My sister refuses to put sunscreen on her kids

It’s her choice butt out

I’d be more concerned with the fact grandpa had skin cancer as it can be hereditary. I have melanoma And my 3 kids and myself absolutely use sunscreen. My husband chooses not to, but he’s a grow adult. His choice. I’ll protect my 3 kids though. My oldest is 15 and is pretty responsible in using it. My twins are 3. If they carry the gene I’d rather not feel like I contributed to any possible skin issues because I didn’t wanna use sunscreen. Know better, do better. They have plenty of options out there for chemical free sunscreens!

2 Likes

We don’t use sunscreen much, and both my girls are very white but have Puerto Rican in them so they tan really nice, my youngest I just do her shoulders and face, my oldest is more white so I put it on her when I see her getting pink for 1 or 2 days and then she’s tan (jealous mom here, I just burn) I have them drink plenty of water and take breaks, they have never gotten sunburn

Actually, quite a few sunscreens have cancer causing ingredients in them, so I understand your sister’s hesitancy. At a recent visit to the dermatologist, my husband took his 6-7 odd brands of sunscreens with him so the Doctor could tell him which were OK/safe for him to use (he has had basal cells/melanomas in the past). Only one made the cut!! She should ask a dermatologist for recommendations!!

5 Likes

I use sunblock, not sunscreen. Thinkbaby is great and on EWG.org for being one of the “cleanest” sun protection products. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

“You” feel like it’s not good enough. Read that again.

4 Likes

Skin cancer doesn’t care what race you are. My son has melanocytosis in both eyes and my family has had several people get skin cancer, lung cancer, bone cancer and brain tumors.

My family is Mexican, Irish and Indian. Yes we tan very easy but I still use sunscreen because once again cancer doesn’t discriminate…

2 Likes

Girl mind your business. Let mom be mom and support her instead of mom shaming

4 Likes

They now sell clothing that is UV protectant.

3 Likes

this is the same as I got the vaccine and still got covid…

8 Likes

Baby Ray, Baby Ray, Funny but true. :grin:

:woman_facepalming:t2: mind your own business. You told her how you feel, that’s all you can do. What would you gain from posting about that here? Want us to yell at her?

4 Likes

There’s a new brand called “mindYourbusiness” that most moms love!

14 Likes

My doctor in 1998 told me not to use sunscreen on my littles, he said they put it on the market with not enough research. He said 20 years more will have health issues from chemicals than skin cancer. He suggested white cotton clothing or light… hats with wide rims… he told me anything with zinc oxide willbe thick but will stay on top of skin other wise all chemicals go directly into skin and bloodstream…He was educated in the UK …was a doctor in Africa for a few years before coming to Canada… He was as close to natural medicine and honesty I have ever met. 36 years then he and his partner / wife shared their practice so one would be home with their littles. His wife was also an amazing Dr.

15 Likes

My kids and myself are allergic to sunscreen, she’s doing what I do :woman_shrugging:t2: as long as they are not getting burned I don’t see the issue.

12 Likes

I got the uv protection swim suits. Maybe she could try that?

1 Like

Google? :joy: you took more time posting this than actually looking it up. What are you gonna do if you actually find someone to protect them if she doesn’t want her kids to use it?
Just mind your own business.

9 Likes

Red raspberry seed oil offers good sun protection & it’s natural…there is an organic option. You can buy it for her as a present

1 Like

Your nieces and nephews are fine and thanks to their mom they probably won’t end up with skin cancer from the harsh chemicals in sunscreens. It sounds like maybe your sister has researched and you haven’t. I’d recommend you do, and if you’re still itching to put some sunscreen on them there’s a great one called mindyourown! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Kids need sunshine. It produces vitamin D and it is the only way to produce another vital chemical in your body. Know the science before you judge

11 Likes

Tell her to imagine the chemicals used to treat someone with cancer, much worse than the chemicals in sun cream

1 Like

I don’t use sunscreen on my kiddos unless we’re going swimming, swimming is the only time they even get remotely burned :joy:
Mind your biz

5 Likes

Lol People from my generation didn’t even what suescreens was

3 Likes

I’ve seen studies conducted on cats. One group was fed a whole diet and exposed to the sun. Second group was fed a diet typical to Americans and had the same level of sun exposure. The group with the crap diet had cancer and the group who ate nutritional food did not get cancer. Sunscreen does have harmful chemicals. The sun is good for us, we literally need sun exposure. If your sister feeds her family a healthy diet I wouldn’t be too concerned. Also you can look into mineral sun screen which is much healthier. At the end of the day it’s your sisters life, her children, her decisions. If she is refusing, it’s for a good reason. Your sister does not want her children to get cancer! Each parent wants what’s best for their children and this is how she feels so it’s best to be respectful.

4 Likes

Sunscreen is not safe. Period.

5 Likes

Humanity has survived for millions of years without using sunscreen. Stop telling your sister how to raise her kids. Not your problem.

9 Likes

There is tons of evidence saying that the sunscreens we use might play a huge role in skin cancer. Let her make choices for her kids, you can speak your concern but they are her babies so I wouldn’t push it. She most likely has done a bit of research herself to come to her decision. My kids rarely wear sunscreen and they are pale complected with light blonde hair. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Blue lizard Australian sunscreen. It’s chemical free and reef safe. With the damage to the ozone we’re getting more exposure to the uva and uvb rays.

3 Likes

I’m benefited by a game. My daughter learns so many things through this game.so I’m sharing this kids game with you . This game is good for baby & toddler memory development. The repetitive learning games help in memorizing the alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, animals, and many more popular things. ‎Pre-k Learning Games for Kids on the App Store
Hopefully it will help your kids :smiling_face:

Not your kids. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Mind your own business.

4 Likes

I don’t mean this in a bad way - are her children light complexed - I am a Native/ Mexican and we never use sunscreen

1 Like

Well you can still get sun burn even in the shade or cloudy weather. Let her do her thing. When all her kids get sun burned and are screaming maybe she will change her mind. They do have like all natural sun screens. But I wouldn’t press the issue too hard unless the kids are ending up with horrific burns

Badger is a good one non toxic

I think Arbonne sunscreen may be a real good choice - check and see .

No, you’re not. If you were legitimately worried about them, you’d be researching sunscreens. Valid research. Not asking fb. Not submitting this question, with no idea how long it’d take to be posted and get you some answers you shouldn’t even take seriously.

1 Like

Mindyabusiness is cheap and very reliable.

6 Likes

I got something for you how about you mind your damn business and worry about you and your own kid if your sister she’s a smart one she knows that those chemicals are bad for you you want to go ahead and put them on your kids into each his own but let her be

They make kids sunscreen and sunscreen for babies that should be safe

1 Like

Well zinc is more safe and affective that should be the go to for small children

Mind your own kids :pinched_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I am 80 years old now and played outdoors all the time as a kid. I have spent a lot of time outdoors as an adult. Have gotten sunburnt many times. Never use sunscreen and I have no skin cancers and no other cancers. But I am only one person

2 Likes

i’m mixed (white & black) i i use sun screen because it’s very important

1 Like

I’m pretty sure if your sister is worried about harsh chemicals in sunscreen she’s most likely very protective over how she views their health in other areas of their lives. Just because you’ve fed into the narrative that without sunscreen you’ll get skin cancer doesn’t mean she has to follow that as well. Many people go without sunscreen and get sunburn without skin cancer. Mind your business

4 Likes

They aren’t your kids so leave her be. I never used sunscreen and I’m a ginger, same for my daughter we don’t use it for her either. My son occasionally uses it but not really.

2 Likes

Some people believe is the sunscreen that causes the cancer… not the sun.

4 Likes

One single sunburn during your childs life canincrease their chance of skin cancer by 50%. I understand your concern. Just look up some facts n send them n maybe a quick google search to find a good sunscreen !!

3 Likes

Im so sorry these ppl are telling you to mind your business…heaven forbid you give a dang about your family. Keep caring…dont let all these neg nellys make ya feel bad. Id be coatin them myself !! Lol

5 Likes

Dont let these neglectful Mothers change your mind. Sunscreen is best. Talk to a doctor…not opinions of ppl who “havenot had skin cancer” YET !!! KEEP CARING. These wo.en are clearly very unhappy w themselves to lash out. Theyre youre family too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Yall are very uneducated and ignorant. Im a Nurse…its a myth !! Sunscreen doesnt cause cancer !!

7 Likes

I’m Irish and German, I burn very very easily. I don’t really have a preference on sun screen but I was told about this brand - I have never used it though!

i never used sunscreen in sun as a kid amd i grew up in fl…i dont use it ony kids and never did when we lived in fl for a year either when we were outside…UNLESS i knew we were going to be directly in the sun or on the beach…

start by minding ur own business. just because u think its the right thing to do doesn’t mean she should do it because u think its the right thing. let her do her mom thing and u do urom thing

1 Like

We don’t use sunscreen. Either we limit our time in the sun or we cover up. These are some good alternatives :point_down:

4 Likes

Kiss My Face products are amazing! They are cruelty free, eco friendly, and have been around forever. I have very sensitive skin, and because they do not have chemicals such as parabens they never irritate my face.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kiss+my+face+sunscreen+children&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS716US716&hl=en-US&ei=f1N9Yt7cGovbtQa41LOYDA&oq=kiss+my+face+sunscreen+children&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgMyBQghEKABOgcIABBHELADOgcIABCwAxBDOhIILhDHARCjAhDIAxCwAxBDGAE6EgguEMcBENEDEMgDELADEEMYAToFCAAQgAQ6BAgAEENKBQg4EgExSgQIQRgAUM0LWL4iYLEnaAFwAXgAgAGbAYgB8QeSAQMzLjaYAQCgAQHIAQ7AAQHaAQQIARgI&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Everytime you get sunburned you increase the chance of getting skin cancer. Both my parents had it and several aunts and uncles… and they were from a time when there wasn’t sunscreen. Long sleeve lite weight shirts and a hat for the face especially. Both my dad and mom had skin cancer on their faces. So for me I would at least try not to let them get sunburned. Let a tan build up slowly a few hours a day until burning isn’t an issue.

2 Likes

She is being really stupid

1 Like

The people saying mind your business are assholes :woman_shrugging:t3:
Obviously you care about your nieces and/or nephews well being. Tell your sister to do some more research, she sounds like an ignorant idiot who is going to pay at the cost of her children’s skin health. There are hundreds of sunscreens made specifically for children.

1 Like

Put t shirts on them to avoid burning on their backs ,shoulders, chest as far as their faces and legs :thinking:no idea!

2 Likes

I say “mind your own business!”

7 Likes

Well for starters not your business but several brands like Badger (you can easily google sit) don’t use harsh chemicals. You could also make your own & give it to her.

2 Likes

Sadly at the end of the day, it is your sisters choice.

I don’t put sunscreen on 2/3 kids because I have two kids with skin like mine and and my baby has skin like his daddy . Everyone is different .

6 Likes

There are safe sunscreens at natural food stores

1 Like

Zinc based ones. Badger is one.

2 Likes

I agree with your sister

7 Likes

Tell her the sunscreen from then is different then sunscreen now .

Omg the comments :see_no_evil: I fear for humanity at times…:rofl::roll_eyes::person_facepalming:

14 Likes

Lime life has. Sunny bunny one i use on my kiddos! No harsh ingredients or chemicals!

1 Like

I can only put sunscreen on my youngest as my oldest ends up with a worse burn when I put it on him, everyone’s skin is different

3 Likes

Look into doterra sunscreen

1 Like

Every year EWG.org writes their “clean sunscreen guide.” (It usually comes out this time of year.) Check it out at https://www.ewg.org/

3 Likes

Barrier type. Zinc oxide. It’s hot to wear, but much safer for you.

Badger makes a good one, but it’s pricey.
Blue Lizard is also good.

These comments are why the only friends I have is my kids :flushed::woman_facepalming::rofl:

10 Likes

Im sure your grandpa didn’t wear it when he was younger which is why he got skin cancer later in life. I worked at a dermatology office and we seen this all the time with older patients. But they are her kids so really there is nothing you can do except suggest non toxic options. My opinion i put sunscreen on my kids but not everyone is the same!

2 Likes

Bull frog is literally the only sun screen I can use, bc I’m allergic to everything else. We were outside the other day, my kids were mostly in the shade, in the sun a little bit, I got sun burnt (has never happened to me in my life) so bad I got sun poisoning. My kiddos were fine.

