My mother-in-law forces my kids to go to church: Advice?

Church has never hurt any child , might do them good .Be happy they get the opportunity to go with their grandparents , this they will remember in their older years !

10 Likes

What grandma and grandpa says goes. If you don’t like it find somebody else for watch your kids. Simple as that.

3 Likes

No one should ever push their religious beliefs on anyone. If they are interested that’s one thing but being forced is wrong. I’d put my foot down on that one even if I had to hire someone to stay with them. Grandparents are wrong here. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Better than hood ratt’n

1 Like

Find someone else to watch your kids. Religious brainwashing is dangerous to children. Don’t let your kids be forced to believe in fairy tales.

3 Likes

Would you rather they be taken to an x-rated movie? Be thankful they’re being exposed to worthwhile morals and guidance,
They’ll be better citizens and better people for these experiences

5 Likes

If it really bothered you , then you would just pick them up when you got off work. And I find it hard to believe that the MIL “refuses” to drop your kids off every Sunday morning… if she was that “crazy” and kept your kids against their and your will, fb isn’t the place to handle that…

Maybe one of you should try to find a job where you can work day shift and then you wouldn’t have to worry about it🤷🏼‍♀️

When I was 11 I was staying home alone watching my siblings 13 is old enough

1 Like

Going to church won’t kill them and it will give them a chance to learn about their grandparents religion. They will also have the memories of the time spent with the grandparents when they are no longer here. Wish I could spend more time with mine, but since they have passed on I really cherish the memories I have of them.

5 Likes

My grandma made me go to church. It didn’t hurt me. I learned how to treat other kids. How not make fun of anyone. They need to go to church. Spend time with their grandparents. Never know how long they will be here on this earth.

5 Likes

Is there any way one of you could get a day job instead maybe?

I’m a Christian and attend church but I would never make my grandchildren go against their will. You can teach Christian values to a child without making them enter a church building.

What’s wrong with YOU picking up YOUR kids from the MIL’s house on your way home from work?

NO ONE BESIDES THE PARENT HAS THE RIGHT TO MAKE MY KIDS DO SOMETHING THEY DON’T WANT TO DO. JS

1 Like

Wish my grandma would have tried harder. I might have made better decisions

2 Likes

Pick them up when you get off work that way u don’t have to worry about that

Sometimes in life you don’t always get what you want. Have you thought maybe the inlaws are taking them to church knowing the kids dont like it, hoping one day you can find another option so they can have some time to themselves.

1 Like

Ew to everyone who is trying to make excuses for these grandparents cuz just no, forcing religion on children is not okay… it’s not about what the grandparents want it’s about what the kids want and the kids comfort alway comes first there is no “well they could do worse and blah blah” no the kids voiced they do not want to go and that needs to be respected on the grandparents end she shouldn’t have to find a new sitter it’s the grandparents that need to respect the children and there boundaries and stop them home on the way to church.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t like it. But I would also make other childcare arrangements. You can’t ask your in laws not to go to church. Find somewhere else for your kids to be if it makes you really uncomfortable.

3 Likes

It doesn’t hurt them

Be thankful your children have grandparents. Mine would give anything to have their grandpa back. If their lifestyle is going to church, then the kids go if they are at grandparents house. Why is that fair to grandparents to have them change their Sunday morning routine? Did I necessarily want to go at that age? No…but I was the child and they were the adult. Teenagers are selfish and want to do what they want to do. One day they will only have memories of their grandparents. Church is 1 hour on Sundays unless you go to Sunday school. Religion may not interest them now, but later they might be interested. You never know. What is not replaceable is time with their grandparents and I find it disrespectful that you expect them to change their routine when you are having them watch them.

4 Likes

Why don’t you just be grateful they have your kids while your at work!

6 Likes

A little churcg never hurt anyone. Expecting them to help you with your kids and give up attending church isn’t reasonable. Plus most churches do fun activities with kids.

