My Relatives Won't Come to My House Due to COVID, But They're More Than Happy to Go to SeaWorld: Advice?

QUESTION:

"My husband’s cousin and his girlfriend took their 1-year-old to SeaWorld, but can’t come to our housewarming party.

It’s literally a party for just our family. She says she knows SeaWorld’s sanitation process, and they require temperature checks and masks. I’m not mad about you not coming to my party until I get an excuse like that."

RELATED QUESTION: I’m Worried My Child Might Have COVID-19: What Are the Symptoms I Should Be Looking For?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“That kind of makes sense. Going someplace with distancing policies in place, where everyone is wearing a mask vs a family gathering where people are less likely to take precautions and wear masks.”

“What do you need advice about? If she chose not to go to your housewarming then she didn’t. Regardless of her reason, not your business. She’s not obligated to go to your house. The only advice I can give is to tell her how you felt about it. It’s a cousin for a housewarming party. Not a close sibling for a wedding or birth.”

“I feel uncomfortable around certain family members. Not because I don’t love them but I know they go out and are around a lot of ppl or their kids go places mine doesn’t parks, school, etc. I am extremely careful and others aren’t which is ok and I wish I wasn’t as scared but I am. I keep pretty much to myself or only go places where we are far away from ppl and outdoors.”

“Seems like you already had a problem if not coming to a housewarming party makes you this mad. Is this not the first thing they haven’t come to? You seem to be taking this super personally. I would take her reason at face value. She doesn’t feel comfortable coming. That’s not an insult.”

“You can safely visit sea world as long as you stay outside, don’t go in any enclosures, and follow all safety protocols on the other hand a housewarming party that is held indoors is not safe. It doesn’t matter if the only family is in attendance, if those people do not live within your own personal household and/or haven’t Quarantined 2 weeks prior to the party THAN they could be carrying the virus!”

“It’s a housewarming party… it’s not like she ignored a birthday. She chose not to come to a party where people won’t be taking proper precaution (a house warming party right now? Really?). I mean having a party because you moved into a new place during a time when it’s being advised not to would throw me off as well. At sea world, it’s outside and she doesn’t have to worry about people being all over her kid and up in her face. A housewarming party is away at the bottom of important events to attend.”

“It’s more difficult to social distance inside than out, and difficult to do with family and friends as some still want to hug and come close to talk.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

1 Like

maybe shes or they are not comfortable around you or prefer not to come around u that much :wink:

4 Likes

I guess you know where you stand with her :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That was her answer to you?! Well look at it this way…
You dodged a bullet from allowing some negative energy into your home. Keep negative out of your home :two_hearts::raised_hands:

10 Likes

Seems like you already had a problem if not coming to a housewarming party makes you this mad. Is this not the first thing they haven’t come to? You seem to be taking this super personally. I would take her reason at face value. She doesn’t feel comfortable coming. That’s not an insult.

2 Likes

I mean you can social distance pretty well from people at sea world. Isn’t sea world outdoors? Are you going to be eating with a bunch of people at sea world? Are you requiring everyone at your housewarming party to wear masks? Do you have different beliefs than he does giving him reason to believe maybe you and the rest of your family aren’t being very careful? Are you and the rest of your friends/family going to want to hug and kiss all up on their one year old? Guarantee that won’t happen at sea world. Honestly, I see the logic. Though, I also wouldn’t be going to sea world.

1 Like

I rather go to seaworld myself. 🤷

9 Likes

I had a friend tell me she didn’t wanna come to my baby shower cuz of COVID ok no problem I understand. Till I seen that (on a fb invite) she said she was going to another one of our friends baby showers. Like really?!?!? We were best friends and her and the other girl rarely talk :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3: people ugh!

3 Likes

That kind of makes sense. Going someplace with distancing policies in place, where everyone is wearing a mask vs a family gathering where people are less likely to take precautions and wear masks.

18 Likes

Simply ask her what it would take for her to feel comfortable :heart:

1 Like

Well,anyone who goes to seaworld is obviously an asshole…so yeah.

