My mother-in-law told me baby showers were for "broke people"

It’s about showering the baby with love. Even famous people have baby showers.

4 Likes

It’s for celebrating a new life

4 Likes

Do what you want to do. You’re not having the baby shower for ur MIL. You’re having it for you and ur baby. Your MIL doesn’t need to come. In my country, if you have a baby shower, it means you’re rich because gifts aside, you’re still feeding and entertaining the guests. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Have you a baby shower and tell her to keep her petty ass at home.

Screw his mother. She sounds toxic. There’s nothing you can do at this point to make her life you. Have your baby shower. Enjoy your time. Don’t let her live in your head rent free.

2 Likes

Have your shower. She’s mad that her son has stepkids before he has his own kids. That’s a her problem. She has to get over it. Your husband isn’t a boy, he’s a man and chose you and your kids. As long as he doesn’t run to Mommy for financial help,it’s fine.

Have a baby shower and don’t invite her. Plain as that lol

4 Likes

Have it.
Don’t invite her

1 Like

Baby showers are a soul are a celebration of what’s to come you’re a friends and usually the family want to be included and this is how they’re included is by giving you a gift

1 Like

Cut her off. It only gets worse.

Your sister in law can do what she wants. Mother-in-law seems jealous. She doesn’t need to come if she feels that way

1 Like

I would have the baby shower and not invite her. She sounds toxic and if you are on bed rest you don’t need to have her around.

1 Like

Guess it’s one less invite you have to send. Choose yourself and your baby and your happiness over her. You will not regret it. If she wants to be rude, that’s her burden to carry.

1 Like

Hun you only have 3 people to think about.
You
Your husband
Your children
Forget the naysayers

4 Likes

Don’t allow her to see the baby either.

1 Like

Oh dear…this is big time right there…first off listening second hand isnt great…her words could have been taken out of context you simply do not know what she actually feels and thinks about you…second, always do what you want and is best for you. Setting boundaries is so important right now especially before baby arrives…invite mil and see if she shows or not. You really dont need any drama right now. This is a sacred time for you. You deserve to be celebrated supported, and nurtured.
You are preparing for your baby. Right now you are in one of the biggest transitions of your life. Keep those who respect you listen to you and know your heart close.

Rich and famous people have baby showers….they’re def not broke.
Do what you want. It’s to celebrate baby!

You should give her the list of all the baby stuff needed let her buy them if she so rich and your husband is just a pussy if he has to choose not to upset his mother over u.Why the hell he got married if his mother comes first???

A baby shower … yes, is to bring gifts… but more importantly- to celebrate a new life! She sounds like a very sad and shallow woman. I would let it slide and invite those that you enjoy being surrounded with.

If she hates you, she hates you. You having a baby shower isn’t going to “make it worse”. Mama probably doesn’t care about baby showers and maybe has been to a few, but because it’s you, she has all these negative things to say. Is your husband her only son? Or the favorite? She may suffer from emotional incest and is extremely jealous right now especially since it’s his first child. Have your baby shower and enjoy your day cause the cost of baby shower isn’t for broke people

go ahead with the shower, but dont invite her!

It’s a baby shower…
If I were you, I’d still have a baby shower invite all your friends and family… but leave her broke ass at home!!!
That’s her problem

I wouldn’t give in to satisfy her, don’t start that trend hun! Xoxo You and your husband are the ones to make the decision and you want one, case closed Momma!! Congratulations on a new baby!! Soo exciting!!

Do the baby shower let your sister in law have f his mother lol :rofl:

I would have it and not invite her or include her in anything

3 Likes

F#%k her…
Do what you want, don’t worry about what she thinks, she’s a bish.
Baby showers are for everyone, for every baby.

Have a shower. It is a celebration of the baby. She can not attend if it is beneath her.

Tell her to stay away! You don’t deserve to be treated like that!

1 Like

I’ve noticed an increase of pregnant women lately creating posts that they’ve been told that baby showers are for ‘poor’ people and it absolutely disgusts me. It’s for any pregnant women to celebrate the beautiful life that is growing inside them.

Screw her! If you want a baby shower, absolutely go ahead and she can sit at home like a mopy bitch.

F that and f her. Celebrate this new baby with a shower and don’t invite her… tell her you couldn’t afford to invite her

1 Like

Have your baby shower , enjoy it !!!

2 Likes

Do what YOU want. It’s about you and the baby! Not her and what she thinks :blush:

4 Likes

She can just choose not to come. Celebrities have showers all the time

2 Likes

Have one and don’t invite her

1 Like

Have a baby shower!!! They’re not for broke people! They’re to make memories for expectant mothers. They’re for your friends to feel good in supporting you. I’ve never in my life heard they’re for broke people. If that were the case celebrities wouldn’t have them.

1 Like

Do it. This is you, and your family. Your Mother in law doesn’t need to come.