4 Likes

I am through with in laws and so many people telling couples how to raise their children, how to act, how to live. The best marriage is the one away from both families.

I wouldn’t like it. Especially since it’s not something practised in home. Unfortunately if they can’t follow what you’ve requested the only other option is other care.

1 Like

I’ve got all kinds of opinions on this one.

The bottom line is that you need to find another sitter if you don’t think this situation is working out for you and your kids.

I feel pretty confident that the in laws were church goers before you asked them to babysit your teens. You can’t expect them to give up going to church. Kids don’t always get what they want, otherwise they’d never grow up or take on any kind of responsibilities. If you’re that anti-church, and have raised your kids the same way, then you need to find a sitter who will provide the environment you think is appropriate for your kids.

14 Likes

She is overstepping her boundries !

2 Likes

I mean you’re needing her help here………

3 Likes

Y’all think it’s funny but it’s not forcing religion on someone isn’t funny and it will actually push them away from it

1 Like

Maybe you could arrange for someone else to pick them up in the morning before church or one of you should switch weekends so you’re not scheduled on the same one.

2 Likes

Yes. You are wrong. Tell them to cherish time with grandma, be respectful while in church, and soak in a little golden rule while they’re there. They don’t have to believe what they’re hearing but they won’t die hearing it.

21 Likes

If you’re not comfortable with it, they don’t want to go and grandparents will not budge on it…then you have to find an alternative sitter for the kids.
Theyre old enough to make up their own mind about their beliefs so if they continue to go, it’s just spending time with grandparents rather than a churchy thing…take a book and read maybe?

7 Likes

It’s not fair to expect them to skip church and as you said you don’t feel comfortable leaving them alone… sounds like you need to pay somebody else to watch them.

1 Like

Find another sitter. And if they’re 13, they’re old enough to stay home alone before church. Stand up for your children and YOUR beliefs not your MIL.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely entitled to your feelings, and she is absolutely wrong for continuing to do something you’ve stated you are uncomfortable with. I totally understand needing sitters, but I think you’ll need to find a different one if she’s not going to honor your wishes. That’s wildly disrespectful on her part.

3 Likes

As parents it is our responsibility to train up the child and when they get older they will not depart from it. Also do not forsake the assembly of believers!!!

11 Likes

Eewh… just let them stay home… 13 is old enough. Have food in the frig… set up cameras and tell them open door for no one… not even that grandma.

3 Likes

U both work nights so pick the kids home n then head home… They are old enough to watch them selves while u guys sleep for work… That’s what I would do if my kids were old enough

1 Like

If they have not made up their minds yet then let them go to church it will help them figure it out. It basically sounds more like you have made up their minds for them

8 Likes

Consider it the price of free babysitting.

5 Likes

She goes to church. If you can’t leave them alone then neither can she. You have the choice of someone else watching your kids on Saturday night.

7 Likes

My sister and her husband have different shifts so they don’t need a sitter for their kids. Maybe just look into that :person_shrugging: it’s not your choice what your Mother In Law believes in, church starts early af to begin with. It’s either wake up a couple teens hours before church and get them home and then go to church or them wake them up and take them so they don’t have to deal with moodier teens

Personally I see no harm in them going I went when I was a little girl. my Two Kids go Age 6& almost 10 they don’t go every week But they Enjoy about Learning about all of that My Almost 10 year old says he doesn’t Believe but he enjoys seeing the family and Learning about it. I went it Till I was at a age I was able to stay at home alone!

1 Like

Pick them up on your way home and have them back there while you sleep. How much do you sleep when back? I used to sleep all day but others I knew only slept until lunch time after 4 hours. They’re old enough to be absorbed in gadgets for a few hours. Get easy to sort food out ready, make them a packup and snack box for them to dip into during the day so there’s no cooking. Either that or find someone else to be there until midnight once they’re well asleep and have cameras so you can keep an eye on them throughout your shift

Be thankful you have a mother in law that is helping raise the kids in church !

12 Likes

Greatest place for them. Thank God my grandmother took me to church and taught me about God and Jesus. We all need to go. It’s our place of guidance, comfort and power to face this world.

10 Likes

Some of these comments are so cringy. You can airways tell which people were religiously indoctrinated as children themselves, but haven’t yet escaped their own brainwashing :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I personally dont see a problem its up to them still whether they believe, but end of the day they are helping you out for free i take it too x i went to church didnt really want to at 1st as can be boring lol if you are so against it find another child minder or work out shifts or pick ups so they dont have to go

1 Like

They aren’t being forced to believe they are just going.

Someone is watching your kids for free you can’t be too picky

It’s wrong she ignores your wishes but it is her house.

6 Likes

Wow the amount of people who just think it’s ok for something like this to happen is kind of disturbing. The child should have been dropped off or been allowed to be picked up before the gma took him to church. If a parent doesn’t want their child going somewhere you do not take that child there period. It doesn’t matter if it’s Walmart or church or a relatives house. Just because you do something nice to help someone for free doesn’t give you the right to control things or force anyone to do anything. Every one of you so called christians are disgusting to say the least.

3 Likes

Yes you are wrong.

In so many ways…1, if church isn’t hurting them then why fight it? 2, if you think your mil will intentionally hurt your children why leave them with her? 3, if you don’t trust your mil decisions, just like with anyone, don’t leave your children with her 4, if you don’t like her decisions, then don’t ask her for shit then you won’t have to decide if you “like” her lifestyle

Hell if I was her, I’d tell you to find another job til you can find another sitter then you can really pay to be the boss you want to be (but can’t afford to be…cuz if you could, you’d get a nanny and not ever have this problem again)

It’s the entitled ass comments from adults who expect THEIR aging parents to pacify THEIR needs for me…like t f

This is what’s wrong with society…htf you really mad at a grandma for taking their grandchild with them ANY FUKN WHERE that ain’t the damn whore house…

And for grandma to deal with this shit…again…I’d tell my mom to leave her grandchild where they at cuz the disrespect and entitlement is beyond me.

Grandmas are NOT required to sacrifice anything for grandchildren…and we should appreciate when they do.

Pick them up on your way home if u can

could you and your husband split the day for sleep so you can keep the kids at home at 13 they should be able to amuse themselves quietly while you sleep

Why should your in laws change their routine. If you or your children don’t like it, perhaps pay for a baby sitter.

4 Likes

l Get paid over $113 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16357 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarPort38.pages.dev/

There’s nothing wrong with them goin to church n she won’t bring them home cause they hostage for company

So if they don’t want to go to school you let them stay home?

5 Likes

Kids need to be in church but if you prefer a different church have a church bus pick them up from her house

2 Likes

Or stop asking her to bring them to you when you get off work in mornings go pick them up she’s babysitting for free and she needs to have time to get ready before church herself and may not have time to top she don’t want to be late so pick them up early they can deal with that or church

2 Likes

This is beautiful Mr. Keith McCullough. I’ve received my payment from bsvtrading-btcearnings.com company wallet directly into my Coinbase wallet. Investing with you is the greatest achievement I’ve ever got , it is proven that what was written about you is true. You are highly worthy of my TESTIMONY that’s why I will continue to testify this to others to see that you are CREDIBLE. Thank you for your honesty…:pray::pray::pray: I’m so grateful, you’re the best :kissing_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: receiving the huge amount of profit will set me further with my plans.
Send him a DM :envelope_with_arrow: :point_right: :point_right: Redirecting...

I guess the question is are your in laws partaking in the church service on that night also? If they are bringing the kids and not going then I would be a little upset. However, if they attend the church that night and bring the kids along with them it’s not fair to the in-laws that they can no longer go bc the kids don’t want to go. It wouldn’t be fair for them to have to change their routine

2 Likes

Well I understand however sometimes in life we have to do things we don’t want to and if that is your free sitter than I would just try to deal with it. It doesn’t shoukd like she is changing her mind to fit yours so either deal or get another sitter. Which may cost more than u want to pay considering you had it free.

