My sister refuses to put sunscreen on her kids

Mind your own business, they’re not your kids

13 Likes

Let her parent her children her way. Sunscreens are not safe.

16 Likes

Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide is your best bet. I found a recipe online so you can make your own sunblock! https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-Sunscreen/ Also encourage her to put them in loose clothing that covers the skin.

1 Like

Look up the different spf qualities of regular oils like coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, etc. they all have very mild spf coverage which could be better than none

2 Likes

Your sister is correct and I’ll be glad when the rest of society catches up to this understanding.
My grandmother worked in the sun from a child to an elderly woman. In the late 80’s she started putting sunscreen on her face ONLY (because everyone was insisting that she needed to start wearing it). She never put it anywhere else. Keep in mind she continued to work in the sun all year long until the last few years of her life. She died in 2015. At this point she had skin cancer growths all over her face. The rest of her skin was flawless even tho neck/shoulders had just as much sun (if not more because she wore a sun hat that helped cover her face)…
It was at this point I realized that sunscreen was causing skin cancer.
I immediately stopped putting it on myself and my children. Today, I have the same growths starting to develop in all the places that I would cover in sunscreen. I’ve avoided the sun for a couple of decades and even wear long sleeve’s in the summer for the past 10 yrs. I’m currently 42 and was 36 when I stopped putting that garbage on me. Last week I had some of these places biopsied and they are in fact the same thing my grandmother had on her face. I have them on my arms and legs…… the areas where I diligently put sunscreen as a teenager and young adult. The areas where I didn’t use sunscreen (my face being one because my skin is sensitive and it burned like a chemical burn when I applied it) doesn’t have any signs of these growths.
This is not a coincidence.
I did some research and skin cancer was extremely rare until sunscreen became a common place thing.

13 Likes

I mean…your sister isn’t wrong, especially when this has just happened :woman_shrugging:

I’d be more inclined to stay to my own lane, and I love my nieces and nephews like they’re all my own children. But I respect my sister and sister in law’s parenting choices, as I’d hope, and know, they do mine.

17 Likes

Maybe just mind your business

10 Likes

Mind your own business

8 Likes

Imperfectfoods.com
I get all my stuff there.

1 Like

If you want to be a parent have a kid. In the interim, respect your place and stay in it. She isn’t obligated to keep her kids safe by your standards or cancer free.

5 Likes

She isn’t wrong… most sunscreens do more damage than good. Shade and protective uv clothing are perfectly fine to use.

** We use Think sunscreen. Its one of the cheaper, toxin free, and easy to rub in sunscreens we have found.

3 Likes

Only time my child ever burned was when sunscreen was put on her when my back was turned… and the truth is alot of sunscreens are dangerous!!

4 Likes

Chemical sunscreens are safe but if she really refuses to use them they make mineral sunscreens she could try. The ingredients will read zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. I wear sunscreen every day I couldn’t imagine not doing it. Skin cancer is no joke.
Hopefully she uses hats and clothing to help cover skin as well.

4 Likes

Sunshield- by earthly. Not a sunscreen (because your sister is correct) but it can filter out some harmful rays. I also don’t put sun screen on my kids anymore.

3 Likes

Get a chemical free sunscreen :woman_shrugging:t2:

One bad sunburn and your sister can be charged with child abuse for refusing to put sunscreen on her kids. There are safe options out there, she needs to do her research.

3 Likes

OH FFS. A chemical is any substance whose chemistry is known and defined. So, water is a chemical. There is nothing special about natural chemicals. Arsenic will kill you real quick. Sunscreen won’t.

5 Likes

I also leave my son the first 20min or so without sunblock. Natural vit D for their skin and health. Then a sunblock

3 Likes

Atzen Superior to Organic Skincare products located in Anderson. Beautiful Faces Your Spa away from the Beach

Why are you up in her business? Let her raise her own kids and mind your business. Wow

12 Likes

I get paid over $150+ per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20489 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

===> https://goodjobs33.netlify.app/

How about mind your business. Busy body! Sunscreen chemicals cause just as much if not more skin cancer. Your a horrible sister in law and you sound like a Karen!

17 Likes

Worried about what… they burning from the sun or the chemicals.

4 Likes

Maybe just stay out of it?

3 Likes

Your sister should of been swallowed.

