My partner constantly hears voices in his head: How can I be there for him?

So me and my partner have been together just a little over 4 years now things are great we have a great relationship great sex life everything is great … Except when mentally he got unwell about a year and half ago started hearing voices of real people whom are in his life … Theese past few weeks have gotten really intence so much he zones out of our conversations because hes listening to theese voices in his head who he really reckons there is someone “doing something to him” hes been to drs but not letting on how bad it is and got to the point where hes saying to me “youve something to do with it” “you know about whats going on in my head” sure come on how in the name of god is that possible i know its not but where do i go from here ? How to deal with this as im a bit lost on what to do… Hes seeing drs but as i said not letting on how bad it really is and when he does they just seam to fob him off

294 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My partner constantly hears voices in his head: How can I be there for him? - Mamas Uncut

He needs to tell the doctors the full truth. He needs to also maybe seek counseling and he needs to be honest about it. That’s the only way he can get help.

1 Like

I’d tell him go to the er and admit himself untill he finds the right doc that’ll do something
And you keep your head on a swivel
Not saying he would harm you

But sometimes people arnt themselves in these cases

15 Likes

Sounds like he’s mentally I’ll and could honestly be a danger to you if he doesn’t get help LEAVE

10 Likes

That’s scary. Definitely check him into a psych ward. Voices may have him do something crazy to you and he won’t even realize it until he snaps out of it. He needs meds ASAP.

10 Likes

He needs more help than you have to give. This could get really bad.

6 Likes

He’s getting skizophrenia. My little brother has it.

8 Likes

He’s schizophrenic most likely. Meds and therapy help

11 Likes

Don’t check him into a psych ward unless he becomes a physical threat or danger to himself or others that’s a terrible idea

2 Likes

Schedule an appt with a psychiatrist for him, GO WITH.

9 Likes

He needs to evaluated by a shrink and put on medication. He’s displaying a form of psychosis

2 Likes

Schizophrenia possibility. Please encourage him to see a doctor.

The right medication can be of great benefit, but he needs to be honest and get the proper help.

1 Like

Maybe u can go with him to his MD appt and speak out about his condition… but be very careful when u are alone with him

3 Likes

Oh honey that sounds like schizophrenia. It’s not very safe for either of you right now. You should really convince him or maybe a family member can help him get the help he needs. It will get worse of you don’t take the steps now. You need to make sure the therapist knows what’s really going on.

2 Likes

He needs to see a psychiatrist and be honest asap! I have bipolar 2 and I have issues with psychosis and I see shadows and have a loud screaming that I hear in my head he needs to be seen and he needs to be treated!

2 Likes

Sounds like schizophrenia… my mother and sister both died because they didn’t get the help they needed and turned to drugs to stop the voices… please go with him to an appt and tell the doctor what is happening. He needs medication and therapy

5 Likes

The thing with the illness is that the meds don’t all work for every person. It’s basically a Guinea pig medication thing until and IF they find one that works. They will usually stay on it for a while and then stop taking it because they feel better and that can cause another episode to occur. I don’t envy your position I know I’ve been dealing with it for years it’s far from easy and scary but it’s better not to be over reactive.

He needs more help than you can give him. What if those voices tell him to harm you?

3 Likes

please get him some help.

He needs see a physiatrist that sounds like schizophrenia don’t try to fight with him it could get physical quick just step back and keep telling him it’s not real and that he needs to tell his doctor the hole truth

2 Likes

I went through this personally with my late fiance and I would suggest you go with him to the doctors and let them know exactly what he’s leaving out and make sure he’s okay with it and if he’s not then you need to take care of yourself as well. Hopefully he can get on the right path and the right medication to getting better but you also need to be on the right path as well so make sure you take care of yourself too mentally.

Sounds like schizophrenia. I have an ex that was like that when he went off his meds. He eventually got abusive and I left him.

2 Likes

Most likely it’s schizophrenia my uncle had it before he passed he was on meds

1 Like

I would start recording these moments that he hears the voices. Or zones out.

But first tell him I’m going to record you just so you’re aware.

Save them for the doctors and please be safe.

2 Likes

I have voices in my head music morse code jack hammer sounds etc. On one side. It is from brain injuries. Not psychosis. If both sides meds do help.

5 Likes

Paranoid schizophrenia. Look it up and see what it suggests you can do to help.

2 Likes

Voices in your head is just one symptom of schizophrenia! Blacking out and being aggressive and violent are others!! He needs to be taken care of immediately! My ex started showing symptoms and went untreated, the voices told him to stab his dad and himself. He stabbed his dad 15 times while he was sleeping! He was in critical condition but managed to survive! If he won’t seek real treatment then you need to leave! Asap!!

Stress will cause episodes and it will typically get worse, medication doesn’t always help… you’ve got some tough decisions ahead of you, paranoid schizophrenia is a scary diagnosis :disappointed:

PSYCH asap! And be careful as those voices can be dangerous for some peoplw

Take him to see a psychiatrist, it’ll get worse for him if he doesn’t get the proper help!

Happened to my mother in her 50s. We got her meds and the voices are not so strong

He needs psych care NOW. Call and get him admitted against his will. He could hurt himself or others.

3 Likes

As a therapist, I’ll tell you he really needs to be honest with his medical providers about what’s going on. That’s the only way they can help him. Please be aware of command hallucinations which is where the voices could tell him to harm other people or himself. It can get really dangerous at that point.

U should contact the dr urself and tell them ur concerns

2 Likes

I would suggest going with him to the doctors appointments so that you can fill in the missing information. The drs aren’t going to give him the proper meds if they don’t know the whole story/details. It could very well be schizophrenia or has he had a traumatic brain injury? I hope he gets the help he needs. It’s a hard situation :heart:

2 Likes

Schizophrenia he needs medication like risperidone… also may need to go into a mental hospital to get a real diagnosis. Schizophrenia is nothing to play around with … he also might needs more medicine… if he is on any at all … or he ain’t on the right ones …

2 Likes

If he really wants help he needs to put any ego he has aside and really tell all to a psychiatrist. It’s impossible for them to help, and even more impossible for you to help if he’s not properly diagnosed. If he refuses to tell all and refuses meds, that’s a him problem and you can’t change that. There’s only so much you can do to help in this situation. It’s really on him to get the help he needs because he’s the one who deals with it mentally. I’ve been on, and am on antipsych meds for bipolar, but they are also prescribed to help schizophrenic patients. Don’t check him into a psych ward unless he shows dangerous tendencies to himself or others. I don’t recommend that. Just simply sit him down and try to explain to him the severity of it, and how he needs to be as honest as possible with health care professionals regarding his issues so he can get proper help. :heart:

Call ahead to the nurse/doctor who he is seeing and update them with your concerns or ask to go with him.

Go with him to the therapist and tell them how bad it really is.

Sounds like he needs psychiatric help… if he isn’t willing to actively seek honest help, I’m not sure there is much else you can do. Just be careful because this CAN (not always and not guaranteed) lead to physical violence…

1 Like

Has he had an exam ? Making sure he doesn’t have a tumor ? You should be honest with his doctor may be something serious he can get medication for? Sounds like schizophrenic episodes.

3 Likes

Yea this is scary. Be careful

Have you tried going to the doctors with him and speaking up for him? I know my dad is horrible about letting the doctors know what’s really going on so this is what my mom does. He needs to see a psychologist. Not a counselor or therapist as they can not diagnose and treat with medication. My sons father has schizophrenia. Medicated he is normal and functioning. Not medicated….not so much. He has this fear and honest belief that the government is after him. He is currently in a mental facility to learn to live with the illness, find the correct medication regimen and other things. Best thing you can do is be there for support, talk to his doctor for a referral to a psychologist and go from there. Explain to your significant other that you will be there through it all but won’t tolerate blaming. He can choose to acknowledge that maybe there is a problem and get help (with your support) or he will have to go. This illness can get dangerous as you never know exactly what they are thinking and how they will react to those thoughts. Be safe girl!

4 Likes

He may be doing drugs that no one knows about and its driving him batty or there is some kind of chemical imbalance going on in his brain

2 Likes

He has schizophrenia my brother has it it can be very dangerous to you and other and his self if he leaves it untreated you need to let dr know how bad it is take him to emergency room talk with his family they may be able to get a psychic hold on him i know you dont want to but he will be better for it please Becarefull because my brother thought people where after him he had knives and his bed and we woke up to him with one about to hurt some one it was him it was the voices

4 Likes

I went through this, it’s a veryyyyy serious matter. My ex went super abusive, I’m blessed to be alive today… it’s scary AF especially when not properly medicated. Hopefully he gets the help that he needs, maybe you can just be encouraging and hopefully he’s medicated properly soon :pray:

3 Likes

I would tell the doctors myself just how bad it is. Something is obviously going on with him and he can’t be helped if he is lying about what is going on. This also puts you in a very dangerous place because he thinks you have information that he doesn’t. He also thinks you could be behind this. This can become dangerous very fast so please be careful and speak up for him at the doctors. Not only will it help him but you as well

1 Like

I know from the scientific point of view most would say is schizophrenia or some mental illnes but please check info on Spiritual Attacks.