2 Likes

id be pissed if my mil kept doing it - especially when my husband and i both asked them to stop taking them
so yea - you ain’t wrong
and id lay my foot down about it no more questions asked
your the parents. not them

2 Likes

Taking them to a church doesn’t force them into believing. My dad was a non believer but let his parents take us to church so we could know it and form our own opinions. To be honest it isn’t hurting anything. Better than them being home alone as teens having parties and trying drugs.

4 Likes

Church won’t hurt them a bit.

6 Likes

Just tell them I would appreciate it if you didn’t take my kids to church, what they are doing is forcing religion on them, brainwashing if you will

I was “forced” to go to Church as a kid. I hated it! But guess what, it didn’t hurt me one bit! Church is good for kids. Won’t hurt 'em. Let her take them! Maybe they will get something out of going. Not going to be young forever. Soon they will be adults and hopefully something instilled in them from your MIL or Church. My opinion it’s a good thing.

6 Likes

You have a free sitter, you trust, that loves your kids, nitpicking can ruin a good thing.

6 Likes

My in laws would if they could but - it’s my kid and I simply wouldn’t let them??? No is a complete sentence. They respect the boundary or the kids no longer go there if they don’t bring them home before church. I think a long vacation from the grandparents is WAY overdue as is a serious conversation regarding blatant disrespect and disregard.

Maybe instead of looking at it like “she forces them”…. (most teens wouldn’t jump at going to church, I wouldn’t think…?)
Look at it from gratefulness, that she’s allowing them a opportunity to experience something different & possibly valuable teachings. It may help them in deciding certain actions, as they get older. Also, you’ve entrusted her to care & keep them safe, so please remember that important piece.:revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Do you pay them to watch your kids? Do you pick them up yourself before church?
Stop this, you’re being childish

7 Likes

One day your kids will look back during a hard time in their life and remember something from these days in church! These seeds are getting planted in them for a reason! They may not want to go but it’s respect to their grandparents! Maybe get them involved with out young kids at the church so it wouldn’t be as teadious to them. I’m sure there are great programs for it. Our church focuses on children they are our future!! Hopefully the generation that saves this horrible world!! :heartpulse::pray::raised_hands: its not the end of the world they go. Encourage it rather than go against it.

3 Likes

Not a terrible thing. Weren’t we all forced to go to church back in the day? Maybe they will get something good out of it. And at their age, of course they don’t like it, who did! At least she isn’t taking them to a bar and making them sit in a car while she gets all honked up :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Your kid your rules. I’d be livid anyone took my kids to church lol at the people being like “I was forced to go to church and I didn’t die”.

2 Likes

What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger. Lol.

2 Likes

One of you needs to switch to day shift thats your best solution :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Unless they are being hurt at church let them go bc I know from experience it’s a good thing!!! I was forced to go to church as a kid and as an adult I walked away and didn’t go or have much to do with any thing concerning God butt now I’m 49 years old and thank God that my mom forced me to go! My mom died when I was 27 and my dad died when I 21 and was an only child butt now I understand they statement plant the seed!!! Who knows maybe God will change your life like he did mine!!!

Nope, you tell them they are not to go or they are no longer allowed to go to their house :woman_shrugging:t2: it might suck, but find someone else to watch them that will respect your wishes

As long as it is a Bible teaching church I have no problem. Church isn’t the worst place they could take them

2 Likes

Church won’t hurt the kids. I grew up going to church and my children always wanted to go to church when they were little. It is good teaching for all of us. Remember, God loves the children.

2 Likes

Get another sitter. MIL goes to Church the kids go where MIL goes period.

