My mother in law won't stop posting photos of my kids: Advice?

How do I ask my MIL to remove photos of my kids from her social media? She keeps doing this without my permission. I’ve asked her to stop and remove the photos so many times. She just says she doesn’t have to because they’re her grandbabies and she’s allowed to share them if she wants.

153 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/my-mother-in-law-wont-stop-posting-photos-of-my-kids-advice/21322

Wow she’s a proud grandma when my mom was alive I tried to tag her in her grandkids pictures whenever I could

11 Likes

report the pictures. bout all youo can do. less you stop sending pics or allowing her to take them…

7 Likes

Is there a reason why? I’m a proud Nanny and share pics of my grandbabies all the time but in say that if my daughter in law Gloria asked me not to them I wouldn’t.

5 Likes

Maybe ask her to only post one picture a month - try a compromise

Report every pic she posts. Fb will remove em. Hell you can report the profile. Fb will ban or even delete profiles. I havent had to go this far but i dont allow pics on social media either.

8 Likes

I agree with grandma. Last thing she needs is her sons wife telling her she cant post pics of her grandkids.

9 Likes

I would talk to her one last time and explain that while she is the grandma, she still needs to respect your wishes as the parent. Let her know that you’re not going to let it slide anymore and next time she will be removed or you could just limit your audience on posts pertaining to your kids.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry that you have a monster in law I stop posting pictures of my kids because my mother in law was doing the same thing just be careful to many sick people out there.

3 Likes

Another one of those “we need more info” posts :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: clearly to answer this everyone would need to know the reason why she shouldn’t because unless there’s a problem, that’s what grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncle’s, etc do because they’re proud and want to show off the kid. Its super weird if you feel like you can answer this question with certainty.

5 Likes

If it’s that important: She can either respect your wishes or she doesn’t get access to the kids. Your kids your choice. She doesn’t have to agree with it, but she does have to respect it.

13 Likes

If it’s on FB there’s actually an appeals page if the children photographed are under 13 and they act/respond and remove fairly quickly. I had to deal with this with my sister.

5 Likes

Some of you just assume she’s being horrible to grandma and not thinking about real issues here. There are tons of predators and people out there that target children when they see pics online and hackers can do a lot of damage. She may truly not want her children’s faces not on the internet for a while and that’s okay

12 Likes

Find a bigger fish :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Maybe she doesn’t want her child’s picture on social media yall… or maybe she doesn’t want certain people seeing and she can’t control that if the grandma posts them… I would have a serious conversation with her and possibly report the pictures as well til she does something.

6 Likes

I would try to reach middle ground by asking her to make a small group of close trusted friends and family to share the pictures to. No one she hasn’t bonded with in person.

I agree with grandma. Let her post pics she’s proud of her grand babies! :heart:

8 Likes

Do you share photos?

3 Likes

Is there a reaso for your being uncomfortable? Is it about safety ? I’m confused coz my mom loves pictures of my kids my cousins mom loves posting about her gran babies

1 Like

You could always block her. If it’s a situation that’s dangerous, like she’s sharing the pictures with a family member that’s a pedophile, or she’s maliciously posting not because they’re her grandbabies, but because she wants to make you look crazy, blocking is perfectly reasonable.

4 Likes

I don’t know why everyone is siding with grandma, I don’t like anyone besides myself posting pics of my kid either. At least I know who is on my friends list and who’s seeing the pictures.

I’d report the pictures, and if she continues after telling her again limit contact.

People need to learn to respect boundaries

14 Likes

All these people saying grandma has a right to post smfh. There are aot of people who don’t want their kids online and limit what gets posted. Just bc your grandparent doesn’t mean your entitled to post pictures if your kids ask you not to. Especially if they aren’t super choosy about who they have on their friends lists. There are too many creeps out there. And the bottom line is it’s a respect thing. Respect the boundaries your kids set for their own children. Report all the pictures.

10 Likes

Do you post pictures of your kids? I’m guessing yes. Then don’t try to control her posting her grand babies pictures. To me it just sounds controlling.

12 Likes

So she can’t be a proud grandmother?? I don’t see the issue I’m sure she has it set for her friends and family to see only I mean my fiancé lost both his parents I wish I could have met them and when we have kids I wish I had a mother in law that was excited to be a grandma

3 Likes

The question is why ?
Do you have social media and do you post photos of your children on there ?
You should be happy she is proud of her grandchildren there is lot who are not

5 Likes

She should respect the fact that you do not want pictures of your kids on social media, if she was doing that to me and my kids , she will not be allow my kids , then she will have not pictures to post

4 Likes

I think your jealous and controlling and I also think there is more to the story than your telling!

12 Likes
  1. If you post them and she shares them, there is nothing you can legally do. Just change your settings or block her from your social accounts.
  2. If she is uploading photos that you haven’t post go to Court.

Your the parent and she should respect the choices you make for your kids. Especially when it comes to safety and their privacy.

Personally, I have said that no one is to post anything of my kids without asking me or they will be blocked as my son has stated that he doesn’t like photos but, also for my kids safety and privacy as well.

7 Likes

So are you posting pics of ur kids ?? If u are than why can’t she

3 Likes

I have a question or two. Do you post pics of your own kids? If no, then I could almost understand. I personally dont see how seeing a pic of a kid online is any different than seeing one in person in public somewhere for everyone to see. Do you keep your kids home out of the public? Be thankful that you not only have a MIL, but one that wants to be involved, loves your kids and wants to brag on them. Is this a jealousy issue over social media attention she is getting for your kids and you arent?

My gawd, I have 3 sons, therefore I have 3 daughter in laws, if any one of them asked me to stop posting pictures I would ask first WHY ??? Obviously I want my friends and other family members on my side to see my beautiful grandbabies. Do you have an issue with her or what is the deal ??? Do you post pictures of your kids, we need more info

4 Likes

Glad I’m not this petty with my MIL :flushed:…life is too short to be such a difficult person

10 Likes

Don’t let her see or share the pictures. Block her from your page. Don’t let her take any pictures either.

3 Likes

I just told our family members that I can control who sees what on my own social media but I can’t on theirs and I don’t like the thought of people I don’t know having access to my children’s photos.
MIL or not if she won’t stop sharing photos, stop sharing them with her.

7 Likes

Sounds like there could be more to this than meets the eye? Do you get along with her besides this disagreement?

You don’t ask her stop. Be thankful she is proud and in their life. Their are many children that would love to have a grandma in their life.
Pick your battles. She won’t be here forever.

9 Likes

Same…. Comes down to if you are posting pics and it’s not a safety issue for you then why do you care🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m speaking from experience! My ex-MIL who sees my kids about twice a year, despite living in the same town… shared all my statuses about my kids with things like “Grandma’s girl” or “So proud of my grandson” and comments on Al my pictures just the same. Annoying, yes, anyone that knows me or her knows she doesn’t have a relationship with them🤷🏼‍♀️ So just letting her be the fool! Pick your battles I say… this one is one I have chose to let go👍🏻

1 Like

Well technically she’s right she can post photos of her grandkids online and technically if you have a problem with it you can limit her access to your children if she doesn’t respect your wishes :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

What does it matter? She loves them too!

3 Likes

If it’s out of your control, give it to God. Choose your battles wisely. I stopped reading after the question and advice. I didn’t even need to read your explanation or “reason” to know that this is gonna be drama in the making or trivial.
And it is.
To be honest, or straight up, “Grow up”. You sound so immature. :100::100:
They are her grandchildren and you should be grateful you have someone who loves them enough to even want to prob show them off! Really!? You got issues and a problem with your MIL that has nothing to even do with the pictures honey.
Sorry but not.
You need to go find yourself. Seriously.
Good luck & BEST wishes! :four_leaf_clover::kissing_heart:
God Bless! :heart::pray:t3:

8 Likes

Stop sending pics lol

Stop letting her take pictures of them and don’t share pictures with her.

4 Likes

What does your husband think ? He is obviously letting it happen too

You sound delightful

5 Likes

Stop being a helicopter mom…be happy family loves your child

4 Likes

It’s different if you don’t post pictures of your kids. But if you do I don’t see the big problem. Sounds like she’s a proud grandparent.

8 Likes

Wow, doesn’t sound like grandma is the problem here :eyes: I’d kill for my mother to give a shit about my son, but she don’t. Be grateful she loves your kids

1 Like

Do you not like your MIL? Do you post pictures of your children on your page? Is there a reason to why you don’t want her to do it?

2 Likes

Wow!!! They are her grandbabies!! YOU would not have them if it hadn’t been for HER SON!!!
:heart::heart::heart: She’s PROUD OF THEM!! Grow up and let her be proud!!!
If she DIDN’T post them, I bet that would bother you too because you would think she WASN’T proud of them. If that’s all you have to complain about then trust me, you have a wonderful mother in law. You need to appreciate her!!!

1 Like

I am a Grandma and not allowed to post. It’s awful for me looking at everyone else’s grandkids and wishing I could too. No one will ever see the pride and love I have for them.

3 Likes

Report the photos to facebook

4 Likes

sanctimonious,deceptive synonyms for the word She is being

1 Like

You should be proud that she is so proud of her grandchildren to want to share them. Don’t be such a Karen

7 Likes

Nope I’m with you I don’t post my own children on social nor does my spouse so therefore we ask hee not to.

5 Likes

She’s absolutely right :woman_shrugging:t2: nothing you can say or do about it.

3 Likes

So she can’t be a proud grandma smh . What she getting more attention posting them then you smh
I’m a grandmom I’m so glad I can post my babies… :revolving_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
all 14 of them

7 Likes

Report the pictures to fb, stop sending her pics, block her from your pics. You can also give her a warning and if she does it again stay away for a few days and extend that time everytime she refuses to listen to your boundary.

7 Likes

I wish my kids had loving grandparents more than anything in the world. My mom passed, my dad lives 8 hours away. And my fiancés mom also passed. So our daughter doesn’t have any. Pick your battles. I think you should be thankful and grateful the kids have the extra love from them. It’s a blessing.

14 Likes

I don’t see the issue here, I’d let my mil post pics if she wanted, same with my mother. My mother has posted my kids more than once. They’re her grand babies and I’m sorry but she’s got a point. Maybe ask to set some boundaries, but don’t stop her from sharing.

None of these really seem like advice but more shaming? Who knows what the reasoning is behind her feeling the way she does. In any case if she won’t stop then stop sending her pictures or allowing her access too your social medias where she can take and repost if that is an issue. Just because they are her grandchildren doesn’t mean she can go over what mom or dad say. :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

Are we serious? :roll_eyes::face_exhaling:

3 Likes

You’re hellllla weird for not wanting your childrens gma to share the love she has for your babies. HELLA weird.

11 Likes

This is honestly sad. I wish my mother was still here to be able to show off pictures of her grandbabies, but she didn’t even get to meet them. If that’s all you have to complain about, sounds like you have a pretty great MIL and should be more thankful.

7 Likes

I understand. I’d just stop posting or sending her pictures or even block her from seeing them.
I’m to the point of not even posting pictures of my daughter on here. I’ve had several people take them and show my ex and his family or repost them. They haven’t had anything to do with her since I broke up with him, which was when she was 6 months old, she’ll be 7 in November. He saw her when she was a little over a year old, when we went to the child support office and promised to be in her life, that he wanted to know her. I said as long as it was supervised, it was great. Then nothing. Back when I’d post pictures of her or even myself, his sister or other family members would message me talking shit or have someone do it for them. Never did figure out who was doing it. Now I just very rarely post pictures of her. If someone wants to see her or know how she is, they can ask and try being in her life.

As long as the privacy is set to private and not public, what’s the issue?

Then don’t let her take pictures of the kids and I don’t put my kids pics all over social media great place for sick ass people

You can Report the photos as a minor under 13 and fb will remove them.

All these “They are MY grandkids. I’ll post them if I want” posts are so toxic if a parent asks you not to put their kids on social media, respect that boundary.

17 Likes

Absolutely :100: because the child is under 18 there are ways to have it removed from Facebook. You just have to submit a whole thing and prove your identity and birth certificates to FB and they will remove any photo of your child that you do not allow. DM and I can help you find it but a quick Google search is ll it would take. I had to do it for my daughter.

5 Likes

I dont ever share my grand babies pictures without permission because you never know who will see it and ive seen people steal pictures and use like they know the kids or claim they need money or the kid is sick etc. I get where you are coming from. Posting children’s pictures publicly can cause problem. I will sow them to people and send via messenger but never on my fb without asking. May be my grandkid but not my child so not my choice. They dont share many so i respect it.