What do you need advice about? If she chose not to go to your housewarming then she didn’t. Regardless of her reason, not your business. She’s not obligated to go to your house. Only advice I can give is tell her how you felt about it. It’s a cousin for a housewarming party. Not a close sibling for a wedding or birth.

5 Likes

She showed you how she values you. You know where you stand. Enjoy your party with the people that actually DO care

5 Likes

I feel uncomfortable around certain family members. Not Bec I don’t love them but I know they go out and are around a lot of ppl or their kids go places mine doesn’t parks, school etc. I am extremely careful and others aren’t which it’s ok and I wish I wasn’t as scared but I am am pretty keep to myself or only places where we are far away from ppl and outdoors.

4 Likes

Require masks, temperature checks, and sanitation stations for your party :joy::joy:

2 Likes

With your attitude, I wouldn’t need an excuse!!

7 Likes

Its more difficult to social distance inside than out, and difficult to do with family and friends as some still want to hug and come close to talk.

1 Like

That’s B.S ya’ll. She felt the party might not be as fun as SeaWorld. Think about it…

2 Likes

SeaWorld is outside and more spread out. Not as much inside a house with lots of people.

First have a discussion with her about it. Maybe she doesn’t feel comfortable around some of the family you invited. Maybe explain that it upset you? Find some way to communicate your thoughts peacefully.

Not really on topic, but it’s not just “she,” it’s her husband who’s making that choice too. Idk just a pet peeve of mine to blame every choice a couple makes on the woman, as if the guy can’t think and decide for himself.

8 Likes

Remember… according to whoever…
*its perfectly acceptable to go to Walmart but not family owned stores.
*It’s perfectly acceptable to go work in a crowded factory for 12 hours a day but it is not acceptable to have a birthday party.
*It’s perfectly acceptable for kids to go to school but trick or treating is outrageously dangerous

The media has people batshit crazy about covid-19. And the whole SeaWorld verses a housewarming party is no exception to what I’ve listed above.
We’ve been told safe to go to SeaWorld (or Disneyland or ect). Because…masks…sanitation…and social distancing.
But family gatherings are dangerous because somehow this virus is smart enough to know the difference.

For the record I’ve been having family gatherings since easter. I’ve got a Halloween party this weekend. It really doesn’t bother me. But I’ve spoken to MANY people who believe the media whole-heartedly. You cannot reason with them whatsoever.

I’d just let it go at this point.

5 Likes

Maybe they had the SeaWorld trip already planned? Either way it is a housewarming party, no one is obligated to go.

1 Like

You can safely visit sea world as long as you stay outside, don’t go in any enclosures, and follow all safety protocols on the other hand a house warming party that is held indoors is not safe. It doesn’t not matter if only family is in attendance, if those people do not live with in your own personal household and/or haven’t Quarantined 2 weeks prior to the party THAN they could be carrying the virus! :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My advice is to get over yourself.

4 Likes

It’s a house warming party… it’s not like she ignored a birthday. She chose not to come to a party where people won’t be taking proper precaution (a house warming party right now? Really?). I mean having a party because you moved into a new place during a time when it’s being advised not to would throw me off as well. At sea world it’s outside and she doesn’t have to worry about people being all over her kid and up in her face. A house warming party is way at the bottom of important events to attend :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

You can social distance at sea world, they require masks. And sanitize properly.

A family house warming party- I’m pretty sure you’re not going to enforce masks in your home. And sanitize every 15 minutes. :woman_shrugging:t2: and I’m sure people are going to want to be all over their 1 year old. Snuggling, kissing on him/her

1 Like

They obviously didn’t want to go

Maybe you’ve got a dirty house and they use covid as a “mask” up lol.

It’s harder to social distance in a house setting. Unless all your guests are prepared to wear masks.

I’m sorry lol why would you even want anyone in your home and why are you worried about what others are doing ? I don’t attend parties either , I don’t even like family parties to begin with , now I use Covid to my full advantage :wink::raised_hands:t2::ok_hand: