My parents always come over unannounced: Thoughts?

Just find a new place and move, problem solved

Just remember u get one mother,I would give anything to have mine back,she could come and go as she pleased!..when I lived close to her my Dad and mom came and went whenever they pleased,I didn’t have a problem with it,ever!..each to their own I guess,what works for one doesn’t work for another! Life is short!:blush:

Y’all gotta bounce! She feels the entitlement because it’s her home, and even if you are paying rent that will not change. I know a couple with an extremely similar story, they ended going out of state and just starting fresh without having to worry about her family barging in. They ended purchasing their own home and I know for him, it was a big sense of accomplishment

4 Likes

Sounds like our landlord, who is also my fiance’s uncle. If I don’t answer the door he’ll use his key and help himself in. I don’t answer the door if I’m not expecting anyone and also I’m home alone with 5 kids most of the time so it’s a safety thing for me as well. I’m also not going to answer as I’m in my nursing gown all day to make it easier to nurse my baby. He has made me feel unsafe and uncomfortable in my own home

If they are living there they are “tenants” the parents are landlords… with or without a lease the only time a landlord can enter a dwelling without proper notification is in the case of an emergency… even for house checks they HAVE to give notice… if she asks them to stop and they get mad and try to kick them out the parents still have to do a legal eviction… it was the “landlords” decision to let them live there free if that’s the case, so they can’t just go get out… and she could press charges on the parents for entering a dwelling illegally! Yes they own it, but when you put yourself in the situation of being a “landlord” you have to follow the laws, and those laws are in place for reasons such as this!

2 Likes

They should respect your privacy.

Be grateful that your parents are still alive to do so. One day you’ll wish your mom && dad will just show up unannounced.

3 Likes

Its a violation of privacy but luckly there your parents just tell them how you feel that you would appriciate if they called you have to set boundries or they will continue gosh imagine if they came during a "private " time lol but you know what would really be the fastest sulotion is just buying new locks!!! That way they cant enter whenever they please

1 Like

Do you knock going into there home

Some people would probably pay to be able to have their parents come over. Maybe you should try to make mends with your mom and be grateful for what you have.

1 Like

If you want independence, then you need to move out and be independent. It’s apparent they feel entitled because well, it’s their house.

2 Likes

So your parents own the house, but they don’t actually live there? If they lived there, I’d say they shouldn’t have to knock to come into their own house. But if they don’t actually live there, then I do think they SHOULD knock out of respect for you adults who DO live there.

If you and your bf were to be in the middle of fucking on the living room couch, and your mom barged in talking about “OMG!!!,” it’d be her own damn fault. :rofl:

The last time I had a guy over here (my townhouse that I rent)…the day AFTER that my dad stopped by unannounced…it caught me off guard. Lol. But at least he knocked on the door. I always keep my door locked, but he wouldn’t barge in anyway.

My dad use to do that when we was renting a house from my parents, we lasted 3 years d couldn’t deal with him anymore l. Tried talking to him about it and he didn’t care, I came home one day to him with a big pile of our belongings in his truck and he was off to the dump with it, that was the last straw, we moved out & our relationship with him is way better… sorry to say but moving is probably your best option

2 Likes

I say get your own place. It’s not always good to live under families roofs

Nope not in the slightest. N if ur renting from them thats illegal. Id b putting my foot down

1 Like

Tell them and if they keep doing it dead lock the door so they cant just walk in, Do they have keys? Hide them.

1 Like

Just say to them ask before you come thank if next time just say we were going out

I would love for my mom and dad just to come over unannounced and walk in

2 Likes

Ummm if they are ur landlord .parents or not . They must give a 24 hour notice of the date and time that they’re going to be there. And why are your doors not locked ???

3 Likes

Gosh if only they invented something to keep the door closed if you don’t want it opened… seriously move and don’t give the address.

2 Likes

Technically speaking, they’re your landlords, and legally aren’t allowed to do that.

3 Likes

Remedy change locks n shut door !! Respect goes both ways if you give it they should too??

1 Like

Just tell them. Don’t be an asshole about it, be respectful, but just tell them. “i love you both very much, and I appreciate all you do and have done for us. But it makes me feel a little uncomfortable that you sometimes just walk right into the house, unannounced. Can we figure out another way around this?”

