My SO doesn't want our daughter having makeup or any technology: Advice?

Just wondering what other mums in my position would do - I have a seven-year-old daughter who has asked for kids makeup, nail varnishes, and technology for Christmas, all of which I am fine with, although her dad is pretty strict and would rather she didn’t have those items. He likes to encourage more hands-on imaginative play such as Sylvanian Families, Barbies, etc… and claims technology just makes a child numb to what’s going on around them, has an attitude, and makes them wanna grow up too fast and explore dangerous platforms such as TikTok, etc. The makeup issue is kinda the same where he would rather she didn’t have it as it’s encouraging the behavior to get dressed up and focus on her looks and trying to change herself etc. and he would rather her be natural, but I see it differently as playing and experimenting and don’t see the harm in her enjoying makeup as I wear it? We have countless arguments over if I allow her to use my phone or tablet to watch YouTube and play games etc, and I have to admit sometimes I allow her to use these for some peace and quiet. Can I also add her dad doesn’t have a smartphone nor Facebook or social media either because he finds it so damaging to individuals and thinks people only show what they want others to see and not the reality? Now, knowing the background, would you go ahead and buy the makeup, nail varnishes, and technology for her or respect dad’s wishes and not? We all live together so its not a case of when she’s at mine I parent her one way and when she’s at his he parents his way.

1 Like

My daughter is 3 and plays with kids make up :woman_shrugging:t3: and she has a kids tablet that has a ton of educational games on it.

1 Like

Y’all need to find a happy medium between the two. Unfortunately I can’t say because my son is 10 and has access to electronics but there should be a medium y’all can come too!

1 Like

you can limit everything she does on technology by monitoring the device! it’s that simple. sheltering her will lead to much bigger things later in her teenage years! make up is not a huge deal either, if he is that strict, then leave it for home use only to play. do not let her wear it out of the house

1 Like

I mean, I agree with him on the technology. Im not allowing mini to have tablets/smart phones unless absolutely necessary. The makeup and nail stuff i would get. I dont see that as her focusing on her looks, I see it as her developing a sense of style. Its girlie and something she can bond with other girls over. Its also a healthy form of expression as well. It doesnt have to be vain. It can be taught and utilized as a form of expression as well as a confidence booster.

Both of you need to learn to compromise. Actively disrespecting his wishes is not the answer.

5 Likes

I’m with your husband

1 Like

I would go ahead and get it for her. Maybe y’all could try talking and come to an agreement about it. She’s young she needs to have fun. And the tablet can be very educational for her. It helped my 3 year old and 5 year old a lot.

I wouod say no, and i agree with Dad. Not that it makes kids dumb, but it’s not something they really need and the hands on learning is alot better. I have a 12,10,8,4. Now they do have tablets are are extremely limited to time on the weekends, whioe my husband and I do have game systems they do not have access, and they do not have cell phones. They dont need them.

1 Like

Is she a human or a belonging? Let her be a person

6 Likes

Don’t do anything that her Dad is not ok with. She will know then that she played you against each other like that .
Talk to him first and come to a mutual conclusion. She can have one or the other maybe. Or only inside the house or you can come up with many solutions to make you all happy but don’t do or get anything that breaks her dad’s decision.
She must know that you are both in the same team.
Maybe little makeup play kit will do or a tablet with educational games. Talk to your partner.

1 Like

Get her the stuff, moderation is key, sheltering her will 100% lead her into trying all the things shes not allowed in potentially dangerous situations when shes older…

I feel like there needs to be some kind of compromise. My kids don’t get personal technology. I only recently got our oldest son an OLLLD iPod for kids stories as he struggles to sleep so he has special headphones that he can wear in bed and listen to stories and block out his siblings. Other than that they have nothing personal. They want to watch something, its on the TV where everyone can see. And if it’s inappropriate for the whole lounge, then it’s inappropriate for them so doesn’t get watched. Because honestly, I kinda agree with your hubby that they don’t really need it at that age.

As for the make-up I personally see no harm. Kids make-up washes off so easy. We started with nail polish. My 9yo has SO much. She barely wears it though. As for make-up, she only asks to use it when she plays dress up. And honestly if everything is withheld strictly, that may backfire in the future for him if she becomes obsessed with the item she could never have.

1 Like

You and your SO need to come to an agreement both of you are comfortable with on when to allow these things for your daughter. Going against his clearly strong wishes is just disrespectful and a recipe for relationship trouble.
While she’s certainly at the age where she shouldn’t need anything fancy for technology, I think a kids tablet is a great start. You can limit and monitor her on that pretty easily. She doesn’t need a phone at her age, but a kid’s tablet with restrictions will help her start to learn to use technology, as she’ll need to do as she ages. She’s way too young to be worrying about being on social media, so that shouldn’t be an issue.
I think play makeup is fine-in the house. Part of playing pretend or dress up! I wouldn’t personally allow makeup out of the house until she’s much older.

The technology I understand. I am picky with my son being on technology. I’ve been to birthday parties where no one was in the jumper with my son because the kids were glued to the iPads or whatever they had. The kids makeup I cannot offer any advice because I never had kids makeup and idk how I feel about it. The nail polishes for kids he’s over exaggerating. I had some and they were so cool. They would come off easily without any remover. I had some that you can scratch off easily.
Good luck! Hope y’all can work it out!

1 Like

If she doesn’t have some technology she will be left behind in school compared to other kids. A bit of kids make up is normal for a girl her age. Use it as a teaching opportunity to show her how to wear makeup, less is more kinda thing. Just my opinions. I am a mother of grown children, so I do have some insight and experience in this.

2 Likes

Maybe just do the little things like nail polish and clear lip gloss? and as far as technically just let her have screen time on the weekends that’s what I do with my kids.

I agree with dad and kind of shocked a wife/mother would ask social media if she should disrespect her husband over makeup and tech for a seven year old… he’s not wrong about it… especially social media and tech… his wife literally asked the internet if she should go against what he thinks is age appropriate for a seven year old :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

I wish my husband was the same way.
I agree 100% with your husband.
Kids don’t need electronics, and a 7 year old little girl doesn’t need make up.

7 Likes

I dont love my kids having a ton of technology. The comprise in my house was “active video games” that we could all play together like just dance. As for the makeup shes gonna want to play, find a compromise like yes to lipgloss and nail polish no to real makeup

You need to sit down together and get on the same page. Compromises need to be made.

Idk. I don’t see the big deal honestly. I know my girls don’t have a tablet at their dads but they do with me. It’s nice for days when I wanna like per say have a shower & know their focused on something , or long car drives, or just days where it’s crappy outside. Nothing wrong with some games and videos every now and again! I paint my 4 year olds nails :woman_shrugging:t2: my 6 year old never wants me too! But they love it! They did get a makeup kids kit last year but it ended up being rubbed all over my wall :rofl::rofl::rofl: so I try to avoid that now!

I would get her an age appropriate tablet and limit the use. And makeup I was never a fan of that myself.

She’s 7 years old!!! I agree with your husband sorry. Maybe if she was 12-13 yrs old then it’s a different story but really she’s 7 years!

I agree with him. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I have a seven year old girl too and I have to say I completely agree with your husband. She has so many years ahead of her to enjoy makeup and experimenting with them, the years before puberty are the prime time to nurture self love and self acceptance. It’s important to hone in those things now while she’s young. And same with technology, I let my daughter use my phone VERY sparingly and only on sites I’ve preapproved like PBS Kids Games and ABC Mouse. She also has a school issued IPad (which I wasn’t too thrilled with but thanks, Corona) that I let her use for her school work. They are so impressionable at this age, we need to slow them down and get them to be children.

1 Like

My daughter is six, I don’t want her to have makeup and nail varnishes she’s too young in my belief those are adult things, my kids have iPads for the purpose of movies on long journeys in the car, educational apps or homework in my daughters case and the odd game and being able to FaceTime family members, they are limited to how much time they can use them for abs to be honest I don’t charge them very often, it’s more an occasional weekend thing. She asked for an iPod for her birthday to listen to music. So I had an old iPhone which I had repaired for her so basically it’s the same as an iPod touch as has no credit to call out. She has her music and apps and again it’s like a treat to use it if she’s been good or going in the car or if she goes for a sleepover with family, I am strict on use and she doesn’t get to take it up to her room at bed time etc. I think in moderation these things can be good. There are some really good educational apps out there and story’s, online books etc, you can police what they download. I have to give permission off my phone for my kids to download anything. Everything is restricted with parental approval needed etc.

As ridiculous as I think that is, you need respect his wishes. She is his child too. She can wait for those things when she is older.

My daughter is a competive dancer, she has make up and never goes without nail polish unless it is competition season. She has an iPad. She uses for ABC Mouse and Disney+. Also her being exposed to make up young had the exact opposite effect. She HATES the stuff. She tolerates it for dance.

Compromise. The girly items aren’t a huge deal and you can teach her to be minimal. Get boarded games ,and maybe a Family console for Family gaming

Why not compromise and allow her to have tinted chapsticks/glosses? It will keep her lips moisturized, which is healthy, and she will think she has makeup. Play makeup, though fun, can clog and hurt kids skin. Stick to mommy and daughter makeup nights once a month, or something, so she gets to feel like mom but doesn’t have access to crappy makeup at will.

The tech…yeah…you all need to really hash that out together, not here.

Electronics can be very helpful! My almost 3 year old uses my husbands phone all the time to watch kids videos (only watches while sitting on the couch with us)
We’re a military family so she’s not around other kids much at all. She was pretty behind in speech and without the use of these videos I doubt she would be speaking as well as she is now :woman_shrugging: I worked with her and did what her doctor recommended, but nothing changed until she saw other kids in the videos do it :woman_shrugging:

My little girl is nearly 6 and Is mad into make up and nail varnish and anything sparkly :joy: but I completely limit her use on it so she can only wear it for special days out and when she does makeup it’s for dressing up and having fun and I take it off about an hour later when we are finished if you can come to a compromise on some of it I don’t see what the big deal is and tablets can be used for educational purposes too which you and your partner can control what she can and can’t use on it

Meet in the middle. I’d say no make-up and yes to technology but limited “screen-time” and complete transparency over what she’s doing and who she’s interacting with. I don’t agree with makeup for kids but that’s my opinion only.

I mostly agree with your SO, although maybe meeting in the middle, electronics like LeapFrog that is educational to help with learning, clear nail polish, and clear to barely tinted lip gloss, with the rule the nail polish is only to be used with mom’s help. 7 is too young for makeup, even though every girl wants it because we want to be pretty.

2 Likes

That kid is way too young for a phone. Playing with makeup seems fine to me, I just wouldnt let my daughter go out with it on.

There needs to be a compromise. I personally lean more towards his way of thinking, but I wouldn’t ban it all together. Moderation and supervision is key. Sit down and talk it out.

My daughter is 6 and doesn’t have a tablet or makeup. She plays mainly with Barbies and her other dolls, colors or does puzzles. A lot of outdoor time. She definitely does not have makeup. She does have nail polish, but it’s just the cheapie Dollar Store stuff.

You’re lucky to have a smart husband.

3 Likes

i honestly agree with SO. Wish I had never started technology with mine :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I agree with the dad

2 Likes

Get her some lip glosses, but I wouldn’t do make up. She is too young. As for the technology, with your husband not liking the idea, I would either skip it all together or get her a leap pad learning tablet. At least then she has a tablet but is strictly for learning games.

I think a compromise would be best. He is not 100% right but it would be 100% wrong to just go against his wishes. Nothing wrong with play makeup that she can only use at home. Nothing wrong with designated games and times for those games (learning ones or artsy ones for an hour as an example) nail varnishes are BAD for your nails. But kids nail polish or color street nail strips would be fine. Theres no reason to not work on it together for the happiness of your child and he should see that too

You wonder why he doesn’t like social media as you ask a social platform whether or not to disrespect your husband blatantly. :woman_facepalming:t3: smh

I agree with dad tbh let her have her childhood as long as possible. 7 is waay to young for technology unless its a learning tablet and honestly hands on play like barbies etc lets a child tap in more to their imagination and gets the brain working more.when my daughter reaches that age she will not be having technology etc… besides just think back to when ou were young n that age n how much fun you would have playing and making up stories with your toys and such its the best kind of childhood instead of being braindead by technology and it does set a precident for things like tik tok and other apps which are dangerous at such a young age.

Technology it’s depends what you mean like a tablet with a kids profile and with Limited screen time I would say is fine if not then I agree with your husband. Kids nail varnish I would buy and tinted chap sticks but not any other makeup at 7 years old.
It down to you and your husband to compromise and come to an agreement together

I agree with both of you. My partner is just them same. My daughter got at a younger age got make up I ordered off eBay that looks and feels like real make up, but does not transfer onto their face. And as for tech, well she plays on my phone. There’s the family tablet she’s allowed of and I know what she’s doing (she doesn’t download her own apps she asks), and I’d suggest maybe a nintendo or something so it’s games not apps like tick tock and utube. And you or him could play with her. Who doesn’t like Mario!?!

1 Like

I won’t let my kids wear makeup until 13 (aside from Halloween and in plays). This applies to all of them. That is my choice, and I am in no way telling you that it’s what you should do, I am just telling you my rule. I do allow my kids (ages 6, 8, 10, 15, &16) to have technology. The youngest 2 use tablets, during their TV time and on weekends. The older boys have video games, and teen girl has a laptop. They still play with toys, do arts and crafts, play outside, read books, and make up songs. Some play instruments, some are more into woodwork, some cooking. Kids can get too into technology, but as a parent, I monitor the time spent on it.

My siblings and I grew up playing technology and we are just fine. The smartest one of us plays the most, and he’s wicked smart! As far as make up, I personally wouldn’t allow my 7 year old to have make up either :woman_shrugging:t2: but honestly, it’s an opinion. We all have different opinions. Maybe think about how old you would allow it at and he would allow it at and then maybe meet in the middle? Like If he thinks 14 and you think 10, maybe let her have it at 12?

I’d sit down with your partner and ask if you could possibly get something like a DS or a Nintendo switch that she can use if she behaves and for only certain amounts of time during the week, if you want to get her dress up costumes to wear to play dress up. I can understand his side and definitely would agree there should be a limit on how much gaming time kids get, the makeup thing I get for sure because he wants her to be comfortable in her skin! It’s natural, but it’s also natural for kids to have down time and rewards. Play time is fun, let her dress up like a princess, or a ninja or whatever. My grandma had a costume dresser with costumes we all liked to wear to play make believe lol! But we also had chores, and were expected to do things in order to be able to play on the computer or to play with our dress up stuff

I wish my kids didn’t have phones ipods tablets ect they just get consumed with them all the time but they did have them an i regretted it let her be 7 for as long as you can just my opinion

I think you both have valid points. Weather he likes it or not we live in a technology world. 7 is to young for social media and stuff but there is nothing wrong with kids watching videos/playing games and thier is nothing wrong with kids playing with makeup my daughter has always played with makeup and it hasn’t made her anything more then a little girl playing dress up.now at 9 she is starting to play around a little more with her Make up but she knows the rules inside the house only unless she puts on a little for Dance and zero make up for school

I’d respect his wishes but he needs to respect yours as well. Maybe sit down and talk about it and then compromise on things

1 Like

I say get her those things and tell your husband to stop sheltering her otherwise he will regret it when she is a teenager , it will backfire on him

1 Like

As a mom of 2 girls that are allowed to have these things, I feel like my life would be much easier without electronics. If you want her to have something I would get a kids tablet, its limited on what it can do but allows her to feel big for having it. The makeup thing is normal I think, all little girls like to play dress up.

2 Likes

She’ll be dressing like a little hie by age 8. Go ahead, buy her some

1 Like

Id buy what my kid asked for. My 5yo daughter is actually getting all that :rofl: my 8yo and 5yo both have limits on technology and both are still imaginative and creative. This is my 8yo he would play video games all day if u let him but he still loves art and science. He made these all on his own and said they are Lunas Goggles from Harry Potter :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

We’re the same with my 7 year old step daughter. Partner doesn’t believe she needs to be on tech all the time and should be able to just be a kid and play with toys, just be a child and learn hands on skills. His parents gave her a Samsung tablet. That he limits time on if we visit anywhere with no other children or takes to their house on sleepovers. Her behaviour is terrible when there’s a phone about etc and carries on to play on other ppls phones and stuff which is one of the many reasons he believes she doesn’t need to be on one all the time. Without it, there’s no carry on.

She has an ipad and nail polish at her mums which to him is her mums decision and doesn’t step on her toes about that

Kids make-up is fine. My 5yr old uses it during pretend play with her dolls and she likes to do my make-up as well.

1 Like

As a mother of 3 daughters 21,20 & 18 he is 100 % right.
7 is too young for tech of her own. Kid make up is less of a problem IMO. Encourage outdoor play,craft & anything but tech toys.
Embrace her innocence coz once you let tech in it slowly disappears

I’m getting my 3 year old play make up :joy::woman_shrugging:

She also has her own TV and tablet. She also plays outside, explores, gets dirty, and is pretty hands on with everything she does. Because I set limits.

We live in a very technological era in society. Her generation will be more advanced than the next and there’s nothing wrong with having both worlds.

It’s creative, imaginative and hands on people who made the internet, cell phones, computers, etc lol

4 Likes

I’m going to put a different spin on it and probably get attacked for it.
My daughter is 9 now. She has been using cheap make-up for a couple of years, she is only allowed to use it at home and never allowed to wear it out. But me allowing it has really shown me how creative and amazing she is at make up. She has a tablet which has parental controls etc and she will watch you tube and then re create what she watched.
She isn’t always on electronics or doing her make up. She plays netball in a team. Plays outside constantly with her siblings.
Another thing to consider is regardless these days unfortunately technology is being used in school so that’s another thing to consider.
Each to their own and good luck

3 Likes

When my daughter turned 3 I got her a tablet. It’s a samsung and super locked down. She can’t get to the web browser or click anything if an ad pops up. I approve every individual video on her kids youtube channel so I know she doesn’t see anything she shouldn’t be. Samsung kids is only like $3 a month and has a BUNCH of games and books. They have it for your daughters age group as well.

I’m glad I waited until she was 3 because she doesn’t live on the tablet. She will play it occasionally but would much rather play with toys or be outside (when it’s warm). But I’m also glad I finally decided to get her one. She’s learned things I never would have even thought to teach her. The color Cyan for instance lol. I think technology for kids is definitely a good thing as long as it’s monitored. :blush:

1 Like

Beauty products, I would respect his wishes. A girl that age should be given the confidence to love herself, not a mask.

Technology on the other hand is much more difficult. This day in age, I feel that to deny a child technology is to give them a disadvantage. We live in a technological world whether he wants to admit it or not. In a few short years this child will be in high-school, taking classes like programming. While her peers will know how to handle the technology and will be prepared for the next step in their education, your kid would be literally years behind. In grade 7 my son can build a gaming computer from parts. A working, programed computer. Your kid will not be able to. Is this fair?

1 Like

love the dads mindset👌🏼

1 Like

My husband is anti makeup too. I think the stricter you are about it the more they will want it; and eventually they will get their hands on it and not know how to apply it. Better to teach them, and make it a normal boring thing. As for technology, I kind of agree with Dad. Tech for littles is a gateway to all kinds of people and information, even bad. Maybe have HIM look into a safe learning only kind of tech that she can have.

Not sure what state you’re in. I’m in Michigan. Our public schools closed last March related to this thing called COVID. When school resumed in August, school districts had the choice to go all virtual (ONLINE ONLY) or Hybrid (2 days at school, 3 days ONLINE). I am a single mom of 5. I work full time. ALL of my children have been issued a Chromebook for school. My sophomore, my freshman, my 7th grader. But also my DYSLEXIC 2nd grader (8 years old) AND my 4 year old for DEVELOPMENTAL PRESCHOOL!! He just turned 4. His speech IEP puts him at about a 2 year old level, and his other skills are nearing a 3 year old level. My older three were taught starting in elementary how to use a chromebook. My 8 year old and 4 year old not so much. The point here is, whether he or you or your bff thinks she shouldn’t have a tablet, they are living in the wrong century. She needs to learn your electronics rules now. How long? Only in family areas. After chores. Parental controls all over the place. And she needs to know that electronics can be giveth, and can be taken away. Trust me. Start NOW! When you set the rules, not her friends. She has no need for any social media. But she can definitely learn on Starfall.com and so many other free learning sites. Ask her teacher for a list.

Make up; dollar store. You pick some muted colors. She plays/practices at home only. Baby wipes are effective to remove. Eye shadow if you’re comfortable with that but hold off on mascara and eyeliner. Risk of infection there. Make up at 9 is both her way of trying to grow up and ‘playing’ dress up as a child.

Your SO needs to take her on a special date. They both get dressed up and he shows her, treats her,and in age appropriate conversation explain that every date she ever goes on she should be treated as he is treating her. Respectfully. With dignity. Opening doors, pulling out chairs. Whatever is important for her to expect as she navigates middle school soon.

PS- Girls are getting their periods much earlier these days. Reasons for this are various and mostly theories. Mine started at 8, 9, and 9. My youngest daughter is 8… so I’m just watching and waiting. Some girls still start at 11 or 12, but that is the exception these days.

I hope this helped. Not wanting to upset you or begin a FB debate. I’m just speaking as a mom of 4 girls and one boy, and as a nurse. Also- if you haven’t had the pleasure of helping her with New Math (Common Core Math) Get ahold of her teacher right away for the parent cheat sheet or get one from Amazon. New Math is stupid.

Dont start it if you can avoid it. Electronics will consume them. Let them stay kids. Avoid the makeup. Before you know it they are 12 wanting fake eyelashes and shit.

I agree that 7 is Abit young for all that but we also mustn’t forget that we can’t bring children up in the world we were brought up because our world doesn’t exist anymore sadly.

2 Likes

He is the best daddy ever, let a kid be a kid to enjoy her kidhood!

3 Likes

You can set limits on screen time etc. Dont see a problem with make up. My 4 year old puts a bit of make up on her and her dolls at weekends (tiny bit of light eye shadow and lipstick) theres no harm in it. Think if your going to be extremely strict that will just make her want it even more and she could rebel when she grows up etc?

Haven’t read the whole post but regards wanting to keep things away from her like makeup… will likely only make her fascination with it grow. Let the girl play with make up. You wouldn’t stop a boy from rolling around a muddy football pitch would you…

I would sit him down and discuss a happy medium.
For example you can set limits on technology, add apps which means you have full control over what shes downloading.
Make up. Only kids makeup. Not allowed it on outside of the house. Etc etc etc
I dont think a little play makeup would mean shes wanting to do a full makeup every day. I dont think an ipad with a few educational apps on is going to turn her to tiktoc.
I wouldnt go behind her dads back though. It would cause alotta fights on Xmas morning and that wouldn’t be nice for any of you

Ugh thats a hard one. Times are changing and whether he likes it or not she is growing up. But i think for her sake she should be able to enjoy some of these things. You guys need to come to an agreement a happy medium for all

She’s 7? Too young. Let her be young as long as possible

1 Like

Well, she’s 7 and doesn’t need a cell phone or tablet. Or makeup.

1 Like

Every young girl loves dress up including makeup…limit the makeup to only when at home

1 Like

If she wants dress up go with those princess dresses and stuff. Not really the make up. It’ll let her “dress up” and use her imagination. You painting her nails i don’t see no issues there. And no way to phones or tablets, kids do get to depended on them.

At 7 I don’t think she is old enough to take on Daddy. I would honor his wishes for now. So when she is older you can say hey I waited till now she is growing up and it is time.

5 Likes

The fact is this world is technology based. Schools are all about technology and the future will be all technology. You can block apps etc to stop kids from.accessing tiktok etc. My nearly 4yo has had a tablet since she was 1 and I’ve only ever put learning apps and kids YouTube on it and she has learnt so much from it as well as from me and her daycare. As for make up in with your husband there, my kid also asks for it and always so nope not until your old enough to buy it yourself

1 Like

I should also say that children who don’t have access to technology at home are behind when they start school now that schools are bringing in computer use and tablet use so you could always use that as an argument haha

In all honesty, I see what happens to kids when they have a TikTok, Insta and Facebook. I am a teacher and I can tell you which kids spend countless hours on YouTube and on video games and who the kids are that have limited access to that and spend time with their family.

It is a family’s decision to make that choice. Make sure you are making it for the right reasons.

3 Likes

I don’t think you should go against his wishes but maybe try to come to a compromise. I don’t think you’ll be getting around the technology thing but if you do, tablets have tons of parental locks. My son has to get me anytime he wants a new game cause i have to approve it. I only let him watch YouTube when I’m around cause honestly, there is a lot of content that kids shouldn’t watch. Even YouTube kids have been found to have inappropriate things (not as often as regular YouTube but still). Mostly my son and I play and learn all day and after dinner or if i need to do something,he plays on my tablet. People say kids are addicted to them and that’s cause of the parent, not the kid. My son is perfectly fine when I tell him to put it away and he is 3. Kids make up is basically face paint. She just wants to be like you and maybe you can tell him that when it comes to make up and nail polish.

1 Like

The children’s fire Amazon tablet is good it’s both educational and you can watch things on there from you tube but you can’t actually access YouTube unless you download it and put it on for her, it’s pretty safe on that end. Children’s makeup at 7 is fine I’m sure all little girls like to experiment (I know mine do, because they see me wearing makeup) and she likes to put it on me too she gets creative in that way, so it’s not all about changing yourself in a different way. I see it as being creative. Just my opinion

Makeup and technology targeted and limited to children only is fine. Girls like to dress up. The more you restrict it the more they will seek it out when they’re older, probably behind your back. There’s YouTube for kids, nail polish for kids, etc etc etc. Its the difference between age appropriate things or not.

Technology is an essential skill. I agree that it should be VERY closely monitored. Childrens make up is an opportunity for parents to teach and train a child in appropriate use of makeup. Clear or pale pink lip gloss and nail polish as well as neutral face powder are a good start but I would puchase quality products not the kids version as they are often poor quality and can irritate skin. Also a lightly scented fragrance would be appropriate.

Age of the child matters here, but dad makes some good points. Once you give the kid those thing there is no going back.

We don’t allow our girls to have make up either. The oldest is 17 and won’t be allowed to while she lives at home. I want them to be comfortable with who they are and not rely on anything else. They are all beautiful just as God made them. We allow nail paint and it’s our bonding time. Maybe you guys can reach a middle ground and set boundaries that makes everyone happy. Best of luck!

1 Like

Why not try to compromise with your SO? I wouldn’t just go against him, parenting should be a partnership (my belief). If you two decide make up, let her wear it at home only. If it’s technology, limit her screen time.

I would get it for her its just like play makeup it washes off
As a tablet get it and limit her on it like 2-3 hours a day and put a parental control on so you can see what shes on what she watches

Her dad has some valid points. My daughter asks for play makeup all of the time but I usually tell her it’s for adults and she’s beautiful just the way she is. As for technology, my daughter has actually learned from some of the shows she watches. “Sharing is caring” she says to me. So I guess it depends on the type of shows. I’d make a compromise that TV time has a limit and shows have to be pre approved by both Mommy and Daddy.

1 Like

I would be ok with the play make up and nail polish but not the technology. I agree with dad on that portion

3 Likes

Don’t get pkay makeup get the brand ELF. Its vegan clean and cheap even to play with or as a teen to prevent skin irritations. However I think some technology would be ok that doesn’t have wifi access or a kindle that you can put parental keys.

1 Like

10000% agree with the dad! My daughter is screen/tech free, no TV in my home and when she’s older makeup won’t be allowed to or introduced to her.

2 Likes

Make up is one thing the tablet/technology is another. She needs to have some access to it now. The world we live in now is all technology they use it in schools and work soon paper won’t even be used. That doesn’t mean she has to be a couch potato though

6 Likes

Schools have gone to all technology. It’s the world we live in. If you keep her in the dark, when she’s old she’s going to rebel.

4 Likes

Find common ground between the two of you, and then discuss with your daughter at her level. There is no other way around this than the two parents compromise.

2 Likes

Yeh the make up i would personally i wouldnt the tech i made that mistake with my lil lad and i honestly think its changed him when he doesnt get to go on it his behaviour is a joke, i would try and hold off as long as poss but its hard esp in school when every1 else has them x

You need to agree on it regardless and be a team United. To sway him I would say if she doesn’t get involved with technology she is going to fall behind her peers on learning to use it and fall behind in the work force. You can ban social media and stick to education items on it but she needs to learn how to navigate technology

1 Like

It’s recommended that young children maintain less that one hour of screen time per day, just throwing that out there.

1 Like

Im kinda torn with this…i dont think its an issue because the makeup is for play and screen time limited but then again the dad make very valid points and hes right when it comes to those points. I however would not just go against my husband. I would have a conversation about it ( not fight ) and maybe compromise