10 Likes

I was forced to go to a church I HATED and I ended up not going to church for years after. It’s actually made me think very very bad of the Baptists. I refuse to walk into that place again, my kids won’t and I won’t force them to go anywhere.

1 Like

No one cares what sky daddy says :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Go to their house before church starts and pick up the kids. Duhhhhh. If you dont want them to go. And she goes. The only solution is for you to get them before church.

4 Likes

As for her and her house they will serve the Lord don’t like it find a new sitter oh and good luck with that these days

4 Likes

Ma’am take care of your own d* kids!!! If they can stay at home, then why not leave them there?! It’s because you probably don’t feel they’ll be safe. YOU don’t get to determine what your in-laws do with their time. If that equals church, then that’s what it is!!! If you’re anti-church and your in-laws aren’t and you want them to watch your kid, then deal with it or change your work schedule.

4 Likes

Just gonna be blunt here, if you don’t like it then don’t depend on them to take care of your children. One of you find a way to switch shifts if this is such an issue. Church, not religion, is a good thing. There are a multitude of worse things your in-laws could be doing and they are choosing to care for your children. Teenagers don’t like anything they are “forced” to do, they are teenagers. If you don’t like it, you’re their parent, make a change.

4 Likes

If there looking after them its fine . There doing you a favour you dont want them to go give up your night job

2 Likes

Why isn’t it legal for them to be home? Check your state laws. More then likely you will find there is no set law. My state follows our neighboring state as guidelines. Age 11. Can be left home alone for up to 12 hours as long as you are there before and after those 12 hours. I wasn’t comfortable with it either. So I waited a bit longer. But there is no reason a 13 year old can’t be home alone. And watch siblings. Also. Having knowledge of religions won’t hurt them. But. Yeah. They can drop the kids off at your place before church. Or you guys can pick them up after your shift.

Oh no the people watching your kids for free so you can make money are making them go to church for 2 hours. Like you said they cant be home alone. So are you expecting your in laws to not practice their religion and not go to church as well?

2 Likes

I mean, do you pay them to watch your kids? If you have a problem with it, don’t work Saturday nights :woman_shrugging: simple as that. Or GO PICK UP YOUR KIDS before they leave Sunday. Honestly your sounding kinda selfish to ask them to move their routine around for your convenience.

2 Likes

It sounds like your MIL is doing you a huge favor for watching your kids. Asking her to give up church because the kids don’t like it, is completely selfish on your part. Maybe you should consider changing your work schedule to accommodate your children’s discomfort.

1 Like

Just thank God that you don’t have to worry about it if your children a safe and thank them

1 Like

13 should be old enough to be home alone. I would double check that.

3 Likes

I’d be pissed. So I wouldn’t leave my kids with them anymore. Simple.

1 Like

Would you rather the grandmother stop going to church to accommodate your desire that they not go to church?!?! If so, then HIRE A BABYSITTER. When a family member is babysitting for FREE, you go along with their lifestyle!!

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with them going to church :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

You can feel however you want and while I agree they shouldn’t be forced to go, your inlaws are doing you a favor by watching them and if they want to take the kids to church then just let them. It’s not like it’s gonna hurt your kids any. If it bothers you that much your options are to find another person to watch your kids overnight or work a different shift so one of you can be home at nights with your kids.

3 Likes

They’re 13… just trust them? Maybe not legal but I was alone at 13yo a lot… just get cameras or something if you don’t feel they’ll be safe… even the doorbell camera will record for you… there are options and solutions.

1 Like

I’d be irritated as well, especially if it’s something the kids didn’t wish to partake in. A friend of mine was in a similar situation… So instead, she decided to invest in some of those globe cameras that she can access right from an app on her phone & has them placed in every room of her house, aside from bathrooms. They’re also able to communicate through them as well. It gave her a little more peace of mind.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with church. Be thankful it’s not something bad. Sounds like they love their grandkids to me.

4 Likes