9 Likes

Why don’t you just asked her to set them to friends only, or help her do that.

If you don’t want your children’s pics on social media then you definitely have that right. And need to get hubby involved in this issue as well. But just be aware if she wanted to she could keep posting them and block you from having access to seeing them. ( I had that done to me by someone, luckily a person told me that was a mutual friend on social media) I’m not saying that’s the kind of person she is but if someone is that adamant they can go to extreme levels to get their way.

1 Like

And to all the “grandparents” complaining on here there are lots of sick disgusting weirdos. Most of you older folks don’t know how to lock down your fb to make it very private. On top of that. As a mom I don’t know who you have on your fb etc.

14 Likes

She does not respect you at all. Sad

3 Likes

When does a grandmother need permission to post pictures of her grandchildren I’m sure you’re really a blast to be around. You stated your kids , which probably means you’re no longer with the father of these children. This grandmother has as much right to brag on them children as you do.

6 Likes

There has to be some kind of reason. Do you not post your kids? If you don’t then I get it but if you do. Why can’t she?

1 Like

Did you kidnap your kids or are they in a Protective victim situation?

3 Likes

I wish my kids grandma would share pics of them

3 Likes

If a parent asks you to not share photos of her kids. That’s the mothers right of privacy for her and her kids. Once you post pictures on social media, it’s there forever.
Now imagine creeps saving those pics, it would be your fault cuz you posted them.

9 Likes

Why do you not want her sharing photos with her friends?

4 Likes

Complain to the Facebook Police. They could make her remove it and put her in Facebook jail for a few days.

1 Like

For goodness sake grandma, my son & his wife told me not to as well & I don’t dare do it, you have to respect the parents choice, STOP being foolish & childish about it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

Mmm ur kids ur rules!

2 Likes

Well with all the creeps out there ask if her page is private start over with the conversation about why you feel it’s unsafe

1 Like

I think it’s ridiculous you’re making this a big deal. She loves them and wants to s show them off. What a terrible mil she must be🤦🏻‍♀️

9 Likes

You can report them. Everyone is asking why she doesn’t want them instead of just respecting her wishes. Y’all just as bad as the grandma. No one is entitled to do as they please regarding someone else’s kids. Some people don’t want their kids on social media at all. Some grandparents are dead beats with zero involvement in their grandkids lives but want to play worlds best grandma/grandpa online. Whatever the reason is, it’s her decision.

14 Likes

Sammie Marise Williams does it bother you when I post photos of the girls hun?

1 Like

Mil’s that can’t stay in their lane :face_vomiting: I’m no contact with my mil

1 Like

You absolutely have a right to choose. And there is an option to report it on fb as I sure there is on other social media

She loves your children and is so proud and happy to be their grandma. Are the pictures inappropriate? If not, why does it bother you? The posts can be private so anybody cannot view them.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Tell her about all the pedophiles look at those pictures and share on their disgusting web sites. How many children are watched by child abductors and wait for a chance to take them. Maybe she will stop.

1 Like

Lead by example. Set that boundary with every family member, not just grandma. No pics of my kids on social media. Stick to your own rule as well. There are sickos out there, yes. Pick your battle’s with Mom in law. Be glad she wants to show pride in her grands.Teach grandma to use PRIVACY SETTINGS when she posts of the grands.

3 Likes

Keep reporting her .

Maybe HER SON gave her permission to post HIS KIDS? Why do you moms think y’all own the kids?

11 Likes

Secretly change the setting to only me

1 Like

Assuming you and dad agree and have stated before not to, Stop sharing them with her and if she won’t follow your wishes then she doesn’t see them. People got to quit advertising kids and personal info. The world is a sick and dangerous place.

5 Likes

Then I’d be limiting her exposure to the kids. Including media. Restrict her from viewing. Flag Facebook for stolen content.

7 Likes

Tell her your concerned about sketchy people seeing the pics and may you fix her computer where only family can see. My daughter did this for me. I didn’t even know it was an option. She may not be tech savvy. If she still refuses don’t give her any more . Tell her she is disrespectful and untrustworthy.

4 Likes

Brooke Ballos PROUD GRANDPARENT!!! NO–she is a very disrespectful woman .She is not the parent and has no right to go against there wishes.

2 Likes