1 Like

First of all baby showers are for everybody. If people don’t like you they will find ways to criticize you they will search them out and invent them
I have almost the same situation and it was 6 years from my previous child and I had a baby shower. The last baby shower I went to parents have the house that’s went over a million dollars and the mother drives the range Rover so… Lol. People also have sprinkles nowadays which is like a mini baby shower for people that are not having their first.
You going to have to decide right now that you’re not going to let her opinions or comments affect the way that you live and parent. Enjoy your shower. Screw her

1 Like

Do what you want in laws always has something to say

1 Like

I know a lot of rich people whom have baby showers. It’s a day to celebrate a new life that is about to enter the world, enjoy your time with family and friends before baby comes, and if you get stuff you need for the baby, that’s just a bonus. So does she think birthday parties are bad too? Like….you only have a birthday party because you can’t afford presents for your kids? Have your baby shower. Invite her and if she doesn’t show up, you will just enjoy it even more. At least you tried to be nice. This is not her baby so it’s not her business. And if your family wants to throw you a shower, who is she to say they can’t? You are not being rude. Don’t worry about her happiness. She obviously has issues with being happy. Just concentrate on you and the baby, have your shower and enjoy it. She can talk all she wants but nobody is going to agree with her.

1 Like

Have the shower. Maybe Don’t invite her though. Your husband needs to put a stop to her bad mouthing you. Your his wife and the mother of his child. Enjoy your baby shower with those who are excited and happy for you.

2 Likes

Your MIL sounds like a joy to be around :flushed: I would have the shower anyhow and not invite her :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

You should have it anyway. Who cares what the old biddy says. You could tell people not to buy anything or keep it small if you feel like you must but in the end it’s about spending time with people who love you and want to help you welcome your baby. Enjoy the love :hugs::heart::baby_bottle:

1 Like

Baby showers are for people with friend clearly your in laws have no friends and are bitter!
I’d have loved a baby shower not for the gifts I often say don’t give my kid tons of gifts please but for the fun and cake

2 Likes

Time to get yourself a new MIL

2 Likes

Have one & don’t have her there because even if she does come, she sounds like she is someone that will steal your joy from the day anyway.

She doesn’t deserve to be there if she doesn’t think it’s important to celebrate you as a new mom & her new grandchild :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Have the shower and don’t invite her. Sorry-but baby showers are to celebrate with friends and family. If she doesn’t like it then she keep her ass at home. Don’t let her ruin this for those that are genuinely happy for you.

Baby showers are to celebrate having a new little one with family and friends.

2 Likes

Have you’re baby shower enjoy

Have the baby shower!

4 Likes

That is one wicked tongue your mother-in-law has!! Have your shower and love every minute of it! God’s gift of a new baby is a wonderful thing!

2 Likes

To Hell with your MIL have a baby shower, they’re for the baby and not for freaking poor people. Who the Hell does she think she is. Damn don’t invite her don’t involve her now or when the baby is born.

Absolutely have that baby shower!! Ask your SIL to invite people who love and support you and your husband. BTW, he sounds like a KEEPER!!!

1 Like

This is probably what you don’t want to hear, but,
Live for you
Love for you
You cannot please everyone and that includes your mother in law.
It does not matter what she says or does, unless you give it power.
If you want a baby shower have a baby shower.
Her opinion is her opinion, do not let it direct your life.
Be kind always, but live your life how you desire and enjoy the things that bring you joy.
God bless!

7 Likes

If thats her opinion on baby showers then she won’t be annoyed when she doesn’t get an invite

4 Likes

People who love you want to celebrate your baby. Let them! Don’t let her misery affect you.

2 Likes

I can’t believe she said that. My niece is well-to-do. So was my sister. They had the biggest, nicest baby shower you ever saw. People came from miles around with expensive, practical gifts. The refreshments were top-notch too. I don’t think baby showers are for broke people. They’re for people of good will who love the new parents to bring heartfelt gifts to celebrate the new baby. There are games played that keep spirits high and celebrate babies. I would try to explain that to your mother-in-law and tell her that you appreciate your sister-in-law wanting to have the baby shower. Tell her you plan to enjoy it.

:joy::joy: I was broke when I had my son but didn’t do a baby shower :joy::joy:

Call be broke then! :rofl:I’d have the shower and tell her to keep her rich butt at home! Jk no I would have the shower because A. You want to B. Everyone could use baby stuff. They are not cheap and they say it takes a village to raise them so may as well start now lol. I read earlier on another post the parents to be decided to have a BabyQ and is like a shower with friends and family. That could be an option. It’s really a baby shower with a different name so maybe she’ll keep her mouth shut. Id definitely ask your husband to have a sit down talk with mom and explain how her comments are not necessary and not every thought needs to be said. He needs to tell her he loves her but as his wife he loves you to. He needs to demand respect from her and help her realize she is putting him in a bad place- middle of mom and wife. Either way sounds like she doesn’t like you for whatever reason and nothing you do or don’t do will make her happy so live your life to the fullest without being concerned with her hating you more. That’s her issue not yours babe. Respectfully keep her at a distance and be guarded with her.

