My mother-in-law told me baby showers were for "broke people"

My husband and I are expecting our first child, I have two from a previos relationship that he has claimed as his own…I want to have a baby shower since this is our first together and its been years since ive had a baby and i gave all my stuff to my sister…the issue is i found out thorugh my sister in law (who i love) that my mother in law was talking badly about baby showers claiming baby showers are for “broke people who cannot afford their own baby items”…and that her son “is probably broke because i just spend all day at home and do nothing with my life”(im on bedrest currently due to a hard pregnancy)…needless to say i dont think she likes me and now i feel like i should not having a baby shower…my sister in law wants to do it anyways but i dont want my mother in law to hate me even more…,y husband wants to do what makes me happy but also doesnt want to offend his mother…what should I do?

722 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My mother-in-law told me baby showers were for "broke people" - Mamas Uncut

She can butt the fuck out and stay in her lane!!

Celebrities have baby showers. She’s just not a nice person…have the shower.

5 Likes

You should’ve just gone along with it. Lol. Don’t invite mother in law. If she gets mad remind her what she said and that you figured she wouldn’t want to be there because of that :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2: see how fast her attitude changes. 

6 Likes

Have a baby shower and don’t invite her

2 Likes

This is YOUR pregnancy and YOUR family. If your MIL doesn’t agree with the baby shower, then she doesn’t need to come. And if she’s going to treat you poorly over it, then she can choose to no longer be a part of your life.
You need to live for YOU and YOUR family. Not your MIL and her opinion. Or anyone else’s, for that matter

12 Likes

Let your sister in law do it. She can either invite her mom or not… Your mother in law sounds like a real peach. She won’t be happy either way. I hope for your sake that your hubby is firmly on your side and sticks up for you to his mom.

5 Likes

Fuck her 🤷 it’s your baby your decision let her feel and think what she wants to, I wouldn’t invite her though.

Baby showers are to celebrate the baby you’re having. Don’t let anyone else steal your happiness, you’ll only regret it.

7 Likes

It’s yours and ur husbands choice not his mom.

Shes not preg, you are

If she feels like that fine she can put her 2 cents in when it comes to her being preg lol.
How can u offend her by doing that?
If she feels offended then dont Invite her

If ur worried about her being mad? Let her be mad , she childish if she gets upset

Who cares about what she thinks it’s not even that serious

1 Like

As if No! They are not !!! The freaking Kardashians and many if not all major celebrities have them.

1 Like

Have the shower. If the MIL doesn’t like it, she doesn’t have to attend.

5 Likes

Do the baby shower. If you want one then do it. I only had two just for my boys who are 14 years apart.

Have one n don’t invite them :roll_eyes:

Have the baby shower :woman_shrugging:t2: your mother in law is just mad because she probably didn’t have that support system so seeing you with it makes her mad. Ignore her baby showers are to celebrate the baby’s arrival

2 Likes

No they are not lol. We are not broke and my sis gave me one. Tell her she is not invited!

3 Likes

Its not about what your mother in law does or doesn’t want. Don’t let anyone control your life like that.

4 Likes

Have It anyway none of her business

1 Like

Every baby deserves to be celebrated! You should absolutely have a baby shower and enjoy it!

2 Likes

Have a baby shower. If she doesn’t like it, she doesn’t have to come

1 Like

Omg have one. Life is short, do not let someone like that steal your happiness and joy because you will absolutelyregret it . A baby is a blessing and friends and family love celebrating and buying gifts. If she doesn’t like it, she doesn’t have to go.

1 Like

I wonder where people get these notions? Clearly she doesn’t live in the south where there’s a shower or party for EVERYTHING! Have your shower- your MIL is toxic- she can’t hate you any more than she already does - and having your shower or not won’t alter her already formed and set in stone decisions

2 Likes

Have a baby shower celebrate this baby!!

Having a baby shower isn’t for broke people. It is to celebrate bringing a baby into this world. Smdh.

Have it and don’t invite her.

1 Like

Girl, you have that baby shower and let your husband enjoy the process of having his first child! If the MiL doesn’t want to come, that’s on her, not you!

1 Like

Have the baby shower!

Ignore her have your baby shower don’t let her rude comments destroy a beautiful time in your life. If anything don’t invite her or ignore her and don’t include her in any of the planning. Celebrate this new life.

Do whatever you want, if SIL wants to do one…LET HER!!! Don’t invite M I L…

Have that baby shower!
Baby showers are not for broke people. People love to spoil new babies! I almost didn’t have mine but I had a lady from church tell me…”This is what we do, when someone dies we cook food for the family and comfort them. When someone is having a baby we throw them a baby shower and celebrate the mother and baby. Have that shower.”

