My mother in law got mad I put my baby in a walker: advice?

Baby’s body is still to fragile that’s why! Blessings

They’re illegal in Canada, but I still bought one. It’s just that there were injuries due to falling down stairs somehow. So they were banned.
But I used one in the early 2000s for my girl.
She’s just fine. Would motor across my basement having the time of her life

1 Like

Not a problem if used with cation .make sure baby is well supported and not in it for hours all 3 of mine had on including my daughter who is 51yrs old now and was born with " clicking hips" dislocated hips from birth.

1 Like

I was in a baby walker at 6 months and the only reason I walk funny is cause I broke my hip in high school cheerleading and I had 3 kids when I haven’t gotten over 100 pounds my whole life… until after my third🥴

1 Like

Yes they are safe at 6 months. Just don’t use it near stairs.

1 Like

Yep walkers are terrible
My kids never had one
The walker teaches the child to push with the chest rather than to walk!

They have play centers that do not let them walk, get one of those. My kids did walkers and they are fine. It is all a matter of preference. Just do you. No Stairs!!!

2 Likes

It can cause hip displacia in kids. If you have it high enough that they can’t touch the ground it should be alright

it’s bad for they’re hips and all.
BUT that being said. you’re not ousting the child in it for hours on end.10 min here. 10 min there.
it’s just like jolly jumpers, or excersaucers

3 Likes

I was told by my daughter’s pt and ot that they are not good. That being said, it’s your baby, so it’s your choice. I put my older 3 in one, not my youngest.

1 Like

All of mine had walkers. Used around the same age of 6 months. They all had jumper ones too. The only thing that ever happened while right there… was with my 5th child the jumper fell over while she was in it and had her pinned for 2 seconds under it. I was mad. I never had one do that before. Just stuck to the walker after that.

2 Likes

I have 5 all used a walker at 6 months and walk and legs totally fine

1 Like

That’s BS, my kids walked before they were 12 months. I put them in a walker at 4 months with blankets around them to support their back. Their Dr said it was fine for 20 mins at a time.

3 Likes

I mean technically she’s right. Most doctors will tell you that. Walkers in general are bad for babies… but your kid your choice. It’s not abuse or neglect so do you

I put my son in one of those excersaucers at 4mos old…he could could hold his head up and he loved it…and this 20yrs ago…he’s perfectly fine

1 Like

I never had any trouble with my kids in fact what it did was made them lift the walker and walked with it balancing them in between… no problems. Course that was back in the seventies, these fancy walkers maybe different

2 Likes

They’re banned in Canada due to children going down stairs in them not due to age lol

6 Likes

Jorja Rose who does this sound like AHAH too accurate

1 Like

Tell her to mind her own business. Giving advice is fine but to tell you straight out like that is down right rude.

No they aren’t good. They do more harm than good. BUT it’s your baby.

1 Like

As long as baby’s feet reach the floor (if not you can put a pillow or something under their feet) short amount of times in the walker is fine but def don’t want them in it all the time or for super long durations

My mom had mentioned that to me as well, she said the reason they are banned from canada is because of all the “ accidents of babies falling down stairs while in the walkers “

3 Likes

You mother in law is wrong.

They are banned in Canada period… it’s not age specific.

Just make sure stairs are not accessible and keep baby in for short periods of time at first

1 Like

Yes they can go in walkers, bouncers, jumpers whatever you want to put your child in. Tell MIL to my the business that pays her.

1 Like

Never used them for mine but if I remember they were thought to be dangerous because the baby could touch things or tip them over and get hurt. They changed the design over the years making them more stable.

My baby was delayed in crawling and walking. Dr said it was because of the walker I had her in.

2 Likes

My wife was flirting with another man. until she vanished away, I was desperate to get her back, I wasted so much time and money trying to get my wife back, I tried almost all possibilities to have her back and nothing worked. I became lonely. To make it short, I found a spell caster, called Warlock spells temple I saw the good testimonies about his wonderful work and after reading the Testimonials, I decided I had to try and give it one last try and After the spells, a miracle happened, my wife came home. It was awesome, anyone who needs help, should contact Warlock spells temple on WhatsApp+19713760578 on his Facebook page
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

https://www.facebook.com/Warlock-spell-temple-103728702317383/☝️☝️☝️

4 Likes

Sit-in, wheeled Baby walkers are banned in Canada PERIOD. Not because of age at all; but the various dangers they pose … rolling down stairs, reaching things they shouldn’t, etc.

I still have my oldest son’s after 28 years. At the time we were permitted to bring them from the U.S, as they were already banned from sales, not use, in Canada.

1 Like

They are said to be a fall hazard around stairs. Also they are said to cause delays in walking.

