My mother in law said my child is "slower" than most because he is breastfed: Thoughts?

Has anyone ever been told your baby I “slower” because he/she is breastfed? I exclusively breast-feed mainly from the breast because I am a stay at home mom and just haven’t had the need to actually pump he is always with me. Anyways my mother-in-law said that he is “slow” because he couldn’t hold a bottle or toy. Which he can do both he only spent 2 hours with her today (I pumped a bottle for him) I only left him so she could spend time with him. I was just curious if anyone else has anything like that before.

125 Likes

Anyone that calls a baby “slow” is just a messed up adult. Every baby develops at their own pace whether breastfed or bottle fed.

26 Likes

How old is he? Every child does things at a difference pace. My aunt has six kids and none of them are the same at all.

1 Like

Lmao your child will not be slow because he’s breastfed there is a million health benefits to breastfeeding that help the brain develop she’s just stupid

4 Likes

I’m curious how old baby is, but no, he isnt “slow” because he cant hold a bottle. My son was EBF as I was a stay at home mom and didnt hold any bottles until he had a sippy cup. He definitely isnt what I’d consider slow.

Also, all babies develop on their own time. I’d honestly distance myself from anyone that would say that about my baby.

4 Likes

Depends how old he is

1 Like

Maybe your mother in law in slow :woman_shrugging:t3: !!! Your baby is fine don’t listen to stupid people

8 Likes

She sounds really uneducated because breastfeeding is one of the best things you can do for your child and like everyone else said, every child hits milestones at different times.

10 Likes

Lol no

All children learn at a different pace.

Tell her to take her comments elsewhere

1 Like

All kids are different,she needs to learn comparisons only steal joy.

1 Like

Good grief. It’s not a race and has nothing to do with formula or boob lol. Tell her to stfu

2 Likes

Well every baby is different! But it would help to know how old his is… But it wouldn’t be because of breastfeeding… That’s dumb! Try more stimulation with him before and after he eats, but no delay because of breastfeeding!

1 Like

I would not leave your baby with her again!

4 Likes

Sounds like she’s the slow one of the bunch.

1 Like

No he isnt slow. But curious to how old he is? All babies are different. My little girl started holding a bottle at 6 months, only because we travel a lot due to my husband’s work. And instead of stopping when she was hungry I would prop the bottle up and she just got the hang of it.

1 Like

Ummmm she never breastfed before obviously and has no bond with her son. Also…she is not educated at all on breastfeeding! She also has never stopped to listen, observe, read, or research breastfeeding! You rock and don’t let her bother you!

I wouldn’t consider her opinion as she sounds uneducated.

1 Like

Deadset idiot lol :joy: sounds like a mother in law comment

5 Likes

Crazy and rude, completely untrue. Breastfed babies are not slow because they’re breastfed :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

What planet is your mother in law ,she is talking rubbish.I have four children two girls and two boys and I breastfed them all.They did everything on their own time holding rattles,crawling walking.:blush:

She sounds like an idiot.

Tell her the baby got it from her. What a dumb ass!!

My son was fed by the bottle and he never held it. He used it as snuggle time. He weaned himself off at 13 months :woman_shrugging: our parents weren’t taught much about breastfeeding. When I was born they were pushing formula, so it makes some sense that she would have a ln opinion like that.

Wow. Just wow. Studies show that breastfed babies are smarter, more social, more independent, and have fewer sick days than formula fed babies. Don’t listen to her, listen to your own instincts and if You’re concerned see your childs doctor. Otherwise, thank her for watching him and tell her your baby is just fine. You Go Momma!

2 Likes

Not at all… Breast is best. If anything bf babies are smarter. Mom of 6 here, youngest has a PHD.

2 Likes

That’s literally the stupidest thing I have EVER heard.

Tell her that there is this thing called Science, it’s a beautiful thing that will prove the exact opposite of her stupid ass opinion

I am a formula feeding mother and can 100% say breastfeeding has major benefits for health and development in general

2 Likes

I’d tell her to fuck off and block her from all aspects of my life

I wouldn’t listen to your mother in law. Hopefully you have a good doctor who would point it out if they really thought there was an issue, good doctors understand that kiddos learn at different paces- but can point out when there may be something more. However, the issue still would not be related to breastfeeding.

Was your MIL breast fed? Seriously that’s a dumb thing to say and completely untrue.

Wow. All 4 of my kids are formula fed. And not all of them were even holding their bottles at the same time. Kids are all so different.

My thoughts are she’s an idiot.

Your MIL is an ass… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. Every child grows at their own rate.

Breastmilk is brain building :roll_eyes:

My son is all boob besides his solid food and so smart and loves to study things around him.

Fuck your MIL

Wouldn’t worry about her, she’ll get over that! Plus like you said had only spent two hours with her so she doesnt know how this baby acts 24/7 so theres really no say so!

