My mother-in-law forces my kids to go to church: Advice?

I think you need to pick your battles here. I’m not a religious person at all. But if I worked nights & my kids had to stay at grandparents house, I’d have to accept that Sunday church is part of it. 13 year olds will kick up a stink about anything. But until they’re old enough, they need to follow the adults.

18 Likes

if you feel uncomfortable with them going to church … the only thing you can do is adjust your work schedule so that one of you can be home with the kids

5 Likes

Could be worst the grandparents could say no I do t want to watch them they raised their kids they didn’t sign up to raise yours . And trust me ur kids do get something out of going their listening to what’s being said . So what’s the worst thing that’s could happen they learn compassion

2 Likes

Pick them up in the morning when you get off work and take them home.

2 Likes

Then find another sitter. I do agree kids should not be forced but you’re interfering with their church time. So if you do not wish for your kids to attend then find another sitter.

5 Likes

Lol… you need their help, and they’re helping you… you don’t get to dictate what they do when they babysit.

6 Likes

Ehh, if your asking her to watch them, she has the right to make them go with her. If you don’t agree, hire a sitter

5 Likes

Religion is B.S. it’s all fiction. Those are your children.

6 Likes

The amount of people being like “it’s not a big deal”, you’re part of the problem, congratulations. :clap:
Religion is a choice, & should be treated as such. No kid should be forced to go to church, period. Full stop. But especially if a kid has verbally expressed that they don’t want to be there, please do your best to listen to them.
Getting help from your family can be challenging, but I think if you let your in laws know how you feel, & that you are serious, if they overstep again, I’d find other means of childcare.

23 Likes

Where are you….at when this force is goin on?

I’m confused at the amount of ppl that are completely okay with forced religion. Yes, her MIL is doing her a favor - but the religion they chose to practice is a choice; not something that should be forced on them. And for the ones saying the children NEED the religion and church services - the first thing the Bible teaches us is thou shall not judge - yet this entire post is nothing but judgement. - she asked an honest question and most of y’all did nothing but attack her, tell her to be grateful or tell her to suck it up and deal with it. Clearly the church you tell her she should be grateful for isn’t teaching the greatest of values if that’s what it’s instilling in people. - and it didn’t answer a single question she asked.

To answer the question mom - their are teens. If you don’t want them going, have them grandparents drop them off at home on the way to church, or you and your husband are just going to have to become comfortable with them staying home alone overnight since it’s not against the law for them to do so. That, or you’re going to have to find someone who can stay in your home to keep an eye on them, that way it’s your home and your rules and you don’t have to worry about them going somewhere you do not approve of.

I had a mother in law like that. I stopped sending my kids

1 Like

Many kids at that age rebel. Ask them what they learned and how to apply it to their life
I work with people with addictions. Many feel if they had stayed true their beliefs they would have been able to be stronger people. It’s a gift to believe in a higher power. Encourage by asking questions and ask to see the bulletin As they get older they will have the choice but plant the seed of hope

4 Likes

Yes. If you disapprove of how your free childcare is conducted, then find an alternative. Frankly I’d be impressed that she got teens to do anything they don’t want. As long as they’re not snake handlers, it won’t kill them and at least they can come to an opinion on what they feel about religion even if it’s that they decide that it’s not for them.

4 Likes

U are not wrong at all no one should be forced to go to church cause if you force someone to do something then they wi never wanna do it as they get older. Just because your MIL goes to church doesn’t mean she should make your kids go if I was you I would let her know real quick to take them home they are your kids not hers. Go to her

2 Likes

How about you go get your kids then? Why should she have to drop them off when she’s doing you a favor by watching them?

8 Likes

I see no harm being done that they’re going even if they don’t want to. You want it to stop, find someone else, but there is no wrong being done here. And I’m not religious. I went with friends from time to time and I that’s how I’ve been able to find the problems I do have with religion. But never have I ever had a bad experience where i was hurt in any way with going. Over all church isn’t a bad place to be. Basically you’re saying if your child doesn’t want to be dragged along with you to an event you like but they don’t they shouldn’t have to go, right? Are you going to let them stay behind for family activities you planned because they don’t want to go and don’t like what you have planned? In no way am I saying they have to be religious but going I feel helps them learn and make their own educated decisions such as I have done. I find no legitimacy in religion as a value even though I may agree with a few values their points of hypocrisy and judgment and out right bs. But they’re your children and if you feel they shouldn’t have to go then go get them and make other arrangements.