1 Like

I don’t know the age to use baby walkers! but your mother in law is not an expert or a doctor so seek some real advice and help. I have never put my kids in any walkers I think its more beneficial for kids to go from crawling to standing up and walking. at the end of the day its your baby and I know you will choose best

I put my son in a walker when he was a few months old with a blanket around him to keep him stable. He loved sitting up looking around. It didn’t harm him any. He was walking a few days before he turn 9 months old.

2 Likes

Heck I had put my 3 month old in a walker and she was walking on her own by 10 months

1 Like

Wow talk about government overreach in Canada lol. Tell your mother in law to mind her own business.

5 Likes

Causes hip displasia

2 Likes

Did Canadian children get hurt? Did their parents not tie a rope to keep them from flying off the porch? Oh that was just parents from my childhood.:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Honestly I only used a walked a few times but mostly because I never had hard floors threw the house just in the kitchen and what not and didn’t want baby in the kitchen rolling around lol normally if we are in the kitchen I’m cooking lol but I did do those jungle baby bouncers because I could look away and baby wasn’t getting into cabinet ect three kids and honestly it’s your choice that being said just do not leave baby unattended in those at all but if your right their I see no issue and house is baby proof

All three of my kids were in a walker from time to time as soon as 4 months old after they were sitting up on their own. They were never delayed in development.

I put my kid in one and put pillows under his legs and butt and blankets or towels around him to fill in gaps so he wasn’t floppy. He wanted to watch me cook or clean but didn’t like the high chair (boring) and he didn’t like the floor (couldn’t be nosey)…he liked being held but preferred watching me over watching what I was doing.

You are the mother, she can only offer advice tell her to keep her unwanted opinions to herself. Unless you child is in danger She has no right to comment.
They may be banned in some countries but are not everywhere.

In my family, we don’t like to use them either. Not because of the danger that it brings them but because their body is getting it’s shape and we think their legs will be a lil more spread out then if they don’t use them and learn to walk normally. But the baby is yours. Not your mom’s. She already got her chance to raise you. Now you have a chance to raise YOUR child. So my opinion is if you’re comfortable with your kid using a walker, do it and don’t mind what anyone says.

2 Likes

All my kids used a walker supervised and they were all early walkers. Tell your mother in law to mind her business . You should never allow someone else to tell you how to raise your kids. If you allow that now it will always continue. Canada banned them because parents weren’t supervising and kids have tipped over or fell down the stairs.

2 Likes

I like the bouncers saucers but I think walkers can kind of inhibit them learning to walk

1 Like

Personally no they should not be in any type of baby contraption.
It is bad for their hips and development.

4 Likes

Mom of four- grandma of 3-they all used walkers or activity stations. Three are adults and the last one is 15. I think as long as you aren’t just leaving them in one for hours on end, it’s fine. BUT as a grandma I don’t get to dictate my opinions on how my grands are raised. I just get to give them cake for breakfast because I am not their parents and I can just be fun.

4 Likes

My son (20) daughter (10) both used walkers and loved them. Both were walking by 9 months.

There banned due to possible delays in walking and the danger of kids getting hurt in various ways

1 Like

there banned because parents dont watch their kids in them, some babies fell down stairs while being in a walker. If you watch your kid then they should be fine to use it,

7 Likes

It is your child do what you want. Our OT and PT said absolutely not and i never use one for my kids. If you are concerned ask your doctor

2 Likes

Just tell
Her to
Go home amd mind her business! That simple!

5 Likes

We didn’t have a walker for our second baby- our first baby was born with a shoulder distócica and didn’t move her arm- instead of learning how to crawl we had her learn how to walk.

But you’re the mama so whatever you says goes!

2 Likes

Used a walker with 3 kids… it’s the amount of time in it

I used a walker with my 3 children and also with the grand children.The reason they were banned was because some mothers put their in them but did watch them and of coursed things happened ,falls down stairs,IWK uses them and child got burned as candles that were burning .REASONS like that were why some did not. like them

4 Likes

Lmfao with all due respect, fuck your mother in law. I happen to know that MY mother in law did some very questionable things with her babes when they were young. Do you love your little? Are you doing everything you can to provide them a happy home? Then you’re good. Fuck what anyone else says.

if you are concerned the one you have was banned, google it, Some walkers, usually the ones back from the 60’s & 70’s were easy to tip over, My babies still were in them, but we watched them & it wasn’t a all day thing. Again, google the one you have. My kids loved them

We have a preemie who is almost one and we have used a walker with him since he was about 5/6 months old. He skipped crawling and tries his hardest to walk. As long as you watch your baby, you are fine. It’s not like you will keep the baby in there all day. With our little one we use it as a 10 min relief, he likes being held all day, so him in the walker gives us a few mins of resting. It’s YOUR child not your mother in laws, she can have her opinions but at the end of the day it’s how YOU choose to raise your child. That’s another thing I let people know, yes you can voice your opinions but at the end of the day it’s my decision on what I do for my child.

