My neighbor always let's their grand-daughter enter my back yard without permission: How should I handle this?

I have a lock on my gate so my 2 year old grandson can’t get out cause he can open the gate on my chain fence. And with it lock no one can come in with out me knowing.

2 Likes

When she comes over I would tell her she can’t play here right now and to go back home. Or put some type of lock on the gate.

3 Likes

I had this exact same problem. I let her mom know that she was t allowed here unless we asked. That my kids don’t always want her here and that she could no longer come over uninvited. And that until she learned to play nicer she would not be asked to come over. She hasn’t been back

2 Likes

Lock the gate! If anything happens to her in your care they can sue! If she comes over again I’d walk her right back to her yard! Your not a babysitter!

4 Likes

This could also be an insurance problem. I would def talk to the grandparents. If she gets hurt on your property they can sue you.

3 Likes

Put a lock on the gate and tell your neigbor i will not be responsible for your grandchild and you should always ask permission first thankyou kindly

13 Likes

Get a different lock.

2 Likes

I agree put a lock up. Talk with grandma and tell her if you dont call/text me then she can’t come over. If they don’t, return her and if no one is home. Call the police. You cant take on someone else’s child without an agreement.

No child is showing up to my house without parent contact. I’m not going risk being sued. I wont let them run around town but ill sure call the police if they can’t be bothered to watch their kids. #notmymonkeynotmycircus

4 Likes

Get a lock for your gate & Also speak to the grandparents you can also say you don’t feel comfortable with everything going around right now. You have every right to tell her no it’s your home your kiddos.

3 Likes

It depends on the little girls’ age as to if she understands what exactly you’re saying to her. Especially if her parents haven’t taught her manners as in being invited somewhere ect. Best bet would be talk to the grandparents and try to resolve it together. Maybe the little girl will learn something good out of it that will help her make and keep friends in the future.

1 Like

lock gate. we had to due to a few neighbors down had a son that would open the gate and we let our dog out, so without it shut he could run away

Hence the ask first, no not today I’m busy, tomorrow would be better

Rough call because you don’t want to alienate your neighbors. BUT, it is “your” child in danger because of an open gate. I’d lock the gate and, if questioned, explain that your little one thinks an open gate is an invitation to make the great escape. No need to even mention the other negatives.

1 Like

Be mean and send her back home! I just yell at the kids that come over to my yard. They know I’m nice but they know I’ll yell at them like I yell at my own kids.

1 Like

Put a lock on the gate

3 Likes

Put an eye hook lock on your side of the fence. Problem solved. Want the kid over open it. If not lock it.

1 Like

Lock key gate? maybe something like that might help. I think with this they will get the message.

Stop what you are doing, walk the little girl back over to her grandparents house and have a kind conversation with them about how you don’t mind if she comes over sometimes but a call ahead would be appreciated. Also, get a lock for your gate.

11 Likes

Put a lock on the gate. Then she has no choice but to ask.

I had to put a lock on my gate at my old house, there was a boy that was 3 when he first moved in about 8 houses up and he would come into my backyard and play while we were inside eating dinner. I would be at the table and see him in the yard, I had to wonder what he would pull when we weren’t home until one day I found him on my sons tricycle out front of his house with his mom. She knew darn well it didn’t belong to them.

1 Like

Just explain to the grandmother she needs to call you first or walk over and make sure you’re okay with the child being there. Also ask the grandmother to talk to the child about how to play with other kids (not so rough). I’d go ahead a put a lock on the gate so the child can’t invite herself over. If she’s just staying with the grandmother maybe talk to the parents

Lock the gate so she cant get in

Lock. Your. Gate. Simple.

Put a lock on the gate .

I suggest just talking to the neighbors first and asking if they could give u a heads up before she comes over. If it continues to be a problem, lock the gate.

Get a lock for gate keep it locked all the time it’s what I had to do. And I have cameras.

Combination pool lock

Put a lock on the gate and say your kids have discovered how to open it!

Lock the gate. Nice that she wants to come and play but needs to learn she cant all the time

1 Like

How would you handle your kid doing this?
In this instance you should treat her as your own, teach her how to behave properly.
Next time she comes, have the conversation with her.
Should the behavior continue after that you need to communicate with the Grandma.

1 Like

Try talking to her grandparents & add a lock on your gate.

Lock the gate and tell the grandmother to stop dropping her responsibility on you, shes not your kid if you dont want to look after her…dont…as soon as she comes over send her home

1 Like

Tell the kid she is not aloud there anymore. Tell her to go home.

Lock the gate and tell them their grandchild leaves it open and you can’t allow it anymore for fear of your children. If they get mad they get mad.

