My sister refuses to put sunscreen on her kids

I only use sunscreen on one of my kids because I know no matter what she will burn like me so severe that there will ne blisters my other 2 will get burnt slightly then tan in… and they tan the rest of the year. They are her kids she knows what’s best

2 Likes

If my sister overstepped like that I’d seriously lose it

8 Likes

Why do you think she is wrong? There are two sides on this , are you willing to listen to her reasoning with an open mind? Just because she is going against the mainstream doesn’t mean she is wrong.
They are her kids and she is doing what she feels its best.

4 Likes

Yeah they have a bigger risk of the kids getting skin cancer from the sun by not wearing sunscreen than they ever will from sunscreen. And you can buy better brands that leave out a lot of the chemicals…. so yeah I would be worried too 

3 Likes

She’s right and I do what she does, have my kids switch from Sun to shade.

10 Likes

Beauty counter has a mineral sunscreen that I use on my kids.

2 Likes

I hardly ever use sunscreen. We do a lot of SPF long sleeve shirts. When I do use it, it’s only very specific non toxic brands. If someone, especially a family member, was worried about my kids due to this I would laugh at them. Most sunscreens are more harmful than the sun.

7 Likes

Tubby Todd has awesome products!

:laughing: these comments kill me
I use 70 spf everyday have for years. If you’re worried about cancer don’t breathe air ever. Don’t drink water as the chemicals used to clean them.

11 Likes

Sunscreen is HORRIBLE!

3 Likes

I worked in a dermatologist office for 3 years. Alot of offices carry sunscreen that is mineral based I highly recommend the Elta brand for sunscreen bit pricey but it works and no harsh chemicals.

2 Likes

Mind your business. She’s probably already done research.

6 Likes

The sun isn’t the problem. Diet is. High PUFA diet and lack of vitamin c. The world hasn’t always had sunscreen. But badger has a good one. In the end it’s her kids and she is going to do what she thinks it’s best for them. Mainstream sunscreen is garbage. I’m right there with her.

5 Likes

They aren’t your kids and you can’t force her.

6 Likes

Maybe she’ll change her mind after her kids get blisters & burns that cause them to scream bloody murder…that hurt them so bad, no mother wants her kids in pain.

Most baby sunscreens are more natural. That’s the only kind we use

2 Likes

I can’t imagine not using sunscreen on your children. Honestly alot of these responses are pretty shocking. I think you are expressing a legitimate concern while respecting her wishes for a natural product. I cannot recommend a “natural” one but my family uses the neutrogena 70SPF for adults and children. The kids also have the SPF shirts which are great. You can buy them at target, walmart, lands end.
I find it really shocking people are like well so and so still got skin cancer so might as well not use sun screen like REALLY?! there are so many other contributing factors. That is such bizarre reasoning. Protect your skin folks!!

I find it odd so many people are against sunscreen but I am guessing a good percentage of those people drink, smoke, and/or eat fast food. :woozy_face:

6 Likes

We use babyganics brand for sunscreen. and bug repellent, bubble bath, etc.

If y’all wanna check the products you’re using or interested in using on your kids I’d highly suggest downloading Think Dirty. It’s an app that tells you which products are the safest and least harmful

2 Likes

Do her kids get sunburnt? If not, leave them alone.

9 Likes

They’re her kids :woozy_face: people need to stop overstepping their boundaries. Worry about your kids, and let other moms worry about theirs. What’s right for mine, ain’t always right for yours. Sheesh, do people not have jobs? Hobbies? Too much time to worry about things that don’t concern you…

10 Likes

Mind your business and let her raise her kids. I never use sunscreen and neither do my kids. We don’t need it. Stop trying to dictate her life. Most sunscreen actually contributes to skin cancer due to the chemical breakdown from sun exposure.

7 Likes

Badger Baby is our favorite.

1 Like

Get her some that are made with minerals

1 Like

Wow!!! Y’all need to do some serious research about the sun

3 Likes

My MIL used to cover my daughter in sunscreen. I mean All the time no matter what, when she was a child. It Drove me crazy! But I was a young mom, scared and timid and didn’t speak up. I personally am italian so I’m always Tan and I tan very easily in the summer sun. I dont think ive ever even had a sun burn. . My daughter is now almost 20 and has Never ever had a tan. She’s tried so many times but her skin became so sensitive to the sun that all she does is burn awfully. She can’t even be outside without covering up anymore bc her skin turns red instantly and rashes up. Or burns so badly it peels and blisters with minimal exposure to the sun. She’s had to pay for spray tans for special events like dances, prom, beach vacations growing up. I even own a Tanning bed and she could NEVER go in it. I truly believe my ex MIL ruined my daughter’s skin with the amount of sunscreen she kept on her skin as a child. My daughter’s the only Italian girl I kno who is extremely pale skinned and can not hold ANY color. It burns then goes right back to pale white. No tan.

5 Likes

Not your kids. Not your life. Mind your business. A lot of people are so worried about what’s going on in other people’s lives like theirs is perfect.

18 Likes

I’ve never used sunscreen on my babe either.
Not your child, not your business. :relaxed:

10 Likes

No it’s her kids other natural stuff is better. I’m on her side. Vitamin C …

5 Likes

I read sunscreen has been proven to be a carcinogen

3 Likes

By wearing sunscreen, you are lathering all those chemicals then baking them in the sun on your largest organ.

12 Likes

My kids absorb the sun.

2 Likes

Not your monkeys not your circus! Stop telling someone else what to do with THEIR children! Damn I would have already told you off if you were my sister!

There are plenty of brands that are natural. Them babies need Sunscreen

3 Likes

I barely wore sunscreen as a child and my kids rarely wear it :woman_shrugging:t2: kinda feel like you need to mind your own business on this one

14 Likes

Seriously mind your business and worry about yourself and your own kids (if you even have any)

I don’t personally agree with not putting sunblock on kids (mine get lathered in it) but those are MY KIDS. Just like those are YOUR SISTERS KIDS. And I can understand your worry, but she already told you how she feels and you need to either accept that and respect it or leave her alone.

7 Likes

Have her look up EWG Skin Deep, she can look at tons of commonly available products, how they rate in terms of toxins, and learn some alternatives to use. She can find a safe natural sunscreen. :roll_eyes: You can’t do anything, except make helpful suggestions.

3 Likes

Mind your own business, worry about your own kids.

1 Like

I don’t use sunscreen often, we are outdoors all year round so we gradually build a tan and don’t burn. I usually use organic coconut oil on our skin in the evenings

Lol you people are toxic af…idk if many of you don’t know how to read but it literally says above bashing each other is not tolerated and that’s exactly what the majority of the people on this post are doing :rofl::woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

The sunscreen is called mind yo business you can find it at not Cho kids inc

18 Likes

The only time we use sunscreen is at the beach or the water park other then that my kids don’t wear it. They play outside all day and we have a pool and don’t wear it.

3 Likes

How about just mind your damn business? Worry about your OWN life and your OWN kids. Do I think she should put sunscreen on her kids? Absolutely. My kids get sunscreen any time we are outside whether it’s cloudy, rainy, or sunny. Is it anybody else’s place to try and convince her to do something she has already said no to? Absolutely not. If you can’t handle this, then step away. But pushing her is going to damage your relationship. These are HER kids and this is her choice.

1 Like

She’s right, you’re wrong.
Listen to her. :rofl:

5 Likes

We opt for light, long sleeves and hats. Big hats lol
Hate sun screen so much!

Johnson & Johnson sunscreens were recalled for the carcinogens found in their products. Maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to judge others and their parenting skills but rather learn from your own mistakes

2 Likes

Not really your business

7 Likes

I never wore sunscreen as a child unless we were going to the beach or pool where we’d be in bathing suits :one_piece_swimsuit: (showing more skin) & boys were shirtless. But just to be outside playing… nope. We were fine with our regular clothes on. AND we didn’t even take a rest from the sun. So your sister is mindful of it and I think you need to chill.
They’re fine and you’re being dramatic.

