My mother in law got mad I put my baby in a walker: advice?

It was banned because parents used it as a babysitting tool and not paid attention to the child and kids fell down stairs and down the driveway

3 Likes

She is right. Walkers are unnecessary and let babies walk incorrectly and problems with legs, feet, and hips.

2 Likes

Use an electric swing instead if it’s for restraining purposes! And use a regular mobile walker for teaching to walk later on. Either way she should shut her face if she isn’t going to be respectful, kind or educational about how she talks to you concerning YOUR child. No reason to snap like that it’s not THAT damn serious lol. They say they can damage their hips but that’s probably only in cases where people kept their babies in them 24.7 I’d imagine. Doing it here and there isn’t going to cause any harm. If YOU’RE concerned about it though… Go with the swing. I used all three tbh, a swing, walker they sit in like yours, AND a doorway walker bouncy swing too sometimes when cooking they say is the worst of all… and my kids hips/legs are just fine. Screw what any mother in law says either way. Not her baby. YOUR baby your rules. Set boundaries with her now or you’re in for a world of hell later

I had my baby in his at 6 months and he absolutely loves it.

1 Like

All my kids used walkers they are adults now with no issues from using them

Seriously this is a thing??? Every kids different and as long as you watch them screw what everyone else says

2 Likes

I’m Canadian, they were banned because people weren’t watching their kids and they went down the stairs. At least this was my understanding.

7 Likes

My baby is 6months and uses his everyday and walks around the whole house.

1 Like

Just keep it away from steps. Walkers are completely fine every kid I know has used one

2 Likes

Have 3 kids. (17, 15 and 7)
All of them used walkers.
All of them is perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Talk to your baby’s Doctor… …,

There’s nothing wrong with them, just keep them away from stairs

All my kids had them and they had no issues whatsoever. I had one when I was a baby and have never had any issues. So did my sister, again, no issues.

2 Likes

Walkers aren’t the problem. Now there was some sort of information a while ago about how they can delay “normal” walking and cause babies to walk funny for a while, but that information stopped getting research done on it a while ago, so I wouldn’t worry about that. The reason they’re banned in Canada is because of parents not watching their kids around stairs when they’re in them, not any other reason. Just keep an eye on baby while in it, and you should be fine :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

there’s been talk of them being harmful to development if they’re placed in them all the time like all day every day bc it can cause hip dysplasia, poor posture, and hinder walking development. But every once and awhile i don’t see an issue. also if your child can’t sit unsupported they shouldn’t be in one is what i was given from my pediatrician

4 Likes

I put my babies in one at 5months. They love it. They enjoy the support to stand and strengthen there legs

2 Likes

It’s bad for their development, spine bone’s and muscles. They don’t strengthen it

2 Likes

Plenty of us had our little ones in walkers or some form of a bouncy chair. you exercise caution like everything else you do with little ones.

4 Likes

When babies are that young in a walker it can hinder core muscle development, just be mindful of that and let baby crawl on all fours and cruise along furniture to help strengthen the core

3 Likes

Sometimes it can make them bow legged strains the legs when it’s early.

1 Like

I had my kids in them and nothing happened

2 Likes

I used a swing, jolly jumper and a walker with my daughter. Nothing wrong with it as long as you’re with them. My daughter started walking at 7 months! Saying first words before that. She said, “This” and “That”, while pointing at things. Everything I did along with those three things helped in her development. It was used for playtime with her.

4 Likes

They are bad for development however its not so bad that baby won’t be walking. I put my son at 4 months and he just took a little longer to walk on his own.

AAP doesn’t recommend them for a reason, but it isn’t a banned in the USA. If you talk to your pediatrician they will advise you against it. Mostly for safety issues. Also, it can cause physical delays and problems as well. Trash the walker, better to be safe in this situation. They really should be banned in the USA.

