My new neighbors are loud and wake my baby: Advice?

My new neighbors are kind of loud and we just had a baby…i think they stay up all night and work during the day…my issue is, they keep waking baby, her room is attached to theirs…the walls are paper thin…what can I do in my babies room to cancel out the noise? i am scared to use a fan because i dont want her gettign too cold…

55 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My new neighbors are loud and wake my baby: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Don’t face the fan on her.

1 Like

White noise machine.

8 Likes

Get a white noise machine have a polite conversation with them about just having the baby and the noise. Most people respond better to a calm conversation rather than being confronted by a person who is at their wits end.

4 Likes

Sound machine. Try to hang tapestry or sound proofing decor.

1 Like

I’d first try talking to your neighbors. Explain to them that you aren’t trying to come off as ridiculous or anything, and even say I know you aren’t intentionally waking my baby, but our walls are super thin, is there any way you could try to be a little quieter?

9 Likes

Move her crib to the opposite wall and get a white noise machine.

15 Likes

Run a fan on the floor, facing away.

1 Like

Face fan away from her.

2 Likes

Switch rooms with the baby, play baby music or something. I’m trying here. I used to put mine to sleep and clean the house :person_shrugging: mine were constantly sleeping through noise.

10 Likes

Get ur baby used to noise. I used to play la la bye CD on repeat all night and all day

4 Likes

Sound proof panels, fan (facing away from baby woth door open so that it’ll blow down the hall) or a white noise machine (that may not be loud enough)

3 Likes

Egg cartons if you can find someone that has a egg house. Or order you some

1 Like

Go and Talk to them?

5 Likes

Get some cork board for that wall!

She’ll get used to it if you let her

4 Likes

But I would ask the neighbors if they could be a little bit quiet.

7 Likes

Fans actually help reduce the risk of SIDS tremendously

23 Likes

Getting the baby use to noises will be beneficial in the long run.

11 Likes

She won’t get cold if you put the fan facing another way that’s not towards her, I live by a hotel and it’s noise day and night we live behind it so I had a baby and I did that and I don’t hear a thing wen we fall a sleep

4 Likes

Swap rooms, have baby room with you, sound machine, move the bed further from the adjoining wall, talk to the neighbors. And last, But not least make a complaint to the landlord if the noise is loud and after hours. Or just find another place to move if possible.

4 Likes

Switch room with her

1 Like

Sound Machine, I’ve also heard fans are good in baby rooms. Something about the cool circulated air reduces the chance of SIDS. I’d say do both and use footie PJs to keep baby warm.

2 Likes

I second the tapestries on the wall and making sure the bed isn’t against the wall they share. If you have smart devices (like a Google) you can have it play certain noises all night. I have a Google mini in my room and it plays thunderstorm sounds while my sons plays ocean sounds. A fan can’t hurt, either, as long as the baby is properly dressed :heart:

Sound proof panels and work with helping her sleep through noise. It’ll make a difference as she gets bigger.

White noise machine. Amazon for like 20 bucks

Get your baby used to noise, I cannot stress this enough. Both of my kids I got them used to music and I would play it at a decent volume. Whenever I would put them down to sleep I would turn the tv on for background noise as well. Noise is everywhere and we always had neighbors that were loud. :woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4: But that’s just me or switch rooms with her and get a noise machine.

6 Likes

We play a blizzard sound or thunderstorm sound . White noise makes for better sleeping

I recommend a fan m. Honestly I slept with one from when I was young and still do. I have a 10 year old that has been use to it and won’t sleep if she don’t have one going

Sound machine for white noise

Have her sleep in a different room…or use a sound machine or…if it is a problem you can inform the property manager about that.
The more noise the baby sleeps through now the better.

Swap rooms and a loud fan.

Sound proof panels on that wall. Sound machine or fan. A fan in babies room isn’t a bad thing. Just don’t have it blowing directly on baby.

1 Like

Get a white noise, and talk to the neighbour’s. I’d also let your landlord know if it carries on

1 Like

Knock on their door an tell them shut the hell up have some respect it’s the middle of the night

3 Likes

She will get used to it and be a better sleeper in the long run.

3 Likes

I work midnights and on days off I still vacuum at 3am. My kids sleep right through it because they are used to blocking out noises

5 Likes

Ask them to be quiet :thinking:

Get a Hatch baby sound machine!

Noise machine and swap rooms!

Baby will get used to it, and its better that it does.

6 Likes

Fans are better for babies, the air flow helps reduce SIDS. I read somewhere that over heating is worse than cold, as babies rarely die from being too cold. Overheating is the worst.
I use a fan, just make sure it’s blowing away from baby and its noisy (AC fan works nice for me, a cheap Danby).

