My mother in law doesn't listen when it comes to my daughter: Advice?

My daughter is just over two months old, and this is my mother in laws very first grandchild. She doesn’t listen to anything I tell her when it comes to my daughter. She constantly buys and buys for her then brags about all this stuff she has bought for her straight to my face. She’s also a helicopter too. As soon as I walk in the door, she’s hovering over my shoulder or sticking her face right in her car seat. Or she will just take her right out of someone’s arms. How do I get the madness to stop?!

52 Likes

You don’t. She’s grandma. Be thankful for her.

14 Likes

Sit down and have a talk about boundaries

3 Likes

Really its her first grandbaby get over it :woman_shrugging: my duaghter is the only grandbaby and is spoiled. If she wasnt buying your baby anything you would be mad.

19 Likes

Sounds like you’re lucky to have someone who loves her so much and who buys your sweet baby a bunch of goodies. I’m sure a lot of people wish they had that

14 Likes

hmmmm, that could be hard.

1 Like

U dont. It’s her 1st grandchild
Get used to the love
.cause that’s really what yr complaining about😒

4 Likes

Maybe she’s just really excited to have a grandchild? Grandparents are supposed to spoil their grand babies rotten… it’s part of the cycle of life :smiley:
I would be happy that you have a mother in law that is so excited and caring for your child… appreciate the fact she’s buying her things and wants to be involved. The opposite is much worse.

9 Likes

Lol. Appreciate it. She’s happy, supportive and loves your kid.

3 Likes

It’s her first grandchild. It’s going to be annoying at first but you will be greatful in the future

2 Likes

Let her love her grandchild :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Instead of complaining be grateful you have someone who loves your child that much! Not many have that privilege! Maybe speak w/her if it bothers u that much, but when it stops please don’t complain about that as well!

6 Likes

What madness you sound immature and selfish get over yourself and count your blessings that your daughter has a good grandma

8 Likes

She’s not ever gonna listen…sorry. My daughter is 8 and my ex mother n law always did what she wanted. I can harp and harp and still nothing. Just have to learn to deal unfortunately

3 Likes

Sounds like she has an awesome g mom who is good enough to buy the baby things and gives you a break when you come in! Be thankful and not so ungrateful!

4 Likes

You don’t. Let her love, spoil and enjoy. Be thankful. She loves her! Share mom, it’s only short visits here and there. :blush:

4 Likes

You don’t have to let her cross boundaries to be grateful :roll_eyes: You are the mom, remember that. The things she buys can stay at her house, if someone else is holding her tell grandma to wait her turn. Set the boundaries now or she will only get worse

11 Likes

She seems like a very proud grandma

4 Likes

She is probably excited. My mom is always telling me about the stuff she buys for my kids or my nephew and it’s because she’s happy to be getting them stuff she’s not bragging so maybe she isn’t either and it’s just coming across that way. Honestly I wouldn’t do anything about it. She just loves her and wants to spoil her and love on her. I don’t see a problem with that, but if you want her to stop you’re gonna have to talk to her about it. I always say something isn’t going to change if they don’t know what they are doing is upsetting you.

9 Likes

Go there less often

5 Likes

Use your voice, dont let her continue what she is doing if you dont like it.

Tell her now or it’ll happen forever.

7 Likes

You can try and have a conversation with her but…pick your battles momma.

3 Likes

Your granddaughter is lucky to have such an attentive grandma. She’s in love, let it be!

14 Likes

Boundaries and consequences. Set them and explain in detail. Same with consequences. She will not be allowed over for (specific time) or whatever you decide. Stick to your guns and have her see that you and her son are on the same page.

3 Likes

So you are complaining about her buying her things? I don’t see a problem with that at all. As for her being right up in the car seat, ok I see no problem with that either. Now taking the baby out of people’s arms is rude.

3 Likes

Tell her to shape up or ship out . She’s old enough to understand what she’s doing wrong

1 Like

Tell her to stop. I hate that crap

2 Likes

you let her love and spoil your little one but also talk to her about boundaries… both of you need to come to a happy medium…

2 Likes

I swear these inlaw posts are triggering.

2 Likes

Stop telling this woman it’s ok for the lady to be overbearing just bc it’s her first grandchild!! Wtf is wrong with you people. She can be excited & love the child and STILL RESPECT BOUNDARIES. There’s no reason for her to be in a 2 month olds face & definitely no reason for her to be taking her out of other people’s arms. She isn’t her child. This lady is NOT being ungrateful she is FED UP with the grandmother being TOO MUCH. Set your boundaries girl. Tell her to back off a little before you put distance where she doesn’t want it! Put your foot down before it gets worse.

29 Likes

Chillax. It’s hard learning how to be a new mom and wanting everything to be exactly the way you want it to be, but let her be happy and love and spoil her grandchild!!! She’s not hurting anyone!

3 Likes

I would tell her back off or you will stop bringing her grandchild around. My MIL spoils my kids & grandkids . But she learned along time ago to not over step boundaries. Cause I will stop visitations right away.

2 Likes

Hold on everyone. My mother in law had her first granddaughter - my girl who is now 3, my partner is 17 years older and I’m 32. she has not had a thing not and Xmas or birthday present. But she still judges me. I shouldn’t use Tommee tippee bottle maker, should do this and that. She’s not had a kid for 49 years so don’t judge me. I work a cook I clean and lice for my daughter. She comes to my house on Xmas day with no a present for any of us. Not a bottle of wine after I have made Xmas dinner etc. But will judge me
You do what u think is right everyones situation is different xxx

1 Like

Be happy she’s that proud of your child and wants to be involved. That’s all I’m going to say.

7 Likes

Be blunt :tipping_hand_woman: there’s no other way around it! It’ll continue and get worse! I think it’s better to be honest end up front about boundaries you expect with her bc they’ll come a time when you want her help and if you go about it in a rude way you’ll ruin the relationship! So just make boundaries and stick to them!!

1 Like

Are you serious? Lol she is excited that it’s her first grandbaby. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Get over it, you probably don’t live with her or under her rules. Relax

1 Like

She’s super excited, none of the things you mentioned are bad at all, let her buy things,let her spoil the baby, let her put her face up to her grandchild’s face (unless sick), let her enjoy being a grandma <3 Don’t take things so hard, when she brags about what she bought say “thank you” kids need as much family around them as possible, children need to know that they’re loved by others who aren’t just mom and dad. I’m a nana, my grandson is 2…he’s the light of my life and I spoil him as much as I can. Let her do the same, she’s grandma <3 <3

13 Likes

Let her buy her stuff. Shes her grandma I mean in the long run its less you gotta buy and she LOVES her people loving your kid is never a bad thing.

3 Likes

Tell her to stop or your not gonna bring her around anymore. I’m sick of parents thinking it’s thier grandchild so they are allowed… Like nah. It’s my child not yours you had your chance. Back the fuck up or your out.

Just an over eager, loving grandma. Maybe her love language is gifts! Of course she wants all the cuddles. You are welcome to say that you’re running out of storage, or just wait till the next development stage to buy new items. Ask her to help in other useful ways (Grandma could you help by making us dinner tomorrow? Grandma can you watch baby for an hour while I have a bath?)

3 Likes

Ur child ur rules. Make sure she understands that or limit contact till she gets the message. When she over buys - donate!

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like madness, sounds like she’s just crazy about her grandbaby. Be grateful.

6 Likes

I wish my mother in law would care enough about my 3 sons. She hasn’t seen them since May. i am currently 27 weeks pregnant too. She didn’t even acknowledge my son turned 2 a little under 3 weeks ago. She does everything for my sister in law kids. Who are her daughters kids. She goes to PA every weekend to see them. They only moved there in July. This is also the second birthday of my 2 year olds she forgot.
So unless she’s over feeding him, or putting her in harms way, Id say bite your tongue. She’s just a proud grandma.

1 Like

No. No. No. All of these people saying, ‘It’s her grand baby, let her.’ ABSOLUTELY NOT! She is the grandmother, NOT the mother. The grandmother needs to respect any and all boundaries set up by the parents or they won’t be as close to their grandchildren’s life like they want to be. Yes, grandparents are there to spoil. However, that does not mean that get to completely disregard the parents feelings. That is absurd. You tel her that she had a chance to raise her children like she wanted to, now it’s your turn. That she is to respect your wishes about your wants for your baby or she will find herself not being around the baby as much. I am appalled at the people saying she the grandma and she can do whatever. That is not how that works. You’re the parent, you get the final say. If she continues to buy things, you either leave them at her house or donate/sell them. If someone tried to physically snatch my child out of my hands, that would be the last time they ever touched my child.

14 Likes

Be happy she is excited for her first grandchild!

1 Like

My nana does all of this? Half of the shit he has is from her. Chill tf out lol. She’s excited. And you’re being a bitch about it lol

It’s different when you say no on something and she’s purposely going against it.

Tell her to stop! Put your foot down. The baby may be her grandchild but that’s it…GRANDCHILD! That is YOUR baby, not hers.

3 Likes

Your complaining shes buying things? Shes a new grandma. Be thankful you have a grandmother wanting to give so much love. If it were the opposite youd be complaining about that probably. I swear people have issues if you farted wrong and not up to your expectations smh.

11 Likes

Sounds like she’s just a proud as grandma or Nanna .

3 Likes

Baby is 2 months old, get receipts for store credit. Everything’s exciting she’s over the moon. Breathe and relax, some of us never get that love for our kids. Be happy she’s not rejecting the baby. Start working on setting boundaries slowly okay

8 Likes

Ask her if she has a moment to have coffee with you and your spouse. Please tell her delicately.

As a former Daughter n law, I would be oh no she didn’t! But as a mother n law, she is a loving grandmother proud to be a first time grandmother. She loves to dote on her granddaughter!

I lost my mom over 5 years ago, right after my first treatment of chemotherapy, and my mom’s funeral was during my birthday. Please be grateful, but delicately handle it with her.

Like someone else posted about love language. Love language has 4 different types: gifts, actions, ? ?

3 Likes

It stops approximately 18 years from now.:innocent:

2 Likes

Its the 1st BABY! ENJOY IT. LOOK HOW MUCH THE BABY IS LOVED!

Tell her straight up to back off a little bit. And tell her that yes, you can buy her whatever, but dont shove it in your face when she does! Tell her it bothers you

1 Like

Take the stuff back to the stores, if you can, a.d put it in z college fund. Get your husband to help with diversion when it vomes to helicoptering.

Geez, you’d hate me :joy:
I go racing out to the car every time yelling “My GIRLS “!! rip the car door open and grab my babies, then smother the fk out of them until they leave.
:grinning:

6 Likes

Open your mouth and talk to her like an adult. Have a civil adult convo and address concerns and expectations

Sounds like she’s just overly excited… leave her be

7 Likes

I cant help with the helicopter thing bc honestly i get how frustrating it is but she is also excited however all i have to say about the buying thing is buy what YOU want for YOUR child. If she buys the baby big things she can always keep it at her house but theres some things/experiences you just cant get back so go out and buy for your baby!

You should VERY VERY firmly tell her to come adopt me & my children.

16 Likes

Be thankful he’s willing to go above and beyond. But remember how you felt and don’t buy a lot of items for your grandchildren.

However ask her to not hover and take turns holding the baby

1 Like

To have a MIL that will love her grandchild and buy gifts is super nice. My MIL didn’t give gifts or even visited my kids. Count you blessings and don’t feel so untitled. Many woman have children and are glad their MIL loves her kids

4 Likes

Tell her politely the first time that you’re not comfortable with her behavior regarding your daughter. Plain and simple. Just talk to her.

1 Like

Wait, what exactly is she doing wrong?

7 Likes

Tbh from what you just explained doesn’t sound bad at all? What exactly is so bad with a proud grandmother doing that?

8 Likes

Oh lord this is awful a grandmother is being a good grandmother. Relax she will be useful to you soon enough.

4 Likes

What madness sounds like a happy grandma

4 Likes

I wish my own mother was like this with my kids. She’s grandma. Let her be grandma and enjoy it

2 Likes

Be happy you have a Mother in law! I don’t have a mother or a mother in law they are both deceased.

3 Likes

I don’t see the problem, she sounds proud of her new Granddaughter. Why wouldn’t. You want her buying stuff for your child?

2 Likes

She’s just a proud granny leave her be lol let her enjoy it and spoil her grandchild, use this time to have a cuppa and relax.

1 Like

Your advice is chill out lol

1 Like

It’s sweet. You could have the opposite. The MIL or GM that will not do anything for you or the baby, but in front of other people, she’s the best grandma!

5 Likes

I wish my mother was still alive to be a wonderful grandmother like this! You have a blessing in disguised, embrace it and don’t be so awful to her

2 Likes

God I’m glad I have daughters. I’m going to be that grandma without the bragging because I just don’t so that. Rather brag about making it or saving on items.
Just remember to pick your battles on the real importance matters.
Believe me I know by experience they won’t be here forever, let her cherish her grandbabies while she can.