4 Likes

The best sunscreen is diaper cream. I’m allergic to the sun and my daughter is extremely sensitive we were informed this by a md. It doesn’t matter what kind as long as it has zinc. People don’t like it because it’s sticky but it’s better than most high end screens and very safe

3 Likes

Your sister is smart. We don’t use sunscreen in my house either and I’m a Mom to four. Ever look at the ingredients in most skincare products? There are many other safer alternatives if you have skin that burns easily. I normally apply coconut oil with raspberry oil to nose and ahoukdwrau or use Badgers if I need something quickly and can’t make anything.

10 Likes

Wow some of you are assholes… she merely asked a question you all are a bunch of nasty Karen’s

This is a new thing, lots of moms don’t use sun screen because of this reason, whether the decision is right or wrong I don’t know

2 Likes

Mineral based sunblock are more natural I can’t use anything else. It burns my skin and eyes.

Tell her not to be a dick :roll_eyes:

Suntribe All Natural Zinc Sunscreen Face & Sport - SPF 30 - Organic - 100% Zinc - Reef Safe - 3 Ingredients - Water resistant - ORIGINAL WHITE (30 g) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Z88F94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N7J7J8FAJB286Q71GKTB

My kids use sunblock the first 2 days of direct sun and that’s it… guess I’m a bad mom too :woozy_face:

Do yourself and your sister a favor, mind your business.

If/when you have your own kids you can lather them in as much sunblock as ud like :pinched_fingers:

11 Likes

I don’t like to use sunscreen on my daughter bc of the chemicals however I use sunscreen with minerals in it. I use blue lizard on the face and goddess garden spray on the body . Any sunscreen that has minerals just make sure it has zinc oxide that’s the most important ingredient in sunscreen and also look for some that doesn’t contain alcohol in it that’s what burns the body from the sun. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I totally get how you feel
Especially as the hottest part of the day is between 11am and 3pm

If I took my very young kids outside during the day
They had sun screen on and
I had a shaded area (under a tampolin )
That they played under
Mind you I’m in Australia and it gets extremely hot here
I’m pretty sure q.v. has a natural sun screen for kids
Melanomas can happen to people of all ages
Even in young kids
only the effects are not always visible on the surface for many years
Even a freckle or a mole can turn into a malanoma

As long as you give her current medical advice
There isn’t anything else you can do
If you are watching her kids so she can run errands , rub some sun screen on her kids and if She whingers just tell her you do it automatically

3 Likes

Look at sun as a glass of water… the more unprotected sun yoj get, your glass fills up. It eventually over flows with skin cancer.

Dermatology nurse here!
We cut skin cancer off YOUNG adults ALL the time. Melanoma can KILL you.

Use a zinc based sunscreen. Pleaseeee sunscreen your kids.

3 Likes

They aren’t your kids. When you have your own kids you can raise them your way. I don’t speak to my sister because she inserts her opinions where it isn’t wanted. Becareful pushing your opinion on her. She may decide she’s had enough.

6 Likes

Don’t let your kids out in the sun, wear hats, tshirts remember SLIP SLOP SLAP. Sure there is a sunscreen with no harsh chemicals. I am from Oz

1 Like

Keep nagging your sister about how she raises her kids and she might cut you out of their life. Mind your own business. Even if my siblings tried coming at me with chemical free sunscreen I would tell them to fukk off.

I never used sunblock and 35 years later im fine. Not your kids stay in your own lane. I have always rocked an amazing tan . It is what it is

2 Likes

Sunscreen actually causes skin cancer. Research that. She’s doing the right thing. Mind your business.

6 Likes

We dont use sunscreen either. Your sister sounds like she has looked into this and they are doing what she sees is best. And you won’t change her mind just like she won’t change your mind.

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve never used sun screen on either one of my children, I make sure they drink lots of water and take breaks to sit in the air or share for a few after being in the sun for so long.
But it’s definitely a parents choice as to if they want to use the protection of sun screen or not. Everyone is different

2 Likes

I think it’s great you are looking out for your nieces/ nephews. It takes a village. I also applaud your choice to help your sister find a safe alternative. I read a few articles about this and they say to avoid the carcinogen benzene. I would suggest giving her this article.

4 Likes

Check Lush cosmetics

Skin cancer causes more cases of cancer than the sun. Mind your business and let her keep projecting her kids
I’m sure she already uses coconut oil or carrot seed oil.

3 Likes

u don’t have comment about sun screen but I have to add …
As I am some what older and bad as I hate to say it … ( not senior citizen old but middle age ) so I’m not sure about ur grandpa age but even at my age sunscreen wasn’t much of f a thing my younger years it wasn’t heard of so I’m guessing grampa was probably the same and didn’t start using sunscreen until later years…
So that can be argued.that the sunscreen didn’t work …

2 Likes

There are sunscreens that do not contain harsh chemicals. She can buy badgers or kiss my face, I know there are a few others but I can’t think of them atm… shoot if I were you I’d buy one & give it to her in a nice way like “omg sis look what I found, sunscreen for the kids that doesn’t have those harsh chems, I got it for you to try!”

4 Likes

I am a derm nurse. Use only physical sunscreen where the ingredients say zinc or titanium. Those are better than the chemical sunscreens.

1 Like

Mineral based sunscreens are best if you have a very fair skinned child that tends to burn. Unless your sisters kids are walking around with sun poisoning then I would mind your business. And judging by the way she has researched for her kids safety, I sure she wouldn’t allow that either.

3 Likes

Worry about your own kids, I think u should do some research

5 Likes

For those of you saying you’re fine… you’re correct… For now, you ain’t out of the woods yet, but what about the others who weren’t so lucky? Sunscreen doesn’t stop you from getting a tan, it protects your skin from the ultra violet rays that causes skin cancer and others. If one of the kids die or get badly sick, knock that dumb b into next week! That’s all I got.

1 Like

We only use sunscreen sometimes, and when we do it’s organic sunscreen with zinc.
She’s done her own research and doing what she has decided is best for her children. It’s not your place to tell her otherwise.

12 Likes

Tell her everything is a chemical and she needs to do better

3 Likes

If my daughter , dad and I don’t ware sunscreen we burn like lobsters , we are red heads

Y’all are being awful rude to someone who is just trying to help. Cut the shit out and offer safe alternatives like she asked or actual facts about it or keep scrolling.

Girl sit down… your sister kids aren’t the only kids in the world who don’t wear sunscreen

16 Likes

Probably just let her raise her own children. Usually the best idea when it comes to other peoples children. :woman_shrugging:t2:

17 Likes

Thinkbaby is a great clean brand

1 Like

Blue lizard sunscreen

1 Like

I don’t use sunscreen unless we’re by water… they are your sister’s children and unless they are severely sunburned it’s not your place to get involved… the kids are coming in with burns then I would say something… not everybody has to parent the same way you do

6 Likes

Leave it to a post about sunscreen of all things, to get the pent up mom’s foaming at the mouth and ready to go. :joy:

8 Likes

Sunscreen is pretty bad. Mine was allergic to sunscreen and i still use Blue Lizard. Shed burn without anything. I dont wear sunscreen but kids skin is much more delicate

2 Likes

I don’t use sunscreen for the same reason. We buy suits that cover the shoulders, wear hats, and limit exposure and my kids never burn.

3 Likes

You did hear about all those sun screening in the news last year right 99.9 percent of them even organic :v:t2: have some deadly chemicals they found making people sick and making them burn 3x as bad !!! My daughter got a third degree burn from two different ones !! :warning: I would let her decided ps maybe buy the kids sets of swim suite with long sleeves shorts and sun hats as a I love you this will help

4 Likes

This is gonna be a tough one, but let your sister figure things out for HER kids by herself. It’s not your place to raise them or to tell her how to raise them. It takes 0 effort to just mind your own.

3 Likes

There was no sunscreen when grandpa was a boy :rofl:

6 Likes

Eh my daughter is read head and we only use sunscreen when we swim. It’s not a big deal. My husband doesn’t use sunscreen at all.

1 Like

How about back off? Not your kids so not your problem. Easy peasy :woman_shrugging::rofl:

2 Likes

I think there are organic sunscreens now. I could be wrong tho…

Get her an Aloe Vera plant for some all natural after sun care for those kiddos :slight_smile:

I mean this as nice as possible…
Stay in your lane

6 Likes

Still don’t use sun screen on myself n still haven’t had any issues. My kids depend on how hot it is out and how long we will be out. But I don’t force my kids to put it on its their choice so maybe since they aren’t your kids you should accept its not your choice? If you have a problem with it help her find healthy alternatives

2 Likes

Your sister is their mother, PLENTY of people don’t wear sunscreen. Let her parent her own kids…

6 Likes

Of she’s worried about chemicals in sunscreen the all natural solution is to cover the kids head to toe in mud and let it dry. Natural sun protection

2 Likes

ThinkBaby is a great mineral sunscreen.