Tell her to feed them tomatoes…it’s natural sunscreen. Yea sun screen gives ppl cancer

1 Like

Smart woman mind ur business her choice

5 Likes

For thousands of years ppl used natural healing remedies. However that changed When it was learned medicine could be made from petroleum. When US’s top oil mogul came onto the scene, He bought the German pharmaceutical company that created weapons of war for Adolf Hitler, then leveraged his political power to “convince” congress to declare natural healing remedies unscientific.
He then took control of the AMA and offered grants to top medical schools under the mandate only his approved curriculum be taught. Any mention of healing through herbs, plants, diet was erased from most medical textbooks & any doctors who objected to the new “standard” were removed from the AMA and stripped of their medical license to teach and practice medicine. Those who dared to speak out were arrested and jailed.
When evidence began to leak out that petroleum based medicines were causing cancer, this man then created the American cancer society where he conveniently suppressed this information. 
This one man is dually credited as the founder of the pharmaceutical industry. And possibly why medical error is the 3rd leading cause of death in America.
Every year The pharmaceutical industry spends at least twice the amount as big oil to influence laws , policies and public perception. That seems like a ridiculous amount of power one man had to literally change the course of history and how we treat illnesses.
So, perhaps your sister has done some research and refuses to use sun screen on her children because she has educated herself on this subject. 

6 Likes

She can make her own sunscreen or spend a $$$$$$ on chemical free stuff.
But you can’t really control her or force her to use it. You can only encourage or make it available when you are around.

1 Like

Smart sister - maybe follow her lead :+1::blush:

9 Likes

Any sunscreen with Zinc oxide and Titanium oxide are safe and effective. The chemical ingredients found in many newer sunscreens are not safe.

2 Likes

Sunscreens have carcinogens. There are natural based sunscreens. But they all rinse off. It’s best to cover with polyester and go inside at noon-3pm

3 Likes

Try Whole Foods, Natural Grocers or other health food stores. There’s quite a selection. Btw when your grandpa was a kid, sunscreens and sunblock did not exist-we had sun tan lotion.

1 Like

Back in 80s i dont even know what lotion is for …sunscreen?-no idea if ever exist… living in tropical hot sun everyday whole year, we are just fine running whole day outside playing… Dont worry, dear… most of us survive without getting skin darken color as an adult.

2 Likes

I know of a European standard (SUPER CLEAN vs US) sunscreen I use on my babies with extremely sensitive skin and it’s been great :slightly_smiling_face:

My daughter breaks out with any type of sunscreen. She has really sensitive skin. Long sleeves that are breathable and a little baggy are good. But honestly I do the same thing. I limit sun time if there’s no cover or shade. But I also let her enjoy her youth. We choose to go out earlier in the morning or later in the evening. The UV sun index for your area is also somthing helpful to use because you can see how strong the UV rays will be for the day, etc. I try to Avoid the strongest sun rays of the day. As long as the kids aren’t getting burned its fine. It always helps to put aloe on the skin after sun exposure even if they aren’t burnt . But I make sure to use it only when she is completely done playing outside for the day. Because Aloe on the skin will intensify the UV rays when in the sun, making the burns worse.
But all in all it sounds like your sister cares about her children and will make the best choices for them based on their needs.

2 Likes

One time I woke up late for an appointment, got in my car and what do you know, car is on E. What happen next was something I thought I would never live to witness. I was more than a little shaken up this morning as I was robbed at the gas station. Never in a million years would I think this would happen to me. After my hands stopped trembling I managed to call the police. They were quick to respond and manage to calm me down. My money is all gone :disappointed:. My child just witness me being robbed. The police got there and asked me if I knew who did it. I said yes as a matter of fact I do
It was pump 4

So anyway idk any sunscreens to tell you about but I would have just slap the sunscreen on my niece and nephews backs and called it a day :woman_shrugging:t2: too aggressive? Oh well

4 Likes

I never wore sunscreen in my entire life so I wouldn’t know.

My son has been allergic to sunscreen his whole life. He is 14 now. I would just always have him where a shirt at the beach and in the water. Same with the pool. He can’t share pool floats bc of someone else’s sunscreen being on it. They kids will be ok.

As a former competitive swimmer… you NEED protection!!! One bad burn increases your chance of skin cancer A LOT.
Look at the older generations that used baby oil, their skin looks like an old alligator.
I thank my mom daily she put sunblock on me in the 80s because my skin has zero wrinkles and I’m mid 40s.

Swim shirts with spf.

Maybe check out Sunbum products

Mud! :upside_down_face: it’s all natural. :upside_down_face: or clay.