And someone should inform her that opinions are like a$$holes.

Do the shower and don’t invite her. When she asks why, tell her it’s because she disapproves of them.

Have the baby shower! Enjoy yourself! Use this time to grow your bond with your sister-in-law. Regardless of what choice you make, your mother-in-law with still act the same.

5 Likes

Have the biggest, best baby shower ever and don’t invite your MIL.

4 Likes

Have the baby shower. Don’t invite your mother in law, you don’t need the stress.

2 Likes

That is not true. You should definitely have one

Have one and don’t invite her

Don’t invite her. Simple

1 Like

Screw her and what she thinks. Have that baby shower!

1 Like

do it. dont invite her. she dontnlike them anyway so she shouldn care

Well she’s off the guest list…… :joy::joy::rofl::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

Throw it out it’s broken lol -the mother in law that is. Seriously though people really piss me off when they feel the need to express their strong opinions on something that’s honestly it about them. I myself have dealt with it and it’s insane. I can’t with these people. Celebrate the damn baby! It’s not just about the gifts or the in laws :no_good_woman:t3:

dont invite the mother in law go on and have it its your day and celebrate your baby with friends and family who want to be there me and my husband bought all the big items and some small if people dont bring a gift at least there there to support you and the baby let the calibrations begin its a happy time

:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow: I’ve never heard anyone say that in my life :rofl:

1 Like

F*ck your MIL. Her opinion matters less than her role in your pregnancy, which is zero. If you let her manipulate and dictate to you now, she will always do it. She needs to quit looking down her nose at people. She will prolly also complain and screech when she doesnt get invited.

Do what you want. You can’t please everyone.

I’m heartbroken that your mother in law feels that way. A baby shower is to celebrate and she should be doing that with you. You should have a baby shower no matter what. Let others come celebrate with you!

2 Likes

Do not let your M.I.L. opinion ruin your joy. A Shower is to celebrate the upcoming birth of your baby.

If MIL is truly concerned her boy is broke what is she doing to assist?

I would tell her the baby shower is cancelled. But have it anyway lol

2 Likes

Forget that MIL! Have a shower in honor of the new one to be. She doesn’t have to attend. Probably nicer time if she doesn’t!

1 Like

Who f’n cares what she thinks!!! Baby showers have been around for many many years and have become a tradition. Have you a baby shower!!!

Have one and don’t invite her

Baby showers are given by friends, usually at a friend’s home.

They are not for broke people, it is to share happiness and to celebrate with your close friend and family

2 Likes

Have one. Don’t invite her.

You deserve a baby shower

Dude, sounds like you need a husband that has the balls to stand against his mom!
Baby showers are awesome and if you want one, have one!!

1 Like

This is a new day and age…throw your own baby shower mama and if she doesn’t want to come then so be it. You do you

Let sister in law throw the shower. Be happy it’s your baby, had mother that could spoil your fun. Dead now but did love her spite her ways.

Life is short, if she wants to spend life offended , that’s her affair

Have a shower and enjoy it. Have your spouse tell his mom that is she doesn’t want to come or cannot be happy AND supportive while attending, she should not come. Baby showers are a celebration for the mom and baby.

2 Likes

Have a shower, you are having a baby people want to celebrate that if she doesn’t want to come her loss!!

2 Likes

They’re definitely not. Every baby deserves to be celebrated! No matter how “rich” or “poor” you are. I’ve never heard of this in my life! She’s a bitter B****
Have your baby shower, and don’t invite her :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

F what she thinks.

It’s your baby and your life. Get ready for a lot of people to give their two cents.

Either you give into what they think or you do what you want. Your choice.

1 Like

A baby shower is to celebrate the new life coming into the family. If she don’t like it she can stay home

1 Like

YOU DO YOU!! Have the baby shower and allow the sister in law to take reign. No matter what you do or don’t do, MIL will most likely never like you so F what she thinks. I’ll never understand why MIL’s act the way they do.

Have it and enjoy it

Have one. Don’t invite her :rofl:

5 Likes

Have a Baby :baby_bottle:. Shower

Have the baby shower!

Is it the sister in laws mother? If so she probably knows her mother is just being an ass and that’s why she’s insisting. Baby showers are so your family can dote on your child

Tell your SIL that MIL is not invited. Who cares if she hates you anyways :woman_shrugging:

I’d have the best baby shower ever and not invite your mother in law :slightly_smiling_face: baby showers are for celebrating the baby and stocking up on essentials.

