My mother-in-law will not let me host Easter

Omg girl you indeed have a major hubby problem…and he is still attached to her tit…is he the only child if not how do the other siblings feel …you can always talk to his siblings and get close having bbqs with them and find out how they feel about having special dinners at your place the day before his mothers… Do you have a large family and do they live close to you…because you could always invite them for easter dinner on the sat and go with your hubby to his mothers on sun…he wont enjoy it as much since you already had turkey the night before…its obvious she has been hosting big dinners and loves doing it…but sometimes you just have to pick your battles i think its alot easier to have someone else cook and slave …my mil loved doing these big dinners until she got realky old…another thing to look at you could always invite his siblings over for brunches like thanksiving, easter, new years day…if they agree to it…maybe to start have a birthday celebration for your hubby with his siblings over…

1 Like

Tell him to sleep with his mama!

3 Likes

Uhhh sounds like you’re married to a man child… straight mommas boy. . no offense.
Maybe I’m just in a no bullsh!t type of mood but …
If this is a recurring thing, where he’s constantly choosing his mother over you HIS WIFE, then I would clearly state 1 of these 2 options …
1 —> “when we got married we became a team, where I lack you pick me up and where you lack i pick you up. And right now baby you’re lacking balls. You need me to man up and handle your mother? Cuz I can”
Lmao in a nicer way just say 2 —> “It’s me or your mom. If you choose mommy then pack yo bags and move back to her house”
…. Lmao Im definitely not the type to host an Easter party
:woozy_face::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Just have it at your place an invitewho you would like there … An see who turns up … let everybody do there own thing …:thinking:

2 Likes

My mom said there is the family you come from and the family you make on your own.
And it’s the family you make on your own that’s your responsibility after you leave the family you come from.
So if she can’t see things in a different light maybe compromise say can we host together ?

2 Likes

If she is hosting dinner maybe you can host a lunch and go there afterwards.

1 Like

Do it at her :house: let her deal with the mess :joy::palm_tree::hibiscus:

3 Likes

Have your own dinner another day with friend and other family members that weren’t at her dinner. It’s not worth arguing over.

1 Like

My cousin has been doing this for like 15yrs for christmas eve…she hosts at her house with her husband’s family first…they stay at their house for a few hours and leave to come to our grandmother’s. Split up the times to be at your in laws and host at your house with your family or do it the day before…i know MIL’s can be a handful…sometimes you just gotta choose your battles and find a good solution …

2 Likes

My mother-in-law was the same way, when I asked my husband once why he didn’t say anything when his parents put me down or got nasty he said because they were his family before me and the kids!

5 Likes

Host when she dies and be glad u don’t have the stress of it

3 Likes

When I was with my ex, we used to usually just go with his family for the holidays but we would go to my family’s for another day. We always made it work we would celebrate with his family one day and then with my family the different day. Like for Easter this year we’re going to my brother’s house for our family on Saturday because my daughter is going to be with her dad’s Family on the day of Easter.

2 Likes

Lose the husband who won’t stand by you.

Have a brunch at your house, then dinner at hers.

1 Like

I would tell your husband to grow some nuts and stand up to her ass. And I would tell my MIL to go fuck her self if she ever came at me like that. Start inviting people before she does :joy:

Host it at your house and invite who you want. If your husband goes oh well. You do you. My mother in law is like this. I didn’t give a shit. I’ve hosted every holiday I wanted/want since I have moved into my home. She’s never attended one.

Go and enjoy. Someday you will have to do it all.

You do know you can do your thing at your house regardless of what’s going on at her house. If your husband wants to go to mom’s house just let him know you’ll be home when he gets back.

Do yours same day, either before or after hers

I would be glad I don’t have to do anything for a welcome change

2 Likes

Mammas boy let go of the strings

Let her do it. She wont be here forever. Maybe do a Saturday BBQ or brunch. Thats just my opinion.

1 Like

I just went ahead and did it. My husband’s family is very set in their routines, every thing the same, every year for every holiday, down to the foods ppl bring. I beat them to the punch this year, my little dude is finally big enough to participate and I don’t want him to be stuck in the hosts house doing nothing.

1 Like

Agree, host a lunch and fill everyone up. With great food and times then send them to the mil with them full and tired lol.

2 Likes

Book a nice place out of town and enjoy a long weekend :smiley: that’s your 3rd option … and best in my opinion.

1 Like

Host. Who ever comes great. Who ever doesn’t thats ok too.

Tell your husband that he left mamas womb a long time ago and to grow TF up! Tell him to stand up for you or you’re gone! Clearly he’s a mamas boy and that should have been recognized and a red flag before you got married :woman_shrugging:t2:

Host a big Easter bash at your house! Invite lots of people! Let him go to his mums but don’t let it stop you! His FOMO will make him cave next time! :rofl:

2 Likes

i mean, i feel like a lot plays out in this. I stopped going to every single house that had to host theirselves, and my family and I stay home every holiday together now, more happy than we ever have been.

3 Likes

Stay home. Let him go to mommies.

1 Like

Host and if he leaves to go to his Mums pack his bag for the night. He can spend the night at mummy’s.

A husband should stand by his wife and support his wife. Being a Mum means that once your kids are grown they are going to make their own traditions with their friends or their partners/family.

Don’t go to her house.

Jusy do your own. Nothing no one can do.

Do you not have easter Sunday and easter Monday?
Or let her host easter and you do yours Good Friday.

Why don’t you start a rotation of holidays? If she hosts this year you do next year same w other holidays

Hmmmm idk I would have it at home and tell him to do both. I’m not fighting over it. But having been the person that has hosted many times if I could pass it to anyone I would. It is a lot of work and I look forward to hosting in the future but now it would be nice to go and just help. Itsounds fun but my goodness it is a lot of work and stress. Why take it on right now? BTW I totally think the husband needs to talk to his mom either way. But this could just be something super important to her. I know my grea grandmother and many aunts that hosted all the time until they were gone. The it skipped generations and came to me. I’m only 33 and have young kids. I would love to not host until my kids are all teens and above and I have more time and energy. That’s how our family was for many years and the women came and gathered and helped and cleaned up. (Some men cook too, but not many in my family lol)

Its a family tradition until your husband’s mother decides it’s not. Keep the peace and wait until the time is right. Its not time now.

1 Like

Have it at your house, whoever shows up shows up,let the rest go to her house, and tell your husband that when you get married you cut the apron strings from mommy

2 Likes

There’s got to be a compromise. How far are each other’s homes from another? Can one host a Easter egg hunt and lunch and the other host dinner proper. I honestly wouldn’t be hosting if it’s not my home. I mean you could be just as bad and tell her you won’t go to hers and make a stink about it. Roles can be reversed. Mama’s boy can go appease whoever. And who cares if she doesn’t come and makes a stink about it? Would everyone else come? At some point if everyone wants to fight this I’d stop going to anyone’s and do my own and leave it my own families. Which I pretty much do anyone because I don’t have this problem as I’m not invited to small holiday family parties since I don’t have a mommy and daddy anymore and haven’t since I was 11 and 19 and my mom and dad’s family don’t invite me to their smaller holiday get togethers. All I know for sure is I would not be hosting at anyone else’s house EVER!

Also, if there is kids and y’all do an egg hunt maybe compromise and have the egg hunt at one space and food at the other or something? Idk seems like a stupid thing to cause a wedge over between his mom and him or you and him. I hate that he’s caught in the middle of this. When he probably couldn’t care less.

Being so close to holiday, compromise and do it at your place next year…

1 Like

stay home, host your own, invite who you invite & let whomever decide where to go

Let her host. You save money cause you don’t have to buy all the food and you don’t have to clean every square inch to make it perfect

6 Likes

I would stay home cook dinner for myself. And let him go to Mommy’s by himself

2 Likes

Tell him marry his mother if he wants to make some other lady happy . And then tell his mother get faarrrked . Host your family and let him endure his shit family :grin:

Well guess we know who is number 1 in his life. He’s more willing to be apart from you so that he doesn’t hurt mommy’s feelings. Might be time for a therapy appt.do you can discuss this.

4 Likes

Think about it this way you will have a nice clean house to come home to instead of dealing with the cleanup after the party is over

4 Likes

My mother hosted every year we all looked forward to it. She is gone now and no one gets together. If she insist do your family and make your own tradition.

I personally think you should have it at your house or at least half the day at your house and the other half at your mother in law’s. I also think it’s bullticky that your husband wouldnt take your side and doesn’t want to get his mom mad. We don’t really go anywhere for Easter. Last year my grandma had us come over to do an Easter Egg Hunt for our kids (they were 13, 10 at that time and now they are 14, 11, and 10). This year my boyfriend has to work on Easter. Idk what we are doing yet… I know my boyfriend is getting tried of going to everyones house for the holidays and wants to just do our own thing. Last year thanksgiving we went to my boyfriend’s mom’s house (couldn’t got to my grandma’s because she had COVID), then on Christmas Eve we drove an hour so my bonus kids (boyfriend’s kids) could see their “Mother” (was supposed to go to my grandma’s house but she ended up spending Christmas Eve at my cousin’s house), we spent Christmas day home in the morning and the afternoon/night at my boyfriend’s mom’s house and December 26, me and my biological daughter went my grandma’s house for a bit and my mom’s house… The only holiday that we actually get to celebrate at our house is Halloween. We normally have a Halloween party about a day or week before Halloween.

Let her have Easter but send out your Mother’s Day brunch invites on Easter Monday lol :laughing: sike idk :woman_shrugging:t4: my mother in law & I are besties I can’t relate

2 Likes

The answer is simple. Go to her house and then host a huge event with all your ‘friends’ a day before or after each holiday. That’s what I used to do and we were all happy.

3 Likes

Sounds like you might be breaking tradition :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s a whole weekend and also a Monday , just pick a different day and everyone eats all weekend long! :heart:

3 Likes

Host a dinner the day before Easter. Don’t use her menu, call it a Spring house warming dinner. You can always let the kids do the usual Easter things. If that doesn’t walk, then just wait until next year and do it on Palm Sunday. I do things like this when I know someone on my guest list has obligations elsewhere. Good luck, keep the peace if you can, other wise it’ll get between you and your husband.

Some narcissistic ppl just have to have their way and steam roll over everyone and everything that stands in their way.

1 Like

That gives mother in laws a bad name. Shame on her.

Your husband needs man up and support you. Mommy is no longer 1st in his life the day he said “I do”. I’m a mother-in-law so I can say that and mean it 100%. It’s been a learning experience for me. My son was a momma’s boy, I raised him by myself and I had to relearn my place in his life. All mother’s need to learn that their children’s spouses come 1st and they’re not our babies anymore. Good :crossed_fingers: luck sweetheart I hope it works out.

6 Likes

Do a late breakfast at your place…turn it into a positive and be happy you don’t have to deal with all the cooking and clean up 🤷🏼 I feel like the older I get I choose my battles more wisely and refuse to stress myself out over things that really don’t matter in the long run. ESPECIALLY holiday things. Holidays are soooooo overdone and made such a big deal for 1 day and it comes and goes so quick. Who cares whose house it’s at. Put in your bid for next year or the next holiday. If you don’t have it at your house then u can focus more on the kids and the kids are what it’s all about. But hey that’s just my opinion.

Host a Easter BBQ or more relaxed dinner on Saturday go all out egg hunt etc. Then go to her house for the Traditional Easter dinner that she has on Sunday.

4 Likes

So don’t mention again. Go to this at her house, and start having get together at your house that is non holidays. This way just having a BBQ Saturday etc

Is it really a big deal if she hosts? If you host and she agrees to come, she’ll micromanage you. What does your husband think? If he really wants to host, then he should speak with his mother. Otherwise, you have to choose your battles. I agree that his mother is behaving irrationally, but Is this the sword you want to die on?

“Not let” you? Lol
She’s lucky to have you as her daughter in law. That nonsense would not fly with me. js

5 Likes

Simple- the mother in law hosts Easter and you host Easter Monday, that way you both get what you want :woman_shrugging:t2:

Geez it doesn’t seem she’s the type to negotiate or care of how others feel.

Try alternating holidays/years.
Idk if she would be willing to sit down and talk. Worth a try tho

host at your house. your husband wakes up at your house in the morning and goes to bed there at night. He can stop by his mom’s for awhile I guess but should help you host at your new home

1 Like

When you have your own family, that’s exactly what you do. You have all the rights to feel any type of way. The spouse comes first and your husband needs to man up. And your mother in law needs to understand that. She sound narcissistic and selfish and at this point, she is not celebrating what’s the meaning Easter is all about. She just doing a “get together”. She wants to act Christian but she doesn’t have any Christian meaning in her with that attitude.!

6 Likes

Grin and bare it one day she will not be there

1 Like

How old is your MIL? Perhaps, keep in mind that the years she can create holiday memories for/with her children, are limited, at best, and maybe that scares her.

1 Like

I would love it if ANY of our kids wanted to host ANY dinner.

1 Like

Family traditions are hard to take away from the elders. They look forward to fixing big dinners for their family.

Why she have to sacrifice for her mil? She bought a house and she wants to celebrate with family to. But to me honest, you just bought a house, you don’t need those negative bad energy in your new home. I personally don’t like people in my house, just our adult children and some “others people” but I don’t invite anyone to my house. So in reality maybe it’s a good idea. Enjoy your space, your home is yours temple, always remember that.
Don’t invite people in your home, who will bring nothing but bad juju.

To make a long story and history short…My kids get two of every holiday basically. One at home with me and their dad and one at their grandparents also with their dad lol.

Have a PRE-EASTER dinner on Saturday!:rofl: cook all the same dishes she’s going to, so hers will be like eating leftovers.:rofl::rofl::rofl: I’m so passive aggressive, it can get annoying, but this would be hilarious.

14 Likes

Just go to hers, pick your fights for something else. She won’t be around forever and you will miss family dinners…

4 Likes

Your family , your house, your rules, have your own family to make Easter dinner for. Invite who you want, if she chooses not to come , her problem.

2 Likes

Don’t go and host at your house and invite close friends and your family .

Grow up and realize that for a lot of mothers of grown children tne only thing they have left is to bring their kids, spouses and grandchildren back to share holiday meals. My mother and mother-in-law did the same thing, and on the same day, no less, so we had to attend and share TWO huge meals. They have both been gone for years, and I solrely miss them, but now I find myself wanting to insist that my grown children come back home for holidays. One day you will feel the same.

6 Likes

Do your own anyway and don’t go to hers
Invite all the same people and your own people too.
If your husband chooses to go to hers send him with a whole ham.
Beat her at her own game.
Maybe she’ll learn to split the holidays with you.

2 Likes

Jeez is it really worth the fight?

3 Likes

Tell her to suck it!!!

Easter’s on Sunday… Do yours on Saturday.

4 Likes

What a bitch… sounds like my lovely mil… sweet as pie in front of everyone and a viper when nobody can see her… I’d do a Saturday lunch dinner… I wouldn’t want her there

Pick a new holiday to host. Ask her to relinquish one, but I get it, if she’s been doing it, it’ll be hard for her to give that one up. Pick a new one to host, like Memorial Day picnic or something, then that one will indefinitely become yours. It’s a hierarchy, matriarchs don’t like to relinquish those holidays. Keep the peace, there will be plenty of chances and save your money, the clean up isn’t worth it :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

My mil is in her 70s and you never know how long people will be around so I encourage her to host bc it makes her happy and I like to see her happy and everyone together bc the end of the day that’s what’s important.

5 Likes

If its just you and hubby go on a holiday if you have kids remember the fight you have will also effect the kids

1 Like

We always went to my mom’s for at least ONE of her dinners. Her parents had divorced and remarried and each refused to go to any family gatherings where the other would be. My mother busted her azz to put together two celebrations for each holiday, one the day of and one the week before or after. For years I watched her struggle to keep the peace and accommodate everyone. Also my daddy and brother were city firemen and had always worked opposite shifts. I would not have dreamed of disrespecting her efforts of love. For most of my adult life I was a single parent and gladly participated in both events. After the old folks died off, she would still go all out for every holiday. After we lost mama, we all gradually drifted apart. One thing I promised myself was I would never put my kids/grandkids (or myself) in a position to feel obligated or pressured to choose on holidays. My kids and I strove to be as flexible as possible. I was fortunate as I always felt welcome at both girls inlaws gatherings and always participated in meal prep/cleanup/festivities. Usually most of them would gather at my place later in the day for (more!) desserts and beverages. The kids would always have a few presents to open and lots of pictures,
Holidays should he a time of enjoyment and love – never a competition or struggle to have to “choose”,

3 Likes

I would just host a house warming party and save yourself the drama with fighting over Easter.

4 Likes

Some one else wants to do they work I would say ok maybe you can plan a easter gathering later for kids like a egg hunt be creative maybe get friend from work involved ware you all buy eggs and fill and hide

1 Like

Think of this!!! There will be a day she won’t have the energy to do these dinners anymore. Let it be. Your time will come. I like what one person said about doing yours on a different holiday or just have everyone over later for a house warming. I understand how much you who like to host by your time is coming. Have a blessed loving Easter.

7 Likes

Host Easter dinner,if they don’t like it there loss

1 Like

Have your own on a different day, she doesn’t need to attend If she doesnt want too.

1 Like

Do it at ur new home

Let her have her holidays as she always has and then when something happens and she can no longer do it then you pick it up. Let the woman have what little happiness she can while here…

6 Likes

Let her have it. She won’t be around forever.

4 Likes

He needs to cut the cord…

1 Like

You ain’t gonna win sister. In a way I get it even if it gets annoying. I would plan a time to host a dinner that is not a holiday. My daughter just bought a house and wants to start hosting holidays and I passed the torch without any problems… partly because I am really fine with it but also I remember the decades-long fight with my mom over the same issue 

6 Likes

If your MIL is being unreasonable, have a good sit down chat with your husband. That you understand and respect his mothers traditions, you’re now YOUR OWN family in YOUR OWN family home and you would like to start your own traditions. Still invite the MIL and all his family out of respect. But whoever doesn’t show, doesn’t show. Your own family should be top priority.

2 Likes

Be her sweet daughter in law. All this is just petty stuff. Have your family come on some special day, like your parents wedding anniversary. Keep friction from happening. Your marriage will be happier.

5 Likes

I never argued with my MIL, I just let her host whatever, whenever then might have a separate date for another celebration. As she aged the family just gravitated to our home and made Peace.

6 Likes

You have dinner at your house and those that come great those that don’t sucks to be them!! My children would understand that we will be starting our family tradition in our home but would still make time for grandma. My husband would have my feelings explained to him in an none aggressive manner and it would be known it’s time for our family to have traditions.

3 Likes