My mother-in-law will not let me host Easter

She sounds dreadful. Your husband should be more supportive of you because having a place to host holidays is a big deal. I would say, “OK, you want to host Easter, fine but I would like to host at least one holiday in my new home this year. We’re family and im trying to make memories with you in our new home.” Go for non-combative and if she can’t be nice then don’t go to Easter.

5 Likes

I’m a lot older than you, I can understand your frustration. Just ask yourself: is this the hill you want to die on? Is this so important to you that you’ll risk your marriage? If it is, pedal to the medal but be prepared to lose. If it isn’t THAT important, just something you’d like to do, let it go.

4 Likes

Send him back to live with his mama !!

5 Likes

He should understand and want to hist it in your new home. Who wouldn’t Do? If I had just bought a house I would want to host the first gathering. Suggest to him for yall to rotate every other yr…Do it at your house and see what he does. Don’t let him get his way. Maybe he’ll see your not going to back down and put up with her. If he goes then he doesn’t have any respect for you at all and I would seriously think about leaving him. Because he will continue to do it.

1 Like

Go to her house and enjoy it. You will get enough hosting, if you have children.

4 Likes

Let her have her day then you can host another one at your house.

3 Likes

Lordy girl don’t sweat the small stuff…. Throw a new house party after the Holidays and enjoy yourself… in fact you can host a party every weekend if you are so inclined…you have years of hosting a head of you! Go with the flow!

10 Likes

If your family is nearby host an Easter dinner for them. On Saturday would be considerate. Another idea is to plan a family get together on a different Sunday. Either a potluck or prepare the food yourself. I’m not sure why you think it’s so important to host on Easter especially knowing how your mother in law feels about it. On a side note, it wouldn’t bother me if any of my kids would want to host, but they appreciate me doing it.

2 Likes

Well sounds like MIL, who is now banned from ever coming into my home.

5 Likes

At the end of the day, mother in law won’t be around long… so let her do it

3 Likes

Find something else for MIL to feel needed so she is more willing to lose her iron grip on the holidays. Get her involved with projects she can help with, with elements she can control, and for which she can get praise and thanks. Maybe get her a puppy, or ask everyone in the family to call/email/Zoom/visit more so she’s not so lonely. Have someone from an organization call and offer her a specific volunteer job. Make sandwiches etc. for the homeless with a church or sing in a choir/vocal group, teach or coach a sport where she has expertise volunteer with a scout troop or the schools or the hospital or the animal shelter.

2 Likes

Don’t break up your own family by making your husband chose you or his mother. She or you may not be around forever so try to make happy memories. Host another dinner on an open house day to celebrate buying your new house. Ir family brunch for your husband’s birthday ir a child’s birthday. Plenty of days to choose. Not worth a family feud !

4 Likes

Let your husband know you are making dinner for Easter and invite who you want. If your mil doesn’t come it’s on her.

5 Likes

Shit, I’d love to not host! Id enjoy it while it lasts :slightly_smiling_face:

Host your party in your new home! She is greedy and needs a soft lesson.

My mother used to be like this.

3 Likes

Tell her you and your family will see her at the next family get together. Call her bluff.

4 Likes

It’s called compromise. All relationships need it, not just between partners. I’d tell the MIL to gtfo and do it at my own place. It’s a big deal owning your own home. Of course it’s exciting and you wanted to start making wonderful memories there and traditions for your kids. Totally get this. MIL needs to realise her son is growing up and creating his own life away from her. It’s not about choosing one or the other, it’s about reason and common sense. Any logical thinking person would be like, “oh yeah! For sure we should do it at your new house, that would be amazing!” She’s had her time to raise her family and have her traditions, now it’s time to pass the baton on.

5 Likes

I feel like this “tradition” became a tradition because no one stood up to MIL.

6 Likes

Don’t come between your husband and his mother. Go with the Flo.You will have many opportunities to host dinners. She will be gone one day . I’d love to have my mother in law back. She was a wonderful cook.

4 Likes

I would compromise… say ok you do dinner - then organise an Easter Lunch. Feed everyone so much that they’re too full to eat dinner lol :joy:

7 Likes

Like everyone else said she won’t be around forever. You could make another special day to be hostess at your new house. Someowe have to do things we rather not do.

1 Like

Suck it up buttercup ! At least you have family to be with !

1 Like

If she had gone about it in a different tone and wording I would have said yeah ok fine we’ll go there. But that nasty attitude nope. You do your thing, in ite who you want and do your own thing

5 Likes

You deserve to be respected & honored.