Doesn’t sound like they are doing it on purpose maybe move the room or baby will have to get use to noise

1 Like

Get her used to sleeping with noise going, it’s great when you can vacuum and they still don’t wake up

6 Likes

Call your landlord…in apt buildings there is quiet times…if it doesn’t stop and they sleep during days…start pounding on their walls…maybe they will get the hint.

4 Likes

Move her crib to a different wall in her room, or put her in a different room. Talk the the neighbors and ask them to be quieter during such and such time’s, talk to your landlord and last but not lease talk to your local law enforcement non-crime because there should be a “quiet hours” time set.

1 Like

A fan is fine. Cold air is better for people anyway.

3 Likes

Maybe move the baby to another room… even make a space in a big closet. Don’t shut the doors, but try it

1 Like

White noise. You don’t want to have to tiptoe when baby is sleeping. Get baby used to noise or move to a house. Unfortunately apartments you don’t get as much of a choice when it comes to noise and you share walls

8 Likes

Definitely get the baby used to sleeping through noises now otherwise she will wake at every little thing.
Give it time. She will adapt and adjust, as will you.
If it becomes too much, maybe try switching rooms

4 Likes

Sound machine works great. It sucks right now but she will get used to it and be a better sleeper. From the way you put it, it doesn’t sound like they’re being obnoxious or doing it on purpose

3 Likes

Wow the entitlement here is over the moon, no one should accommodate their lives because you chose to have children. They’ll get used to it, you’ll live, the baby will live… Everyone will survive this :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Find ways to dampen the sound! Like, put things up on the wall and add soft things around the room. think someone said white noise machine. Anything that can help.

1 Like

White noise sound machine. Our counselor has them and you can’t hear anything from one room to the next. Plus they are very calming

1 Like

Have the fan blowing out of the room. Better for her anyway, noise and air circulation. Also, won’t make her cold

3 Likes

Yes babies definitely adjust quick to noises and it is better for them to be able to sleep through them when my son was still a baby we lived pretty close to a train track and the first few night were rough for me and him to adjust but we did and now both my kids can sleep through their dad yelling at his video games at night lol

2 Likes

Get a Yogasleep machine ( white noise machine ) . It helps !

If you’re in an apartment, consult your landlord. If they’re violating a noise ordinance, you can also reach out to whoever handles code enforcement where you live.

1 Like

I’ve used a fan wth 3 babies since birth. Cooler room with good circulation it actually better for baby

Find a thick but cute quilt or blanket to hang on that wall. Or cover that wall in those colorful foam squares. They’re made for the floor but they should help with the sound

Your baby will adapt or put her crib by another wall. If you tip toe around your baby they’ll wake to every little noise. I played music kinda loud so our baby would get used to the noise. Our baby sleeps good with noise now. The fan is good for them too. It circulates the air so they can breathe better too.

I truly believe having them getting used to sounds like that makes it easier for them to sleep in louder environments

1 Like

I hate to say this but the world doesn’t stop when your baby goes to sleep. I had a neighbor call the police on my husband for cutting the grass at 2:00 in the afternoon because it was their toddlers nap time. You could always talk to them. Maybe they don’t realize

8 Likes

Switch rooms or call the office

Definitely white noise machine and play music too. Move her crib to opposite wall Of room if possible

8 Likes

My daughter in law uses this!

1 Like

I think it’s disrespectful when people do that. They only think of themselves.Talk to the landlord.

• baby will get used to noise.
  • talk to your neighbors and ask politely if they can be mindful. If they choose not to, let them know there’s no hard feelings. You just wanted to communicate.
  • hang a blanket on the wall
  • move the crib to the other side of the room.
  • use a fan but point it away from baby
  • use a white noise machine (i have one from skip hop).
1 Like

Use a fan, the baby will be fine as long as you don’t blow it in their direction. I highly suggest teaching a baby to sleep with noise because your life will be easier.

10 Likes

I just point the fan away from my kids but have it on for noise. They do get used to it for the most part though as they get bigger.

Babies are born with no literal or in any other way/form sense of time-night from day, concept of time, etc.
The world doesn’t and won’t stop just because your baby is sleeping.
Imagine if everyone in the world had to stop what they are doing or tiptoe around a sleeping baby…

4 Likes

Switch her room with yours and/or get a sound machine

You will need to get baby use to several noises. Start with louder music while you’re putting her to sleep.

1 Like

I don’t know about noise cancelation, BUT, I found it easier to raise babies around noise so they will always be able to sleep through it. It’d harder to keep kids asleep when it’s quiet. It will take a bit but it’s worth it. Put a fan, music, or TV on near the baby

12 Likes

It it’s not a new noise…but baby has experienced the vibrations and noise this might just work it self out quickly.

1 Like

That’s why parents drive the baby around or run a vacuum sometimes

play soft music in baby’s room while they fall asleep, get a white noise machine, or turn on a fan with it pointed away from the crib. no one is going to stop their lives for a sleeping baby that’s not their own, and that’s just a reality. get baby used to louder sounds like vacuuming and tv and such during the day. eventually they’ll acclimate to their surroundings and it’ll all be normal for them, even at night.

2 Likes

Get some acoustic baffle and install on your side. They use it in studios to dampen noise and stop bass etc from traveling. It really does work. Then you can both live happily! No need to even bother them. I’m sure you can buy from Amazon, and you could spraypaint it whatever colour you want if you don’t like the colour.

One of my clients tiptoes around her kids when sleeping and they are THE WORST SLEEPERS. Start introducing louder noises during naps etc will help. They adjust and it doesn’t affect their sleep. We always used a meditation binaural beats track, and a small fan. She sleeps like a rock :joy::clap::heart:

How about talk to the landlord n get them to quiet down by a certain hour I mean my house hold is loud to n have had complaints n we shut it down at a certain hour or you could just talk to them n hopefully they’ll compromise

If you don’t want to use a fan, you could always get a white noise machine? Though I’d honestly just use a fan and have it facing like the corner away from her or something; most babies actually sleep better if it’s slightly cooler in the room VS too warm if it makes you feel any better

4 Likes

I mean they can still have fun but turn down the noise by a certain hour gotta respect the neighbors to I feel bad about being noisy all night so we just quiet up

Sound machine and let your baby nap around noise. The world isn’t silent. They need to get used to sleeping with the noise

7 Likes

First baby for me, I tiptoed around noise. Now, I don’t have that luxury with the second one and it has been so much nicer to not worry about it. She sleeps through everything pretty much, I totally recommend

9 Likes

The baby will get use to it. The baby can’t tell

3 Likes

Babies need to learn to sleep thru noises. You could just switch rooms with your baby and she has your room and you have her room.

6 Likes

White Noise machine or like the womb sound, waves underwater on a speaker

3 Likes

I have always made sure I’m loud when my kids are babies. They learn to sleep through noise and it makes life easier when they are older and your trying to get things done while they are sleep

7 Likes

Get the ‘Hatch’ it’s amazing!

1 Like

O that’s what I’ll have to do when those lovely horrible noisy cars come by

Baby needs to get use to noise or bubs will be forever waking to anything and everything!
But is there anyway you could swap rooms with her maybe?

3 Likes

No joke, the vacuum put my 4 week old to sleep lol. Looked it up & apparently the womb is about as loud as a standard vacuum :flushed: your baby shouldn’t be sleeping in silence anyway

3 Likes

Change rooms or talk to the neighbours

2 Likes

I used fans and she would wear a sleeper. My monitor also tells me the temp in her room. When she was really small I had a fan not pointed directly at her but it also improves their oxygen levels. My daughter is 3 now and insists on two fans lol :joy: white noise, classical music, etc. baby will get used to it eventually. We have lived in apartments since she was born and this one we live in now, it’s usually us waking her up! But she has a lot of sound in her own room with her music and fans. She’s old enough now to tell me what she wants to wear to bed. I usually dress her how I dress to bed. As a baby I would put her in a sleep sack or a button up/ zipper sleeper. As she got older she had good neck control and I tucked a soft airy quilt around her crib mattress so it wouldn’t move. But I waited until I saw that she could move the blanket on her own. Having the fan was the best because it was a win for white noise and eventually she wanted it right on her and can’t sleep without it lol

3 Likes

I always played soothing music. Nick Lacey has a nice album full of lullabies. I played that to my son. With others I played the radio.

3 Likes

Put a radio in her room , i did that with both my kids . They can sleep through anything , its always better to be noisy than to be completely silent otherwise the baby will wake for every little thing .

3 Likes

A white noise machine and could you switch rooms?

2 Likes

Baby will get used to it. We sleep with a fan. My 11 month old and my 3 year old sleep through my mans loud ass alarm clock and i mean i can hear it all the way downstairs. I just had my baby 5 days ago and she’ll end up getting used to it to. It’s annoying to have them waking up.
I would put a fan in the room. Apparently it helps reduce the risk of sids to

White noise machine??? Or put music on to drown out the neighbours… your not doing yourself any favours making everyone “be quiet”

4 Likes

White noise machine if fan isn’t an option

1 Like