2 Likes

Ur giving the child mixed messages saying it’s ok one minute but not the next the little girl is confused :roll_eyes:have a word with the grandparent if ur children are happy playing with her let them if not keep her out

1 Like

I would put a lock on the gate and shame on those grandparents for taking advantage of you.

You should have a lock on your gate anyway tbh

1 Like

Sounds like the child is lonely. But maybe chat with the grandmother and tell her next time can the child ask to come over

Lock your gate and when she comes tell her we are not having company

1 Like

Put a lock on your gate And speak to the grandparents she should not invite herself over thankfully she hasn’t hurt herself or your kids Yet explain her rough play that should fix her, if you speak to them xx :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Put a lock on the gate

1 Like

Tell her she can’t play today and that she has to ask before she can play with them. Put a lock on the gate.

Put a lock on the gate. If you don’t mind her coming over let her in. If you’re busy or don’t feel like it that day just say “sorry not today we’re busy” .

I would put a lock on the gate and politely tell her not right now

The fact that she doesn’t know any better is a sign she has no one to teach her. Maybe you’ll be that one person she learns manners from.

1 Like

Lock the gate. Don’t make it personal. No explanation required.

3 Likes

Brooke Jason Sartain I thought of you

Yep, lock. Don’t feel bad.

1 Like

I get it! I have a neighbor who does pretty much the same except the girl will ask if mine can play, if I say no she will go home and come back every 15 minutes until she doesn’t see me than just invite herself over and boss my kids around

I agree with other commenters…put a slide bolt on the inside of the gate. If she should happen to cry…don’t give in. Go in the house for a few minutes till she leaves. Shame you didn’t mention the girls age. If she’s 4-6 yrs old…she may not remember what you said about the gate and leave it open. Now me? I don’t depend on talking to kids…little or big. I would go next door…and no matter how Sweet grandma is…her grandaughter cannot just come over. She probably is babysitting but can’t seem to entertain the girl…so she lets her go over to your yard. Like one person said…" She’s probably lonely…" maybe an only child?

1 Like

If you say something and they take it offensive, then you have a awkward living place

1 Like

Lock the gate and don’t let a child dictate what you are doing. Not today!!

2 Likes

Yes for sure a type of lock with combo or something for adults only .

If you want to be polite about it and not make it awkward, just put a lock on your gate and tell grandparents you had to put a lock on the gate because your kids are learning how to open it. Then when the little girl comes to play and you don’t want her there, just let her know that your kids can’t play that day.

5 Likes

Put a lock on your gate

1 Like

Take her back and explain to both her and the grandma that turning up anytime isn’t ok, it could be she is sneaking out or something is happening in her home she’s feels the need to get out.

2 Likes

be an adult and walk over and talk to the grandparents nicely about the problem and yes put a lock on your gate so she can’t just come in. And if she does just walk her home and tell her now is not the right time to play maybe later

1 Like

Get a lock on the gate, it’s not your responsibility to watch someone else’s child.

Put a lock on the gate and tell her no, not today.

2 Likes

Maybe trying saying “not today, maybe tomorrow”. Assert some boundaries.

2 Likes

Put a lock on the gate and when she tries to come tell her its locked we aren’t having visitors maybe next time

3 Likes

I’d lock the gate but also let her know to knock on the front door instead of just walking in, or knock on the gate instead.
I’d also bring it up with the grandmother stating that it is a concern that she’s going off by herself and you aren’t always sure if she knows and it tends to be unexpected.

I get it my 2 kids were outside playing in the water ran in for maybe 1 min to get Popsicles and came out and there were 5 extra kids. I played 20 questions with them gave them each a Popsicle and told them they are not allowed without me talking to their parents 1st.

Higher fence and move entrance gate and leave locked :lock:

1 Like

tell the little girl that she needs to ask before coming over. either to call or knock on the gate before opening it.

Can you put a lock on the inside of your gate so she can’t open it?

5 Likes

I feel just be very open and honest with the grandparents. Just let them know your concerns and you are worried the kids will get out or hurt. And just let them know that she is welcome to come and play but it needs to be planned . You can be honest and be nice and respectful. I definitely understand where you are coming from

1 Like

Put a lock on your gate. Then she has to ask to come over

2 Likes

Just send her back to her grandmas

Ive been in this situation.

1. Put a lock on the gate. 2. Tell the little girl that you enjoy her being at your house but if she doesnt respect your rules then she goes home. 3. If it’s not a good time, tell her, and say when it is, my kids or you will get her.
5 Likes

Put a lock on your gate.

4 Likes

1st put a lock on the gate so she can’t come in. 2nd if it’s a day you don’t want her over and she comes to the (locked) gate and calls to come in let her know you are working on thing’s and she can’t come in today. Then walk away and ignore her if you have to. She’s just a kid wanting to play but even kid’s need to learn we can’t always do what we want.

1 Like

I’d say put a lock on your gate. It also sounds like this poor little girl has not had anyone in her life to teach her boundaries, how to listen, or manners. And how she handles your youngest sounds like a representation of how she is treated. Most kids are corrected of that kind of behavior early on but she clearly hasn’t been or doesn’t care. And the fact that her grandma isn’t watching her or caring where she is outside is a little alarming.

1 Like

Lock :closed_lock_with_key: the gate. Problem solved :relieved:

1 Like

Same thing happened to me with my neighbours three boys and my youngest got out and was missing for ten mins , was the worst ten mins of my life so I got a bolt and out it on my gate where they can’t reach it and no one gets in or out without me knowing I think maybe u should do the same

Easy, lock the gate. Then maybe a sign that says do not disturb and welcome to play on the other to hang on the top of the door.

2 Likes

Send your kids over the grandmas house to play lol but I would honestly get a lock so the girl has to start asking to come over, and I would go over and talk to the grandparents.

3 Likes

Grow some balls and face off with the grandparents. Be honest with them and it will be for the best.

Put a lock but also talk to the grandparents about it

1 Like

I would walk over and just nicely tell them you need a heads up when she wants to play and if she could knock on the front door thatd be great because you’ll be locking the back gate since it’s being left open for your youngest to walk through

Add a latch that is hard to open

1 Like

Lock on inside gate. Also speak with the grandparents and explain to them.

1 Like

Put a dead bolt lock on that bitch​:rofl::skull: but really just locked it and when she comes over just tell her your kids can’t play today.

1 Like

Ask the neighbor to come with her and watch her. If she wont, tell her the little girl cant come play.

2 Likes

I would put a lock on the gate and when they say something just say hey you need to ask before entering my yard. I need a fence to keep my neighbors kids out of my yard. For now we put our pup out and they stay away… he scares them 30lb poodle who loves attention terrifies them :rofl::joy::woman_shrugging:t3: good luck

1 Like

Lock the gate and tell her grandparents they should ask if she can come over from now on because you guys are busy and can’t always watch their grandkid.

2 Likes

Easy, add a lock above the lock.

1 Like

Lock the gate and when she tries to come over and you don’t want her to say so. If her grandparents won’t give her boundaries, you’ll have to cuz it’s your property. How many times has she come in the yard when y’all aren’t there? What’s gonna happen if your kids go into their yard and get hurt?

1 Like

Lock the gate. I had a neighbor that did this and my husband didnt want to cause waves by letting me talk to the parents. The kid came in my yard and my dog bit him while in a fenced in yard and on a dog lead. We were sued and a child was hurt. I wish everyday I would’ve went and talked to his parents or put a padlock on my gate.

1 Like

Tell her grandparents, unless she is invited please keep her out of our yard…simple as that…

1 Like

Put a lock on your gate.

4 Likes

I’d be so annoyed! I used to have a neighbor a few doors down that’s daughter would do the same. And it was really annoying. Only I didn’t want her over at all bc she was a brat. Lol. She’d knock on my door a million times and jingle handle if it was open she’d let herself in slowly… It got annoying quick and I too didn’t wanna be responsible for another child. My daughter was an infant at the time plus a babysat a toddler at the time as well. I’d go tell the grandparents as kindly and thourogh as possible ur concerns. If they don’t listen call the cops.

2 Likes

Tell her to go home and maybe she can play another time.

3 Likes

Where do they do that at??? I’ve never heard of something like that, those kids must be having problems at home to make them go to strangers, I feel bad for the little girl and even more so that you are likely now going to start locking the gate

Put a lock on the gate and send her home.

1 Like

Put a lock on the gate and tell her “sorry we can’t have visitors right now”

1 Like

I would speak with the grandmother. Approach the situation with a positive attitude and let her know you love having her granddaughter over and the kids playing together but would feel
more comfortable if she’d just ask to come play so you know she’s out there and can know to keep an eye on her if need be. Let her know if your not out there you would hate for something to happen so would like her supervised at all night but to please ask first. It’s a win win!

5 Likes

You tell the kid “it’s time for you to go home now”. That simple. I was the neighborhood babysitter too…like their kids would walk to my house uninvited and mom would just leave for hours. Somedays I was okay with it and other days I wasn’t in the mood. It’s okay to be the adult and tell kids that aren’t your problem to go home.

2 Likes

Put a lock on the gate.

Get a lock on your side