Sounds like she’s jealous and being a passive aggressive bad word :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

every child does things at different ages bresst feeding best thing you can do for infant mil needs to mind her bussiness

Bless her heart. I would of said to her “unless you’re holding some degree that allows you to make that kind of diagnoses please kindly keep quiet!”

Or you could of got nasty and said “no he gets it from your side not the Milk!” :rofl:

People it’s okay to stand up to your MIL when she’s out of line.

10 Likes

Nothing can compare to breastmilk

1 Like

I breastfed 3 kids so far, 2 were preemies and they all met every milestone before or at the appropriate time. They all actually preferred a sippy cup over a bottle and my 3rd went from breast to sippy cup for a bit. to water bottles and regular cups. Tell your mother in law dont judge with limited time spent with your child.

Ummm your mil sounds like a troll sorry for you. You cannot determine if a child is “slow” based on bottle holding. The cdc has a milestone tracker you can download for free but all children develop at different times so it’s not set in stone just a guideline. If my mil said that to me I would tell her to not speak that way and if she continues to do so I would not have her watch my child.

Every baby does stuff at there own pace dont listen to her…

You need to keep your MIL away from your baby if she’s going to have that attitude. And it’s a nasty insult to you and your husband about how your raising the baby. Shame on her.

6 Likes

My eldest was bottle fed from 6 weeks and I still had to hold his bottle until he was one…he wasn’t slow just a lazy little shit :joy:

My children have all been breast fed and they’re very smart. What a rude old bitch.

Your mother in law is uneducated and judgmental and you probably shouldn’t leave her alone with your baby in the future. What a horrid, uneducated thing to say about her own grandchild.

3 Likes

Ignorant people will say a lot of stupid things. The only way to deal with it is to ignore them.
Just leave it at that because that doesn’t even deserve a response. Regardless of who it is. MIL of my OWN mother. You don’t need to explain yourself nor feel that you’re doing something wrong or that there is something wrong with your baby.

1 Like

My son is strictly breastfed there’s nothing wrong with ur baby no matter if they were breastfed or formula fed…

2 Likes

How ridiculous. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.

Your MIL is a slow nut​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hahaha what a load of bull

It would be helpful if you stated how old your baby is. Then we’d know if she was a dumbass… But BF babies are not slow, so in general, her statement makes her a dumbass. Tell her to stfu and research the benefits of BFing.

Sorry but thats a cunt thing to say. Even if she meant it in a good way… which there isn’t. And breast feeding IS the most preferred way. Doesn’t mean he is slow. And to prove that my youngest is formula fed. She just learned to fully crawl and is getting the hang of pulling herself up to standing.

She is a literal idiot.

2 Likes

Um no that’s not true, seriously they’re benefits for breast feeding. Your MIL is not the bright one… :confused:

Every child is different and your mother in law is evil :imp:

2 Likes

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

1 Like

Your MIL sounds toxic and seems to have the same views as mine did (she didn’t breastfeed either hence that automatically made it bad since i did) kids develop at their own pace .ignore her trolling n next time she says it, tell her to mind her own business and that ur baby is perfect n she is no longer welcome.

1 Like

I’ve never breastfed but was always told the best for babies an mom

My daughter wouldn’t hold a bottle until well over 6 months because even when feeding formula feeding time is important for bonding and part of that is holding the bottle and being engaged with them while you feed them. In fact I’d go as far as to say my daughter never held a bottle, only once she had a sippy did and hold it herself. And she is a competitive dancer and in the advanced class in kindergarten now so far from behind :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

There has been studies about this very topic and those studies have found that there is no difference in intelligence between breastfed and bottle fed babies!!
Your MIL is just being nasty by the sounds of it!!

4 Likes

LOL i have officialy heard it all now. My gawd. Shes WRONG! On many levels. Keep breastfeeding your child. Nothing but benefits there.

2 Likes

That’s not a thing lol

Maybe it wasn’t what she said but how she said it. lol How old is your baby? A baby should still learn to grasp toys even if they don’t grab for a bottle because he/she is hungry. Your mother in law is probably used to seeing babies grab for a bottle forcefully much younger and grip toys. It is possible that your babies hand coordination is a little weaker than that of a bottle fed baby of his age because he/she does not require to use the hand muscles as much. It will all come together pulling and playing later. She sounds a bit rude and crude about it. Not someone I would need around me or my child much. hummmmm

2 Likes

Tell her to shut the f u c k up & mind her own business.

3 Likes

Your mother-in-law sounds like the slow one.