1 Like

Walkers were not banned because the cause developmental problems geez they were banned because irresponsible parenting and the kids would say fall down stairs or something of that nature because they were not supervised. Be right there and don’t turn your back, never use a walker around stairs and you should be good, YOU know whats best for your child :wink: good luck

9 Likes

My girl is showing all signs of being an early walker, she also uses a walker. She does a lot of tummy time as well. Her favorite thing to do is a pyramid with her body. Baby is trying to figure out how to stand. She’s done amazing for a child born with hip dysplasia. She’s done amazing for being set back. I think it’s however someone feels about it. If you like them . I think it only becomes a problem when someone leaves a baby in there all day long.

Our doctor told me it is fine to put them in it but you have to provide tummy time often as well, as they really don’t get much out of using the walker. I left my daughter in hers for short periods of time while.i cleaned up or something. She walked by 1 year

Your child your rules! Not sure how a putting your child in a walker would make her fuss but who cares. If you didn’t endanger your child then forget what she said

1 Like

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobz302.netlify.app/

Well 6mo is a li early for a walker but if you got padding around them to help hold the baby up from falling over its fine. Tell " karen" to mind her own business.

2 Likes

Your kids your rules . Sounds like your mother in law should chill ? :snowflake:

4 Likes

Its your baby do what you want.

In MY experience walkers can delay actual walking due to the babies having a false sense of support in them so it takes longer for them to learn to actually walk usually.

Id you use one i suggest having it low enough to where if they stand they actually come out of the seat about 1/4 inch

I myself had all three of my kids in a walker, but I went with my son when he took my grandbaby to the Dr and his Dr said not to use a walker that it makes kids lazy and ECT ,I never heard of that in my life

Ok so…my oldest kiddo was in physical therapy as a baby due to a birth injury.
His PT told me that yes, walkers tend to be bad for development simply because the movements used to operate a walker are different than the ones used to actually walk. Because they’re mostly sitting and using their feet to push the walker from a sitting position.
She recommended a stationary exersaucer instead. Which we used with both of our kids.
And lots of time outside of it to play freely.
We did use a walker with the oldest around 10ish months. We kept the height setting low so he was actually standing and walking but using the walker to hold on to for balance.

A lot of people don’t really know that…I don’t feel like it’s particularly common knowledge.

1 Like

As long as they get plenty of time out of the walker and on the floor then it won’t affect their development. My kids loved jumperoos at 3 months old (they were already sitting unassisted), people say those hinder development too but both were crawling by 6 months and walking by 9 months. however push walkers are better for actually learning to walk.

Used a walker with my 3 kids all sat in it about 4 months old

For one it’s your child tell her to mind her business . Second wtf all my kids were in walkers plus grand babies lol

If you are with them, it gives them a little freedom. You don’t have to make them live in one. One thing I do know, make sure your baby learns to crawl. It is very important.

Using a walker is absolutely safe as long as you’re not leaving your child in there for more than 30 mins at a time. It has been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN that the bones in the legs will develop incorrectly if these contraptions are used as babysitters.

My twins used walkers daily. We did other things too so they werent always in them but I dont think they were delayed at all. They were both walking by a year old.

1 Like

They can definitely cause their hips to become displaced if they’re in there for long periods of time. But half an hour or less here or there I don’t see a problem with.

1 Like

My last one used a Walker (the others used stationery exersaucers) she literally was walking at a little over 8 months. The other two were walking at 10 to 11 months. It never caused any problems for her.

They were only banned it Canada cause someone left their door open and their child went out the door and down the stairs in an apartment building. I fully believe if they are used by a parent that actually keeps an eye on their child while using it it is safe. I had one for my daughter and she never got hurt in it she’s now 28. I’m Canadian

3 Likes

Walker’s are safe as long as they are supervised. The entertainment centers that don’t roll may be safer. Both of my children are 45 and 42. They were put in Walkers

She is right but every child is different tho, if you leave them in their for long periods of time it can at a young age ,I put my son in at 7 months , but the others at 10/11 months, no issues. And my oldest is 21 years old youngest 2

Walkers can be bad for leg development (causes incorrect leg development, bowed legs ect) and milestones (won’t want to walk on their own) and can tip and cause injury. We always used walkers anyways with our three kids and they’re 6, 7, and 8 now with no problems. We put them in starting around 5 months. My youngest happened to walk a little late (14 months) but I doubt it was the walker. The others were walking fully before their first birthday. All their legs are fine. I wouldn’t keep the child in there for hours at a time or anything. Moderation is probably key.

My son used a walker but not all the time.

Oui. As long as baby is able to hold up head and control head movements you are fine. Just don’t leave unattended which I assume you most likely know this already.

I personally have always thought walkers were good for babies, it helps strengthen their muscles and helps them learn to walk.

My son’s great grandfather bought him a walker when he was just 3 months old. My son started walking by himself at 9 months. Note: my son is tall af and was the right size for a walker at 3 months old Nothing wrong with a walker. Its not like the kids gonna be in it 24/7

My almost 10 month. Was in a walker. At 5 months. Did tummy time on his own at 6/7 months started crawling. And he is doing fine. And smart. He’s now started to stand on his own. If she worried on how his walking will be. Understand I was told the same. But he’s doing fine.

I always heard they were bad so I didn’t buy them but for older girls, someone gave me one. They are all fine either way they all learned to walk lol some more by holding on to things

11-14 years ago when my kids were babies. These were the best thing. Got my kids walking fast. But like others it was only for awhile at a time. Now days they say they can cause leg and hip issues. So I can’t honestly say. But for your minds peace. I used one and all my kids are fine.

1 Like

Yes, they’re bad. It causes several issues with the baby’s hips.

1 Like

Both my boys were in a walker and they enjoyed them it helps strengthen their legs so they can learn to walk without hurting their feet and legs

4 Likes

It’s your baby!! My son sat it in a walker at that age. He walked at 9 months. There’s nothing wrong with him to date and he’s 32. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

They are banned in Canada, the main concern is head injuries from falling down stairs in them.

5 Likes

Depends on the child tbh my first son used one no problem and walked about 2 weeks after his first birthday my second son used one but he is a little late walker he is currently holding on to things and trying to walk by himself but has not independently took steps he does it from couch to couch… honestly depends on the child but I don’t think my second son has any issues from the walker just a late walker which is also normal…. Don’t overuse the walker either like leave them all day I think that’s when it gets to be an issue.

1 Like

She is right. Walkers are bad for development

1 Like

All my kids used walkers 9,5,5, & 2. My 9 year old was walking by 10 1/2 months old. My 5yr old twins were preemies and very delayed. Once we started using the walkers then they started walking along furniture shortly after. The physical therapist was okay with them being in the walkers. My 2 yr didn’t walk til he almost 14 months old but that’s because he didn’t want too, big brother would carry him everywhere. Lol
They would spend like 10-15 minutes in it then I would take them out. None of them have any hip or leg issues.

2 Likes

Walkers have been around for ever yes they can damage baby legs its a percentage it affects that is why they were not pulled off the shelves

My doctor told me they don’t do any good for your baby because it supposedly hinders balance when they learn to walk. I’ve never lived anywhere that had space big enough for baby to use one Sobieski never had one. But she shouldn’t be getting mad at you and demanding anything. I remember my brothers used them and I don’t remember them having any issues walking. I have 6 living and 2 angels. I never used a walker and all my kids still walked at different times. The earliest I think was 6-7 months with my 5th. But my 4th baby wouldn’t walk until she was 18 months. She would walk on her knees. Doctor told me that was normal. So all little ones are different. I can’t see a walker being that bad. She needs to calm down. And let you talk to your pediatrician.

If baby has great head control and is supervised, I don’t see a problem with it. Of course they cannot be in there for too long but a little bit a day is not bad.

My son was born premature he had to go through some occupational therapy physical therapy but they never once said don’t put him in that Walker.
He’s 7 years old now it never affected him. I think the difference is some people put their children in these things and they just leave them all day long so they don’t have to deal with them yeah don’t do that but if you want to sit them in there for an hour while you watch a TV show and let them play I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. That’s just my personal opinion. Do make sure that their legs have the room to actually stretch out so that it’s not putting unwanted pressure where it doesn’t need to be. Most walkers are adjustable. And then if you have any other concerns just ask the pediatrician ask your child’s doctor hey is this okay to put my child in here for x amount of time.

However a side of that this is my house and that is my child and nobody’s going to come up in here telling me don’t do this don’t do that when it comes to nitpicky things like that that’s overstepping boundaries.

2 Likes

I didn’t have walkers for my kids, I had a Jonny jumper that latched to the top of the frame in my doorway and they could bounce around with it, I had an one of those things like a walker only it didn’t have wheels, it was stationary, it had toys and they can set and play in it… It’s been many moons ago, I had 4 girls and my youngest is 16.

2 Likes

All of kids used walkers, all walked between 9-12 months… most are teens now and all are fine

5 Likes

My kids all were in walkers. She most likely got upset because she’s heard horror stories of how kids get hurt. As long as your baby can’t pull anything like a cord that would cause something to fall upon him/,her, you’ve got stairs blocked off and you watch your child closely there’s no reason you can’t use one.

Both my kids used walkers and they are both fine to this day 31 years later.

1 Like