My newborn will not sleep at night and my husband and I are exhausted: Advice?

Unfortunately that’s the life of a newborn sometimes! I’m dealing with the same issue. I just had my baby girl via csection on the 1st and she sleeps so good during the day, then barely at all at night.

give her one of your worn shirts so it has your scent on it and sleep when she sleeps… thats the best advice i ever got… try swaddling her with a blanket that youve snuggled with so again it has your smell and also cuddles her.

Buy a co-sleeping crib. It was a life saver. It scoots right up next to the bed, so she can be close… but you still get your own space. You can probably find a used one for cheap. Also, look into Nuby calming tablets. They help!

Sleep when she sleeps during the day and push through the nights. She’s still figuring it out. Don’t try to keep her up during the day.

2 Likes

You sleep when she sleeps and stay up with her during the night

3 Likes

She’s only a week old so u have to know that you aren’t going to sleep right for the next couple months…maybe. so don’t think your baby is keeping you parents up at odd hours. You are on her schedule and must feed and change her every couple hours . Maybe wrapping her a little tighter in her receiving blanket and getting a rocking cradle helped me get an extra hour and also that green pacifier from the hospital helped too. Good luck and Congrats on your baby girl😊

Welcome to motherhood. Not all babies are the same. My first one was exactly like this for the first 2 years of her life. She never slept longer than 1.5 hours. The 3 kids that followed never gave me this problem. Babies only get one long sleep for the day, you need to try to get her to take it at night. Alternatively, sleep when your baby sleeps. Share the bed. Don’t make it harder for yourself than you need to. Your baby wants comfort, you need to provide it.

1 Like

only been a week!! She will settle down!!

If she won’t sleep at night, keep her awake in the daytime, as much as possible. You want her to sleep better at night?? Then let her take shorter naps in the daytime…newborns are hungry every two to three hours, so you have to take into consideration. Sounds like her days and nights are a little turned around.

1 Like

She’s only a week old, give it a few more and her hormones will start to kick in which will tell her to sleep more at night.
My daughter always woke up the second she was put down, but she’s 9 weeks now and only wakes up once in the night unless she has wind or teething pain.
What you’re experiencing is normal.

2 Likes

What about having her bassinet next to your bed and lay your arm around her like you are holding her? Or maybe a cosleeping crib so she feels like she is sleeping with you?

3 Likes

She’s a newborn, welcome to motherhood. This is your new normal now. This is why I started bedsharing when my son was around a week old. It’s the only way anyone got any sleep at all. He didn’t start sleeping more than 2-3 hours at most until he was 16.5 months old.

3 Likes

Have her ears checked!

2 Likes

Well it’s a baby, so​:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’m sorry you were misinformed about newborn humans😂 my advice is to help her natural circadian rhythm by having outside time, keeping it bright and sunny during the day andvet dim in the evenings. It’ll take a while for her to adjust. Breathe. It won’t be like this for long.

2 Likes

She’s a week old. Try and relax and remember it’s not forever. She was in your tummy all along and this is all new to her. It’s a bit too early for a routine and for now I’d say sleep when she sleeps. I know it is annoying when people say that coz you have to have a bath and do dishes and cook etc but I had twins and I slept when they slept otherwise I would have ended up climbing walls.

2 Likes

My daughter was born in the middle of night & she’s always been a night baby. She’s 40 now & still stays up all night. Best advice, sleep when she sleeps.

1 Like

I know you’ve heard this before but I promise it will get better. I was you 8months ago, hang in there she is still so little and could possibly just want to sleep on or with you. Give it time I promise :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like you need outside help. Meaning you need a Grandparent, Aunt, Uncle, cousin, best friend, somebody you pay. To come and help you, like I was told after my C-section it a major surgery not to be taken lightly. You can have all types of issues after having one. Ask for help, and your husband should have taken off a couple of weeks to help with the new baby. There is no real sleep schedule when they are that little, just do like everyone has been saying and sleep when baby sleeps. That really does help, stuff around the house can wait. You need to rest.

2 Likes

I co-slept in a different room for the first few months until bub got into a pattern

2 Likes

She’s a week old. Research sleep training to reverse the cycle and remember babies are not easy, especially newborns. You shouldn’t plan on getting any regular sleep for a while so come up with a routine and take turns with your SO on baby duty.

@takingcarababies on instagram.

Sounds a little like she has day and night mixed up maybe…this is common when first born. U are doing great momma . I know it’s hard ask a friend or family member to come over and help you guys maybe ? Give yourself a hot shower and a nap. Baby will learn. Call ur pediatrician for advice. When in doubt I call and I’m not embarrassed about my questions or feel like a burden because I want what’s best for my kido. Keep up the great work and in time it will start to get a little easier. Good luck

Lol so what my husband and I did was I would stay up all night with the baby then he would take care of her in the day only wake me up to feed her then I’d sleep more

1 Like

Maybe get a co-sleeper. It goes right beside you on the bed and totally safe for the baby. No one will roll on her bc it’s just big enough for her. I would try that and cuddle with her at night while she’s in that laying beside you.

No! That’s what happens when they are that young. You sleep when she sleeps.

4 Likes

Sounds funny I know but hear me out

My brother did this and so my dad asked around and a grandparent said flip the baby all the way around in your arms …it worked he fell asleep at night it wasn’t perfect he woke up a little here and there but was on a schedule within a week…it sounds crazy but it worked and there os no harm in trying🤷‍♀️

PL don’t sleep in the same bed with her I hear bad things all the time

My daughter is now 14 months old… I still get up at 3 am…i tell her that she better not give me shit when she wants to sleep in once she starts going to school :joy::joy::joy: ive honestly become used to it now. Yes im tired but the bonding that i get to have with her and her knowing that im gonna be right there for her when she needs me, i wouldnt trade for the world. Just be patient and remember if u need to put her down and walk away to relax you can its okay to let her cry for a little bit. Babies can sense when you are stress out. Make sure to do ur check list of her needs. ( diaper change?, hungery?, burp?, cold/hot?, ) best of luck :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

All these advices are good, no one said anything about food. Are you watching what you are eating. It is also digesting time at night .

1 Like

O digesting works better when they are on their belly. A healthy baby should have " belly time". They will not suffocate, a healthy Baby can lift its head and turn to the side .

It’s going to be a while. Babies don’t come programmed to sleep. She was literally inside of your body last week and it was warm and there was food on demand. Now it’s cold and she only has you guys to rely on to know when she’s hungry. A side car is my best suggestion.

4 Likes

Be loud during the day with bright lights and darken everything at night as well as being quiet. We got my son on schedule at 1 month but he loves loud sounds so my husband play video games to get him to sleep.

1 Like

So sleep during the day and let dad sleep at night while you slowly adjust the baby’s schedule

2 Likes

Swaddle her at night, keep waking her periodically during the day. Fill her stomach before bed. She’s gonna wake up every 3to4 hours to eat and get changed. What ed n she can be bathed use lavender its calming. When my kids were a month old they would get a bottle with cereal in it than a warm bath and off to bed ,they slept great.

1 Like

Try putting your shirt that you had on that day in with baba when you put her down, so that she still smells you. Every baby is different but this seems to work for us.

New born do not sleep at night.

1 Like

Swaddle and paci. Newborns are trying to adjust to the outside world, so the longest youre looking at is 3hrs. Maybe 4 but it’s recommended to wake them up to eat every 2-3hrs when they are that little. Its tough, but it doesnt last forever. Newborns were used to you moving and walking around when they were in the womb which is essentially why they love being rocked. Same sensation, you were rocking her all day so they sleep all day and kicked all night. Just feed her and change her before putting her down. Dont forget the swaddle they are lifesavers

Well newborns don’t have routines. It’s normal for them to wake up every 2-3 hours for a bottle or breastmilk. However it sounds like your bub has colic or reflux Have you used grip water to your baby? It helps the little tummy!
Or, if you breastfeed her, check your food. My boy used to do like that whenever I had milk or cheese for the first 1.5 months. I found this when he was 25 days old.

We have experienced this till 8 months with our lo. She would be awake from 10pm to 10am. She had her night routine by 9th month. Be positive (though it’s difficult) she will sleep at night soon. Sometimes all they need is warm wrap n mom’s lap

I’m sorry mama. I remember this all too well with both kiddos. Its exhausting but you got this. Sleep when she sleeps. Fuck the housework for now. Soak up the snuggles and sleep with her during the day if you can. You got this

She’s one week old. Her days and nights will adjust it just takes time. Just hold her all night. No shame or guilt, she needs you

Sleep when she does. She’ll be sleeping longer throughout the night in a couple of months or so…

My daughter had to sleep in a rocker bundled up. The openness of her crib and bassinet scared her. The rocker was small so she was kind of in a little nest and she would sleep a good 3 hours at a time. My youngest almost killed me lol she was the same but around 2 to 3 months she adjusted and started sleeping better

She’s only a week old and likely won’t sleep at night until she 2 YEARS old lol. No 1 week old baby likes to be away from their mama and there’s absolutely nothing “wrong” with her. This is what newborns do and all you have to do is do what you can until this stage is over. It won’t last long even though it feels that way now. I co slept with all 4 of my babies since day 1!!

My baby is 18 months and I’m still exhausted.

1 Like

If you have a reached a point where you need time alone. Make sure baby is fed, dry and put her in her crib. She will cry but that is ok. Close her door. Lay down and rest mama even if it’s only for 10 minutes. Baby will be ok.

1 Like

She’s brand new and is used to being with you all the time. YOU, as the parent, need to adjust to HER. Hate to say it, but most babies change their sleep patterns all the time. It’s annoying, exhausting, and comes out of nowhere. You can’t change her at the moment, she is way too new. Try sleeping during the day with her so you aren’t as exhausted at night and your hubby an sleep ar night. It will get better, you just need to find something that works for you.

It looks like you have gotten lots of advice but I will just say my two youngest kids were like this and swaddling them and having them sleep on a slight incline helped so much. They both had reflux and it made it impossible for them to sleep laying down flat.

Get a family member to help immediatly

1 Like

Try switching her around, I mean where is head is put her feet there. Sounds crazy butit helped me when my daughter had day and night mixed up. Give it a whirl.

You’ll be exhausted for a long time better get used to it. You can try putting a shirt near the baby or even holding her and giving her a paci when shes in her own bed

I got a bassinet that vibrates and has music and it also rocks. Keep it close to your bed . So you can rock her. You do know that newborns need to eat every two three hours. You can’t expect that she sleeps thru the night just seems like a ridiculous idea. Also newborns Ike to be close to you because that’s what they are use to she did just come out of you. I had a c section as well. I slept when the baby slept makes life easier. Please stop having unrealistic expectations of a newborn.

She needs to be flipped