She’s just excited. My mom was like that with my baby because he’s the first grand child and my grandma’s first great grandchild. Well most of my family is like that

1 Like

Being guilty :100: of being a helicopter everything from being an aunt to a Nana… some of us are raised different than others and can be overwhelming to others. I have had my soul crushed being yelled at for it and I have also had family approach me in a gentle way and simply put… they just were not as comfortable with the in your face love like I am and they needed their personal space respected, and I did. It really is all in how you handle it. It doesn’t sound like you don’t appreciate her. It sounds to me more like she expects more from you than your comfortable with. Your willingness to ask for advice shows that you just want to be respected. The bragging thing…well some people need to be appreciated more openly and gushed over to know that you are pleased. I have seen it a million times and again it is rarely because they are legitimately trying to be snarky about it…just want to feel important and valued. You will find your balance. Explain that you were just raised different and it sometimes overwhelms you. Hope you figure it out.

5 Likes

Be thankful you have a mother in law like that … my mom barely sees the kids unless it is forced wouldn’t even watch them when I was working so eventually couldn’t pay babysitters cuz didn’t make enough and due to lack of babysitters couldn’t go to work and lost my job… I think you should just bite your tongue on this … It is her first grandchild

3 Likes

Sounds like a very willing free baby sitter in the future lol be nice!

4 Likes

U can’t she’s doing her thing let it go
She’ll stop soon
Just love her and be happy u have her
A lot of young people don’t have what u have

2 Likes

You sound jealous of your mother in law, or you don’t have self confidence. Please, don’t offend her for loving, and doting, and giving to your child. So what she is proud she gave these gifts, let her be herself. If she avoided your child you would be hurt. I hope you sit back, have a glass of wine and rethink this :heart::heart::heart:. You could damage your relationship forever :bangbang::broken_heart:

5 Likes

You sound like the problem… Not her…
“my daughter” three bloody times, last time I checked, you’re married to her son. “our daughter” would probably be better :joy:

11 Likes

She sounds like she’s doing exactly what a good grandma should do.

5 Likes

Wow!!! Be nice and kindly ask her to turn it down . Thank you for all you do but it’s really not needed it’s to much ! But yes ve thankful you have a MIL who is willing to be there just make sure its healthy :heart:

She’s just excited. I don’t see the harm. She loves her grandchild.

1 Like

Sounds like she is in love it will pass … as long as she isn’t telling you how to raise your child all should be well it comes in handy when they are older and you need help with the kids so don’t push her away

Love her for loving your beautiful baby and let her spoil her with everything - she’s just excited that she can do for her and it’s nothing against you at all - she’s just a proud grandma and wants to absorb every precious moment she can with her first gr.baby - I wish I could do the same for one of my gr.children doesn’t live near me - he’s not my first but is the first child of my 2nd son - love and giving is a true blessing take it as just that and enjoy it.

3 Likes

Sounds like a proud excited grandma :grin:

1 Like

So glad I didnt have that to worry about. An thank god I will never ever have in laws

Let her enjoy her first grandchild wish they were all like that

1 Like

She can’t help herself! Cherish the moments and know that your baby is loved!

2 Likes

Very well said, that’s what we live for our grand babies who grow up fast.

Wait, you’re complaining about her buying stuff for her grandchild? I can see the overbearingness being a little annoying but try to understand that’s her family, she’s not just your daughter, she’s your husband’s daughter too. Use your voice and talk to her, or your husband if you don’t like it.

1 Like

Her first grandaughter. My first grandaughter was a mommies baby. Cried when I held her. Thank God my daughter had twins. My grandson loved me holding him.
Now at 12, both of those grandchildren know their grandma is there for them & I love them.
Your baby needs the same from her grandma as well.

2 Likes

She loves the baby, its her grandchild, let her enjoy.

1 Like

Sounds like she’s just super excited. Maybe sit her down and tell her your issues and maybe she’ll realize she’s being overbearing.
You’re so lucky to have a mil who cares so much though. My husbands mother never once held either of our kids when they were babies. Both times I tried to hand babies to her and she just flat out refused. I’d be so thrilled to have a mother in law who loved her grand babies that much.

You said this was her first grandchild it will get better I am a grandma and I have 7 of them but when it’s your first you are so happy to become a grandma and she not meaning any harm she just love that little girl I was the same way and I guarantee you will do the same when you be come a grandma it’s a wonderful feeling so just let it be she don’t mean any harm be happy for her it’s family and some day you might need her to watch her so let her be happy :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Look up justnomil on reddit. Lots of useful advice on there.

Pick your battles mama. Its a stage.

1 Like