2 Likes

Change the locks and keep them locked. Then hide when you see them knock. :blush:

If you’re staying there for free then I wouldn’t make a big deal about it. Just mention to give you the heads up when they’re coming over so you can tidy up a bit

2 Likes

It should be okay for your parents and the babies grand parents to come over that time because theres nothing wrong with them coming over during dinner (where yall eat,home work where the kids do homework, and where they go to bed)they should be able come during that,as all that isnt that big of deal to have guest or company over as it’s going on.

2 Likes

All y’all saying it’s illegal for them to do that, but then turn around and tell her to change the locks…which is also illegal…you can’t change any locks without landlord approval, and landlords receive a copy of the key🤷

tell them, if it continues change the locks

Lock the door. If they use a key and let themselves in, tell therein it’s bit a good time. Then ignore them. The next day get a chain or bolt lock for the insude.

Do you knock when you go to there house?

I walk into my parents house :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it’s their house it’s now your family home while you live there. It’s about respect and piling in at homework time and bedtime is a pain in the arse!

1 Like

It’s their house, so they pretty much make the rules. UNLESS you pay rent. I’m sorry to say that.

You wanna have privacy? Then go get your own house. Problem solved ungrateful ass!

11 Likes

That’s a safety risk on her part if you think it’s an intruder so she really needs to just not. In all honesty the house is hers so she has every right to be in it just as much as you. I would explain to her that you appreciate her letting you stay in the house with the kids but you would also appreciate it if she would at least knock when she’s over that way she don’t startle you. that’s a safety risk for anybody entering anyone’s house whether you know them personally or not you should always knock it’s common courtesy and that’s a way to get bit by a dog or shot. I don’t know about anybody else but my service dog does not like people in her territory and if you open that door unexpectedly and she doesn’t see you like an extreme amount you get what you get. I taught children how to knock on doors I’m pretty sure she can handle this

1 Like

We rent my in laws house and never do they come over unannounced. It’s very disrespectful and I would
Definitely say something.

Do you pay rent? If yes, then you deserve privacy and can ask for them to give you a notice. If you are living for free in their house, then, grow up!

2 Likes

Take the kids to a friends house and walk around naked. When your mom barges in,she’ll wish she hadn’t :rofl:.

2 Likes

Dude, you sound spoiled. You live in one of their homes, I bet you barely pay any rent because you haven’t moved out but you say they bother you, and you’re complaining about them visiting unannounced and just walking in? Move the fuck out then. Problem solved. Be happy they’re alive to bust in on you. Do you knock on their door when you go to their house?

5 Likes

You n hubby Walk around naked or half naked ? maybe then they’ll think twice lmao

It’s their house?! Tf?? If you don’t like it get an apartment or something you can afford

2 Likes

You and your mom don’t get along but she lets you live in the house they own. You sound really ungrateful and spoiled. How about you lock your door, that way they have to knock, plus in today’s world why would you keep your door unlocked anyways. If your mom can just come in without knocking then im guessing so can a complete stranger.

3 Likes

my boyfriends aunt owns the house we live in but, we pay $1000 rent. and have a 20 month old. she would come over constantly without asking anyone. i put a stop to that shit. your ‘landlord’ is supposed to give you a 24 hr notice before they come to your house! i looked up all kinds of shit online to keep her AWAY because she’s just :roll_eyes:. but, if you don’t pay them rent, there’s really not much you could do i don’t guess.:woman_shrugging:t2:

its your parents they dont have much time left stop being a cry baby … i wish mine would visit me

3 Likes

So they’re basically your landlord? Do you pay rent/mortgage and bills? If so they don’t have the right to just walk in - regardless of them owning it.

Talk to them if it’s bothering you

No. Idc what anybody says here… yes it’s their house but they still need to respect your privacy. Just sit them down and tell them how you feel. Make sure to let them know that you appreciate their help and that they are welcome but you just dont want them to march inside whenever however they please.

You can always move out…while it’s rude not to knock…it is their house…period.

It’s your parents and they love you and your family. Enjoy them and quit bitching🤷🏻‍♀️