My nipples are cracked from breastfeeding: How can I heal them?

So I am 9 months into my breastfeeding journey with my daughter, I breastfed my older 2 for a collective two and a half years. I have never experienced cracked nipples like this before. It hurts to nurse and pump. I’ve already lost a huge portion of my supply. So two questions. 1. How do I heal them?! I’ve aired them out and tried lanolin. 2. How can I increase my supply if it hurts too much to nurse and pump? We’re not ready to be done!

20 Likes

Try applying a warm compress with your own breast milk it was the only thing that healed mine.
I’m sorry Momma, I know how painful that is. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve heard of mom’s using lanolin cream and nipple shields

1 Like

Lanolin cream by landinoh works the best. I had the same issue when I was able to breastfeed my daughter. It’s safe for the baby as well. I also use it on her lips when they get dry.

1 Like

A tea bag moistened with warm water will help soothe the pain in the nipple. From there is it warm compresses, nipple shields and lanolin cream. There is a tea to drink to help stimulate milk production. There should be a local breast feeding Association you could contact for more help…

1 Like

Omg. Use some of your breast milk and rub it on your nipples. It has it’s own oils that will heal them.

1 Like

Wet tea bags will help.

You might have thrush(a type of yeast infection) there are baby safe nipple creams

Lanolin to help with the cracks and keep an eye on redness/itching for possible thrush. Hand express some milk on your nipples and let air dry. You can also put coconut oil on flange so it glides a little easier while you heal. unfortunately if you aren’t ready to wean you have to nurse/pump through it and figure out what is causing it to prevent further damage. Both of my kids had tongue and lip ties so I’ve gone through months of being cracked and it sucks. Best of luck to you.

Best thing is your own milk… after pumping and nursing rum them with your milk… heals real fast and it’s all yours that won’t effect your baby. Lanolin works too but when my lactation consultant told me my own milk will do the trick… it was a no brainer… good luck

3 Likes

I remember a friend of mine putting cabbage leaves in her bra … sounds crazy I know but helped her x x

Use the nipple cream as often as you can, keep them slathered in the stuff at all times. Still pump and feed as often as you can, even just for a couple of minutes, it will keep you producing milk. Just increase the time as much as you can at each feed/pump. Dont over do it, when you hurt too bad, stop!! Your body will make more and more milk when you get back to “normal”. Heck, I havent pumped for about 6 months and sometimes when my son is real upset I’ll still leak. It’s what us powerful Mama’s are made for. You got this girl, good luck!

Lanolin was a lifesaver!

Rub your milk on them before and after every feeding, it’s like magic

3 Likes

My midwife told me to take fenugreek to help with my milk supply on my 4th and last child I hardly had any milk until I took fenugreek supplement, fed him until nearly 3.

May need to drink more WATER, cut out all caffeine (this includes chocolate)

Keep them lathered in lanolin and use a nipple shield until it heals.

Lanolin and rub a little extra breast milk on them

Your breast milk is the best thing to use. Or they sell ointments at that store

1 Like

Lanolin made my nipples so much worse! I was an exclusive pumper though… the ONLY thing that helped my nipples, and was safe for breastfeeding, was a prescription for nipple cream. Once it healed with that, I used Boob•ease nipple balm and it was WAY batter than lanolin. Lanolin was the devil.
As far as increasing supply, try power pumping once a day for a week. Power pumping helped me after failure from fenugreek and other money I invested into brownies and such from Milky Mama or something. No products ever helped me increase my supply. Just power pump and loooooottttttssssss of water!

Lanolin cream… if it’s bad try a guard? Pump from the side that craxked

Breast Milk for sure

Use the breast milk…it will heal them.

Could you possibly have a yeast infection on your nipples? After the initial pain of getting started, the only time I had pain like that was the one time I ended up with an infection because my little was on antibiotics and got thrush.

Your own breath milk

Sounds like you have infection…

I drank body armor (the hydrating sports drink) to increase my milk supply and it more than doubled it. Lanolin is all i know for cracked sore nipples.

2 Likes

Earth Momma Nipple Butter. First time momma here and when i was breast feeding and pumping, this stuff was my holy grail.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JVCBBG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lu0hFb3CME03Z

Lanolin. Took a day or 2 to work, but was honestly like heaven once it did. And you it’s safe for breastfeeding so you don’t have to take it off.

A nipple guard may be helpful while they heal. However, I think you should see your doctor in case there is an infection.

Lanolin or coconut oil

Keep using the lanolin and try a nipple shield temporarily until you heal up!

Put breast milk on them and let it air dry. Do it after every nursing/pumping session. It takes time but it works.

3 Likes

I would use lanolin or coconut oil and then do warm compresses while it’s on there. Make sure you wash or wipe off before nursing again. Then reapply once you’re done nursing

1 Like

Lanolin made me so much worse. Found out I was allergic to an ingredient in it. Use your breastmilk and also this stuff is AMAZING!!

1 Like

There’s a prescription nipple cream you can get (I forget what it’s called) it helps alot!!

I had trouble with this when I first started nursing my son. Lanolin didn’t work but I got immediate relief using boobease. I got it right from target and haven’t had an issue since!

Lanolin and soothies gel pads best thing ever alternate when using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KGHUL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FB1hFbHBTKGJC

Coconut oil will help

Udder butter works great!

i want to share an amazing experience i had with the almighty Priest Agbaka , my wife filed for a divorce i was really devastated i cried day and night everyday i told a friend of mine about the situation and he told me about the powerful spell caster Priest Agbaka i was feeling a little bit skeptical about it but i just decided to give him a try i did every thing he asked me to do and he promised me result and the next week to my greatest surprise it was my wife on her kneels begging me to forgive and accept her back i’m so happy all thanks to Priest Agbaka he can also help you and he assured me that he could also help with the following.
Court case
Divorce
Health problems and more
email him via dragbakaspells@gmail. com or WhatsApp him on +2349039343473

1 Like

Lanolin is the best thing i found but if this is a new thing talk to your dr could be thrush

Mothers love. Target sells it. It’s so amazing. Works right away. Use before and after nursing. Safe for your nugget to inject :slightly_smiling_face:

Nipple shields SAVED me during breastfeeding. I wouldn’t have made it without them. I used the full shield when pumping and the half’s when nursing. Lasinoh brand lanolin was the ONLY lanolin that worked for me. Tried a different brand and it was NOT the same. Hope one of these suggestions gets you where you need to be!

4 Likes

Express a little breastmilk and rub on and let it air dry before applying lanolin. Also, I would definitely check to see if you possibly have a yeast or other infection. Good luck!!

7 Likes

Nipple cream. Make sure you have the right fitting flange for your pump that can cause issues. Try hand expressing to stimulate milk production.

3 Likes

Maybe a nipple shield. I’ve never used it but I’ve heard other mommies have and worked well for healing. Good luck :slight_smile:

Talk to your dr. And drink alot alot of water. When you think you have drank enough double that! Breast milk is mostly water. Thats how i got my supply up. For the nipples it seems like something more is going on, so i would call the dr.

1 Like

This happened at the beginning of each time I started breastfeeding. It’s very painful. I used Lanolin and it helped but I actually had to lessen time on until they healed. I swear my fenegreek tea . It helped with supply. Being that your baby is older, your supply may be naturally dwindling since he is probably eating solids too. Try to give it a break only when he is actually nursing , not longer

If they are really bad then you can get a steroid/antibiotic compound prescription ointment. That’s the only thing that helped me.

1 Like

For feeding u can use nipple shield…it helps in healing…n use apply breast milk itself n let it dry …or else dry desi ghee also it works…i had this problm with both of my kids… creams n all did nt work for me… never try to pump it worsens the condition

I used to leave the milk to dry on my breasts it is a great healer. If this bub is causing this after success with your first I would see a lactation consultant or health nurse with regards to latch. Sounds similar to me. First bub was like a dream second bub I had all sorts of issues and it was his latch

6 Likes

I had a huge open sore on mine and I used triple antibiotic ointment and just had to clean them before pumpings or feedings and mine healed within a week.

Breast milk and or the nipple cream the hospital should have given you or you can get it at the store cvs Walmart etc or maternity stores or aquaphor but with aqaphor I found my son he didn’t like it when he was hungry so just try to temper to wipe it off before feeding and rub breast milk on it before feeding or pumping

1 Like

Use cream for sure and make sure you’re using after every pump/feed also make sure there’s NO milk on your breasts after feeding because that contributes to it a lot. But definitely contact a lactation consultant

I used the Medela soothing gel pads anytime I wasn’t actively breast feeding or pumping (or in the shower) and mine never cracked or really even hurt and I breastfed for a little over a year. My sister in law is due any day and I told her they are a MUST HAVE lanisoth or whatever it’s called makes some too that work just as well

Also try using a little breast milk on them it helped me
Without pumping or nursing it can be hard but maybe in a hot shower “express” urself that can help.
Also i dont know how well they work but they make mothers milk teas and cookies to help also

Use warm wash cloths and express some milk before nursing and try different positions when nursing (sucking from a different angle) helps with the pain. Poor momma. I remember that pain!! :astonished:

Have you considered that your baby might have thrush and it has transferred to your nipples? Please check with your pediatrician. If that is what is causing the pain, it is treatable!

This is what happened to me. It was so painful to nurse, I just cried every time. By the time I figured out what was wrong and got treatment for baby and me, it was too late and I couldn’t get my supply back up.