Have the shower, it’s not her place or business

Baby showers are a fun tradition if you want a baby shower than have one if she doesn’t like them than she doesn’t need to be there

I would tell her to kiss my ass and do what I want to do

Mother in laws can be wonderful but they can always really suck the joy out of your life. It says more about her than you that she could be so hateful to the woman her son loves. Have a wonderful happy baby shower letting the people that truly love you celebrate you and the baby that will brighten everyone’s life. I have tried for over 40 years to have a relationship with my mother in law to only be treated like an “in law” my children are grown adults and we still talk about the beautiful gifts they were given. Love your life… and love every minute :sparkling_heart:

Man screw that lady! Go have a wonderful baby shower and don’t invite her.

1 Like

Have the baby shower. Broke or not broke. She aint gonna support you so Who gives a shit what she thinks.

Have the dang baby shower and try to ignore the haters…

Sounds like she wishes she was having his baby instead. Have a shower

Have the baby shower. Another great reason to bring people together.

1 Like

Shame on her and shame on him for not standing by your side. You have that baby shower. Mother-in-law does NOT need to attend!!

3 Likes

Tell her to shut up and mind her business ! :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Lolz. Just have one and don’t invite her

2 Likes

Live your life do what you want, don’t care what other people think about you or your current situation. You can’t please everybody so you gotta please yourself!

3 Likes

Have the baby shower they’re fun. PS don’t invite the ahole

1 Like

Have a baby shower, it’s your time for your friends and loved ones to celebrate you and your coming motherhood. If she already doesn’t like you, not having a baby shower isn’t going to make a difference other than make her feel she won and can control you with words.

1 Like

Have your sil throw the baby shower on the condition that your mil is not aloud to attend

1 Like

His mother can sit right at home and not attend, who cares about offending her.

Don’t live your life defined by what your MIL thinks. You’ll regret it.

1 Like

She is wrong & wrong to interfere.

Trust me….have your shower because the MIL isn’t going to change her ways anyway!!!

Don’t worry about your mother inlaw. It’s her problem. If showers were for “broken” people there are a lot of broken people out there. It’s a tradition. Maybe she is worried she might be asked for help with the shower? Who knows! If she keeps talking negative I would beask your husband to talk to her

1 Like

Have a baby shower it’s not for poor people it’s to allow your friends and family to help welcome your newest fa.ily members into your family. And as for your mother-in-law she will have to deal with all this in side herself. God bless and congratulations

Wow,your MIL sounds like a dream! Not at all sour grapes :slightly_smiling_face:

So she must think birthday parties are for broke people also :thinking:

Have the biggest baby shower. :tada::heart::baby:t2::baby:t4::baby:t6:

Your life your friends your baby do a welcome home shower after baby is born ! Then she can say anything and you still get your baby shower

Have a baby shower. Don’t invite mil

Baby showers are a tradition to celebrate the new baby.

1 Like

You deserve it! Have a baby shower, make great memories and have fun. Trust me once the baby is born I am sure she will have many more opinions. You have to do what you want to do and once the baby comes you have to stick with your instants and do what is right for your baby. Congratulations mama! :two_hearts:

Opinions are like A-holes, everybody’s got one. I’d back her down now and learn to shut your ears to her comments. Don’t let her get the upper hand. If she’s going to be this way, why not do as you please? She’ll soon find something else to pick on. Baby showers are so much fun. Enjoy your day!

2 Likes

I personally don’t like baby showers because I feel like it makes family and friends feel obligated to buy things for your baby when it’s not their responsibility to prepare for your baby, however, her opinion should not be taken into any kind of consideration, and if she doesn’t like you or baby showers , she certainly does not need to be invited. I would actually make it a point to not invite her to anything🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

Tell her that y’all don’t need baby gift from her, since gift receiving is for broke people.

Have the baby shower snd don’t invite his mother. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Have the baby shower!!!

2 Likes

In my opinion you deserve a baby shower. Have your sister in law invite all your loved ones that support you and are happy for you. It’s sad how your mother in law is acting I am sorry for you going thru this as you are dealing with enough with your pregnancy and taking care of your other children.

4 Likes

Phuqq that miserable MIL
Let Sissy give u a shower

2 Likes

It’s a Celebration!!

1 Like

Just dont invite her

3 Likes

Tell your mother in law to go suck a dick and have your baby shower. You deserve it !

Gosh, I didn’t realize Mother in laws are/can be so toxic until joining this group! :pensive:
You do what YOU and YOUR HUSBAND want to do!! Always from this baby shower to the end of your marriage!

7 Likes

Showers celebrate this awesome occasion! Friends will love gifting you and the new baby!

4 Likes

When someone throws you the shower, she doesn’t have to come :woman_shrugging:t3: