My moms dog bit my son: Am I wrong for thinking they should do something about it?

The dog should be put up when small children come over…I put all 3 of my dogs up when kids visit.

Have his family visit at your house without the dog.

2 Likes

If they’re not willing to put the dog away while Your Son is there then They don’t deserve to see Him… His safety is priority!!

2 Likes

It is your responsibility to keep your child safe. If the dog has bit your son, you either discontinue visiting, or something is done about the dog. Wether it be bringing to for training or having it put down.

Not at all. I’d have a fit if anyone’s dog but my child in the face especially a family dog. If they didn’t train the dog to be friendly to children then they need to be crates while the child is there or the child just shouldn’t go. At this point it’s about safety

Momma to momma and both my kids have been bitten u have every right to stay away until they do something that’s basically telling h that they love the dog more then ur child that’s sad… and especially with it not being the first time they should know by now the dog has some issues with kids

Children like to touch and mess with animals and a lot of animals just don’t like little children. I would just ask your parents to put the dog where it won’t be aggravated by the child until he is old enough to understand how to treat animals.

1 Like

Have them kennel when he goes over. What was child doing why was his face so close to dogs. Most times dogs bite for reason and kids dot respect them.

1 Like

They could put the dog elsewhere when you come over. My inlaw’s dog doesn’t like kids, so he is put in the garage while we’re outside. He’s an outside dog though.

Missing info. Did ur child entice the dog? If u go over that much he is use to him by now. So were they playing. I have been bitten 3 times and actually at fault of my own and would never ask someone to put their pet down bc of my mistake. However if the dog is known to be aggressive. That’s different. Ur missing a lot of info. Why did the dog bite? It just doesn’t seem feasible the dog bit for no reason if y’all are over that much. Where were the adults when this happened? Was it witnessed by anyone? Just a lot of questions.

1 Like

Thats a no… dog has crossed line, injured helpless child. Whatever the reason, line was crossed. There are normally laws surrounding this that takes responsibility off victim shoulder.
It would be dangerous to put the boy around the dog. Why create anxiety for little one by trying to go back there if its just in another room. If dog gets out could be aggressive to child again and maybe do more damage than hs already been done.
I dont know your child or the dog. But permanet separation needs to happen. You have a responsibility to report it. What if this happens to another child and no ones there to stop it… agression is aggression. Safety is safety. I dont gamble with childrens lives. Grandma and grandpa would think they would be worried for grandkids safety. A few face stitches should indicate theres an issue. If thats not a priority, which you have verified because they want your boy back and reintroduce, you need to take your own measures to keep him safe. If thats their goal I would only visit and not leave the boy in the care.for now intil you are certain they are concerned for his safety and well being. Tough alm the way around. I enjoy animals too but, lines are crossed.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you. My first born will be here soon and I have a dog that is overly protective and hates new people and animals. He’s bit my bfs brother (despite his brother being around him) His grandma has a dog that was the sweetest, but is now attacking her other dog and killed half of her chickens. You’re not wrong for feeling the way you feel. You can ask them to lock the dog up when you’re there to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Dogs are family, so getting rid of them is hard to do for some people. If they disagree, you can have them go to your house instead. You never want to let something like that happen again, because you never know if the dog will go for blood next time.

1 Like

Put that dog down it’ll happen again. Once dogs get the taste of blood they like it. Either put it down or keep it tied up

4 Likes

You should not take your child back around the animal. If they want to see you or your son, they can come visit - without the dog.

How old is the dog? Does the dog interact with other children? Did your 4 yr old grab at the dog? Is this only pet your parents have then the dog is spoiled. Does it mind if you take away food by hand? Does the dog like children in its face? Many questions little answers. I know your 4 yr old will be afraid but stay in your parents life just be aware of what your 4yr old is doing. Let him hang on to you when you visit again

I had a big rotty growing up, he yawned and my dickhead self put my face in his mouth and he closed on my face but I was fine. I gave my other rotty a hug about 10 years ago and she took a chunk out of my cheek. My chihuahua doesn’t like getting terrorised by my kids (dog is 12) and when he’s had enough, he’ll snarl and chomp down. Thats my kids fault though for not listening to both me and the dog. However the dog can’t do much damage, he’s only got 1 tooth so they just get a jump and i say “well, I told you” and I tell anyone who comes to my home not to torment my dog. None of these dogs were vicious… I was just a dickhead when I was young and my dog knows what he likes and what he doesn’t x

1 Like

Dogs DO NOT need to be held accountable!
Hold the humans accountable. :woman_facepalming:
This is simple. Don’t go over there unless the dog is put away.

11 Likes

Dog muzzled at all times around any child… if your son doesnt want to see the dog again,dog should be crated/in another room when he is around. And the dog needs to be re-trained professionally… it’s not the dogs fault AT all it’s an animal. It’s ALWAYS the owner. They need training too!!!

4 Likes

Tell them to at least put the dog in a separate room or you can’t have your family over unless they do so

1 Like

They should put the dog in dog crate or put him up in different room! Some pets don’t like children don’t mean get rid of the dog … It’s there pet !!!

4 Likes

My Grandparents had a Rottweiler that was trained to ‘mimic’ aggression on cue - my grandad was a stuntman and the dog worked with him. She never showed any aggression towards anyone without being commanded to! One day she very gently put her mouth around my hand (I was a baby!) luckily she didn’t bite but the intention was obviously there. The next day the dog was gone, no questions asked! Grandchild came first!!!

3 Likes

How old is the dog? What was happening when the baby was bit? There’s a lot missing that is needed to provide an educated and understanding answer. You can’t just put a dog down bc he bit someone… I have an 11 week old puppy who still play bites, he’s a baby and he gets very excited. He’s not intentionally hurting anybody, and I wouldn’t put him down just because of that. Dogs deserve boundaries and personal space also. If the dog thought they were playing or even if the baby thought they were playing, it could have not been meant in an aggressive manor. I’ve been attacked by a dog so I know the difference between a play bite and a vicious bite. Please have patience with animals if you’re going to have your children around them.

It’s their dog and their family member too.

1 Like

Considering the child does not live with the child, its probably uncomfortable around him. I would just request the dog be put in a crate or room with the door shut while yall are there. Dogs are animals, and are gonna act as such. I honestly never blam animals for acting in their nature.

1 Like

Sorry all you dog lovers out there but I would either have the dog relocated or put down. The bite was significant enough to have stitches. Not just a little nip on the hand. If this were to happen to anyone else outside of the family action would be taken. I wouldn’t come over with my child until the situation was taken care of.

11 Likes

My daughter was bit in the face at 17m old. She needed stitches on her head and she had a hole in her eye lid.
We didn’t ask for them to put their dog down, rather put the dog up when we are around. Maybe ask your parents to put the dog in a kennel or in another bedroom if your gonna be there.

Don’t take your child there. If they want to see their grandchild they will come where it’s safe. No dog.

6 Likes

I would never keep an animal that bites - and would never subject my child to an animal that had a history of biting. It is a tough spot to be in, but they need to make arrangements for the child’s safety if they want to see him. They could give the dog away to someone without kids, kennel it when you visit, or only visit away from their home.

2 Likes

Nope! I wouldn’t give that dog another chance to attack my child. If they won’t get rid of it, FaceTime them. Or Skype. But no way in hell would I place my baby in that position ever again. And your parents are selfish for knowing they have an aggressive animal, who bit their grandchild and chose the dog over family. Shame on them. Keep your baby safe mama!

2 Likes

You can’t hold the animal accountable for lack of proper training that led to a bite. They should keep the dog away from your child for sure, but they shouldn’t have to get rid of it entirely. All dogs give warning signs (even slight ones that can be overlooked) before biting so the fact that all warnings were ignored (no matter how small) is not the dog’s fault. Get them to muzzle train or keep the dog in another room. Not the dog’s fault it wasn’t properly socialized in these situations

3 Likes

When you go over the dog should be in a crate! Period! You don’t want them to kill the dog do you? You really don’t know what happened, it could of been a freak accident! Just keep your son away!

2 Likes

You are not wrong. The child should come before the dog 100 percent

2 Likes

They didn’t ask at the hospital how it happened? If so I believe something else’s would have been done. They obviously need to do something with their dog when you visit and if they can’t control the dog or won’t then do not go over there anymore.

3 Likes

Just tell them when you visit the dog is shut outside at all times! It’s not hard, my best friend shuts her dog outside when other people’s kids visit x

1 Like

Just have them put the dog outside when you go over. My son got bit by my boyfriends family dog and I did NOT blame them. My son ran up behind him and he turned and bit his face. My son had to have stitches. We did not allow my son around the dog for a few years until he learned to be a little safer. Yes, this dog had bit other people before, but only when he felt threatened. I never expected my bf parents to get rid of the dog or put him down. The county made the dog be in quarantine for like 7 days after he bit my son but that was it. Like I said, my son did not go around this dog for a few years after that. The dog was always put away when we went over. I think that’s what you should tell them to do. Maybe eventually your son will want to see the dog again. But that is not a good enough reason to cut off your family.

I am definitely not the best person to ask. When my dog bit my oldest daughter on the face as a toddler, the dog got hit in the head with a bat. It’s a dog, not a human. Significant negative consequences have to happen immediately to eliminate the behavior.

It never happened again.

13 Likes

I would see if maybe while you and the kids are there if they would block the dog into a different part of the house

1 Like

Your poor baby.Im sorry that happened. But you cant expect them to give up there dog.The dog is a family member.Mabye the dog could be kept in a certain area when you visit,or you can just visit outside of there house.

2 Likes

I would stop coming over. I would never expect a person to get rid of or put down a pet but I would keep my child safe. They can go to your home or the park or any other house.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter how good the dog is, if you aren’t watching the body language, even if the child was just petting the dog, if the dog had enough, he will bite. Usually just a warning nip, but sometimes it comes out as an aggressive bite. I watch my kids around my dogs all the time. Not because my dogs are aggressive, but because a dog is still an animal, and you can see warning signs when they want to be left alone. Kids can’t pick up on that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Take it further this is your child ffs

2 Likes

I got bit twice in the face. My fault I was nagging the dog messing with her bone. That’s there child to. How bout they put your child down? Your in there house? Hes protecting them not u. Leave the dog along. If you where my kid and u wanted me to kill my dog child then I probably cut ties with u

5 Likes

If they want to see their grandchild have them come to you. I would avoid re-introducing at this point.

3 Likes

Straight and simple if the dog has issues don’t have your kid around it. Lets not forget people dogs are dogs they don’t have a voice so they act. What was he doing to the dog or the dog just doesn’t want to be messed with if it was an unprovoked attack then don’t have your son around the dog period. But the dog is an animal none the less and no dog should ever be around a child unsupervised.

2 Likes

I have a pit and he didnt like kids and when my great grand kids and their mom moved in with me i had to control him around them he learned the kids come first then him so make her but the dog up or out around the kids tell it learns i did and the dogs love the kids now but it did take time. I love my dogs but my kids come frist

1 Like

We stopped visiting my mom. She can take them to dinner, a park, whatever, but my kids cannot be near the dog that bit him.
In fact, at 6 & 7 they’re away, overnight for the first time, for an ENTIRE WEEK! They’re staying at a cabin with her. As long as the dog is separate there is no issue but my children do not visit her house.

He needs to be rehomed, I wouldn’t say put down tho.

Me personally don’t hate me for this but I would have it put down. I am all for dogs but not when my kids are involved. It’s on best behaviour or it finds a new home period. Here where I am they wouldn’t have a choice. Acc would make them or have it muzzled the rest of its life.