Tell her to mind her own damn business. They’re fricken all good to use, just keep them away from steps and doors closed

My children used them and there is nothing wrong with their development, as long as baby is not in it for to long periods it’s fine… It only affects the development of spine, muscle etc, if the baby is in it for long periods of time… But a little time here and there will not affect your baby… Tell your mother in law she had her chance to raise her kid, thos one is yours and you’ll do what is best for you and your baby…

6 Likes

Marissa Zato Newcomb

9 months is the general age the usually say walkers are okay but only for a short time. It does stunt their development as their core muscles aren’t strong enough yet for all that. If you put them in walkers too early there is a possibility of needing physical therapy later to assist in learning to walk (not always and not cause you put your kid in one for five seconds one time)

3 Likes

My daughter loved hers and was in it all the time, she started actually walking a bit over 10 months, she’s now six and completely fine.

2 Likes

I recently learned that they are bad.

It can cause issues if you use them too early, or use them too much. It impacts their muscle tone and learning to sit supported, crawl, pull up on things, etc. I would say if you absolutely need to put baby in a safe place for a few minutes, occasionally, no biggie. But don’t use it as a babysitter, leave them in it for long periods of time, or let them sleep in them.

5 Likes

It’s your child, set boundaries with your mother in law she raised her children the way she chosed she should respect you as a mother

1 Like

Do what your comfort level says, not your mil. It should be common sense to keep them away from stairs but it’s not. That’s the only con is not everyone used their brain while using them. Don’t let your mil project and control your parenting especially if she’s hovering/overbearing.
Hugs

3 Likes

This is a very case by case basis. Some babies will get bowlegged and hip issues. It’s really bad. Some… nothing. Some walk sooner. :woman_shrugging:t2:. I’m thinking it has more to do with how often you have them in there and their own personal development and muscle buildup. My baby was able to lift her top half of her body at 2 months old and hold it up while laying on her belly… mostly because she’s nosey in my personal opinion lol didn’t wanna miss a thing. So I had her in a bouncer a lot and it never caused an issue. That being said, I’ve seen some babies in it a lot less time than mine was and end up needing surgery for hip issues.

1 Like

Everything’s banned anymore. :roll_eyes:
Use the walker if you want too.

2 Likes

They were banned cause a lot of kids took tumbles down stair cases while being in them. But people still manage to get them here and use them. But anything can be dangerous for a child if they’re not monitored in it.
Tell your mil it’s YOUR baby. You’re raising them how you do.
My second youngest loved her excersaucer. It entertained her if I was say making supper.
It’s not gonna do harm if your kids in it for like 15-20 mins a day. Or once or twice a week.
We had them growing up till 2002. (Then they got banned) none of us took long to walk or had leg issues. :woman_shrugging:t2: idk look into it more if you’re worried. But your mil shouldn’t be telling you how to raise your child when she has her own kids

1 Like

My 3rd baby was in one around that time. She’s also a big, strong baby. Always was pretty big. So she wasn’t wobbly or anything & she did fine. She’s developing just fine & she’s about to be 1. So I think it really depends on the baby.

I always thought walkers with wheels are banned because kids were falling down stairs in them. That’s why they went to excersaucers.

5 Likes

My daughter was about 6 months and sitting in one and kinda just pushed her around in it with a small pillow behind her(extra space) or we kept tons of random kitchen utensils and toys on or for her to play with

Well your the mother

2 Likes

Jumpers are actually more muscle building than walkers. Mine was in at 4 months as her pediatrician said it does not cause anything for bow leg and builds muscles by doing “squats” basically but walker can cause bow legs

I didn’t have a walker for my daughter. She didn’t even crawl much except to get to something to hold on to to walk. She started walking 9 days before she turned 9 months old, than the race was on. Lol

Short 15 min periods. As long as babe can sit up with little to no assistance. It effects their hip development.

All 4 of my kids used walkers at a young age and they turned out just fine.

2 Likes

Your baby, your rules.

4 Likes

They can encourage tip toe walking…my son never had one! Was walking by 11 months

Yes they are fine… the reason they were banned is because of the danger of them falling down stairs. If there is no chance for that… and you are not keeping them in for hours… then they can be great to get baby a different view of the world… exersaucers and bouncers use the same position they just don’t have wheels…

3 Likes

Just tell her “Thank you for your advice! Let me think about that and ask my Pediatrician”. End of subject. Never ever back down… this is your baby…not hers. Been there.

It’s going to effect their motor skills later. Child has to learn himself how to support own body. In general, it’s not good.

I dont let my own mother tell me whats up Lol so my mother-inlaw :joy::rofl: yeah ok Lol

1 Like

From my understanding they were banned because there weren’t enough safety features (I.e. babies could walk it and fall down the stairs)
you know your baby best

I put my first son in one at 3 months and he was walking at 7 months so…

2 Likes

Yes I dnt knw how did she pass the information to you maybe in anger… don’t tk the anger in consideration…but she is right let baby mk his/her effort its better… baby will walk on its own is better

What rubbish walkers are only banned in some places but have been used for years walker’s are fine and help kids learn, your the mother you make the decision not her, you want one for your child then use one

5 Likes

She would really be appalled by a Johnny Jumper. If you haven’t heard if it you should check into it. My kids loved it.

3 Likes

Walkers are only dangerous of you have stairs. She needs to butt out. You’re child, not hers

Tell her to mind her own business!!!

6 Likes

What! Lmfao my kids used jumpers and walkers… they will let you know if they don’t like it

My daughter had a walker but she never used it like a walker she mainly just used hers as a chair that she could see outside she loved looking outside

Oh my gosh. We put my three month old cousin in a walker and I swear to you this kid is so strong if you stand her up and hold her hands she walks to you🤣

1 Like

I used them. But only for 30 mins to an hour…they both were 1 year old. And their fine…mother in laws can be a super pain. Your baby you choose not her.

2 Likes

Untill they can sit unassisted they should not be in a walker. Period. If he can sit unassisted he is fine.

2 Likes

I’d tell her to mind her business. Isnt her child

5 Likes

Are you going to put your child in the waller and leave them alone? If not no danger. Simple.

1 Like

So apparently Canada banned baby walkers because or… negligent parents :woman_facepalming:t2:

If there feet can’t reach the floor, they are to little to put in one…and like everyone else said it can cause issues with their development. I don’t think it will cause issues if they are in it for a short period of time but I wouldn’t leave them in it all day or let them sleep in it…but you are MOM and not your MIL so whatever you feel is good for your baby is what goes…it’s YOUR baby!! Good luck :blue_heart:

1 Like

My granddaughter been going in a walker since she was 4 months

1 Like

Make sure baby is in safe surroundings: can pull anything down, fall down. And make sure that their entire foot touches the floor, and not just their tippy toes. That is a developmental hinderence. But same thing goes for standing bouncers. Etc. And no longer than 15 minutes at a time at this age. Not good for their hips.

Im a child care worker and like anything “over use” is alwats an issue, not use.
Many walkers are made for 5 months up and there are little similar jumper things that can be used from 3 months onwards.
Every child is so different, I’ve had babies at 2 months that can sit in them with some padding and other babies that couldn’t do it at 6 or 7 months.
Obviously you know where your child is at developmently and visually you can see if your child is enjoying the experience or struggling.
It can be tiring for a baby, so just watch out for signs of tiredness, (which again you will see yourself) and bobs your uncle.
Remember you’ve got muma instincts for a reason :two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

I put mine in a walker and bouncer. May not walk yet but he loves it. The bouncer it helps strengthen his legs.

2 Likes

Girl, use your maternal instinct and do what you think is best for your children! Your son is yours not hers, tell her to keep her mouth shut :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

They said walkers can affect their hips but in all honesty all mine spent loads of time in their walkers they loved them. My eldest is almost 15 and my youngest us turning 1 on 4th of June and none of them had any issues with hips or anything else.

1 Like

I preferred the Jolly Jumper. It let the baby bounce and strengthen the muscles
The best part too in the
bouncer is you know where baby is and hasn’t fallen down steps or tipped over.

2 Likes

No problem witj that, my boys were in walkers and they are fine. Them being in walkers give you a little more freedom as well🙃

1 Like

Baby walkers are safe to use I did use one with both of mine
As long at they arent kept in one for long periods of time so only like 20-30 min max a day then it’s fine xx

They’re safe to use but not for extended periods of time or else they wouldn’t make them anymore :tipping_hand_woman:

My girls were using a walker by that time with support of course and they both turned out just fine. You know what is best for your baby and would never do anything to harm your sweet baby!

1 Like

If they’re sitting and can support themselves then yes they’re fine to use but not for long periods

Remind her WHOSE child he is :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I had 3 boys & they had no problem

5 Likes

My son has loved his since he was 3 months old, he’s now 7 months old

All my kids loved their walkers. They scooted around safely in them. Played on the trays and even got fed in them sometimes. They are dangerous if you have stairs they can fall down. We never used it upstairs. It was just a kitchen and living room thing so I could get housework done. We used a playpen too!! Even put a puppy in it with our older baby😂one time!!

2 Likes

Not way is it bad, it helps them get their balance and strengthen their legs

2 Likes

My son is 6 months now. His 16 year old sister got him to like standing (supported) at 4 months. He never has really liked belly time because was born with a bilateral hernia, we still trying to get use to belly time. But at 5 months I was putting my son in his walker on occasions supported as well. He enjoyed it. It wasn’t for long times. And I’ve never ever heard it was bad for development. My son is in pt and ot due to being born early and underweight and is a little behind on things. They know he was and never said anything was wrong with it.
Also I’m sorry but it’s your child as well!!! But I’m in us as well so I can’t really say for Canada but not banned here

1 Like

Tell her she raised her kids. Now let you raise yours.

11 Likes

So you can put them in the same item with no wheels … it’s something about wheels that they banned

Idk about walkers. Didnt use them but they are illegal in canada due to kids falling down the stairs.

All 3 of my kids turned out fine.

3 Likes

Yes they’re illegal in Canada because they were falling down the stairs not because of developmental issues.

7 Likes

They can cause hip issues. Our doctor said 20 minutes at a time a couple times a day. Just don’t be one of those parents who leaves them in it constantly and you’re fine

They’re illegal in Canada because there were injuries due to not being supervised properly and the babies were falling down the stairs. Absolutely zero to do with development. We have all kinds of walker type things without the wheels. They’ve been banned since the 90s here.

1 Like

Not really anyone’s business. Mumma knows best.

3 Likes

My health visitor told me the same thing because the walkers can cause development issues by walking

2 Likes

My lil one was fine, and was walking by 9 momths. It’s all about the individual child’s progress :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Illegal in Canada yes. But that’s cause parents weren’t watching Thier kids in them and they were falling downstairs. My son used one and he was just fine.

2 Likes

My Daughter was put in one soon she started to stand on her feet, on my lap, about 3-4 months, and she is fine, she is now in her 40’s, And she had No problem walking she was walking by she was 12 months 3 days before her first birthday she did 4 steps on her own.bless her x

Inw a s doing it at 3 months put a towel in to help support she mil can get over her sel

Not safe for babies. They cause hip problems, can cause delay in walking development and the AAP has been trying to get them banned in the US for a while now but haven’t succeeded yet.

1 Like

I have 4 kids who all used a walker around that age. Just like any other baby product it needs to be used with supervision :roll_eyes: so they don’t do things like roll down a flight of steps. Also I never used mine for hours at a time. It was just to pop them in there to change things up throughout the day or if I was cooking and needed them occupied without being held. Jeeesh people are going to scare you into not using anything.

4 Likes

I would wait on walker untill there walking …but like a exersaucer with toys baby has one at target and my 7 month old loves it she is to short but I just limit her time in it

1 Like

I’ve read that but I turned out ok, pretty much everyone I know were put in baby walkers including my 2 daughters lol you’re the mother, it’s your say and yours only! :100: (and of course the father but us mamas know we always make the decisions) :wink::smile:

2 Likes