2 Likes

Ask her if she so passionate in hosting Easter, if she’s willing to give up another holiday for you to host this year in your new house. At some point she won’t be here… no need to give your husband reason to hold resentment between you or his mother… I totally get it. I started staying home for thanksgiving a few years ago and my only reason was to begin new traditions for my kids.

6 Likes

Why stress about it or look for a family feud. Just do yours the day before or day after for your family and friends. That’s what we do with my daughter’s in- laws

2 Likes

I made the grave mistake of wanting to host my sons birthday party in our new house. 1. We’re not completely done renovating yet and 2. 20+ people want to come now because they get to see our house. I’m stressed right now. His party is in 2 weeks and I have to build shelves, cabinet doors, finish the backsplash, paint the foyer, and finish the bathroom. I’m kicking myself right now.

1 Like

Let her do it now ,because there will come a time she might not be physically or mentally capable of cooking for her family and then you will realize it was really no big deal who hosted the event. Also consider the position you husband is in. Don’t make him choose between his mother or his wife. That is not fair to him. In a 100 yrs from now, will it really matter WHO hosted the meal?

6 Likes

Sometimes we do Easter dinner at one house, and dessert at another…

1 Like

Go with the program.let her do all the work and thank her.

1 Like

Can you host for your family and then go to his moms for his family Easter dinner?
Like we’ve done my family for Easter brunch, then his family for Easter dinner.
Same with other holidays. If she is set on hosting for that side of the family, she can, and you can still host for your side of the family, just at a different meal time.
(Sometimes we do Good Friday or Easter Saturday with one and then Easter Sunday for another side of the family).

Sounds manipulative and controlling! She needs to learn that she can step aside… and your husband needs to respect you more than his mom

4 Likes

Hey less mess at your new place lol

3 Likes

I hate them mothers that makes their sons choose. Then type of mothers be toxic asf.

9 Likes

Let her host Easter. Sounds like it’s tradition. Ask if you can start hosting another holiday.

2 Likes

My husband’s family (including us) rotate holidays. We always do Thanksgiving (at our clubhouse) and invite my family (only 5 - mom, dad, sister, niece, nephew) and even neighbors/people who want to come. Rest of the holidays are whoever volunteers to host but EVERY family brings food, treats, supplies, etc. and most of us help clean up.
My MIL doesn’t host anymore (she’s always the special guest, lol - but also contributes something); now just her kiddos/their wives and grown grandkids host.
Maybe your MIL will be willing to rotate each year, or agree to a different holiday (that you agree with) for you host from now on (if you agree)??

3 Likes

make good memories for your family…the memories she is making will not be the kind of memories she desires…she is selfish…

2 Likes

Why is your anything up to your mother-in-law? Does she control your life somehow?

2 Likes

I say go for it and host it at your new house and if she chooses not to come thats totally and completely on her

1 Like

You do you who cares what everyone else thinks your happiness carries what future brings LIFE

1 Like

Host on the day before or some other time. My mother and sister in-law refuse to come to my house for any reason

Your husband is a pussy.

Less mess and stress

1 Like

Let her host Easter so it can be her family (including you) and do yourself an official house warming party at your house for your family and his. If you want to be an amazing daughter in law, ask your MIL to help you throw the party. There’s little need for the tug-o-war unless you like the extra tension in your life.

6 Likes

WOW!!!She would be acting as childish as her MIL if she doesn’t go…If they have always hosted Easter why change that…Host another holiday…Geezzz the crazy things people get upset over…

2 Likes

That’s when you let her do Easter HOWEVER, make sure to invite YOUR family over to host a 4th of July bbq. Let MIL do whatever she is going to do that day, but tell your husband that you two are doing a bbq 4th of July and inviting YOUR family.

If she has always been in that roll, she probably enjoys it. Why do people make it so hard to do holidays? If it makes you feel any better, you’ll probably out live her and you can take over. Host a house warming next month and show off your new home and your hosting skills and don’t make your husband miserable.

4 Likes

Randy, sounds like someone I know.

You just go to her house and have Easter, You’ll keep the peace, and you will outlive her so do it then. Even though I think she’s rude lol

Let her have Easter and a month after have a house warming party that’s let’s you have ppl over and her to have her Easter

1 Like

I would do my own Easter dinner for your own family, meaning your siblings or just you and him the day before. But what about your family? Do they do anything? Are they close by? Or your mom / Dad?

