My mother in law said my child is "slower" than most because he is breastfed: Thoughts?

My daughter NEVERRR held any of her bottles but held her sippy cups when I transferred her to them at 9 months and she was also breastfeed

My baby is 19 months old (with developmental delays) and I still hold his bottle because I WANT TO. He CAN hold it himself, but I don’t make him. And I don’t care about anyone’s opinions on the issue. Your baby is not slow. He will do everything in his time when he is ready. He never has to hold a bottle so for two hours one day he isn’t going to magically be perfect at it. :blue_heart:

1 Like

Ye when u said mil I stopped listening because nothing good comes from that lol remember grain of salt lol

3 Likes

I always tell my mother in law she shouldn’t talk shit because I live with her creation and he needs a little work lmao

Back in the 1800s we were drinking titty milk off any titty offered. Mom titty, slave titty, nursemaid.

Breast milk is more nutritional which benefits their brain development. Children will naturally start reaching and grasping as they are placed near things. Grasping @ fingers are first and most common and instinctive reflex. I love watching my grandchildren discovering their hands and working them to the mouth. It happens gradually and as they become more familiar they branch out. No child follows the guidelines to a T but it is a way to monitor their progress. Don’t be bullied and question your mothering. If we thrived despite our mothers drinking and smoking while in utero I don’t think you have anything to worry about. You are doing fine.

1 Like

I breastfed for 4 years. Your mother in law needs to shut up

2 Likes

That’s ridiculous :rofl: and pretty rude

My grownup kids couldn’t figure out a bottle with boiled water so I quit when the Clinic told me not to bother since I fully breastfed and they’re fine…no delays, have bachelors and masters degrees…don’t worry about it, time will prove her wrong but I wouldn’t have an argument with her about it either…just keep doing what you’re doing.

I exclusively pumped for almost a year for my daughter…she refused to hold the bottle even though she knew how and was able to grab toys. Your mil is rude and I would just keep doing what you are doing mama. There are already a million other things to worry about without adding that on top of it.

1 Like

She has a screw loss breast feeding doesn’t make them slow

1 Like

Granny wants you to stop breastfeeding so she can take the baby more. The solution is to not speak to granny anymore.

4 Likes

Bless her heart. Ignore her this is your baby, maybe spend less time with her.

They don’t hold a bottle because they have no need to , when breast feed . My son was the same . But could walk at nine months . First of all three of my children . Don’t mean anything . Don’t worry mom .

Well I breast fed my son. He walked at 8 months and spoke in full sentences at 18 months, he was given an I Q test in elementary school & tested at 145, that’s really high!

She’s a jealous old hag!! And just ignorant & mean on top of it!! To think she had the audacity to call her own grandson “slow”?!?
The only slow thing she’d see out of me would be the next visit!!

Ignore what she says but be careful having your child around that the negativity is only going to grow you may want to stop put a stop to it now

Tell her to sit on it .Babies that are breast feeð are healthier than bottle babys. That develop just the same on holding things and every thing else. Maybe she should have tried it.

4 Likes

Well that’s a load of crap! Lol

1 Like

That’s ridiculous! Iv never heard anyone say that before. Breastfeeding doesnt make a baby slower. My daughter is 7 months been fed by breast since she was born. Jus takes practice holding there own cups nothing slow about it.every child is different. They learn at there own pace.

3 Likes

she didnt say he was slow because you breastfed… sounds like she said he was slow because he wouldnt hold his toy or bottle for her… but no i do not agree with her

I breastfed my son for 16.5 months and he’s always been developmentally ahead. She sounds insanely ignorant.

MIL just an a$$ ignore her

1 Like

I would have kicked her out my house! Bye FELICIA!!!

Technically and generally speaking, breastfed babies have higher iqs. Don’t @ me. Look it up yourself

3 Likes

my thoughts are, your mother in law is an idiot.

3 Likes

Both my children were breastfed and met every developmental milestone either ahead of or right on time. Tell her to fuck off and idk, maybe not be such a bitch to her grandchild. Not to mention in several studies breastfed babies had higher IQs than babies who were not breastfed.

Theres no proof breast feeding causes advancements or deficits in children

2 Likes

I would be very careful as he gets older. If she says things about him being slow to him or in front of him it would be bad for him.

4 Likes

Sounds like your MIL was bottle fed :roll_eyes: Breastfeeding helps brain development

1 Like

My daughter is advanced for her age and is breastfed. All baby’s grow at their own rate, it’s not a race on how they develop. As long as the baby is fed and getting the proper nutrients it shouldn’t matter

2 Likes

She’s a fucking idiot cut her off :fu:t2:

Not that is just plain stupid on her part. You do you .

2 Likes

Breast fed babies are not slow and may be more content as they are held while nursing

4 Likes

Nonsense. Load of crap

People in my country say the other way. They said that my baby is smart because she’s breastfed.

1 Like

The only way she ,is to see him.is in pict

She needs to stop putting him down.
Educate yourself woman and leave my son alone is what I would say!!!
The bloody cheek of it!!!

Ignore her stop stressing. If docs happy ignore idiot

My babes is strictly breastfed and hes developing and growing rapidly but all children are different I would tell her that if she doesnt like the way your child is being parented then she can not see him until she decides to let you be the parent and decide what’s best for him and shes going to stop calling your baby down :woman_shrugging: the audacity :unamused: I’d blow a fuse but that’s just me

Absolutely not. What a wretch she is.

1 Like

Do you ladies know that formula has been found to have fillers such as plastic in it?
It’s a processed food made for babies. Have you ever tried to take your protein shake mix and put it in hot water or coffee? I did this once thinking it was vanilla flavored. Why not? Well the why not is because it cant be liquefied. It literally turned into melted plastic.
Try this with babies formula. Maybe not all will do this but I bet some will.
Then tell this Mother in law that shes exactly what I said, a wretch. Also quite idiotic. Nothing is more better for our babies than the natural milk our bodies supply to them.

2 Likes

I’ve been told that about mine as well and my response was he has no need to hold one since they are attached to me. All 5 of mine fed from the breast and not the bottle and they all are very intelligent and in no way behind on anything. Only uninformed people make comments like this.

2 Likes

Tell your MIL to eat a dick

3 Likes

Just laugh when she ever says that. And NO neither are connected. Breastfeeding or whether the child is slow.

Weird bitch. Lol sorry but I have 3 babies and 3 different times had weird bitches try and discourage me for whatever reason I may NEVER KNOW! JUST KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOING THE BEST THING YOU CAN FOR YOUR BABY AND TELL HER THAT IF SHE DON’T LIKE IT, SHE CAN STAY TF AWAY!

How old is your baby

1 Like

Think your MIL is “slower” LMFAO

9 Likes

Every child develops differently!

Nothing to do with if the child is breast fed or bottle fed?!

3 Likes

How about your MIL butt out and mind her own business. You do what’s comfortable for you and you only.
That kind of information is deflating for you and you end up doubting your work.

1 Like

my breastfed baby was more advanced in certain things then my formula fed baby :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Nope, never heard that one before… my son was breast fed for over 2 years- very smart, 99th percentile in everything. All kids growth rates differ- baby happy , you’re happy, don’t sweat the rest!

1 Like

What an idiot. :joy: :joy: No honey.

3 Likes

that is the biggest bunch of BS dont listen to her x

1 Like

Ok so all four of my children were breast and formula fed, except one he wouldn’t eat formula, and all of my kids are highly intelligent they are testing at grade levels exceeding their own, they are quick learners, this includes my 2nd son who wouldn’t take to breast feeding. So breastfeeding may not always be an option, people on here keep saying breast is best uts not always best for each child, so really a child being fed at all is best. They say breastfeeding helps a child not be so sickly that’s not necessarily true either my formula fed son never gets sick and the other three sometimes do more often than he does. Now as far as your MIL goes you know your child so dont pay her anumind. Tell her to keep her opinions to herself and next time she wants him to stay with her tell her no untill she can stop being so cruel to her own grandchild.

1 Like

No, never heard that one. It sounds like she should not be spending much time with baby if she’s going to be so negative.