We make it simple, preach to our kids, take them to church, discuss your religion with them at all and you never see our kids again.

2 Likes

Nope if my family forced my kid to go to church and refused to listen to my wishes, they’d be cut off indefinitely without hesitation.

3 Likes

There house there rules … if they go to church then that’s there schedule on Sunday’s don’t like it find some one else

7 Likes

They are CHILDREN!!! If the grandparents are the sitters, and the sitters go to church, then the children go where the sitters go. Deal with it, or find another sitter.

9 Likes

Religion is like a penis. It’s all cool and well if you have one but don’t bring out in public, don’t shove it down other peoples throats and don’t force it upon children……I’d find another sitter. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Pay for a sitter then?

4 Likes

Hell no would I be sending them there

If u work midnight are u home before church. Can’t u pick your kids up on your way home from work.

Where exactly do u live that it’s illegal to leave a 13 year old home alone?!
If you don’t want ur children to go with them to church then you don’t get the free babysitting you are receiving from ur in laws. Simple as that🤷🏻‍♀️

3 Likes

How about thank you for looking after my kids while I work.

12 Likes

How can they choose anything if you still haven’t chosen one? One hour isn’t going to change their minds. They still have a choice when they are adults to go or not… visiting churches isn’t the worst thing or like everyone else mentioned, make other arrangements.

1 Like

I’m going to guess they go, because she is going. If your expectation is for her not to go because your kids don’t want to go, then find yourself another sitter. If she is supposed to leave them at home while she goes… then obviously they don’t need a sitter…

4 Likes

Hmm… find a different sitter or deal with it.
Things in life could be a whole hella lot worse than sucking it up and going to church with your grandparents!

To take them to church is better to do now to give them a religious base. Later they will decide if they follow, change or don’t want to have a religion.

3 Likes

Eh little Jesus never hurt anyone :woman_shrugging:t3:

8 Likes

Look up your local state laws and see what the law says and how mature they are

Just pay someone else to watch them.

3 Likes

They are 13. They can certainly make up their minds. Let them explore as they wish. Then they will maybe find a religion that they truly love and will follow. To force someone to do something they don’t want to do will only cause resentment. Maybe you could find someone else to watch them instead of MIL.

1 Like

Is this really a question? Thank God it’s church & not elsewhere.

18 Likes

Go get them when y’all get off church don’t start till around 9am

2 Likes

Maybe there is a satanic cult meet up at the park they may like better???

6 Likes

It will
Never hurt them! They will
Always remember that she cared! z unless you make a big deal

9 Likes

I’d see if someone else could watch them, my grandparents forced me to go to church when I was younger and now I’m not really religious at all.

2 Likes

Get a babysitter then, they r doing u a favor.

5 Likes

Just saying, they probably don’t want to go to school, or clean their rooms. So let’s make sure to not force them to do anything against their will! They are kids! You are supposed to be an adult. In laws are adults, so if you want to continue to raise little pansies, keep letting them do only what they want, and while your at it, find a different job or a different free babysitter. There will come a day, when you will stand before your creater and have to give account for why you did not train them up on the way they should go! My prayers are with you.

15 Likes

Her house - her rules .

2 Likes

Is it a Cult?
If not I am battling cancer and I see both sides of this…if they can not leave the kids alone as u can not and they go to church what are they to do with them? It is not fair for them not to go to church to help u out. My faith helps me, the church is like a 2nd family unless they are a cult…
Some of my friends who were forced to go to church no longer go…some who were forced continue to go because it adds to their lives…some who never went as children wish their parents had not denied them that experience.

3 Likes

Do your kids like going to church with their grandparents? If so, then you’re making a big deal for nothing. If they don’t, then find a sitter who doesn’t go to church.

2 Likes

I don’t see why at 13 they should be forced to attend church. There is not only one religion and some people are not religious at all, if it’s not out of the way to drop the kids off I’d look for a different baby sitter. They’re your children, sure your in laws are doing you a favor by watching them but they’re still your children, they’ve had their chance to raise kids they need to respect you and your boundaries

I would remind them that the more children are forced to attend church the more they will rebel against church as soon as they can and are able to and you will support that if they keep pushing church in their faces and down their throats.

I’d pay for a sitter girlfriend! None of that should be forced upon someone who doesn’t wish to partake in the religion. They’re your children you do what you think is right :heart:

Going to church won’t kill your kids.

6 Likes

Keep them home or find someone else. They go to church certain days and the kids can go. I went to church on Sunday’s with my grandmother and if I didn’t want to go I stay home. That’s what she liked and did. Their life doesn’t stop because they have your kids.

5 Likes

13 years old is old enough to stay home alone…I was watching kids from Friday night to Sunday afternoon when I was 12 …

2 Likes

Some of us wish we had that support system you do. You make it seem as if she has them working as assistant manager in her kitchen meth lab. Cheeze-us woman can’t you be thankful for family?

8 Likes

Pay someone to watch them. I am sure there are worse places to than church… personally I think you should be greatful :sparkles: :pray:

10 Likes

It’s not going to kill them. My parents and grandparents forced me to go to church and my mother didn’t believe in it.

3 Likes

It’s not as if they are taking them to a gang or something
Church is not the worst thing on earth.

2 Likes

If you are worried about it and don’t want it to keep happening you have every right to pay someone to watch your kids. Sounds like paying someone else to watch your kids is the right way to go for everyone including the in-laws

3 Likes

How would I feel? ….Grateful!!!

6 Likes

Start picking them up when you get off of work if that’s not good enough for you. I mean you sound extremely ungrateful. So I’d say from now, start picking up your kids once you get off of work. That sounds like your only option.

Did they get in trouble and thats why they can’t stay alone?

They are willing to watch your children for free. Be grateful. Even if they don’t become religious, they will become more well-rounded individuals and learn a few things. Church isn’t going to kill them.

4 Likes

Don’t have them watch them anymore. Have them stay with someone else or pay someone to watch them.

You should be grateful she is taking to church, that might keep them from setting on a street corner doing drugs=== Church will not hurt them, you should go with them to see what Church is all about

5 Likes

You tolerate it but you don’t have to. You could laugh it off and say no, they don’t call the shots when it comes to your kids, you do.

Ridiculous! Those grandparents are going to live their life and you cannot dictate that. I bet they babysit free too. Church isn’t going to hurt them. And yes 13 they should be able to stay by themselves unless that is the real problem is they have an issue of not listening which is your real problem and probably why they don’t want to sit in church.

3 Likes

Your in-laws go to church (that is their lifestyle) and they are watching your kids; thus they take the kids to church while in their care. There I fixed your post. Find new child care or teach your kids acknowledgement without acceptance is perfectly acceptable. Teach them about multiple religions and teach them that while in their grandparents care; church is part of their lifestyle and until they can stay home alone or you find new care, they’ll get to go and learn what it is about. Teach them that every opportunity can be a moment for education and church isn’t the worst place they could be; I say this even as an atheist.

11 Likes

At 13 I don’t understand why they can’t stay home…alone…definately old enough…unless you left out part of the story?

4 Likes

Your MIL knows they need God in their lives.

6 Likes

So, if you were choosing to leave your kids with your in-laws due to you both working, then they follow the rules of that family’s household. If your in-laws go to church on Sunday mornings and they are there, expect them to go to church.

7 Likes

Investment pay faster than hardworking. Every rich man/woman you see today invested, it’s not just their hardworking that makes them who they are today. So don’t let someone else opinion stop you from investing on binary option trading. Start building your future and the future of your generations today. Send “CRYPTO” as Direct Message to :point_down: :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

Sounds like maybe you should go to church? :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Do you pay her to sit and watch your kids? These children should be glad for their grandmother’s company. Must mean less game time to them. Some kids are selfish for a reason.

2 Likes

Outrageous!! Find and pay for overnight child then.

1 Like

They should respect what you want for your kids. Find someone else to watch them.

3 Likes

Amen, your kids aren’t get church through you so thank God for Grandmas! I agree with Sara! Someday you might be very grateful to her for we all need Jesus!

3 Likes

Not going to kill them to go with grandparents teacher for a couple hours once a week bring their order they will have that memory they will also know what they want to follow that route or not

1 Like

You should be grateful that someone is looking out for your childrens souls. Souls are real, Jesus is real, heaven is real. If they dont care for the religion that is fine but they need to learn about the above mentioned. Would you be fine if your children died having not accepted Jesus? Do you know that as parents you are held accountable for their souls.