Host it and see where your husband goes and let that sink in

8 Likes

I’d have my own Easter dinner, and if your husband goes to mommy’s have him pack a suitcase. It goes God then your spouse

7 Likes

I wouldn’t go to her house after she said that.

1 Like

I would host dinner at your house.As you have every right to do.

2 Likes

Let her host … let her do all the cooking & cleaning … and paying for all the food, etc. Go, relax, and enjoy! You don’t have to stay all day … make your own plans around hers. Show up for dinner & leave. Make a special dinner the night before … make plans to go out on a date after Easter dinner at her place. Go see a movie or visit friends, etc. I’m guessing you don’t have children yet.

I’m a grandma of 6, soon to be 7, and my house is always full of family on holidays … mostly because nobody else wants to cook or do the clean up afterward. I know that’s not the only reason … lol … but it was always good enough reason for me to look forward to going to my mom & dad’s place, or my in-laws. I looked forward to not having the messy house & messy kitchen. Of course, I’d always help cook & clean … but it’s different when you assist someone else in their home.

Lighten up. One of these days, your in laws will be gone, and only then will you realize how much you appreciated them. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over who hosts a holiday meal.

If you want to host a party to show off your new home, plan something for memorial day or July 4th, or labor day.

7 Likes

Have Easter Eve at your house on Saturday. Fix your dinner, invite everyone and then let her have her dinner Sunday. I wouldn’t go to her house either. Good luck!

1 Like

Some families have their traditions. It may be her tradition to host holiday dinners for the family. You’re infringing on their traditions by insisting that you do it instead. She probably sees you as controlling. Just let it go.

1 Like

Do your own thing. You have your own family now to start new traditions. It’s only one holiday. Let her stay home if she doesn’t want to come.

1 Like

I know I wouldn’t be going to her house! I’m glad I’m blessed with a wonderful mother in law.

Speaking from one who’s lost her mother, I would just let her do the holidays honesty. Easter, thanksgiving…maybe do Christmas Eve at your house w your family but Christmas Day at hers. She won’t be around much longer, and even if she is she will eventually not be able to do that much cooking. Let her have her traditions for now. It’ll completely change all too soon and your husband (at least) will mourn her loss. If not for her, give this to him while you still can :heart:

6 Likes

I would say he can go to her house but I wasn’t going

1 Like

Well, you won’t be left with a big mess in your new house?

Do Easter at your house Saturday.

2 Likes

Do 4th of July and blow her away

2 Likes

Host every holiday. 🤷🏾‍♀ Screw her.

My mil is a control freak too, she can not stand when I say no :joy:

3 Likes

Is she so incredibly selfish that she won’t even consider rotating the holiday hosting at both your homes? And why isn’t your husband supporting YOU? That would irk me more than what his controlling mother is doing. He is married to you and he should be helping to find a compromise solution to this issue that everyone can live with.

4 Likes

Let her do it. There will come a day when she won’t be able to do it. Then you will get to do them all.

He’s being pathetic (the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree). My son and I love each other, but he would always support his wife if I was being an old trout!

1 Like

Let her do all the cooking and sit back and relax. Trust me. Lol

Make your own traditions for your own family.

3 Likes

Let her be until she warms up to the idea of change, I think she hasn’t accepted the fact that his son now has his home and own family she’s in denial. Until then let her be because there will be conflicts all over, please do not corner your hubby to choose between you n her as it won’t end well🙏

2 Likes

Tell hubs you will be doing a gathering at home and he is free to join her when y’all get done.

2 Likes

ok, so… not one person on this earth has any control over you. do whatever the fuck you want. grow a damn back bone, do something at your own house. if doesn’t matter if she’s doing something at her house, just fucking do it. if your husband wants to go to his mummy’s then fair enough, you can’t force him to be at home at your gathering. but nobody can actually stop you from doing something, you know that right?

Na I’d be doing it my house with my husband and people I actually like leave her in her own house

Every woman wants to host once in a while. Your husband clearly forgot who he shares a bed with​:rofl::joy: because he about to lose sleep over this. Just host one they will get over it

1 Like

Its your life do as you want and enjoy Easter with your kids. If he wants to go let him

1 Like

I’d host it at yours, if people still want to go to hers let them and just know that they ain’t worth it and yes that includes your husband. Don’t let her dictate your whole life cos people like that will and only get worse the more you let them control you. Good luck and don’t let her win :blush:

2 Likes

Go to her house eat her food drink her beverages and put your feet up if that’s what she wants
You’ll be going home to a clean house and have no worries about cleaning up
Family gatherings always always leave a huge mess for the host and you’ll be in here complaining no one helped you
You can even sneak a Tupperware and get some snacks for the next day - that’s what I do and I have no shame anymore
I don’t care what they say or think of me
My mil is a dramatic drama queen hubby is learning to say no to her but she’s so dramatic :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Host it at yours and if he goes to his mother’s lock the doors and let him stay there :rofl:

Sounds like MOTHERS day is going to be at your house :rofl:

6 Likes

Host an Easter breakfast

1 Like

Yea I’l be telling him its his choice.
if he wants to make a fool of u by backing mommy up whens shes clearly being a bully.
Yea he can go spend easter dinner at her home
Take all his stuff with
See if mommy’s willing to be his wife too
I’m sorry but im tired of these mommy’s boys with evil moms

4 Likes

Do it on a different day ! Have 2 dinners

2 Likes

Ask him who is is married to you or mama

1 Like

She needs to let go and leave you both alone. He’s a grown man not to mention married and in his own home… his mother cannot be controlling your lives that way that is pure hell!!! She needs to learn to let go and understand she cannot be telling him where he is going to be spending Easter because you want to host it screw that🤬

host Easter in your home as you please, nothing she can do about it except have a sook because you didn’t come like she wanted! Definition of toxic, I wouldn’t want to be around her.

1 Like

I would not go to her house and I would tell my husband if he goes he doesn’t truly understand the meaning of a partnership. He needs to stand by you. She sounds awful. On the other hand , you cam let her host everything and don’t help at all with the dishes or serving. Have a nap after dinner. Take advantage of it. Let her pay for the whole thing.

5 Likes

My mother in law has always been big on Thanksgiving everyone goes to her house but since I have my family as well my husband and I will split it go to her house first then my families after. I will have a Thanksgiving on a day prior or few days prior as my own tradition. Maybe you should do one the day before if he’s not willing to budge on not going to his mom’s the day of.

2 Likes

Keep the peace…family traditions it will be your turn

1 Like

I’d just invite any family you do want to see and let her know and be like “be nice if you came” :smirk::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Look who to say you can’t have 2 Easter dinners do yours on a different day enjoy 2

1 Like

So let her have easter and do the next big holiday at your house announce it really early to everyone do invites and the whole nine and put your foot down or she’ll always do this. Your husband needs to be locked out and ignored for a day or two then talk it out.

Maybe do a celebration on the Saturday? I know it’s not the same but maybe she has already got stuff in etc. Maybe suggest alternate years? So she does this year and you do next year? Or if she does Easter, you do a different holiday like Christmas or something. Maybe once your husband sees that you’re trying to move around her but she’s being unreasonable he will understand.

It’s probably something she has always enjoyed doing for the family that your now a part of. I know your excited now that you have the space to entertain. If it were me I don’t think I would rain on her parade if it means that much to her. I think maybe more harm than good would come from it, His mother is getting older and won’t one day be physically able to host family dinners anymore. In the meantime maybe you could have your parents or siblings over for a holiday get together and there’s nothing wrong with sharing the holidays with one side this year and the other side the next year. It’s obvious by what she said she is really upset. It may be she just loves hosting. You see it as a controlling thing and she may be looking at it like your trying to take the thing she loves most. I’m sure your husband loves you and cares about your feelings just like you love and care about his. But he still loves and cares about his mother too. Pushing to host this will only put your husband in a terrible position cause he loves you both. And forcing him to choose you over his mother will not make you and your husband closer. The hurt and stress caused will only distance you both. Getting what you want sometimes is not a win. Giving up something we want for someone else to have is a win every time. It never fails. Hope everything works out well for you. It’s just my thoughts. You have to do what you feel is best.

4 Likes

Make time to go and see her at a time that is convenient for both of you. Discuss the matter and reach a mutual understanding - maybe alternate special occasions, and clarify exactly which ones you will do and which ones she will do. Then stick to your undertaking.

You moved? You have a new home? Still in Barrie? Host another day and stick to your plan. Thanksgiving and Christmas and keep it at that. :slight_smile:

I had one like that lol good luck

2 Likes

If she’s having Easter Dinner on Sunday, you can do Saturday or Monday. I’d still invite everyone you want. As a child, our family did multiple dinners. I loved it! Your MIL sounds like a treat though. So good luck with that.

2 Likes

She sounds super annoying honestly :roll_eyes:

Tell him to go stay with her stand your own ground have a dinner without her he’s such a baby good luck

1 Like