2 Likes

Funny that dozens of human beings every where usually have baby showers of some sort. Rich or poor. It’s usually to celebrate the soon-to-be arrival of a new baby.

2 Likes

Invite her if she doesn’t show up oh well enjoy your baby shower it’s your decision not hers just my opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

baby showers aare arenot are notfor not forgifts its to celabrate celebrate a new baby i feel I the mom is a toxic person sorry dont get don’t get mad at me

Have the shower. Invite everyone including her. If she goes good. If she doesn’t oh well. Don’t let her bitterness consume you.

3 Likes

First of all baby showers are for anyone. Broke, rich, doesn’t matter. I would have loved to have had one but my mother and my “friends” decided not to throw one last minute. My coworkers at the time stepped up and had one for me the day before I went on leave. I struggled emotionally with that when my mother basically screwed me over because I didn’t get to do much my first pregnancy. No maternity pics, no 3D/4D ultrasounds, not even a proper nursery because of the financial status at the time. I took it really hard. I eventually got over it but PLEASE if you want to have a shower throw your own, have a friend put one together, but have one. Don’t bother inviting her if she feels it’s for “broke people” because they aren’t. Eff her for thinking like that.

1 Like

Celebrate that baby!
I only have one kiddo with my hubby, (but I have two amazing bonus kids, whom I dearly love)
But we ended up having to have two baby showers, because some of my aunts (the two who through the first shower) refused to allow my aunt (who has been there all my life for me ) to be there because they hate her. So that aunt then threw me a little shower, with everything I actually wanted for my nursery plus a huge dinner.

I was gonna drop the first one because it made me sooooooooooo mad, but that was the date all my friends took off for so I couldn’t.

Have the biggest best baby shower ever. Honestly I had a baby shower for each child I had. She will get over it, perhaps she can’t afford a gift etc. Babyshowers are deffiantly not just for the poor and they cost money to do espeacially if your renting a hall etc.

1 Like

Have it anyway and just exclude her.

2 Likes

Have the shower ask someone else to help you .
When the baby comes things will soften her up a bit, his mom may be just a bit jelly for losing her sons attention, it will change for the better as long as your are respectful and that is the best way to honor your husband

You as the mother-to-be would traditionally have nothing to do with the baby shower until you get there, my family always had them be a surprise, by the Grandmother, aunts ect. Let your sister-in-law do whatever she wants to do, you just give her a list of most wanted/needed items and contact information for people who want to come celebrate your new baby with you. All my babies were celebrated!!!

4 Likes

Have the baby shower screw what she has to say

Who doesn’t love a baby shower? Has nothing to do with finances. Simply gives all your friends and family a chance to shower the newest blessing. Sad your MIL feels that way. Always do what makes you happy. I pray your MIL keeps her opinions to herself and enjoys this joyous occasion.

She pretty much un-invited herself . Have an amazing baby shower. Go all out girl!

Does your sister in law have kids? Dis she have a baby showers or would you mother in law say the same thing if your sister in law was to have a baby? I think you should go ahead and have the baby shower and not worry about what your mother-in-law thinks and if she has a problem than she could buy everything you need. I also think if your mother doesn’t like you than having a baby shower won’t matter seeing she’s always going to dislike you

Your mil is allowed to have her opinion, it’s not your business nor is it a reflection of you. Her opinion is not the authority. If you and your husband want to have a baby shower and your sil wants to do it anyways, then do it!

1 Like

Oh my!! I’m sorry about your mother in law. But baby showers are for new babies :baby: and you should have one. :partying_face::heartpulse:

1 Like

Have one forget the Karen (mother n law) it’s your day it’s your party invite everyone except the mother n law ( or ask her to purchase all the food) and she can cone

1 Like

Have a baby shower!! You and your baby deserve it!!

2 Likes

Have the baby shower! If you let her have that little bit of control now its only gonna get worse

2 Likes

Have the baby shower and dont invite your mother in law

1 Like

Let your Sister in law throw you a fabulous baby shower!!

1 Like

That’d be all the more reason for me to have one… eff her.

2 Likes

Kylie Jenner has had a baby shower for both her babies. She’s a billionaire lol. It’s a celebration for baby.

5 Likes

I believe baby showers are for happy people! For excited and supportive family and friends! It’s like a birthday party for becoming new parents where everyone gets to be excited with you! (Just like a bachelor/bachelorette party). I’ve NEVER heard or thought it was for broke people. You only get one life! Do what makes YOU happy!

3 Likes

Have one forget the Karen (mother n law) it’s your day it’s your party invite everyone except the mother n law ( or ask her to purchase all the food) and she can come

Or you can have a shower if you want to and I wouldn’t invite those people