9 Likes

Wow who needs enemies eh?

2 Likes

There is NO EXCUSE for not using AT LEAST mineral-based sunscreens, hats, and sun-protective clothing.
To use nothing is just lazy, dangerously ignorant parenting.

3 Likes

I NEVER used sunscreen. Still don’t to this day. Do I force my kids to wear it? Nope. One is native and barely burns the other is white as a ghost and all I can do is warn him about what will happen if he doesn’t put sunscreen on. If he burns, I will help him through it with aloe but also laugh at him hahaha cuz I did warn him :laughing:

1 Like

Mind your own business. Her kids her choices

Ok but there is Google.

Badger balm, California baby, and thinkbaby. Use ewg.org for toxicity ratings.

1 Like

If it’s extreme exposure wear hats or long sleeves

2 Likes

I don’t put sunscreen on my kids they are allergic to it also if I use sunscreen I blister and burn but if I don’t use it I just tan

1 Like

Its her choice what she does with her kids its nice of you to care but at the end of the day you cant make your sister do anything she doesnt wanna do.

1 Like

I never really use sunscreen on my 3 year old, he doesn’t burn and never has. I can’t use it on almost 5 month old because he’s allergic. It’s her kids, as long as they aren’t in danger(she makes them take breaks so I’m sure they’re fine), back off.

3 Likes

Yes sunscreen is important I would let her know brands that are chemical free but then I would keep my nose outta it

3 Likes

I used blue lizard it is mineral based worked well for my granddaughter at the beach for 2days in the sun

1 Like

That is the problem people think they know what is right for you …even when you mean well

Coming from someone who lost their father quickly and painfully to melanoma not too long ago - skin cancer does not discriminate to age, genetics, etc. I love that you care and there is nothing wrong with gentle suggestions. I use Badger and think baby. Extreme sun like Fl, coppertone which is not chemical free though. Burn or tan - it’s all skin damage.

Sun protecting swim gear and hats help if lotion isn’t wanted. RuggedButts.com has adorable UPF swimsuits.

7 Likes

I’ve only ever got chemical burn from the spray sunblock, I was told by the er doctor it’s because there’s a butane like fluid in it so we only used lotion and have never had an issue with the lotion.

My kids never use sunscreen

2 Likes

Lord have mercy what did we do before sunscreen :rofl::rofl: I don’t wear sunscreen and I burn sometimes but never as bad as I did with sunscreen on honestly the burn without the sunscreen is way less intense than it is with sunscreen

3 Likes

face south and rub a white birch tree natural sunscreen

Mind your business? Worry about your own kiddos if you have them? Those are a couple of ideas that come to mind

7 Likes

She can literally look up sunscreen with no harmful ingredients and that’s natural. Kids need sunscreen

1 Like

Can’t see your face but the dress is beautiful.

Mind your own business and quit putting cancer causing sunscreen on your kids

11 Likes

There are options. Thank you for caring. yes !! They need sunscreen !!! Do some research and maybe buy her some ??

1 Like

I don’t use it on me or my children. She’s smart

6 Likes

Your gonna save yourself a lot of stress if you stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and mind your own business.

8 Likes

Blue lizard sunscreen

I don’t use sunscreen on my kids either. It’s a personal choice, a choice that you shouldn’t even be worrying about since they aren’t your children.

9 Likes

We love skin so soft products for bug and sun plus it’s safe for babies and pets too

So the comment section isn’t going how you planned?

8 Likes

We never use sunscreen. It’s so bad for you. She sounds like she knows what she is doing. A good mix of sun and shade will make sure they don’t burn and they can build a gradual tan that will protect them from burns. Melanin is a wonderful thing! It sounds like maybe you need to talk with your sister more and do more research into what she is doing. She sounds like a good mom.

6 Likes

I never used sunscreen as a kid and I have very healthy skin. My step sister used it normally and has healthy skin. It’s not like she’s just throwing her kids under the uv rays and saying simmer till your brown. She’s aware and it seems they haven’t burned yet. Mind your business. You’re just causing yourself extra stress. And even if you tell her about the natural ones, you think she’s gonna use them? Probably not.

