My six week old never wants me to put him down: Advice?

I have a six-week-old baby that pretty much refuses to be put down. This baby will scream anytime I set him down and does not care for his swing, bouncer, or momaroo. He wants to nurse to fall asleep, especially during the day. At night he’s up to all night grunting and groaning to the point where I can’t sleep. He does have reflux and has been on Pepcid for one week. Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me it gets easier. I have a three-year-old to look after during the day too, so I can’t nap at all. I’m exhausted and getting anxious about going back to work full time in two weeks.

27 Likes

Maybe something in your diet is bothering his tummy? Try cutting down on dairy

1 Like

Is he pooing? You said grunting and groaning so I’m thinking constipation, maybe. Possibly tummy ache too.
But always talk to your dr.

4 Likes

Have 3 year old come lay with you guys and take a family nap to get some sleep. It’ll be a much better outlook after. Have you tried cutting dairy from your diet? His tummy might be upset from that causing reflux issues.

Talk to his doctor. But my grandma always said clean butt no burps cant be hungry then sometimes a baby just needs to cry

6 Likes

He’s used to being carried by you from the moment of conception , get a baby wrap

does he really have reflux or is your milk coming out too fast? that was the problem with my daughter’s reflux. She couldn’t keep up and was swallowing way too much air.

Also! Get a baby wrap. lifesaver.

1 Like

Maybe try swaddling him if he likes been held might help give you a break

Put him in car seat to sleep and don’t let him take long naps. Put him on your schedule and definitely enquire about gas and upset stomach.

Maybe he needs to see a chiropractor? My son needed to when he was that age. It sure helped. The chiropractor was totally different with him then a regular person, very gentle. Being birthed is hard on them too.

Does he have colic too? Try gripe water and probiotics for him. Also change your diet, gluten and dairy could be adding to the reflux.

2 Likes

This happend to me. I couldn’t understand why my daughter wanted to eat so much. Thdy had me stop feeding her and pump all day. Turns out I was only producing 1 oz a day so she wasn’t getting anything. Had to switch to formula.

2 Likes

I would look into your diet and if your making enough milk and if the baby is latching properly. My little girl wasn’t getting enough due to her latch and I ended up with mastitis. I had to stop nursing because of my health. She went on formula and she did better once we found the right one. I also added gas drops because girl was gassy too. Then I had a baby ktan wrap. Once the feeding and wrap were done she did way better. She is still super clingy at 23 months but she is better. I promise hang in there mama. Talk to your Dr and see. Also try and get some help so you can sleep. You need sleep. You will feel better.

1 Like

It does get easier. But at 6 weeks it’s perfectly normal to not want to be put down. Talk the pediatrician though about the stomach issues, could be something you’re eating

1 Like

Yes I would pump and see how much baby is getting then you can eliminate that , next clean diaper? Eliminate that! Swaddle so they feel comforted . The he need to comfort himself . sometimes , baby gets too much air from nursing and not enough nourishment. Good luck

1 Like

My youngest has reflux really bad and was very rough. I joined a support group on fb and found it helped a lot!

I’m sure you’ll bring it up to the doctor. My girls had a lot of issues with constipation and reflux. They were given suppositories every couple days in the NICU and once home we were doing prune juice every day. For reflux they said to make sure after eating they are upright for at least 20/30 mins before laying down. I also got a insert for under their mattress to elevate their head while sleeping a little bit (found out they are also nice to use when they have a cold for congestion). My girls just grew out of it and one of them still has a hard time pooping every now and then. Also my girls liked to be swaddled. I hope you find something that helps.

I have a 4 week old that I literally never put down. If I do… Hes screaming like he dying!!!
We woke up at 3am today…
Only diff. Mine Dosent have reflux at all…
Coffee… There us no advice.
He’s my 7th and I still have no advice. They are babies… They don’t understand why their tummy hurts or anything…

He’ll get used to it. So long as he’s safe, fed, and clean you’re allowed to put him down and let him cry for a couple of minutes.

Also. Babies nurse for a BUNCH of diff reasons…

I used to add a teaspoon of rice baby cereal to my babies milk and she would sleep so sound on a full belly

Swaddle in a blanket that you’ve slept with a couple of nights and smells like you. It was magic

1 Like

Had the same very problem with my new born and now he’s three months about to be four and he’s barely sleeping all night long . He is the hardest to take care of my other two wore easy

Enjoy it while you can🤷🏻‍♀️ try baby wearing to be hands free

1 Like

If you’re letting him sleep all day he will be up all night. Sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up. Not uncommon with a baby. Just need to try to keep him awake more during the day. Keep it bright and noisy and active. At night keep it dark and quiet and calm. He will get it!

Swaddling. Let him burp completely. Make sure his cot or bed is very comfy. Lighting also matters. Comfy clothing. It’s a trial-and-error. He just came out recently so maybe he’s not done ‘adjusting’ yet. Every infant is different. You just have to try and try. You can do it. I have tried having my month-old daughter sleep in my arms until sunrise, lol. Seeking expert advise from pedia might be necessary if it does continue.

1 Like

If you know everything is fine as fed clean diaper ect. then you will just have to let baby cry.

1 Like

At 6 weeks she could be going thru a developmental leap. Have you tried the wonder years app? It explains when children go thru developmental changes aka “leaps” in which their brain and behavior is growing and changing. It’s common for them to be clingy and fussy during one of these transitions. There’s nothing wrong with it sometimes you just have to wait it out. You’re everything to her- warmth, food, love, you’re all she’s ever known. I know it’s hard just be patient mama. If you’re concerned about your milk supply and how much she’s getting consult an lc and do a weigh and feed so you can see exactly how much milk she’s transferring.

1 Like

Hold him upright about 20 minutes after he eats. Get a baby chair that vibrates, it helps get the bubbles out of their tummy. Gas drops are fabulous. Some babies like being swaddled, there are swaddle blanket type things where you just velcro it into place (I still to this day cannot swaddle with a regular blanket). If you can afford it, invest in an Owlet, it tracks their oxygen and heart rate. Then try to let him sleep on his tummy, that’s the only way my boy sleeps but I won’t let him sleep on his tummy without the owlet. Other than that, you may just have a needy baby and some of them come that way :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Children are creatures of habits, habits YOU are creating. Yes make sure they are getting enough to eat, that does make a huge difference but putting them down (even if they fuss and cry) will teach them to self soothe and it’s what every parent should want for your sanity and their development. I swaddled my babies tightly and put them in a bouncy seat (I had 4 kids) and when they fussed I’d pat or rock them telling them that they’re ok!

My first was like that. She was lactose intolerant. Since you are breastfeeding you could ask your pediatrician if switching to a gentle soy based formula or something like nutramogen would work. He’s in pain, that’s why he wants to be held constantly. Reflux is the worst when your baby has it. Hang in there momma, they do eventually get a more mature digestive system :heart:

3 Likes

I have four and they all just wanted to nurse nonstop for the first two months. It gets better! He will gain his independence by knowing you’re there for him, mama. Hang in there :heart:

2 Likes

I’m sure someone will disagree with me, but a weighted sleep sack made a huge difference for my little guy! I also had a snuggle me organic for my little girl! They were both worth every penny!

2 Likes

Momma, I went through the same thing, but my daughter is what is known as a Velcro baby. Even close to 2 she’s attached to my hip and constantly looks for me no matter where I go.

1 Like

Are you swaddling him? Maybe try getting one of those scarf slings to keep him held close and your arms free during the day. Acid reflux sucks… I can just imagine for a newborn… All 3 of my kids were lactose intolerant they are all 3 years apart and would be up crying with terrible gas all hours till we figured it out. Laying down flat on their back can make the acid worse when its flared up… Try having him lay propped up for about an hour after eating before you lay him down fully… At this age they also get day and nite time routines switched up… But it will eventually better with sleep. Its just going to be a bit of a haul to get there…

1 Like

He is still working out days and nights. Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding. How long between feeds is he wanting to feed as well or just wanting to be held. If possible can you use a baby carrier when he is fussing and crying. Have you tried a pacifier or control crying.

Still sounds new to the world. But a good swaddle might help. I live woombie or love to dream swaddled because they are zippers not velcro. I hate velcro.

Try half and half. I didn’t produce enough for my boys. So I ended up doing all formula.

My son has severe reflux too. It’s all about being upright and elevated whenever possible. Especially for the 20min after eating & at night . Being flat is miserable. Try putting a pillow under his mattress so that when he sleeps he’s elevated. My pediatrician told me this and it did wonders. Also even in his rocker help him be a bit straighter. I used a receiving blanket folded behind him. Hope this helps :heart:

Maybe put a shirt in the swing with your smell and a blanket or swaddle the baby… have the swing on low and music low… and talk to baby like it’s ok I’m right here… I’m a infant teacher and I do this with my little ones it works every time… And I keep them up until after lunch… and they all sleep soundly for 2 hrs… I keep 4 babies my youngest is now 3 months up to( 2) 11 month olds… and like clock work they all sleep right after lunch… So yes keep the baby stimulated in the day and rested at night… Hope this helps…

My daughter didn’t like to be put down that young either, I was also breastfeeding and it was a struggle to even be able to have time to eat something and keep myself nourished so that I could nourish her during the day while dad wasn’t around. We invested in a swing that was pricey ($200) but it goes all different ways, motions, speeds. It was the only way I could put her down early on. She’s 7 months old now and we still haven’t gotten her to nap any length of time other than our arms. Bedtime, she sleeps great through the night in her crib but for naps the second we put her down she wakes up. Babies also make a lot of noises that young - it was hard for me to sleep because I’d be in tune to every little sound. My heart goes out to you having a toddler to care for as well as juggling going back to work. My advice is take it a day at a time. You can stress yourself over what things will be like or wondering if it gets better but worrying won’t help (I know, easier said than done) :two_hearts:

If you’re willing to switch to bottles, Dr. Brown bottles saved my sanity!! They reduce colic, spit up, fluid in the ears and gas by 90%. My oldest was colicky and these are the only bottles that helped get us both some rest.

Get that baby outside! Help him adjust to the :sun_with_face:

And a carrier saved me in these situations, can be hands free and skin to skin! We can’t tell you it gets easier but you get better! Rock on mama!

1 Like

Weighted sleep sac was a huge help for my grandson, they work!

Hold that baby. I wished I hadn’t listened to everyone. I regret not holding mine much.

1 Like

My baby had it awful. We used a crib wedge and it made such a difference. It makes the head higher up. We ended up going to alimentum formula also. Uight need to change the reflux meds. Mine had everyone there is before they gave him prilosec. It’s 350 a month but w pre approval from ur insurance it’s free or a little copay. U have to tell them the med is not working. Ur baby is only six wks u may have to do a little trial and error to figure out meds, and formula so u and baby can both sleep.

I purchased an stuffed elephant from wish,for my Grandson. It feels like he’s being held,props him up,* this helps with reflux* and warms from his body temp.*this comforts him.

I used my carrier when she didnt want to be put down. Hold upright for 20 minutes after a feeding. Gas drops are amazing and look into wonder weeks. At this age theres a growth spurt and mine was nursing constantly during it.

seems normal to me. babies love to be comfortable with mama and they only stay little for a short time. hold him as much as you can, you’ve been his safe place his whole life❤

1 Like

My daughter did not let me sleep her first 4 months she had latch issues and breastfed every 30 minutes then spit up with reflux and cycle repeated itself , scarily I fell asleep breast feeding at 3am after a week of no sleep and delirium- my fiancé was there luckily and took baby from my arms whom I was still holding in the feeding position while sleeping/ THIS TYPE OF EXHAUSTION IS DANGEROUS- I would hold her around the clock and have to walk because the minute I stopped walking she would have a screaming colic fit every night this happened for months … we had a swing and it helped for me to nap during the day but I won’t lie it was the hardest time of my life . I had no support or help from friends or family and no relief . My suggestion is to nap when baby naps I wish I had taken advantage of a half hour here or there because it does make a difference … healthy mommy healthy baby , we eventually after 5 months of this incorporated formula and I was able to get a few hours rest during the night… I remember the struggle being covered in breast milk and not even able to shower as my baby would not let me put her down I would have to get in with her at times desperate to wash… also injured myself badly during 4 days of active labor and 2 days of pushing and being induced because I didn’t dilate , I wound up dislocating my hip and was given no pain meds Bc of breast feeding, so doing this all injured was excruciating BUT … at the end of the day ID DO IT AGAIN- the bond we have is untouchable , she is mommys ray of sunshine now and it does get easier !!! I promise you hold your baby and bond and you will not regret it, just make sure you can call on someone for a nap even if it’s just an hour or so ! You will get through this and it does get easier !!!

I had two babies that wanted to comfort nurse. One ended up eventually taking a pacifier and chilled out some. The other never took one and was glued to me like that for 14 months!!! If not for my husband and all his help I couldn’t have managed. Hang in there momma. They don’t stay little long.

All great advice! I will tell you, i have a 9 month old and a 3 year old. IT GETS BETTER!! My baby was glued to me, until about 6 months old. Once she started crawling she was much happier! Sometimes when things get really tough, i tell myself that not everyone gets to take thier baby home, there is someone who wishes they could hear thier baby cry for them at night or that they could hold, it helped me to remember how lucky i am :slightly_smiling_face:Its a hard job mamma but keep your head up.

1 Like

Have you talked to your pediatrician yet. When my boys were young the doctor put both of them because they could not digest the formula. He put them on soy milk.

I would try cutting dairy from your diet. My son was up grunting all night as well and his pediatrician recommended I give it up. I joined a dairy free breast feeding group and it helped so much. The grunting and spitting up stopped.

I know there is a period where your baby will breastfeed non stop. I Googled it. They have certain periods that babies do it. Don’t stop, baby needs it. It only last about a month or more. Your baby is still very young. Maybe purchase a wrap to keep your baby close. Think it’s quite normal- you doing the best by staying close and feeding your baby a lot. Just make sure that you burp lightly after each feed.

Pepcid does nothing! Get him on Omeprazole. When the reflux is under control, he will sleep well without the grunting and groaning. Until then, kee0 trying meds and doses.

Try infacole before feeding and wind after ever feed , swaddling the baby tight and laying on side with cot on a slight tilt . My baby is now 8 weeks and is much better with being set down. I also have 2 and half year old so understand your pain right now . My first baby was very colicky and I swore to never but myself through that stress and anxiety again !!
Sometimes baby’s have growth spurts and just want to be held, it’s only natural ! Maybe don’t rush back to work and enjoy the time with your children while they are small xxxx

put a muslin cloth in chest for bit so gets your scent them put cloth with baby when hes out hands he will have your smell as comfort

Swaddle him it will make him feel as if he is being held and he will feel safe

My sister also has used grip water it seemed to help.

Have you tried the gas drops?

1 Like

This happened with my daughters 1st and 3rd born. (Except by the second time around she knew what to do!). So after trying all the little tricks the doctor suggested and also having him dx’d with acid reflux and nothing worked, I finally suggested that she pump and freeze her milk and bottle feed him a lactose free formula. He was a different newborn. He began sleeping, gaining weight, quit crying constantly and was no longer screaming to be held constantly. I am an RN and was able to help her problem solve. But it turned out that when both boys started on solid food they again began to have digestive problems. They were both diagnosed with celiac disease. Both are young adults now and handle their dietary restrictions great. But babies can’t speak for themselves. Pediatricians only see them for about 15 minutes every month or so. It’s mother’s who need to problem solve and speak for them. Having a 6 week old infant cry constantly and not be consolable to the point that you can’t get any sleep is NOT normal.

