My mother in law said my child is "slower" than most because he is breastfed: Thoughts?

About 15 yrs ago I knew a young mother who only Brest fed. She also kept those mittens on the baby hands until she was about 4 or 5 months old. Poor baby didn’t know she had hands. She is a perfectly normal very talented young lady. She it an artist in her own right. So, pump when you need to. Don’t be so quick to give it up. A mother’s instincts are usually good. But if you are really concerned about the baby’s development ask your doctor the next time you go.

1 Like

They are actually smarter when breastfed

2 Likes

Breast feeding is great but what does that have to do with your husband being a blessing?

1 Like

She just sounds meddlesome. It is a way to try to cause you to be insecure about your parenting. Ignore her.

1 Like

Best solution would be ask her why she’d say such a thing? Talk to her directly rather run for social media first, creates hard feelings so many problems in families. One on one like major adults.

I’d say that is an uninformed opinion. Total BS! Does she have any experience with BF herself?

Slower as in eating?? Or developmentally?

If anyone has had a mother in law say some stupid shit… yeah… yeah we all have.

Hopefully your husband got his smarts from his daddy😘

4 Likes

All babies are different. Breastfeeding has nothing to do with it!

I think you should just ignore your mother in law.

2 Likes

Your mother in law is full of it… ignore her

Absolutely ridiculous what is wrong with people!!!

She’s wrong… So many ways wrong

Hell no. That’s a ridiculous correlation.

ignore her just smile and say do you think so? and do what you do.

Who cares what she says?

No breastfeeding is so important. Don’t let people critize you. You are doing the right thing

i just cannot get over the fact that there are so many stupid people nowadays!

That is BULLSHIT !!! That has got nothing to do with breastfeeding

I think your mother in law is who is slow

Your MIL is trying to manipulate and control your household th through your son and fear. Let her know as grandma she can bend your rules but never break them, if she does her time with the children will be seriously limited and monitored.

She’s nuts, ignore her

Well that’s a bunch of BS, just keep doing what your doing and ignore this

1 Like

Tell her to mind her business…

Don’t ever leave your child with her again & you child is fine she’s ignorant as fuck Be sure to tell your spouse about this Sorry it happened to you

1 Like

That was a very stupid and nasty thing to say. Is she always like that? If something as stupid as that is said again, I suggest you not subject yourself or your child to this negativity and detach yourself from her!!! Personally, I would first tell her a few things about herself then leave!!!

Horse crap on a cracker.

My son was born on the same day as his cousin. So of course she’s always been ahead of him on every milestone and my husband is always joking (I hope :rage:) that he’s “behind.” But the thing is she has an older sibling and that tends to spur baby’s ahead, plus she’s a girl, and plus she’s not blood related to him (my husband’s stepsister’s daughter). Now my son’s starting to walk and I am super proud of him, but I know whenever I finally post a video of him walking someone’s going to be like “about time” and think that it’s a fault or flaw I created in my son that’s caused him to only start walking after he’s a year old. Which is the average time for walking.

I was told the same but I formula fed. I was also told she’d be overweight too and she isn’t. He’s not slow; babies do things on their own time.

6 Likes

I had 3 kids and breastfeed them all and never pumped. What a rude statement and assumption! People are so ignorant when it comes to “parenting advice” :woman_facepalming:t4:

6 Likes

Omgosh…just no…no. Keep breastfeeding that baby Momma and ignore the nonsense! Your baby is going to be running things when he’s older. Thank her for her pearls of wisdom and keep doing what you’re doing! :laughing:

3 Likes

My 13 month old has been exclusively breastfed her whole life, she’s had a total of three bottles ever. She’s considered advanced for her age.

2 Likes

Is she a professional OT? If not I wouldn’t be worrying about her opinion. If you’re not worried and you’ve been to all your health nurse visits and everything’s been ok there shouldn’t be a worry.

2 Likes

She can try handling my breast fed baby. She is 7.5 months, grabs everything in sight and already walks along furniture :tired_face:
Each baby is different. My oldest has a disability so can’t walk. However he did play with toys and grab things sooner than my youngest. Both breastfed.

1 Like

I wouldn’t leave my child with that person again
And theysay breast is best so wouldn’t it be the opposite?
Some people just have their mind set that breast feeding isnt as good as the facts say

6 Likes

MIL always have something to say. I always get comments from her about what my son should be doing. Just ignore it. Everyone develops differently. I’m the same way I exclusively feed my son. Hardly ever have to pump because we’re always together.

1 Like

My exclusively breastfed baby refused a bottle and would just wait for me to get home from work to nurse. She’s now 16 and an honors student, one of 3 sophomores to earn a 5 on the AP Stats exam in her school of 1900.

1 Like

My mother in law said my daughter couldn’t hear because she didn’t cry and she slept.

1 Like

How old is you son? I’ve never heard such a crock of crap in all of my life! Breastfeeding is actually VERY good for the development of a baby’s brain! Sounds like she’s the type of person who is either jealous of that special connection only you can have with your child or she’s just a really not nice person that is trying to make you doubt your parenting abilities!

1 Like

Tell her your baby is fine and you would appreciate that she dont speak negativity on your child

2 Likes

Maybe he cant handle a bottle because he doesnt understand how to use it?! That doesnt make him slow tf? Give anyone some thing they’ve never used or havent used often and of course they would need help :woman_facepalming:t2:

That is ridiculous. No its not true at all.

If she’s not a professional OT, I wouldn’t think twice about her words. You know your baby best, and if you have a concern, talk to their pediatrician. All kiddos develop at their own pace and I’m sure your little love is completely perfect.

Every child develops at his or her own pace! Do not worry at all about what she says!

Sounds like your “mother in-law is slow.

If I was you I’d grab that baby and tell her she doesn’t need to see him then that is a horrible statement and not true I have breast fed kids and they are all but slow so she obviously has no idea what she is talking about :smirk:

1 Like

That’s complete BULL! She probably said that because she never breastfed and it bothers her that she didn’t. I bf both of mine and they are both very intelligent!

All baby’s learn at their own pace. I have 4 and none of them were breastfed but they were all different ages at milestones.

ast feeding does not make a child slow. Some children listen and learn before they act. I hear Mother in laws say alot of odd things but think maybe they cant remember that far back so dont worry your baby is fine. The Adult may need some help.

Don’t worry be happy your baby is just fine

MIL, you can stop there … breathe … and forget everything she said to you.

2 Likes

Never heard such nonsense!

That’s it, I’m Mother-in-law shaming

I get told that all the time, but I formula feed (my son is ahead of his milestones actually)
No matter what you do someone is gonna have a reason to bitch honestly

That’s the most stupid thing I’ve heard ever! What a ugly women.

Your mother inlaw is a twit