My sister refuses to put sunscreen on her kids

My sister REFUSES to use sunscreen on her kids due to “harsh chemicals” which okay I get…her reasoning is because our grandpa still got skin cancer from the sun even though he used sunscreen…i get that but at the same time when your kids are outside all day in the sun…they need protection…she makes them sit in the shade for 15 mins after 15 mins spent in the sun and i still feel like this is not good enough…what are some chemical free sunscreens i can tell her about? i am worried for my nieces and nephews at this point

296 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My sister refuses to put sunscreen on her kids - Mamas Uncut

Wear long sleeve’s and a wide brimmed hat

5 Likes

MY Joy is back to me after a very long time which i and my ex separated since i was alone my life change, every thing about me change a friend of mine gave me an email address and told me that this was the email address [email protected] she contacted when she was in the same problem so i contacted the email i got a reply he ask me to send him my number so i did he was a man call Dr. Sam he is a spell caster he casted a spell for me and told me that within two day that my ex we be back for good within that two days my ex was back, and with just got married together you can also reach him on his WhatsApp +2348054458279

3 Likes

Your grandpa didn’t wear sunscreen in his younger days I’m sure…

8 Likes

Not your kid not your business

26 Likes

Not your kids not your problem, stay out of it

18 Likes

Beauty Counter sunscreen is mineral based.

Kids need sunlight for vitamin D. Sunlight helps. Sunscreen blocks this.

16 Likes

If you’re near water, sitting in the shade doesn’t really help much. Depending on how close you are to the water, the sun will reflect off the water onto you. Aveeno Baby makes a chemical free sunscreen. So does Neutragena for babies. Both are sold at Target. There are others if you want to Google them. They’re a little pricey, but it’s worth it if you want to avoid the chemicals.

9 Likes

Sunlight is vitamin d which children need heck all of us need

8 Likes

Eat more animal fats

I used sunscreen and still got sun poisoning. I know some people who have used sunscreen and their kids got chemical burns. It’s really not your kid, not your problem.

11 Likes

No your children don’t interfere. Plenty of children do this. Your sister is doing them a favour, I regret the day I was “made” to use suncream

12 Likes

None of my family wore sunscreen ever and were all fine :woman_shrugging: my 7 kids done wear sunscreen either. It’s not a law and not required and shes their mom sorry!

8 Likes

Her children… her choice. If you wanna load your kids up then do so…

9 Likes

Once she sees her kids burn once & cry in pain im sure shel start using it x

2 Likes

OMG… my sister once gave me an hour long lecture about how I’m “failing my kids” by putting sunscreen on them because they need to “build an immunity to the sun” :woozy_face:

They could be besties :woman_shrugging:t3::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

22 Likes

I’m with your sister on this. I don’t put sunscreen on my four kids and they’ve never had a sunburn in their lives. We keep our shoulders covered with a t shirt, wear hats and give the sun a break when it’s at its brightest which is usually between 1-3pm. Provide shady spots too. There’s chemicals in sunscreen that are known carcinogens too. Each to their own, I say

8 Likes

My daughter had a really bad reaction to sun cream and was told by doctors not to use any on her and to let her play like normal obviously if it’s hot 2 play in the shade she has never had sun burn and she’s 15

1 Like

Bye the kids hats for presents and thats about all you should do

5 Likes

Get a doctor advice - or just ask Google what is more harmful direct sunlight or sunscreen chemicals. Then laugh at her for being such a clown to let her children get a greater chance of cancer over some YouTube videos advice. LoL is she an ant Vax q-hole?

6 Likes

Not your children keep your mouth shut. It’s not a law and it’s her choice. None of my family has ever had an issue and jo one has ever used sunscreen. I ONLY put it on my son if we are in Florida on vacay.

10 Likes

I went door to door in rural N.C. selling cancer insurance and heard countless stories of cancers that ran in families. Especially the farmers who got skin cancers. Good Luck with not protecting your children from the sun…

2 Likes

I bet you’re a blast at parties.

2 Likes

Not your kids so butt out. You wanna put harsh chemicals on your kids that’s your choice. She’s made it clear that she isn’t using sunscreen. Respect the boundary and what mom has to say. You’re not mom. Period. My kids don’t wear sunscreen ever. Just because her parenting doesn’t align with yours doesn’t mean she’s not doing her job. If it’s working for her and her kids leave it alone.

Dr recommended aveeno or cervae sunscreen for my kids bc of sensitive skin. And my nana dermatologists also recommended it for her bc she has lupus and has 2 cancer spots removed from sun exposure and her lupus meds.

2 Likes

Badger brand has a more friendly sunscreen with less of the toxic chemicals

Your sister is right! Kids don’t need sunscreen, in fact several have been recalled bc once the sun interacts with it, the sunscreens are actually the ones causing skin cancer! We do not wear any sunscreen in our house either. The sun is essential to our health. Sunscreen is terrible for you. :wink:

23 Likes

Earth Kitchen. The best. And all natural

Get her a sunscreen that doesn’t have the ingredients she disagrees with

My son actually burned worse with sunscreen like huge blisters it was awful. Now that he’s grown he wear a long sleeve sun shirt.

2 Likes

We like babo botanicals mineral sunscreen and they could use uv resistant clothing

Clothes. Seriously long sleeve tops and pants, wear a hat, and use pure zinc.

3 Likes

I never wore sunscreen as a kid no skin cancer a week ago I put it on to go to SeaWorld well now im taking steroids because I had a bad allergic reaction it was a “skin sensitive” one at that and I’m not allergic to anything so I kinda agree now idk if my kid should wear it

8 Likes

The sun damage you stupid people are causing your kids will only reflect when they enter their thirties so start saving up for the medical bills.

6 Likes

I’m a mom and I’m terrible about sunscreen too. But I’m great with portable shelters, hats, umbrellas, sunglasses, water ext…. If the kids aren’t burning and they are getting shade, happy, ext…. I think you are over reacting personally.

If it really worries you I would continue to respect moms way of parenting and buy the kids hats or something :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Might be unpopular opinion but I don’t use sunscreen either. My kids will wear a hat , drink lots of water. Wear loose long sleeved shirts if need be. But I’d rather that then the chemicals. I think we have been taught to fear the sun so the gov/media can push sun screen. While both have their disadvantages , I prefer to go the natural route.
Sun over chemicals

12 Likes

As an Australian, sunscreen is very important in Australia. Now that I live in the USA, I really don’t put it on my kids very often. The sun here is nowhere near as harsh.

1 Like

These are great, both plant based, vegan with no chemicals or nasties.

3 Likes

As an Australian, sunscreen is very important in Australia. Now that I live in the USA, I really don’t put it on my kids very often. The sun here is nowhere near as harsh.

1 Like

I understand your concern. There’s no doubt going to be a lot of parenting choices that others make which we question. Unfortunately, you can only do so much. At the very least, she does seem to try by taking them out of the sun for a period, maybe take solace in that? Or gently suggest a few chemical free sunscreens listed here? I wouldn’t push it, as much as it bothers you. You can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink :+1:

Telia Festino Adam Dingle can you guys help??

As long as your kids have their sunscreen on hers will be protected. Isn’t that how people believe it works these days? Seriously tho, worry about your own kids. Unless they are spending all day in direct sun like at a beach or a pool they really don’t need it anyway.

9 Likes

Do some unbiased research. Show her the results. But in the end, not your kids boo. Not saying you shouldnt care, im saying you dont have a say. Aunt does not equal mom. Know what I mean jelly bean?

5 Likes
1 Like

I live in Australia. Sunscreen is a must. Not only that but even skincare professionals will talk about how good sunscreen is for your epidermis.

3 Likes

How the world has changed.

1 Like

Ireland isn’t the sunniest place in the world but our most common cancer here is skin cancer. I would always put suncream on all of us

2 Likes

My son is allergic to it so he can’t use it

Uv rays are everywhere surely there’s sun screen out there suitable sun screen helps protects us from sun damage which can lead to cancer if she does her research x

1 Like

Blue lizard baby formula target

Or how about mind your business.

8 Likes

It is sweet that you care but it’s not up to you.

5 Likes

Why are all these posters trying to parent other people’s children?

7 Likes

I don’t put it on my kids either and they arr perfectly healthy and alive. Not ur kids not ur business

6 Likes

Sunscreen gives you skincancer, hinders your body from producing Vit D which is essential for your Immunsystem…yeah sure rub them full of this crap and make the kids sick…

12 Likes

Does aloe protect? I know it heals sunburn after…not sure on before…

As kids, we never heard of sunscreen and we were outside 95% of the time. In summer it was more.
We were fine and our parents never worried about skin protection. Times have changed.

9 Likes

Natural sunscreens and you get it on their website

3 Likes

I would consider clothing that has UV protection.

6 Likes

Honestly if I was her and you told me about some chemical free sun screens I’d be mad. She’s made her belief clear and she’s not hurting the kids. Respects her beliefs and her boundaries

13 Likes

There are a lot of clothing that blocks sun

2 Likes

*Just here to drop a reminder about SPF… SPF 30 means to last 300 minutes, SPF 50=500 minutes
However… Cut that number in half due to sweat, swimming, dirt, water etc. So your SPF 30 really only lasts MAYBE 2 hours, maybe. Maybe if you put it on at the house, applied it evenly to all areas and let it absorb into your skin before dressing. Spraying shiny lotion on a sunny day has a mirror effect & if your skin is warm, wet or dirty/sandy it won’t absorb properly
Shade is key :wink:

2 Likes

Tell her, her kids can still get burnt in the shade because of the UV rays bouncing off of things around them.

4 Likes

I burn and my kids burn without it. I have gotten sunburnt in the winter and was even yelled at when I was in the military for that. I was in Missouri when I burned in the dead of winter but one “sunny day” with snow on the ground I burned like a crispy critter in the gunners hatch. My children are porcelain like me and we have to wear sunscreen. I’ve had sun poisoning and scars from water blisters when I was ignorant and didn’t wear it in my teenage years when I went fishing and didn’t think I was burning… at the time at least lol. My husband makes all of the jokes about when I wore sunscreen when we were playing disc golf but I didn’t bring it with us to reapply it half way through our game and turned into a lobster :roll_eyes: personally I use it and I apply it to my children as well. My mom always said my sister and I had skin “like a baby’s bottom” and burned easily and she wasn’t wrong lol

3 Likes

Google natural sunscreen

4 Likes

Apply fresh aloevera

Mind your damn business !!! Us kids DIDNT USE SUNSCREEN!! You are NOT THE PARENT

I mean. Are they getting sun burnt??? If not, what are you worried about…

4 Likes

My mom kicked us out of the house after breakfast, let us come in for lunch, and kicked us back out until dinner. We drank out of hose pipes, ate some berries straight off the bush, played in mud, dirt, and the rain. We played in the sun, we played in the shade. We were fine and not only were we fine but my nosey aunts didn’t try to convince my mom to slather us in chemicals just so that we could play. Mom didn’t put sunscreen on us unless we were going to be in the sun for hours at a time like at the beach or the lake. Do what makes you comfortable with your children but it’s not your place to convince another parent of what you think is best with their children.

16 Likes

I use zinc on all my kids

I use this 4 my children but I always try and make sure there arms are covered even if it’s just a lightweight longsleve t-shirt I also put a sun hat on them and make sure they have plenty of water I do also put them in the shade every 20mins or so never had any problems with sunburn

My favorite eco brand is called goddess garden :potted_plant:

Unless they are coming in really badly burnt or with blisters then I think you should leave it and let her crack on with it. My kids go out in the sun an I limit what type of stuff I put on there skin as there super sensitive and just make sure to keep them out the sun when its really warm and keep them covered enough not to get burnt I used somthing my m.i.l got them the other day and my youngest has had a rash on her face come up and my neck ant stopped itching since…“but we needed to get that one” bcus she used it when her own was kids ":roll_eyes: been trying not to scratch my skin off the last 2 days as a result an nothing seems to help so god knows how my youngest feels with it on her face

4 Likes

It probably would’ve taken 1/10th the time to Google “natural sunscreen” than writing an entire paragraph about your sister’s choices for random strangers to judge her.

20 Likes

We need the sun. God wouldn’t have put it in the sky if we didn’t need it. Sun screen is bad. Her method is a great way for them to avoid sunburn but still get their vitamin D.

12 Likes

I saw some articles awhile ago that suggested sun screen may cause cancer. So who knows?

1 Like

They have hundreds of natural ones on the market buy her a few to trial. Not much else you can do.

Zinc is the only ingredient that is known for uva rays (cancer causing rays) that will reflect the rays. Chemical based absorb the uva rays which over time can still cause melanomas. Anything over a 15% water weight is your best bet. Also a lot of chemical based can cause chemical burns. Look into Suntegrity as a brand. Best one I know of.

1 Like

Long sleeve lightweight tops… rash vests…
Hats on, in total shade 11 till 2…best way to avoid serious sunburn. 8 to 11 and 2 to 5 I don’t expect they would be out in the sun the entire time .

2 Likes

You should follow in your sisters footsteps ………

4 Likes

:thinking:The Chemicals??
(Imo) Whats their diet like?? Does anything come out of a box or plastic wrappers etc…:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Tell her she can put a mineral based sunscreen

Hello bello and badger make great ones. They don’t have all the harsh chemicals

4 Likes

Leave your sister alone and let her raise her kids the way she wants. Apparently they are fine if they’ve made it this far along without getting burned. She’s doing a great job and you should be proud of her for having her kids outside instead of three inches from a tablet or tv

13 Likes

Fair skinned older lady here. I didn’t know what sun screen was. I burnt once a year as far back as I can remember. It peeled and I was fine the rest of the summer. If it was really bad I had to stay in the next day. I only remember that a couple time at public swimming pool, creeks and lakes never did it.

5 Likes

Okay so there is this AMAZING product that you can literally find anywhere😍.
It’s called “Stay In Your Lane” :roll_eyes:
Seriously, you should try it. Works wonders! :kissing_heart:

(Unless the kids are walking around blistered as a tomato, I’m sure their MOM has it under control)

15 Likes

Just about everything causes cancer these days. There are mineral based sunscreens you could try for yourself and your own kids, but you really can’t force someone else to put sunscreen on their own children.

1 Like

I never wore sunscreen as a kid, i had no issues ever, kids in villages also never wear sunscreen but some kids/adults need it

3 Likes

Her children, her choice! She sounds like she has her kids best interests at heart. Have a read up on what is in suncreams & try to understand why she chooses to protect her children. There are some organic ones, the green people are popular

11 Likes

Not your kids not your business. I’ve never worn sunscreen. It’s wack and you burn ashy. Her kids will be fine

5 Likes

Limelife… All natural products and safe for babies too!! I’m having a sale right now!! Here is my link… message me if you have questions!Cosmetics & Natural Skincare | LimeLife by Alcone

She asked for your help not your judgment and criticism. What keyboard Karens. Sheesh!
Thinkbaby is one of the best ones I’ve used. Also, Goddess Garden

4 Likes

I can understand your concerns, you are just worried about your nieces and nephews. Could you suggest to her that you look together for chemical free options?
Your grandpa would have had skin cancer from when he was a child and there was no sun screen available, so she can compare.
I would just show the same chemical concerns as her and find one that is safe for all the kids :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Are y’all serious?!? OP needs to stay in her lane?

9 Likes

This website will break down pretty much every single sunscreen in effectiveness/safeness of chemicals! Highly recommend.

2 Likes

Ultimately it’s her choice and doesn’t sounds like she’s going to change her mind, but what about suggesting a UV blocking rash guard and maybe a hat as an alternative? She can wet the rash guard so it keeps them cool. We do those a lot as my son especially has super sensitive skin and it’s easier than dealing with sunscreen.

2 Likes

You can buy uv clothing

2 Likes