2 Likes

I thankfully didn’t have this with my kids. My sister in law did. When I was with her I would often hold her baby. She would tend to our older kids while I tended to her baby. It helped when I put her on. my arm on her tummy kind of like a foot ball and pulled her in close to my body and went back and forth like a washinng machine motion. Also when I held her she would let herself be soothed this way. but when her.mama held her she wanted to nurse to be soothed. Do you have anyone that could help you sometines to give you a little break? It definitely gets better, but the stress and sleepiness of now for you is hard.

I had this happen when my baby was a newborn period wanted to nurse night and day and I took her back to the doctor several times and they increased her formula in addition to me nursing her and by the third or fourth week they had to feed her cereal because she was really literally hungry. Another case was my granddaughter who we found out was allergic to her milk and they had to change her formula. But you have to work this out with the baby’s doctor so that the right decision is made for the newborn baby and for you period what I did was get a mat and slept on the floor with the baby and nurse the baby while I slept on the floor because I was exhausted… I was afraid to take the baby in the bed with me and roll over on the baby or my husband roll on the baby so it was safer to lay on the floor until the doctor straightens the situation out…

6 Likes

At night, a swaddle and possibly a wedge pillow. My stepson I swear didn’t sleep the first year of his life because it turned out he had reflux. During the day, maybe try baby wearing. Discuss with your doctor any feeding issues that may be contributing to his sleep struggles. Good luck :heart:

1 Like

Try a chiropractor that specializes in infants. Best thing I ever did. I’m assuming you’ve tried different formulas since he has reflux. If not that’s a good thing to check out. Don’t be afraid to let them cry sometimes. Find somewhere safe to put him and take a breather when you need it. Ask for help if you have someone. And yes it will get better!

4 Likes

This is 100% normal developmentally. There is likely nothing wrong with your baby or your parenting. Its called the “4th trimester” and babies are born immature neurologically as well as their GI system. They crave being held and comforted as they are vulnerable and have needs outside of “eat, potty, sleep”. Most babies transition out of it in the 3 month range. You cannot spoil a newborn and they are not “manipulating” you. Hold your baby and hang in there. Soon they will be more content, sleep better, and feed easily… esp as they gain muscle control and are able to sit up.
Look up the 5 S’s by Dr. Harvey Karp (aka the happiest baby on the block book).

9 Likes

It gets easier momma. I know it can be so stressful with a newborn, if you’re really worried contact your pediatrician. My daughter is about to make two and thinks she’s such a “big girl” lol I actually miss the days she wanted me to hold her all the time! So do cherish it! But if it is too much, like I said contact your pediatrician for advice on ways to handle it.

1 Like

It gets easier. Keep him awake doing the day. Then he will sleep during the night. Don’t be quick to pick him let him cry some he is getting emotions out. Put crib on a tilt. I tilted his crib by lowering mattress with pins or polka holes that hold crib mattress or springs.

1 Like

Get a good quality baby carrier or sling. Ergo, beco, maya ring sling were my go to’s back in 2008/9. My youngest literally lived on me until she was over 6 months old. I had a carrier that could put her on my back at 5 mos and it was a lifesaver with two older kids needing my care. She is an ABSOLUTELY NORMAL 12 year old now.

5 Likes

We ended up having to use the rock n play sleeper. Worked like a charm but that was before they were recalled. He had out grown it by then. I recommend trying to find something similar…or at least it worked for my kid. They are all different…

1 Like

Give him some oatmeal baby cereal make it thick. It will help with the reflux and fill him up so you can get some rest. Rice may bind him up. It gets easier I promise. Well at least until they get sassy lol. Good luck❤️

2 Likes

My granddaughter just had this issue she cried so much and at night she would cry for 3 hours straight before bed the dr said it was normal. I finally told my daughter it is not normal something is wrong and she needs to tell the dr that they need to figure it out a couple days before her appt she started throwing up her entire bottle the dr diagnosed her with reflux and out her on meds and it helped but she still was having issues so we switched her formula we feed her in a some what upright position and then keep her upright for 30 mins after she eats… The dr told us to put blankets or towels under her crib and bassinet mattress so she’s not laying flat after about a week she was like a whole new baby. They do make special formula for reflux we didn’t have to use it because the enfamil gentle ease worked. I know what you’re going through and how rough it is I would talk to your dr if the meds alone aren’t working nothing is worse than seeing your baby hurting and you’re not able to stop it. Good luck I hope you find what works for her

1 Like

Raise the head of the crib up. There’s foam mattress raisers you can buy in a store like buy buy baby that you put under the crib mattress. It will out the baby on a very slight slant. This is prob the reason he don’t want to lay flat because once he’s down the reflux comes up. The slant will keep him up a bit. And the reflux along with the Pepcid might help. Good luck

3 Likes

Try elevating him a bit when he sleeps. My son with reflux had to sleep in his bouncy seat. You said he doesn’t like his, so try putting something (think phone book) under the mattress to elevate him. It does get better, I promise.

3 Likes

Back in the day, when my baby was 6 weeks old, the dr said to feed rice cereal. I fixed it like oatmeal. When I was feeding him, I real the directions on the box. I was horrified. …the directions were like 1 teaspoon to 1/2 cup milk. He’s still alive

5 Likes

My middle son was like this he had reflux and was also up all night plus my oldest was only 15 months and was up all day, give him to about 3 months that’s how long it took for my son to sleep through the night and not constantly wanting to be held

1 Like

Not everyone believes in chiropractors but I know several people who took their babies to chiropractor and got relief from reflux

If you’re breastfeeding, be aware of what you’re eating that could be causing his reflux. Try laying a shirt next to him or under him so he can smell you.

1 Like

This is normal honestly, that baby spent 9 months inside of you, you are their comfort zone, rhey want your smell, they want to listen to your heartbeat.

3 Likes

I had this problem too, but I was just nursing and found out my breast didn’t produce enough milk for her. Had to switch to straight formula for her. Then she was able to sleep and be put down.

Give up eating dairy and see if that helps. My nephew who is almost 26 was like that and as soon as my sister stopped eating dairy he was a different baby. Turns out he is lactose intolerant and to this day avoids dairy.

Praying for you sweetie it’s tough. I’m a granny now - we were told to hold them close and wrap them up tight. Check with you doctor and ask some dear granny friends who been there done that. Their advice is priceless. My babies were extremely hungry at an early age. :heart::pray:t2::heart:

Poor baby he or she must be in constant pain. I’m so sorry I’ll be praying for you and all of your family I’m sure you are exhausted. My first baby was the same. One day at a time.

1 Like

May need to try different milk, I was allergic to milk as a child mom raised us on can milk and vitamins, I was also put on goats milk, I still to this day need A2 milk or Lactaid milk. Check with your pediatrician.

1 Like

As crying everyone you might want to get eyes checked. My granddaughter did this until she got glasses.

1 Like

Check to make sure not allergic to your milk my kids were had to go on special formulas that were expensive but worked.

1 Like

Hold him all you can right now. It will be worth it, and things do get easier.

What I’m if you tried a bottle of formula one time. Mine get that way when they aren’t full.

Get an old fashion water bottle fill with warm water and put it next to him will calm him down old trick

My son was like that n grunted all the time n seemed uncomfortable n he ended up having a dairy n soy allergy but all babies are different.

Swaddling is great and get the blankets. Also sometimes you have to let them cry for a little bit

Please don’t feed your 6 week old baby anything other than breast milk or formula without checking with your pediatrician first.

Try putting a piece of your clothing in the bed with him. So he can smell :nose:t2: you when he sleeping :sleeping:.

This helped me.
I would wrap a receiving that was washed by hand and used no frabric softener,then wrapped it around me so that the blanket would absorb me then when my baby girl fell asleep I would wrap her in it and it worked especially at night!!! Then slowly I began to use a lessed wrap blanket on her and it worked.
Please write if it worked.

Mi first and 3rd had colic for the first 3 months. Screamed unless rocked. I wonder how many miles I put on thst rocker.

If you breastfeeding, be careful what you eat. Try not eating onions or spicy food. Maybe no dairy

Switch to formula and add baby rice flakes

Your baby is training you, and that’s bad, you need to break him of it before it gets to bad

2 Likes