2 Likes

Call the cops. Call animal control. Press charges on that dog. Point ducking blank. If you can’t do it, drop the entire situation and forget about it. Either do what you need to do to keep your kid safe, or shut your mouth.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily put the dog down if that’s what your insinuating… It needs to be properly trained. Stop bringing your child to their house, or they need to put the dog in a crate/room when/if you go over there. Hope your son is okay!

2 Likes

I dont think he has to be put down but he needs to be rehome to place with out kids. Your little boy has been traumatized by the dog so expecting him to be around him is unfair and will scare him. In my opinion.

1 Like

You can’t someone to put down a part of there family. People have emotion attachments to animals. Just don’t let your son eat the dog, simple as that. Ask politely the dog be put in a room or something when you visit

1 Like

How about just don’t go to there house

1 Like

I would push for dog to be put down or gotten rid of BUT shame on them for wanting to force your child to reintegrate with that animal. It is NOT difficult to put a dog away for human family a couple hours. I had a dog that got sooooo nervous with kids wild energy. He was always tucked away in his bedroom/safe place when kids other than mine were over. It’s common sense. Avoid attacks. Period. You’re your baby’s advocate and protector. Stand your ground

I have a dog and when company comes over we put him up it is their responsibility make them accountable make an example of them if not they will think it’s ok and that dog will strike again family or not they will be held liable if it were me.

I unfortunately was in the same situation with my oldest daughter and my moms dog. She was two, got bit on the face as well. Also past aggression towards people and it’s fur siblings… she had to be put down. I pretty much insisted on it which I kinda still feel bad about it for some reason even though it was best. I guess cause it was my moms and I have the same type of dog and I couldn’t imagine him doing that and having to be put down… I’m sorry you had to go through this, not easy. Wish you the best

1 Like

Sounds like it’s your own fault bringing your kid around a dog known to be aggressive. All you can really do is not bring your child there unless they agree to keep the dog put away while he’s there but yea no this is all on you as the parent.

5 Likes

Report the dog. Animal control will take care of it for you.

Don’t go back until they get rid of that mother fucker.U don’t choose a dog over your grandchild.period

If this what at my parents house…and there dog bit my daughter or something that dog would be put down. Family or not…my daughters life matters over a dog.

1 Like

Happened to my then 4 year-old son, too, with my in-laws’ dog. Completely unprovoked… My son was sitting on my father in-law’s lap. That’s it. Dog had no history of aggression, per my in-laws.

They still have the dog, so we don’t go over there anymore. Per state laws, I believe we could have pressed charges, or had animal control involved, but we didn’t notify the authorities. Not my choice, trust me… but I told my husband that our children will not be going over there anymore as long as that dog is there.

4 Likes

Invite your parents to come to your house for visits and leave their dog at home. Don’t put that child back into that environment. It doesn’t matter if the child did something to prompt the dog or not. The child has been injured by this dog, is terrified of this dog, and should not be put in a position of having to be around this dog ever again. Weigh the value of your child’s well being over the desire to rehabilitate the animal. I agree that your child will, in time, need to be slowly reintroduced to dogs, but not this dog.

When I was a child I was never afraid of animals. We had neighbors who owed dobies, and those dogs were vicious and scared the hell out of me. Every day I had to walk by their yard. They were fenced in, and couldn’t get to me, but they would lunge at the fence, barking and biting the fence, growling and scaring me to death. I still can’t be around Dobermans, and I’m nearly 60. I have such a dear of them because of what I had to go through as a child. I love all other animals … but as soon as any animal shows any aggression towards me, I’m done and won’t be around that animal again.

1 Like

Oh nah… dog needs a bullet. Or make them lock it away when you visit… or no visit

1 Like

I’d tell them I don’t feel comfortable with the dog being around my child. What if it would of bit his neck. I’d also express that my child is scared. They can keep the dog outside or in another room when you come over. I wouldn’t allow my child to be around that animal again. And if God forbid the dog bit him again you could get in trouble for having your child around a animal that has already harmed your child.

There is stuff missing from proper information.
You said the dog has shown to be aggressive before, so why let your kid be alone with the dog if he was. If not why allow the dog to be near your kid at all? If you voiced your concerns before why keep going over where your kid would be in danger? I understand it’s your mom but if my kid was at risk for getting bit I’d ask to have the dog put in it’s kennel/ other room where it wouldn’t be an issue.
Did you see what was going on when your son was bit? Because yeah we can try to teach our kids to respect animals but sometimes kids are just having bad days where they don’t feel like listening.
I guess in the end if the dog has bit people before your son and you and 100% sure about it you can call and report the bite to your local animal control and they will have to make a record about it and if it happens more the dog will have to be put down.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t bring my kid around that dog ever again.

2 Likes

Honestly, once dogs taste blood… they’re going to attack again. I would personally call animal control and tell them. I would push to have the dog put down especially if your child truly was not provoking the dog. We put down one of our dogs because it attacked another one of our dogs and the vet said once they taste blood like that, they will do it again, especially if they weren’t provoked.

2 Likes

Our family dog bit my sister in the face when she was a toddler. Daddy shot it :grimacing:.

3 Likes

Just my opinion- my kids come first. So if it were me, I would not be going over there any more.

1 Like

Cops told me since my dog is aggressive and bit before that if he does it again I will be charged a felony and jail time so tell her that.Shes the owner

3 Likes

Wow! With family like that you sure as hell don’t need enemies :rage: that poor baby :sob:

4 Likes

If a dog bites once it will do it again you/them shouldn’t have had a child around it to begin with so all adults are at fault. Make it to where they have to come to your house that way they kid/kids still see them but no dog.

3 Likes

I think you should tell them that your son will not be going to their house or around them when the dog is present. Do not cave. Your little guy has been traumatized and he doesn’t need to deal with that fear again. Stand your ground.

2 Likes

If it was me I would tell them to keep the dog locked away in another room, crate, or outside when my child was there from now on and if they wouldn’t agree to it then I just wouldn’t allow my child to go back to their house until they did. That’s not asking to much from them. Honestly that’s what a responsible pet owner would do with most any larger dog around small children before they even get bit to prevent it from happening at all.

24 Likes

My question is why did he bite him? That wasn’t really mentioned. Did the dog just walk by and decided “imma bite him”? Or was the kid being rambunctious and the dog react negatively to it? The reason factors into my response on puttin him down or not. I would tell the grandparents he doesnt want to be around the dog, and ask that they either visit you or maybe put the dog away when you visit. I wouldn’t have had my kid there in the first place tho if the dog did have a history. You cant just demand they kill their dog tho. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Honestly your parents need a dog behaviorist to intervene at the bare minimum, AFTER the dog has been to the vet to rule out any medical causes. Not a trainer, but an actual behaviorist that can help determine WHY the dog bit and develop safe ways for the family and the dog to interact (or not if that’s not an option). I have someone if they’re interested but I’d insist they did at least that. He’s very effective even virtually and can help address any underlying issues that may be the reason for the bites.

1 Like

As a mother your child is your first responsibility… I wouldnt say you have to cut ties… But just make it clear if they want you to come over the dog is to be “put up” and kept up while you are there… Or else they can just come to your house to see your family… If they cant handle those grounds then cut in person contact… If thats not good enough then cut all ties…

2 Likes

I had this issue with a dog. My son got attacked twice and had to have plastic surgery. My child did nothing to the dog either time. Their excuse was the dog got skittish around sunset. Apparently he was the best dog in the world. Complete bs. They couldn’t control their dog. He was not a good dog. I was happy to hear when the dog finally passed away🤷‍♀️. I never trust a dog around kids even if i know the dog well. Tbh they never really cared or else my child would’ve been more important than the dog.

2 Likes

It’s their responsibility of the dog. I wouldn’t take my child around until something happens to the dog.

3 Likes

If they think more of the dog then the kid something is wrong.

1 Like

Cut ties before your child is killed or permanently maimed.

I, like you think the dog owner are responsible to make sure the animal is confined when your children are present. Maybe it would be better if they visited you without the dog.

1 Like

Have the grandparents come to your house for visits. They keep their dog. Your son isn’t being further traumatized. Explain that you don’t want hurt feelings, but you have to keep your son safe. Typically, if the er/doctor is involved with a dog bite, so is law enforcement and/or CPS

6 Likes

Dont go there until they get rid of the dog. Its your responsibility to protect your child.

3 Likes

My dog bit my three year old in the face 4 years ago. I loved that dog more than anything (minus my three year old obviously) and I put him down ASAP… any dog that’s aggressive to kids in anyway has no place in our society. Dog aggressive, animal aggressive sure, whatever. But not a child.

2 Likes

My parents put the dog into the back room with toys and water and a bed during our visit. She only charged at my daughter but never again will we chance it. I think asking to put the dog into a room for a while isnt too much

7 Likes

Id ask if they would put the dog up in a room when you visit. If they refuse then tell them to come to your house instead. Or just tell them you can’t visit with them if the dog is kept away from y’all.

5 Likes

Apparently thr dog doesnt like your son.bring a gate and gate the dog off to a different room.My weiner dog bit my grand daughter but was told numerous time to leave her alone.Not my dogs fault ,shr doesnt like kids

If my parents dog bit my child it would be put down, and it’s repeatedly aggressive? If they can’t control their dog they don’t need to own one.

4 Likes

:pleading_face: that’s scary for your child I’m sure. I’d be really scared to have him around the dog. Please don’t let them have the dog around again… it could happen again! :weary::pleading_face::cry:

1 Like

By “hold the animal accountable” you mean euthanize correct?

Like even risk it? Dog or no dog … don’t push it…don’t matter. Having it around my kid would have me on edge all the time.

1 Like

I get them not wanting to put dog down but they need to keep that dog away from people. I would never have my child around that dog again I have a dog like that and I keep him away from everyone especially the kids. He’s only around me and my bf. They should’ve called animal control when you too your kid in. They have to here they quarantine the dog for 10 days and make sure they’re up to date on all shots and stuff.

We’ve always had dogs, when my Grankids came along we had 3 terriers & my partner got a lurcher puppy. The lurcher wasn’t keen on children, she snapped a cple of times at our Grankids so anytime they are at our house, she goes into her cage. She’s 10yrs old now & as soon as any of them come in the door she goes into the kitchen, as she wants to be in the cage. I think if she bite 1 of them to the point they needed stitches, she would of been rehomed xxx

1 Like

I would tell your parents to take care of the dog or you will call and report it.

1 Like

ANY dog can bite! Some dogs don’t like small children because they’re loud or they pull on them, not saying her kid did. However unless it’s a truly vicious dog, it’s insecurity on the dogs part. Dogs who have been raised in loving homes bite more out of fear than anything else. I say this as a lifelong dog owner, a person who has worked with all breeds of dogs, and as a mother whose child has been bitten before! Dogs are rarely truly vicious! However, as a mother, I would put my foot down about the dog being put away before my child would be allowed back in the house!

4 Likes

Most kids that age always fuck with dogs. I had to tell my son the other day not to touch the dog when he’s eating and he did and the dog barked at him.

I have a friend going thru the same thing. Her 5 year old got bitten by her inlaws dog. Had to have emergency plastic surgery. The shelter determined the dog was aggressive and needed to be put down. Her inlaws are fighting it in court to keep the dog. She cut ties. Do what you have to to protect your child. Fuck their feelings.

Dog breaks skin ; dog gets put down. End of story ! Even my own dogs they hurt the kids they get put down. I’d cut ties. Your son could of died… the dog will bite again

63 Likes

I would ask them to put dog away when you visit.

13 Likes