was put down. My husband’s grandma’s dog is also aggressive and almost bit my kid (she was just running around) and we told them we would not be coming over anymore unless the dog was put up while we were there. The dog is not used to kids and that’s totally understandable but I’m not risking it.

There’s way touch info missing here. Especially since you say you go over 2-3 times a week. The dog should have adapted by now to your kiddo. Something had to have triggered the bite instinct. Your kids may have respect for animals that doesn’t mean something still didn’t occur to set the dog off.

6 Likes

Yes something needs to be done with the dog! Especially if the kids didn’t do anything,It’s hard when it’s family because it seems like they care more about their dogs than your kid!

4 Likes

If it isn’t the first time it was aggressive than why is he around the dog!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t take my child back over there. If they want to see him, they can come to you. It would be a different situation if you only visited a couple times per month. But if they know you’re visiting 2-3 times per week, you would think they would want to keep their grandchild safe by rehoming or even kenneling the dog while y’all are there. Just my opinion. Here in Arkansas, they would have taken him to doggy jail and determined if he was provoked or just aggressive, then taken action depending on the evaluation.

Ok so this will prob be unpopular. I’m not a pet person, grew up in a pet less household. My family, who is from Central America (third world countries) if their dog did something “bad” they would hit it with a flip flop, according to them this worked and was a “disciplinary “ method.
That to me is better than putting a dog to sleep but again I’m not a pet person (I do respect all living things though) so hopefully better advice for you on this thread

Whats the rest of the information? How did the bites occur? How did previous bites occur? Who was watching child/dog interaction?
If you knew the dog was aggressive and still went over there, you should have asked the dog be removed from the same room as the child. Get counseling for your child so they can try and over come that fear.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t take my child where it isnt safe. Dog needs to be kenneled when you’re there or dont go. Your poor kiddo!!!

1 Like

I experienced this with my son. He got bitten by my husbands sister in-laws dog. I was livid, till this day no apology was given and that dog is still aggressive. They now have a kid if their own & god forbid something happens. I don’t want to say much since my husband didn’t.

If it would were my dog I would not get rid of him but I would seperate when company is over… A crate or a bedroom depending on the dog responds to those… I would not expect you to reintroduce your son to him.

6 Likes

I would not let that dog around your son any more. If they want to keep the dog then so be it. If it isn’t current on rabies vaccination then it should be quarantined for 10 days. Sorry. I go through this with my Mil she has a chow mix that snaps at my son and if he ever bites my son he will not be going over to their house again.

Your son comes first don’t take a chance on his life because they value a aninal more than your child.

2 Likes

My parents dogs are kept in a different room not because they bite they just get really excited to see kids and jump the dogs are 60 lbs and my two year old well he’s two. You can try talking to them but if they don’t want to take precautions than have them come to you if they want to see grandson

1 Like

I just wouldn’t take my kid over there. I have friends with sketchy dogs, I don’t take my kid over there.

1 Like

I absolutely wouldn’t cut ties over that, but I would def insist that the dog in question be put up in a separate room or outside when my son is there from now on.

2 Likes

Some animals just don’t like children.

1 Like

Children should always be supervised with dogs especially dogs that are not yours. Who was supervising the child? What happened leading up to the event of the dog biting? Has the dog had training? The dog needs to be put in a separate area if your visiting 2-3 times a week away from your children or you may choose not to take your child there.

1 Like

I would go unless dog can be put outside, another room, on a leash, something but I’m terrified of dogs around my kids