7 Likes

Are your nipples a red color or look irritated. I got thrush (yeast) in my nipple once. My baby didn’t get it though for some reason. I used apple cider vinegar then kept coconut oil on it. Went away after a few days

2 Likes

Your own breast milk is hands down the best way to heal your nipples. I nurses my five children and this was the best advice I ever got!

1 Like

More lanolin. Seriously. I had a tear in mine that the doctor said needed stitches but I didn’t want to quit breastfeeding and I lanolined my way through that sucker. If you think you have enough, still put more on :joy::joy:

1 Like

Silverettes. You can find them on amazon. They’re a little pricy but used a lot in the UK. My lactation nurse told me about them, they worked for me when nothing else did.

Breast milk rub a little over them after feeding. It’s magic stuff. You can also use it on stretch marks and it clears up conjunctivitis

4 Likes

My dr prescribed Newman’s breast cream and its amazing. Antibiotics and pain relief so it can get rid of thrush if that’s a problem and it’s safe for baby

gel pads. my previous assistant nurse manager is lactation certified and came to my house and brought me gel pads, she said moisture therapy works better than the lanolin cream.

1 Like

Lanolin, my baby had a bad latch and severe lip and tongue tie. Even after releasing his latch never got better due to a vaulted palate, but I’m still nursing at 23 months. Get those thing looked at. And yes it still makes me cringe and it hurts but it gets better after the initial latch.

Body armour drinks helped my milk supply. Bag balm is great and can also be used for diaper rashes just be careful that your little person doesn’t swallow a lot of it. I would also see the Dr just to rule out thrush.

1 Like

Check baby’s palate.one of mine had a high, arched palate that made her latch off center at times. It was never super comfortable to nurse her, but if I was careful with latching I didn’t break down.

Bag Balm you can get.it almost everywhere. It comes in green tin

1 Like

Increasing supply , oatmeal , water , high protein snacks and or meals cranberries mixed with flaxseed (add em to your oatmeal )

1 Like

Breast milk should help them heal and oatmeal can increase your supply.

Bag balm. You can get it at any farm supply store. Walmart may have it, we don’t here (tx). It works wonders!

Gel pads did wonders for me. Have you tried gel pads?

2 Likes

seek medical attention to void bacterial infection. express milk into your palm and rub it on your nipples, allow to dry. make sure to change breast pads so that moisture isn’t trapped in your bra. pump and bottle feed until it heals. feel better soon, mama!

Does baby have thrush? When mine got that it tore my nipples up so bad

1 Like

Yes, lanolin for the cracking and have you tried fenugreek for supply? Lactation cookies help a bunch too but best I found was Domperidone for supply… I bf with many issues for 4 1/2 years total so feel free to ask anything if I can help! Happy breastfeeding!

Breastmilk let it dry and then lanolin. I breastfed all 5 of mine. When I got sore that was my go to.

I used a nipple shield during breastfeeding until they healed up

1 Like

A South Africa trick is to put cold cabbage leaves on them. Not sure why but it works. Also baby bum cream is amazing.

Warm Cabbage leaves… boil them til they are look warm, n apply… use a hand towel to help with the leakage, n beware after about 10 minutes it will stink to high heaven… so remove n repeat if needed… when i breastfed my kids-oldest 4 years, middle 4.5 years… n my youngest for 3 years… my midwife told me about this. Something in the leaves help with any blocked duct u may have by drawing it out… sounds weird… but it worked for me…

Coconut oil just keep reapplying all day long even between feedings and push through it. You’ll be healed soon

Could be thrush we’ve had that twice in our almost 2 year journey. It was painful and lanolin did not help at all

I had this problem and it was yeast my baby had thrush and I got it on my nipples

I used a combo of medela ointment and coconut oil. Does your baby have lip or tongue ties?

There us a cream out there I believe it’s called utters the tubing is black and white designed to loom like a cow.

There is nipple cream for breastfeeding it protects…

The nurse told me when I was in the hospital that breast milk is the best for them.

I stopped feeding when that happened. She had already had ‘me’ for months, that was the sign to stop for me, need to look after yourself too.

I used Lansinoh after every feed while they were healing. also tried shields, but only one of my babies would suck from them. good luck

My husband got me this cream that they use when milking cows… I was NOT amused but after spending a fortune on other things I was desperate and used it… It worked better than anything we got from the doctors.

Try alternating breasts breastfeed on one than the other sometimes just that little bit of time in between helps wonders

Use jojoba oil! It will help and it is safe for you and baby.

Maybe breast shield and also make sure the baby has a good latch on the nipples

Have you checked with your doctor? There could be an infection or something that needs to be treated in order for them to heal properly.

Rub breast milk on ya nipples. That substance is not only good for bub, but mum too❤️. Nipple shields are good too

The baby might have a tongue tie. That’s what happened to me with my second, the bleeding and cracking stopped after we had it cut

your nipples have a natural antibacterial property. you do NOT need to wash them ever, even during covid-19.

There are cookies to help the supply or you need to do is back them