Not your kids so not your business tbh. Sunscreens have been known to be awful for quite a few reasons. If she chooses not to use them, her choices.

3 Likes

As an Aussie tell her to put long sleeves in her kids. Head to toe. Sunscreen is a lot safe then sun cancer

Sunscreen is the biggest scam going. Why would you think its ok to slab yourself in a tube of chemicals and then make sure to bake it into your skin by sitting in the sun. Health stores have non toxic sun screen.

10 Likes

Mineral sunscreens are the way to go but also it IS ok if you dont use any and sounds like she does do some preventative by having them in the shade for 15 mins every 15 mins… if they arent burning i say let it be… any kind of sunscreen will actually block vitamin D…. And certain sunscreens once it hits chlorine is when it has some sort effect where it can then cause skin cancer… mineral sunscreen does not plus is safer for wild life as well… i would definitely use that if my kids and i are either at the pool or beach… but any other time limit time in sun and shade, alternating

1 Like

Not your kids. Mind your business. The only time we use sunscreen is when we go swimming… her kids will be fine…

8 Likes

Gramps sunscreen was quite lame, if that her excuse.
“Turns out, the protective sunblock that we’ve doused our children with is relatively new. “In the '60s and '70s all we had was suntan lotion with an SPF of 2, to take a little edge off the sun,” Dr. Rigel said. “The first SPF 15 was introduced in 1986 and 30 SPF not until the early '90s”
(NYTimes)

2 Likes

My kids play outside all day with no su screen. Mainly use it at the beach or if they aren’t wearing shorts and tee shirts. They RARELY get even a little red. A light base tan basically.

That’s called “Ignorance”

My dermatologist gave me blue lizard years ago. Depending on where she lives she should rethink it. They have all kinds online that are kid friendly

An easy google search will turn up results for this

That said… I didn’t speak to my SIL for years bc of stuff like this and we had this EXACT issue… I only put on chemical free and I didn’t ALWAYS put it on, I’m a fan of vitamin D too. I think my SIL like you was genuinely worried for my kids, ALL THE TIME… and believed I was doing EVERYTHING wrong… it slowly destroyed our relationship. In raising children, there’s no right and wrong. There’s a whole set of pros and cons that go along with all parenting techniques. YOURS TOO!!! My advice is step out of your self righteousness and let your SIL make choices for her own kids WITHOUT your judgement. She thinks you are harming your kids when you put cancer causing chemicals all over them… but I bet she zips her lip

12 Likes

I don’t recommend babygancics kind, its like the thickest toothpaste of a sunscreen.

1 Like

Look up all the sunscreens that got pulled a couple years ago because they have chemicals that cause it.
We don’t use anything either and protect ourselves as .much as possible.

1 Like

Rash guards I have seen used as a UV deterrent also

Mind your business and parent your children the way you want and let your sister parent her children the way she wants.

That’s what you should do.

19 Likes

Coconut oil is a natural sun protector. I wasn’t sure it would work because when you think “oil”, you think of tanning, but I’ve used it on scorching days and it works great.

2 Likes

Just mind your own business. They are her kids and not yours. Most of the people from my generation never wore sunscreen when we went outside all day long and most of us aren’t dying from skin cancer.

5 Likes

I only put sunscreen on 2 of my 5 the 2 are the ones that burn they got there daddy’s fair skin. Vitamin D is important and the only natural source of vitamin d is the sun…sunscreen blocks vitamin d from being absorbed into the skin. I have an auto immune that makes me vitamin d deficient to start out causing all kind of issues. I need the unblocked sun or I have to take a supplement which I do anyway because 75% of ur skin needs to be exposed to the sun for a few hrs everyday to get the proper amount of vitamin d from the sun and for me that’s impossible.

1 Like

Mind your business and leave her alone……

7 Likes

girl mind your business :rofl:

7 Likes

If your sister’s children were any harms way that is on your sister not you. She made a position clear and you either respected her you don’t. Do not enforce your beliefs her on her you were causing more serious problem.

3 Likes

It’s called stay in your lane, they’re not your kids. It’s not your call. Let it go.

8 Likes

As long as they aren’t “fried”, they’re fine. Let her parent her way. Although making them stop playing every 15 minutes to sit in the shade is a bit much, IMO. Everybody parents different.

2 Likes

Australian lizard I found is great

Arbonne. I love all their baby and kids products