3 Likes

Breast feed babies are faster and stronger. All babies develop at different times. I have two boys both were breast feed and one started talking and crawling at six months and my second is almost 2 and still barely talks. Just give them time and let them blossom at there own pace. For anyone who has the time and right situation for it breastfeeding is the healthiest option

1 Like

Your mother in law is slower because she’s ignorant :unamused:

5 Likes

Your mother n law is MEAN.

2 Likes

Your Mother in law is a moron don’t listen to her

6 Likes

She a hater boo don’t let her uneducated words make you feel any kind of way
She may have shame for not breastfeeding and is projecting onto you and your baby for having a good breastfeeding relationship
Shit I’d stop letting her see baby but that’s just me🤷🏿‍♀️

1 Like

All of us moms have moments that we need to ignore ignorance :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

She’s no pediatrician! She’s full of non sense!

1 Like

You may have this person in your life for a very, very long time, so don’t be nasty back to her.
Say, “I’ll give that all due consideration”. (Which in this case, the cosideration due is nothing!). Pick your battles, and this isn’t worth a big fight with family.

1 Like

Hahaha! Sounds like your mother-in-law is the slow one :laughing:

2 Likes

How old is the baby.

Sounds like your MIL is pretty ignorant.

1 Like

That’s ridiculous. Do not listen to her crap. Each child develops at their own pace. My child was breast fed for 6 months and then I started pumping because she started teething. All my nieces and nephews were formula fed and they are just fine. She needs to get off her high horse and stop bad mouthing your child.

2 Likes

Sounds like she needs to keep her opinion to herself. Your MIL needs to STFU.

What even. Why would a mother have anything negative to say about breastfeeding. She needs to mind her own business anyways.

Tell her that you never knew that she was breastfed.

3 Likes

Sounds like your mother in law is just trying to made you feel like crap

Tell your mother in law to mind her own business !

I’d limit the time she has with my child who she perceived as slow. I’d be slow in letting her interact with my child. and has any doctor told you this.

How old is your child?

It’s just nonsense and her wanting to be the primary caregiver instead of you. My MIL acted similar when mine was younger and would shame me for not pumping. Like, why would I when I’m home with baby all the time? I would just passively aggressively share articles showcasing the benefits of breatfeeding or mention how my doctor thinks it’s awesome.

Ignore the stupid comments from very stupid people… and maybe see her outside of your house. Maybe in a public restaurant she can behave like a grown up…

I ve always thought the complete opposite the bonding is so important .you are a good mum who gives her time too

2 Likes

It sounds like she is slow . a slow learner . there are many positives that make breast feeding highly desirable alternative to bottle feeding m after all the breast came before the bottle and is just what baby needs for antibodies and bonding with mon .however dont be too hard on gramma . carry on as you have been . feel confident . mostvof all enjoy that wee one they grow way to fast

She needs to get her facts straight! Breastfed babies are NOT slow! But the point is you’ve got to get her to butt out right now before it goes any further. She will make your life miserable. Hubby MUST intervene!

Seriously? Where did she get her information from? We have a one year old grandson who never crawled. Just started walking. Babies do things in their own time. That is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

Omg dont worry about what that woman says…
Good grief…no he just wants the boob. …is all the transaction from boob to bottle …doesnt make him slow these babies are healither and he just prefer the boob…natural…and on top of that shes NOT MOMMA!!! SORRY GMA

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard about BF babies. SCIENCE would support your choice to BF. BOTH of my children were BF and they’re both National Honor Society students at the top of their very large classes. You do you, mama. Don’t sweat your MIL who was obviously NOT BF. :joy:

4 Likes

Every child is different I have premie twins that at 11 months (9 months adjusted) started walking. Both were full breastfed. Both stayed in NICU girl 11 days boy 17 days. She took to the breast on the first try. It took him till about 11/12 weeks. In between feeding I also pumped. So they got both. He weaned himself off at 1 year. She currently still feeds. They are 20 months now. Both are on the smaller size weight wise but are pretty well advanced for their gestational age. It has nothing to do with being breastfed it has to do with each child individually.

2 Likes

The best thing you can do for your child if you are able and if they do not have digestive issues is to nurse them. I am sorry your MIL is ill-informed or has some other issues she needs to work out on her own. Is this the first time she has made a statement or judgement that led you to questioned her? If not be on guard and discuss this with your husband.

3 Likes

My sister in law said to my husband behind my back “Why are you letting her breastfeed? Your son is so tiny he needs to have formula to gain wait.” My son was a preemie, we spent two weeks in the NICU with him… Yes he’s smaller than most babies at two months but he’s gained 4 pounds in two months being exclusively breastfed. We gotta do whats best for our babies and ignore the haters :woman_shrugging:t3:

15 Likes

Every child goes at there own pace.i won’t worry about it to much. As long as you’re child has whatever it needs. You and child just fine. Don’t worry to much about others may say.

4 Likes
  1. All babies go at their own pace. 2. With that being said, children are not zoo/circus animals and probably didn’t feel attuned to need to do those things “for her amusement” 3. I had a MIL like this and it’s not good for the childs self confidence. :crazy_face::roll_eyes: my son was practicing with a fork and used it to eat his cheese… she said “that’s one way to do it” …he didn’t pick up a fork for months :sweat:

Nope, just MIL wanting to make you question your decision. Science has shown that breast-feeding is healthier for the baby and helps mother and baby bond (I’m sure you feel very close to your child). A healthy child will learn better than a not so healthy child. My guess in MIL is just jealous, because she chose to bottle feed her kids and “Since they turned out OK, you should too.”

1 Like

Let’s think about this. Which is better for your baby:

A. the food your body naturally makes to nourish the child that your body also made
vs
B something made in a factory as an imitation of what your body makes.

If it’s too hard for your MIL to figure out, it’s the one that’s naturally kept at the perfect temperature so it’s always ready the minute that baby’s hungry!

4 Likes

I breastfed all 3 of my children amd had no developmental issues. They are all grown healthy adults. My daughter even breastfed my grandson for 15 months and no issues with him. Breastfeeding is better than formula simce he is gettimg all the nutrients straight from you and it strengthens their immune system. Children all develope differently so you cant go by what she says. Im sure you’re pediatrician will tell you if there is a problem. Don’t worry keep doing what you feel is right for baby and you.

2 Likes

What a SNOT!!! OMG. That is ridiculous I’m sorry your MIL is one of “those”

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. Each kiddo learns at different paces. Has nothing to do with being breastfed or formula fed.

1 Like

Breastmilk is extremely healthy for a h child however i have noticed that many kids who are breast fed are slower when it comes to walking, holding a bottle and other objects because they are always on the breast but its not the same for every child.

My daughter has three children ages 5months two and five breast feed them all they are the smart healthy their normal happy babies

Your mother in-law should mind her own business and she is Very MEAN !

2 Likes

An overbearing, judgemental grandparent. Yep I’ve got some experience with one of those. Smile and nod while she’s there and roll your eyes at her nonsense when she leaves.

My grandson is breast feed, he will develop at his own pace. Don’t rush him because she wants you to. You know him better than anyone and trust yourself and his doctor. Ignore her negative attitude

You said it yourself the kid can hold things. She’s just being a twit. Probably uncomfortable with the fact that she’s now the grandma and not the mom. Don’t leave him with her alone anymore. I would also call her out any time she says something like that… Say “what are you hoping to gain by that comment? What purpose does it serve?” Most people can’t answer that honestly if they have other motives, they blow up and act like you hurt them.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the craziest things about breastfed babies but reality = 99% of the time there is no real connection. Breastmilk will make you as slow as cow’s milk. (Sarcasm, it won’t.) People who are anti-breastfeeding or " Breastfeeding tolerent" come up with those lies to guilt moms into not doing it in order to avoid uncomfortable and seemingly “unnecessary” “exposure.” Just like the “foods you cant eat when you breastfeed” chart. Its ridiculous the things people will say and spread that are lies about breastfeeding. There is SO MUCH misinformation on it. She is just a product of misinformation and the wide spread of unreal breastfeeding related “conditions.”

1 Like