8 Likes

Their house their rules. And 13yr old is that rebellious age. They’re not taking them somewhere else that is not good for them. You need to stay home with your kids. Your kids sounds ungrateful like you are. Look like it’s not a big deal to your husband because he’s not approaching his parents. I mean probably same way he was raised. Was to to go to church. You need lots of Jesus woman

4 Likes

I’m sorry but I don’t believe any child should be force to go to church. I believe in God…yes…but making a child go don’t agree sorry. The grandparents should respect the parents wishes with something like that. They are old enough to be alone while they go to church

7 Likes

You are right in your way of thinking!

1 Like

I’m Agnostic and I don’t do religion in my home. If my kids WANT to explore religion, they can, but I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with my kids being forced to attend church.

I personally am uncomfortable with my kids attending specific churches because, you know, decades of pedophilia.

2 Likes

You are having them watch your kids. Their rules follow. If they goto church your kids go. You can’t ask them to not attend church because they have to stay with your kids.

7 Likes

Be glad they are going to church, most kids run wild and put themselves in situations they shouldn’t.

2 Likes

Maybe suggest they go to a church that your children are interested in the religion? If they’re that set on it, and if your children are interested obviously, then they need to be respectful of the religion your children choose.

Pay a babysitter end of story.

6 Likes

Tell them to subtly put on headphones and listen to music if they don’t want to take part… Small price to pay for free babysitting.

1 Like

They will likely be better off for what they learn there and for the extra time they are with their grandparents. Plus, maybe they enjoy being able to show off their grandkids to people there. I’d talk with the kids and explain that they can choose to believe what they want later but it’s really special to their grandparents to share this with them and that they love having them with them at church.
I think grandmas heart is totally in the right place here

5 Likes

Change schedule of yours or find a new siiter?

1 Like

Can one of you change shifts at work or are your inlaws close enough that your teens could travel to your home when your inlaws go to church? Have you neighbours or friends close to your home that your kids could go to for help in an emergency?
Personally wouldnt be happy if my kids were forced to attend church and id be looking for an alternative arrangement tbh.

She’s not doing anything wrong.
Planting a small mustard seed will lead them in the right direction.
She loves and cares for them enough to show them who God and Jesus are.

There’s nothing but love and kindness in what she’s doing.
Be thankful that she’s showing them a path that leads to everlasting life.
I understand how you feel and that you want to be respected too however… It could be she’s taking them to drag queen story time instead would you be ok with that?
Show some grace while they are in her care it’s her rules (your rules must be abided by too) it’s really not a big deal and she’s teaching them good values responsibility and empathy… The bible is our promise our history and the love God has for all his children as well as giving us daily rules to live by…
I pray you both can see eye to eye with each other and accept each other just the way you are but by also encouraging each other to be and do better :heart:

10 Likes

While waiting for your salary, you can earn good profit to take care of yourself and your family from crypto currency investment (stock trading) despite the ONGOING INFLATION. Don’t depend on a single income. Invest in the Crypto digital market now that the market is favorable and very profitable. Click on the link to message Mr. Keith McCullough for more insight on how to earn bitcoin successfully from the comfort of your home legitimately.

Find a new sitter. Or fix your schedule so they don’t have to go.

1 Like

They’re not really old enough to kinda understand “religion” right now I don’t think… I think they are just teenagers and don’t wanna do whatever the adult says… you know, being rebellious🤷‍♀️ I spent the night with my granny every Saturday and went to church on Sunday from a baby till late teens… I appreciate it now… those years gave ne time to figure out what I did and didn’t believe and what I wanted to learn more about! I wouldn’t trade that time for anything… the learning experience and the time spent with my granny!

10 Likes

They do not need to go period. There’s no reason why she can’t drop them off or they can’t walk home. Set hard boundaries

3 Likes

Is taking them the only solution of having the kids be watched over as you wish and your in laws to be able to go to church too??

if you can’t leave them alone then neither can your parents. if you’re relying on your parents to watch the kids, and your parents go to church, then yes the kids have to go too.

13 Likes

Change jobs/hours or find a sitter who doesn’t go to church… not that easy huh??!!

Free child care, let it go. They can and will choose for themselves about their spirituality. Biblical morals presented in church will not hurt them.

9 Likes

Maybe find them a different babysitter if you don’t want them to go.

4 Likes

Are your kids responsible? Do you trust them?

If you can’t find another sitter, pack their church clothes when you send them over for her to babysit. If they are babysitting and going to church is part of their routine, then they should go with them. Are they sitting for you often and do they charge you for their services?

2 Likes