Be careful because I was married to a man who started saying things like that and then swore I put a button in his head. He ended up being emotionally and then physically abusive because he believed I was trying to kill him. I packed in the middle of the night and grabbed my kids and left state before he killed me. I haven’t spoke a word to him since and he hasn’t seen or spoke to his own kid in 14 years. It can become dangerous. Be safe. :heart:

4 Likes

If he will not tell his doctors the truth he definitely won’t commit himself to a psych unit voluntarily. Involuntary commission can be done if there’s a danger to himself or someone else. Call his doctor and see if they will allow you to give collateral information. He has to be willing to accept help for there to be any significant changes

2 Likes

Sounds very much like schizophrenia

5 Likes

Call a mental health crisis line and get some advice them. If you’re going to stay in this relationship you are going to need some support and counseling for yourself

3 Likes

My Dad had delerium last winter, as he recovered, he was also hearing people talking to him that were not there. (he is fine now) See a neurologist, not a regular doctor, whatever it turns out to be. Insist he be seen by one if he needs to get a referral by his primary doctor, no matter what it is, that is what I would do.

4 Likes

No advise but wishing you both the best.

My daughter has this she is 52 won’t get on meds . I hate that she has to go through this ! It is awful

It sounds like he needs to be admitted to a psych ward.

Sounds like schizophrenia… he needs serious intervention, or it can be very dangerous for the both of you and others.

5 Likes

Make an appointment and go with him and tell them everything

The voices are not fake.but very real…head injury is probably the cause…has he been hit in the head.? I have as far back as first grade.i have 12 concussions on my skull and 6 are servire…(MIR) have him get a MIR done of his skull…:pray:

Go with him to his doctors. He’s in need of serious help and they need to know what’s really happening

He needs to be evaluated and maybe put on a 72hour hold for observation. If you have your own place, I’d suggest sleeping there for your safety. Also I would limit contact until things are figured out .

While it does sound like a mental health issue. I would ask his doctors for brain imaging to make sure there isn’t a tumor causing the issue. It’s always best to check for being put on meds.

3 Likes

I would say he needs psychologist n if he doesn’t wanna tell the Dr’s and all how bad it’s getting. U be his voice. If he doesn’t get help leave.

Is he on any medication? I went to the doctor for depression and they put me on a cocktail of medication and I started hearing voices. Even after stopping the medication I still hear voices. He needs to go back to his doctor and have them take a look at him This is a very serious thing and it is scary. I first had experience.

Sounds like he’s paranoid and possibly schizophrenic. You make the appointment and you go with him. Have him diagnosed. If he doesn’t take the proper medication, things can become very bad…

2 Likes

You don’t need to, you have to get out and far away from him

You need to go with him to see some professionals and you need to express exactly how bad it is. He clearly can not advocate for himself sadly. And be CAREFUL. If he’s hearing voices and now believes you play a part in it nothing good is to come of that. He needs real help. You can either help him get the help he needs or put yourself first and make sure you’re safe. You both need to get on it tho cuz it’s not a safe situation for anyone

You need to be very careful how u handle this if he thinks you are the cause u never know what his voices are telling him to do GO with him to see the Dr and let them know how he is acting…if u have children have them spend time with family…

1 Like

Record him and take it to his doctors

Leave before he murders you. And you can report directly to his doctors.

2 Likes

He’s seriously mentally unwell and he thinks you are causing it. Please support him from afar. I’ve seen a few times where the unwell lashed out at their partners bc “they were causing it”. It might be time for you to tell his doctors how bad it is and to move out until he’s getting actual help to protect yourself. You prob thinking how could he possibly think this about me but it’s the disease lying to him.

7 Likes

He needs to talk to someone about this. If they are actively affecting his daily life he may need medication. You are doing what you can by being supportive but he has to be honest and address this issue/

We have a son like this. He’s in his 60’s now but has only been this way for about 10 yrs. Your partner needs to see a psychiatrist for sure and get on the right meds. Then he will do just fine.

1 Like

Sounds very much like Schizophrenia. He could be very dangerous to himself and others and not have any control over it. I’ve known several men with this condition. One was in my family growing up. The longer they go without treatment the worse it gets.My uncle heard things…then started seeing things later. The paranoia is a major factor too. He’s telling the doctors it’s not bad because he does not know it is as bad as it is…and sounds like you have a shitty provider who needs to be way more serious in listening to him! It’s nothing to play around with. You will have to call other doctors and tell them the severity of his symptoms then ask what your next step is to get him treated properly. I hope and pray you get the help you need for your family. :heart:

Please for your safety leave until he gets proper help

4 Likes

Very very important to get him help now!!!

He needs mental health treatment. They can prescribe meds for it and give him ways to deal with it.

The next time he hears voices call 911. Explain he’s hearing voices and your fearful for his and your safety ask for transport and go with our meet them there.

4 Likes

He definitely needs help before he hurts himself or you. That is extremely extremaly dangerous. Prayers for yall. Good luck!

2 Likes

I’d leave if hes unwilling to be honest with drs. Your life and safety is not worth no man.

4 Likes

Immediate attention to this matter is needed. He is headed to losing control which could be detrimental to you and others. Mental illness can be sneaky and quite often is left undiagnosed and untreated until a tragedy happens. Try to persuade him to go to a urgent mental health facility or crisis clinic and to be honest about what’s going on with him. If he feels you have something to do with it he could be a danger to your health and safety as well as his own. Voices in their heads can become very real, very loud and very debilitating to mentally ill people leading them to drastic actions to make them stop. Seek medical attention immediately‼️

4 Likes

You tell drs how bad it is

2 Likes

I’m confused on why you havnt told the doctor how progressively worse it’s getting by the day. He could legitimately loose his mind completely and kill you.

8 Likes

Keep fighting for help! He needs good mental help, it sounds like you are wanting someone to tell you to leave, but mental health is something he can not control and needs medication and a GOOD doctor/therapist.

1 Like

I went through that when I was getting clean off of methamphetamines I was in a paranoid state of mind and I was seeing things that weren’t there still to this day is hard for me to accept that some of the things I thought was real was not even though I have been through counseling and giving prescription medication I am much better now and do not have to take that medication but the reality of how I felt and what I saw at the time so realistic it’s still a problem for me to accept that it was not real at the time so I know how hard it is for him and I know how hard it is for you cuz I’ve been there for others after I’ve gotten myself together I don’t know if he has ever had a drug issue sometimes it can lie dormant and then attack it the brain actually locks certain chemicals down and releases them during times of stress I hope that is not the case I will keep you in prayer cuz I know that is a rough road you’re going down God bless you and keep you

2 Likes

Sounds like schizophrenia or dissociative identity disorder, I have DID have him see a therapist/ psychiatrist instead of a doctor so they chart symptoms on onset and everything to help diagnose.

1 Like

Sounds like a severe case of schizophrenia, I was in a long term relationship with someone who suffered from it. If he doesn’t get put on medication for it asap you are at risk of him harming you. Please don’t just brush it off because it will only get much worse. 

4 Likes

How long has he been hearing these voices? Schizophrenia generally presents in childhood and adolescence. It rarely presents in adulthood. I’m not saying it can’t. But he needs to be honest with you and the doctors. There could be something seriously wrong with his brain like a tumor or something. Encourage him to get CT scans and MRIs. Even if it’s just to rule it out.

1 Like

I completely understand this. I have a family member that has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and they do the same thing as your bf. It’s going to get worse and will be difficult to deal with. It is very difficult to get them help because they either think people will think they are crazy or they may believe nothing is wrong with them. Our country needs better resources for the mentally ill and support for their family. :pensive:

Your bf needs to be honest with the doctors so that he can receive proper medication. This may be hard to get him to do because he believes those voices are real and he wants to know what those people are up to in his mind. I can’t stress how important it is that he starts taking medication for his condition.

My prayers are with you all. :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

For your safety you need to remove yourself from the situation until it’s under control. I’m not be any means saying leave him, but maybe find somewhere else to sleep for the time being. There are so many cases of normally loving sweet people hurting the ones they love due to unchecked mental health issues. For both your sake and his be safe love.

3 Likes

Until he tells the drs how bad it actually, it’s not going to get better. They need to know everything to fully treat him.

Went thru this daughter boyfriend was like that he tried to kill her x3 before she left . Then he took his own life . Very scary. Just be safe . Side note when on meds he was cool . But would not stay on them

2 Likes

His mental illness is not your responsibility. You need to leave before the voices tell him to kill you. My mom is paranoid schizophrenic and often has episodes of psychosis. Even medicated and in therapy she has major issues with psychosis. I support her from afar because it isn’t really safe to be around her. He needs a psychiatrist and most likely hospitalized until he is considered stable. This is something you don’t want on your plate❤️

7 Likes

YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER!!! GET OUT! He needs to see a psychiatrist ASAP!!! He has all the signs of SCHIZOPHRENIA!!! If one of those “voices” say KILL her, he WILL!!!

7 Likes

Get him to a psychologist or psychiatrist. Even if you have to go to tell them how bad it is

3 Likes

He needs to get help for it and probably be put on medication. If he doesn’t things will just get worse.

1 Like

He needs a psych not a normal dr that’s a serious mental Illness

1 Like

I had written another comment before but I want to add something. Make sure your on his paperwork at any Dr.’s for YOU to be allowed to know about his health care,.

2 Likes