3 Likes

It’s a hurtful comment to hear and it sucks and I’m sorry that it was family that said that to you. Kids develop at all different times. My MIL told me that my kids were gonna have a learning disabilities because they started walking “late”. All four of her sons started walking around 9 or 10 months and 3 out of 4 have a learning disability. 2 of them are dyslexic and one has ADHD :woman_shrugging:t5:

My baby is breastfed, with no pumping, and hates bottles. And she’s above and beyond. Breast milk is gold. Ask any single doctor! Your baby hasn’t reached those milestones yet because there’s no need for them! And that time will come.
Don’t take shit from someone would would insult her own grandchild. She probably has a guilt complex since she obviously didn’t breastfeed.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard

2 Likes

Tell her she is slow for having no manners. She can mind her business.

5 Likes

My daughter was breastfed for 2 months and then formula fed. This girl wouldn’t hold a bottle until she was almost 11 months old! I’m 100% sure it had nothing to do with how she was fed!

1 Like

Breastfeeding comes with a lot of judgement and outside opinions. If you plan on continuing, you’ll have to grow thicker skin. My 14 month old daughter has been exclusively breastfed (never took a bottle or a pacifier!:sob:). I am constantly getting unsolicited “advice” and snarky comments from ill-informed, inexperienced people who have no idea what is best for me or my baby. I do! With my first child, I took it to heart. The lack of support and surplus of judgement (from my own family and my in-laws) caused me to wean at 9 months, this time I’m doing what I want for my family and breastfeeding as long as we are all happy.

5 Likes

Not to mention formula is expensive and you should have a good diet anyway.

Is she trained in early childhood education? Special education? Maybe a deck of fortune telling cards or a crystal ball? Tel hours should have been spent enjoying him, not looking for trouble. She is a drama llama. Beware of her mouth! IF she tells all the relatives, let them know that if you ever have concerns, you will talk to your doctor.

2 Likes

Breastfed babies actually have higher IQs than formula fed. At least from what I understand. It would be interesting to do the research on for sure

2 Likes

I can’t get my kids to stop :rofl::rofl::rofl: why is this even a question. Shame on her for making you doubt yourself.

1 Like

What a B$&&, first off I breastfed all 6 children some are well advanced and the others met there milestones at a perfectly normal time. That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard, if anything it’s the best thing you can do if your able to do it. As for the negative comments, it sounds like she’s a negative person, disregard those and do what you feel is right.

3 Likes

Bull all kids develope at thier own pacehas nothing to do with breast or bottle fed

2 Likes

Wow. That’s wrong and ignorant. I’m so sorry.

1 Like

I have notice anyone born before 1990s have been so judgemental about breastfeeding until 2.

I think you ignore her and trust ur instincts as a mother. If you feel like he is then call ecap near u and they do evals and help u catch them to speed or give u ideas on how too!

I have always heard breastfed babies have higher IQs & have a close relationship with their mother.

2 Likes

Tell her to shut the hell up. My family said the same till I lashed back.

She sounds like a dumbass but if he is having trouble grasping things, might want to do an evaluation

Breastfeeding has nothing to do with a learning disabilities… In fact I was an early reader and I was breastfed the longest out of all my sisters. I do have ADD but it’s all genetic. Autism, ADD, ADHD, down syndrome etc. All have genetic links!

I breast fed mine and they never had any problems. Some children will just move at their own pace. I would n’t worry.

1 Like

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! I would have laughed so hard on her face… And ask… Then what is your excuse?

5 Likes

Ask her if she was breastfed then

2 Likes

Holding a bottle isn’t a milestone! Mine didn’t ever take a bottle. When he was around 2 1/2yrs we were at cousin’s house who uses a bottle, put bottle in mouth and let it hang down never tilting it because that’s not how Mommy’s breasts work!

2 Likes

On the contrary breastfed babies score higher usually later in life

OMG. Please no. Do not believe her. Idk where he is with his development, but breast feeding is not holding him back! Give him toys to grab at. A baby gym is all he needs.
Google it. Seriously, though. Your doing what’s best for your baby. Breathe, you got this

1 Like

BF is hands down best thing u could ever do :relieved:

1 Like

Your mother mil is a slow minded bitch how dare her say that about any baby or child she should be ashamed

Tell ur mother in law to stfu.! All babies are different ur baby will do and learn when he/she is ready

2 Likes

I stopped reading after the 1st sentence…dont ever speak to this woman again or let her near your child!! She is to toxic

1 Like

My two month old daughter is both breast fed and bottle fed and she still hasn’t held her toys or bottles I’ve bought her. Babies with move at their own pace. My family don’t understand why I do both but I love it because it’s the most beautiful experience ever & that was the first thing my daughter had after being born :heart: You’re doing a good job !

Wow. What an insensitive thing to say. I’ve never heard such a thing. Don’t listen to her. The cdc website has excellent milestones charts but more importantly, warning signs to look for. Unless she has her PhD is child development tell her to go fly a kite.

1 Like

Tell her shut the hell up.

And even if he was developmentally behind, would she love him less or expect you to love him differently?

2 Likes

I’m old as time and I have never heard anything like that. It’s the best for babies

Your mil isnt the sharpest tool in the shed apparently

7 Likes