My SO brought a gun into the house when I am uncomfortable with it: Advice?

To be honest. Learn. It’s an opportunity for you to learn a new skill and become educated with firearms. Learn safety first. Then start getting into how they actually work. I pray everyday I never have to level my sights again at another human. Take the opportunity to learn and how to properly use it. It’s just a tool. It’s what people use it it for is the problem.

6 Likes

I think maybe you should educate yourself. Why is it your feelings and emotions are more important than your partners? What are you so scared of? You think the guns going to jump out of the drawer and come get you? You know they have gun locks they have gun safe they have all of that. Oh and when something bad happens in someone’s threatening to hurt you who do you call? A person with a gun so why wouldn’t you just respect your partner and just compromise? Sounds like to me it’s your way or the highway and that’s not fair at all.

8 Likes

Good work deserves recommendation, knowing where to invest, what to invest in, who to trust and how to make profit can be very difficult as a beginner, but when you work with the right people, the road to financial freedom becomes a lot easier. I proudly recommend whosever is looking forward to join crypto should trade with Mr. Joshua Bunker and his profitable platform to yield the best result. You can contact him with the link tag below

Agree to disagree and just have your partner keep it idk in a safe space or a “in case of intruder” safe shelf… but if they pay bills they have a right to decide what goes inside the home too… least they did discuss it… they just didn’t agree. Neither one of you want to budge… there is no right compromise

1 Like

You will appreciate it if it saves you or your kids lives

3 Likes

I have personally been around firearms all my life, I have taught a few friends how to properly handle firearms. Fact is, it is in your home, if you are not comfortable, you need to do something about that discomfort. My suggestion, learn proper firearms handling to increase your comfort.

2 Likes

It’s his house too isn’t it?

Yes, respect your SO’s choice to have a gun. It just may save your life one day.

1 Like

Someone breaks in you’ll appreciate having a gun. Get over it. Guns don’t kill people, people do

8 Likes

Maybe he just wants to make sure he can protect you if needed. Put them in a safe. Compromise & Communication are #1 keys to relationships.

1 Like

He considered your feelings as much as you considered his.

3 Likes

I can understand where you are coming from, I don’t have any in my home. I don’t like them either, but if it’s locked away and put up somewhere where I can’t see it or no one can find it (kids) I don’t see it being a big deal. Like I said I understand where you are coming from. But what are his views? In relationships you have to comprise sometimes. Have him lock it up and put it away. It can relieve your stress some

2 Likes

I would suggest taking a few firearms classes familiarize yourself with proper handgun use! It could very well save your life one day! I always tell everyone its better to have one and know how to use it then need one and not have it

4 Likes

Unless you own the home you don’t have much say. Would you rather he hide it from you?
As long as he has safeguards in place to store and protect it I don’t personally see the issue.
Many people are now owning guns due to the way the world is going. I am guessing he wants to be able to protect his family. Children should be shown and educated about guns this will prevent them playing with them when found.

Have him get a safe and keep it in there? My fiances parents bought him one after knowing how bad my anxiety is with our kids. We got a safe and that made me feel so much better. They have absolutely no access to it. :heart:

There is no need for a gun

4 Likes

I feel like his feelings matter equally and he could prob make the same post from his perspective about it being a respect/trust/partnership thing. You’re feelings about it don’t override his.

I also feel like it matters how he’s acting. Has he ever given you reason to be fearful of him? Does he practice gun safety? Does he know what he’s doing with it?

If he’s ever given you reason to be afraid of him then that’s another issue but if he is a competent, reasonable, protective partner then I feel like you should compromise. If he isn’t well versed with guns it would be reasonable to ask him to take a gun safety course and it would be reasonable to ask it to be kept in a gun safe or an otherwise secure spot. I’d also recommend you taking a gun safety class, it may help ease some of your anxiety with them. When owned and used by people who know what they’re doing it can be a great thing to have just in case.

1 Like

It goes both ways, it doesn’t seem you’re considering your SO feelings about it either. You can be uncomfortable with it but if they live there they still have the right to own it as long as laws aren’t preventing so. Have him keep it in its own place and you can just stay away from it if you’re that uncomfortable. No one is making you use it. But I think it’s kind of ridiculous for you to want to prohibit your partner from having one?

4 Likes

My opinion is I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it

2 Likes

Call the cops, have him arrested. Why would you need a gun in your house? Do you live in the country?

8 Likes

That gun dont bite. Chill. Real question is why does it make u uncomfortable?

I get it makes you uncomfortable, but first of all, does he have the right to own it? Like, I get the 2nd amendment, but where you are located, there may be laws restricting ownership, necessitating appropriate registration, etc. If there are, and it’s not properly taken care of, you have the right to ask him to get rid of it. However, if you are in an open carry state, or he has the proper paperwork proving legal ownership there isn’t much you can do. It becomes a couples’ issue. But I will say, don’t ruin his life by calling law enforcement over it. Unless you truly believe he’s dangerous, he shouldn’t have to carry a felony weapons charge forever because you don’t like it.

1 Like

Learn how to use it and GET comfortable. We ain’t in Kansas any more… sounds like yer SO knows that already.

2 Likes

Are there kids in the house? For me, that’s my only issue. I bought my daughter’s father in a safe to keep his guns in, for Christmas on year. Then for another holiday I bought a traveling, 2 step, gun safe for his car. The next holiday, I bought something similar for his bag, 2 step unlocking safe for handguns. I don’t want my young kids to get to it.

1 Like

If your that scared leave. The thought that your fear gives you the right to dictate ideas that could leave someone in a position where they are incapable of self defense is indefensible.

What about having a firearm in your home makes your uncomfortable? First identify that, then figure WHY! It will be easier to understand the problem. I’m not sure I understand why you wouldn’t want your man to feel secure in protecting his family if need he?

With everything going on in the world I’d think you’d feel safer. You obviously trust him enough to be with him. So trust him enough to protect you.

All I will say, learn how to use that gun teach your kids how to use it…the world is NOT safe…

Why is it always " you should repeect his views and learn to shoot it because it’s not even a problem" and never “he should respect your views and keep them out of the house”?

If he’s storing it properly, if it’s properly registered and if he is licensed (if you need a license in your state) then respect HIS wishes. Have him take you out shooting if you are uncomfortable. It’s a good idea for you to know how to use it too. Bad guys with guns are making people way too paranoid these days. If I didn’t have a gun, then a rpist who broke into my house would have rped and maybe killed me and my children if I didn’t have my gun. I will forever be in debt to my firearm. RESPONSIBILITY IS KEY!

Lock on trigger and in a lock box
Learn to shoot one. Me too

I get this… I have a fear of firearms BUT it’s MY fear not my husbands. It’s about compromises. He keeps them locked in a safe and there have been SEVERAL times I was glad he had his firearms! You can choose to not engage yourself with them.

I feel like fear and strong negative reactions override positive wants. You can live easier without a want than surviving in a state of fear and discomfort.

Hope he had training by Shane lmao

Wait until someone breaks into your house while your babies are sleeping. Never thought it would happen to me. I buckled to my knees in fear. You are totally hopeless and unarmed to be killed or better yet your kids. Changed my tune quickly. Listen to your husband.

Is there no room for compromise? Would you feel better if there were a gun lock, a lockbox, or a gun safe?

1 Like

“I want him to respect my views but don’t respect his.”. Fixed it for ya