2 Likes

my kids never wore sunscreen , and she is in the right to not want her to exposed to such harsh chemicals . we are suppose to stay in the shade and wear long sleeve — the only sunscreen that actually works and is not as dangerous is the kind that stays on top of your skin (white usually) and does not get absorbed…also MIND YOUR OWN BUISNESS

4 Likes

your grandpa still got cancer from the sun…even tho he used sunscreen? exactly…did you ever think he got cancer from the sunscreen that’s filled with harsh chemicals?

2 Likes

I have 3 red headed children. While I use pure zinc oxide on their face and ears most sunscreen are chemical garbage that do cause cancer. We use sun blocking clothing and try to keep them out of the sun when the sun is brightest and keep them in the shade periodically. Good for your sister.

1 Like

I like the idea of doing some research yourself and buying her some. I understand the concern for your nephews. My nephews grew up close to me. I love them very much. Having that said, the ultimate choice and decision belongs to their mom. At the end of the day, you have to respect that.

Her kids her problem her choice. :woman_shrugging:
Not much you can do about it. Trying to control it will just drive you crazy and cause bitterness between you two. Love her for where she is at.

1 Like

There are all natural sunscreens out there yeah more pricy but I’m sorry skin health is worth the extra few bucks!!

3 Likes

Sunscreen causes skin cancer, not the damn sun. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Arbonne bans over 2,000 ingredients that are bad for your body. This product is vegan free, gluten free, soy free, dairy free. Do your research. You won’t be disappointed. You can return an empty bottle in 90 days for a full refund if you’re not happy.

1 Like

I use sunscreen on my kids. But on me i don’t use it, last time i did was back in 2017 and i got burned

Missyharstad.arbonne.com

im SCREAMING at all the “it’s fine because “I’m fine and I never used sunscreen” comments” its too funny. OP sun damage is worse for your skin than the chemicals in sunscreen, but some things you can’t control. As you’ve seen in this threads, lots of people just don’t care. There’s not much you can do.

4 Likes

Badger, Poofy Organics Here’s a good article, it sounds like she’s doing it right but if she does want to use this is a good list. https://www.mamavation.com/beauty/best-non-toxic-sunscreens.html

Shiseido’s sensitive skin it’s made of only minerals. However it goes on white and it’s a bit of a hassle to take off ……but it keeps them from getting sunburnt

Coconut oil, red rasberry seed oil, and zinc have natural uv protection. Here is a recipe. I would just make her some and give it as a gift. Nobody needs to hear any judgement from other people about their parenting choices. DIY Coconut Oil Sunscreen

2 Likes

Although it’s ultimately her choice since she’s the parent, you could buy a natural sunscreen for her to try that doesn’t have the chemicals in it she’s worried about. You can get just plain zinc oxide cream too. I use the badger sunscreen brand for it’s minimal ingredients.

Are they your kids?
No???
Then mind ya damn business

Coconut oil. This is coming from a Native Floridian that is literally outside more than inside in the equatorial sun. Stick to shade when possible but coconut oil is what I use due to chemical allergies.

I mean…. We all survived without sunscreen :woman_shrugging:t4: and they never told us to get in the shade. I use it on my oldest until she tans bc she’s pretty much translucent, my youngest had more of the Native American come through and doesn’t need it. At the end of the day…. They aren’t your kids

3 Likes

I’m sure there are more natural ones you can find!

Samantha Scavo
Kellie Sheridan

Dont use sunscreen in my family. We have coconut oil that we reapply regularly and we take breaks in the shade but not every 15 minutes. My youngest was allergic to sunscreen as a baby so we just adjusted around that and it kinda stuck even tho hes no longer allergic.

4 Likes

Gosh I don’t put sunscreen on my toddler except when we go to the beach cuz we’re in and out of the water. She never had a sun burn. She gets red and tans within hours like me so is she really in any danger. Mind your own business with your own kids…

4 Likes