My son came to me about seeing someone a few years older than him: Advice?

It’s just strange to me that a 18 year old girl would be interested in a 15 year old boy. Really, what does he have to offer her? What is she looking for in a relationship with a 15 year old. I know it happens but I wouldnt encourage it🤷🏼‍♀️

6 Likes

My husband had just turned 19 when we started dating and I was 15. My parents were really upset at first until they got to know him now we will have been together 10 years we have 2 children and my mom loves him more than me.

I would say no… not only because 15 is still a child &18 is an adult!! But to also protect the older person &us as parents.

4 Likes

It’s only 2 years if she’s 17. I would be ok with it, especially because he came to be about it first.

6 Likes

You should meet anyone your child is dating. That shouldn’t even be a question.

The woman is of the age of consent. The 15 year old is not. There fore…he can not consent to have sex with her…and it’s sexual assault…a crime. If the genders had been reversed…you wouldn’t even question this.

5 Likes

A three year difference is no big deal. My husband and I are 7 years apart. However, since one will be 18 soon and the other still a minor, they need to be careful. Have him invite her over for dinner so you can meet her and get to know her a little bit.

Personally, I believe that if both parties are mature enough to understand and make those decisions, then it should be fine. I’d also want to know the person a bit as well. I’ve always liked people older than me, my now fiance is 12 years older than me. But I also realize that when I was 13 dating people who were 18 was SEVERELY wrong in many ways, as I was not mature enough at that age. If you feel your son is mature enough (which by him telling you this, shows me a big sign of maturity) I’d be supportive of it, because he could just do it behind your back if you don’t. Give the person a chance and try getting to know them!

My nephew has been with an older girl (by 3 years) for like 4 years she’s definitely the best thing for him. A great addition to our family.

I dated a 20 year old when I was 16. I got married at 17. We’ve been together 10 years and have 2 kids. Worked out well for me! Age is just a number. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I mean the age gap I’d say is not a big deal at all. Hard part is it’s illegal…

1 Like

My wife and I are 5 years apart and I love her more than anything they’re 2 years and some odd months apart that’s honestly not that big of a difference mentally or otherwise. I’d at least meet the girl and see how you feel about it from there. I think anything up to 3 years difference was normal for me in highschool

Get to know her , before you make any judgement calls.

Is she 18 and still a student? In his school? Is she on her own or still with her parents? Big differences in maturity between 18 & 15 especially since females mature at a younger age , but if he is say a young junior and she is an older senior I dont see a problem but get to know her for sure!

1 Like

I think it depends on your son and if u feel like he is mature enough and is responsible enough but the fact that he came to u about it is awesome and i would ask for him to invite her for dinner and get to know her and see how u feel after… But telling him no right away might just make him not wanna come to u next time… Man its hard being a parent! Good luck to u :heart::heart::heart:

I wasn’t ok with it do to she’s already a Adult if you know what I mean plus a couple months later the next boys parents put chargers on her. So ya watch the Law. I know the Hospital gets the Law involved if there’s a baby involved. I know we all of dated this way but this days a Baby happens. I’M the topic better safe then sorry.

A lot of people saying it is illegal don’t really know. Some states have age of consent at 16. We don’t know what state they are on.

He’s probably gonna do it behind your back if you try to stop it. Might as well stay in the loop.
I would also let him know that she can get into trouble because he’s a minor

1 Like

My mom and step dad are 11 years apart… my mom met him when i was like 2 and theyve been together ever since. If he wants to be with her, let him. Just make sure she isnt gonna just break his heart and is a genuine person

I honestly would let him know that at 15 it is not appropriate for certain things. Being close friends and really caring for each but sex is a no no at least until he is 17. I wouldn’t say either are bad or you are bad but it’s really not healthy for a 15 and 18 to be intimate at all. There is a lot that can go wrong in this situation. How would you feel if he became a father at 15? Would he be able to work go to school and care for them raising a family.

2 Likes

Personally, that’s too big of a maturity gap. Why does an almost 18 year old go after a 15 year old? I know it happens I just don’t think it’s alright.

3 Likes

Remind him he is still a minor. But if you say no you will just make her more appealing. She might be a little immature for her age and she feels more comfortable with a younger guy. Get to know her first. Trust your son since he came to you first. Good luck

1 Like

I married a 23yo at 17. Been married 5 years now.
Girls typically mature faster than boys tho. So unless she’s on his same level I would feel something else was going on tbh.

Hated that age it was so tricky. Mine couldn’t date till 16

I wouldn’t make too big of a deal about it. If he is like most boys, he will like someone else in about 2 weeks. I would buy a box of condoms and ask if she is on birth control.

1 Like

Get to know her. Her maturity plays a big part

i would think that if you try to stop it he’s gonna either do it behind your back or repel against you. he was very mature to come to you and tell you so i think you should meet the girl and get to know her and give them a chance if he’s happy. but i would also remind him that he is a minor and that depending where you live it could be illegal to do certain intimate things with her. and just tell him that he needs to wait to be intimate till he’s 16 for it to be legal to give consent.

Your son was upfront and honest about this. Now it’s your turn. You need to explain to him that legally he is a minor and that it could cause problems for the girl if sex were to be involved. Explain to him what might happen to her. I would suggest they wait for any sort of relationship until he is 16 yrs of age (you don’t say when that is?). 2+ age difference is not so abnormal. … however your sons age makes this not okay…because he is a minor. Hopefully your son is mature enough to understand this. And who knows, by the time 16 rolls around he may be interested in another 16 year old.

My mom always told me that I wasn’t allowed to be with anyone older/younger than 2 years my age due to the law. I have the same rule for my kids.

When I was a freshman in high school I dated a senior. It wasn’t a big deal, my parents had certain rules, like curfews and such I had to follow, no being out on school nights, no parties, etc. and we didn’t have sex but my mom did have me on the pill. they always had to know where I was. I was always honest with them about who I was dating and where I was going so I think it helped them trust me and know I wanted to keep the trust. It sounds like your son is trying to have that same type of relationship. So make sure to have the “talk” with him, make sure has condoms just in case. But if you stop it, it will drive a edge between you guys. It will also make your son feel like you don’t take him seriously or think he is mature. Sometimes you have to let kids learn themselves. Even if you forbid it, they will find a way to see each other.

Met her and ask why her adult self is interested in your teenage soon

Go get a Costco sized box of condoms…my friend has a son that had sex with a girl who was about to be an adult and got pregnant on purpose. Talk to him about safe sex. Have him ALSO invite her for dinner…if she’s a no show…I would be concerned.

18yr old woman, lol…they are both still in high school. Trust your instincts, meet her, then make a decision. It was more mature than I would expect from a 15yr old to come to you and be honest about her age. He could easily have lied about it and how would you have known? All you folks walking around asking people their ages when you meet them, hey nice to meet you, how old did you say you were again?

1 Like

Be happy he told you. Shes only 2 1/2 years older, thats not a huge difference at all. Meet her, make sure its a good thing if not then step in. But if you over react you run the risk of him not coming to you anymore.

18 Likes

He came to you with honesty. I feel your job as a parent is to reciprocate that. Don’t give him a reason to discontinue sharing things with you. Speaking as a child who had not enough respect for her own parents. This situation is an opportunity. Get to know her. Let them spend time together with you around. You’ll know what’s best, you’re his mom :slight_smile:

55 Likes

Me and my husband meet when I was 14 and he was 17. When he turned 18 he talked with my dad about us being together. He didn’t have a problem with it because of being honest and talking to him. On July 3rd we will be together for 17 years and married 14 years. Still going strong and have no issues. We are actually pretty great together. I think as long as they are being smart, there shouldn’t be much of an issue.

1 Like

I asked my husband for his advise… we also have a 15yr old boy…my husband said he would tell him not to date her to keep her as a friend… they are different ages and to be honest at different levels in their lives…she is older and much more mature and hanging out with people her age and a bit older maybe while he is just developing and blossoming into a young man… he should go out wit someone his age…they’ll be experiencing the same things that kids their age do… hope this helps… like I said I have a 15 yr old boy as well…

2 Likes

Be open minded! & definitely trust your mama gut. My son is only 2, so I’m not too sure how I’d take it at first but I would be open minded to it! He was honest about it and that’s amazing.

I would say it really just depends on them as individuals. She could be a wonderful influence or a terrible one, but that could also be said for any girl he dated at any age. If she’s a good person I’d prefer the small age difference to someone closer in age but a terrible influence.

3 Likes

If he is almost 16 then it’s only 2 years. I dont think it’s bad. But I wouldn’t because if she goes off to college he maybe heart broken over it. You should definitely meet her though

2 Likes

My son is 18 and was he was talking to a 15 yr old (she was almost 16) I called my sheriff and asked him the law for my state he said 16 and up is allowed but don’t chance it because there have been times charges have been pressed anyways. He said 18 yr old need to date 18 and up to be on the safe side.

11 Likes

My husband is 9 almost 10 years older than me but we met when I was 25. Just have a talk with both of them about the laws in your state and that dating and friendship is fine but you expect them to abide by the laws that are there for a reason to protect minors from bad choices. Maybe even have a conversation with her parents about your expectation that both of them will follow your state laws related to their relationship.

2 Likes

I don’t see a huge problem, except the trouble she can run into legally. My son has a similar age difference in his relationship. For mine they can still date, but must have a chaperone until she turns 18.

14 Likes

Definitely meet her and give her a chance - giving your son a chance to show he makes good decisions is a good way to ensure he will return to you in the future and let you in on his life !

1 Like

It’s only three years I am seven years older than
My husband it has never bothered us or our families when our parents were alive he was only 19 when we got together I was coming up to 27 and I had been married we ourselves have now been married 42 years July age is just a number it should have no bearing on their relationship as long as they are happy …

5 Likes

If he’s being so honest with you please keep an open mind you don’t have to make a decision right away. It’s ok to need a little thinking time. It’s ok to want to meet her AND her parents. Set boundaries and give him a chance to show you that you taught him right!

50 Likes

In my opinion even for a girl at 18 that is still a child and they dont know what they want!! I would just talk to your son and advise him and at least he is telling you and talking to you. Maybe let him invite her over so you can meet her and they can hang out at your house under your supervision. Maybe just limit their alone time to where nothing could happen and like metioned about talk openly about the sex part. If she was to get pregnant you could press charges but I think you would have to want to and so would your son???
I know a couple that that had their first child together and the mother was already 18 and the father had just turned 16 when the child was born. The father was mature for his age… but also I feel like he lost his childhood! So just use your own judgement!!

3 Likes

My son was seeing a girl who was 17 when he was 15, and it ended up being a really bad situation. She wanted to get pregnant and he was too naive to realize the relationship was toxic and he was being manipulated. She would threaten breaking up and/or suicide and things were just out of hand.

2 Likes

Remember 18 yr olds are adults, your son isn’t. I’d say find out if she’s a good person and influence. Yes, you should meet her but a casual meeting. Our kids want to tell us things if they feel safe and heard.

11 Likes

Meet her, keep your mind open, keep communication open between yourself and your son. At 15, if you tell him no… He’ll find a way. Best to be supportive but also be aware that he will probably need you too. My daughter has dated older by 7 years and younger by 3 years… She was 18 and 17 respectively. I didn’t sway either way to either relationship but kept communication open for both. My other daughter is dating an abusive “boy” whom I absolutely do not approve of, I voiced my concerns… She won’t speak to me anymore… She just turned 19, before said relationship, she was the kid that was “going to live home forever”.

1 Like

The toughest part about being a parent is supporting our children’s choices even when we dont agree with them.
Support him as he ventures into this or any other relationship. That’s the best thing you can do. That way, if and when things go awry, he will know you will always be there to help him get through it all.

2 Likes

I knew a girl that was a HS senior and dated a freshman. By the time he was a senior and 17, she was turning 21. They dated all through HS and recently got married. Not all stories will turn out Happily Ever After but as a parent you can use your best judgement. In this case, the older girl was very sweet, kind, and respectful. His family absolutely loves her.

Get to know her, meet her family, find out her future plans as someone who is almost an adult.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be worried about the age difference in terms of actual years. I would be more worried about the legalities of it all. She is considered an adult who is dating a minor. I have seen similar situations that do not end well…

2 Likes

It’s really a small difference. Keep an eye on them and see how if the relationship is healthy. But I do think he’d rebel if you didn’t give her a chance

17 Likes

I’m not saying it’s good or bad. But I’m just going to say my experience.
Also my mom & aunt married men 11 years younger than them, but they were all legal adults. I think this is tricky water when 1 half of the pair becomes a legal adult & the age gap is more than a year.

I did that. I was the 17 yr old & my boyfriend was 2 grades younger in high school. I don’t recommend it. Teens can be impressionable & I was ready to grow up & he wasn’t. I feel like I led him into things he shouldn’t have been exposed to. His mom didn’t like me & she was right about her feelings. I completely regret it looking back & he was stuck on me in an unhealthy way. When we got into our 20s I told him that I’m sorry that we went out when we were younger. I felt to blame for decisions he eventually made in his life.
His response to me was, “Ya. It was your fault because you became an adult and I was still a kid.”

2 Likes

Be happy he told you 3years not a massive age difference he sounds very mature and honest for his age

I was 17 1/2 when I met my husband 22 years ago. He was 15. Now that I’m 39 with a 13 year old, I admit it sounds crazy. Meet her first.

3 Likes

it’s a 2 year age difference i really don’t see the problem. you said she’s soon to be 18.

3 Likes

The major reason I find this odd is because boys mature so much slower than girls and it’s rare for a girl to guy for a guy so much younger at this age…meet her before you make any judgements though

2 Likes

Meet her! Meet her parents! Find out about them then make your decision. I was in a similar situation, but we met when I was almost 13 and he was 15 and continued the relationship until I was 16-17. We started very very slowly. And we’re supervised a ton in the beginning bc I was so young. But our parents met and got to know each other and it was great. Most people hear 3 years apart where it can turn into an 18 yr old and a younger one and freak out…but it honestly depends on the individual and how both parents raise each kid. While we each make our own decisions…if the parents are responsible and good people…most likely as long as the child (adult) is close to them whether they still live under their roof or not, they’re probably not a bad influence. In my situation, while neither of us did anything questionable ever…we were perfectly matched as little angels (and pretty boring by other kids standards) I was probably the “edgier” more prone to push the boundaries more than he was. Seriously…do research and don’t feel like you’re prying…you’re doing your job…then decide.

1 Like

I would be against my 15 year old daughter dating an 18 year old man. So I’d just tell him to go for someone his age

2 Likes

“Soon to be 18”
How soon and when is his bday? What if he’s closer to 16 and she’s further from 18 than he is to 16. We just don’t know.

2 Likes

I was 16 and dating a 19 year old guy. We worked together at the same large supermarket. My parents agreed to meet him. We dated until I graduated high school, but i knew I wanted to go away to college. We are still in contact thru fb and text, but both happily married. I am glad my parents agreed to meet him because he made high school bearable.

1 Like

no shes 18 and hes a minor not a good combination

9 Likes

I think you should meet her … he is underage for one and she shouldn’t be messing around with a minor

3 Likes

I’m 4 years older than my hubby…but I guess it is a little weird at that age. Kudos to him for coming to you! Definitely meet her and see how it goes.

1 Like

Yes. Meet her. Remind her that when she turns 18, 15 will get her 20. Period.

42 Likes

I think as long as she treats your son right, you shouldn’t worry. An age difference that small shouldn’t be a factor if he’s happy

2 Likes

I think let life take its own terms. He may anyway gave heartbeat if you stop and heartbeat when the senior leaves. The second option is better and he has your cushion.

You must! My daughter brought this trashy boy over. I could tell they were dating. She is 18 and he is 17. He would not say a literal word. Not even a hi. I got my answer immediately upon meeting. I would just stay aware. As you said. Stay grateful he feels open enough to be honest. I wish mine would at times be completely honest

If your son hasn’t had the sex talk, do it now. Also remind him that technically what she is doing is illegal once she turns 18. The age difference is small but sometimes there is a HUGE maturity difference.

7 Likes

You should meet her. Absolutely. I have had the same issue with my daughter… she has always dated older boys. One day she confessed the boy she was so interested in was 20 and she was 16. He told her that he wouldn’t call her his girlfriend until he knew her mom approved. I really liked him and I kept saying he seemed so mature :woman_facepalming:t3: ummm no… this is a decision that no one else can make. My husband is so hung up on age. We had many discussions. We were worlds apart. I thought nothing of her dating an 18 year old at 16. My husband did not like it…

Honestly, I think you should see what’s up first. I can understand the judgement. In all reality they’re only a couple years apart. The whole “she’s an adult, he’s a minor” thing I think isn’t fair just because of their age. They’re still both young. I don’t think there’s really an “adult” thing she could really do yet anyway. Just talk about safe sex I guess? :tired_face: no matter how awkward it probably can be, don’t let him forget that it can be safe!!

1 Like

It’s illegal… help … statutory rape… Jesus Christ there’s so many Karens and Beckys in here… Meet the girl she’s not 40 she’s 17… You obviously think your son is mature enough to date and if that’s the case give them a chance and meet her,she might be a wonderful person

1 Like

He is a minor and she is an adult so absolutely not allowed. Plus my kids ain’t aloud to date till at least the age of 16.

1 Like

As long as they’re still both in hs I don’t see a problem it. Just keep the open dialogue w him about precautions and experience levels. And get to know her. My daughter will turn 18 right at the beginning of her senior year. Because of her aug bday we did a young 5s program before kinder. She’s also dyslexic w ADHD so she’s still a few years less mature then she peers.

As someone who was older than other kids in school from being held back in school due to bad home arrangements, I would meet her. She may be 18 but there are some 18 year old still in high school. It’s hard to tell without u meeting her to see what she is like. Also to call someone a adult at 18 is very opinionated, yes I get that legally that’s the rightful age but what did we all know at that age. I myself was not mentally near a adult status.

Definitely meet her and suggest that the time they spend together is at your house. It’s okay to be the uncool mom.

1 Like

I think you should meet her a couple of times before making any kind of judgment. For one she is 17 not 18 even though she will be on her next birthday. If you are going to look at it that way your son will be 16 on his next birthday …?? You also have to give your son credit for the fact that YOU raised him. Do you trust him. ? To have reasonable judgment for a teenage boy. He did come to you with a dilemma he found possibly morally more complicated than he felt he was prepared for. ? So if she is also a moral, not overly mature young lady. Who has a crush on him. You may want to wait and see if the puppy love burns out. Or if they mature together and it becomes the real thing. Often times the harder parents push against a relationship, the tighter the bond becomes. Even if it is Toxic.

Is your son mature for his age? If so he may be able to handle it. I personally would not want my son dating a girl nearly 3 yrs older than him when he was 15. Too many hormones and that means teen boys and even teen girls have one thing on their mind. Also, I’d make sure he has protection just in case a moment arises that they can be alone.

4 Likes

Only 3 years difference , if she makes him happy that’s all that matters , meet her and get to know her ,you might be surprised how much she cares about him .

1 Like

I would stress to him the legal aspect of their relationship.
I have seen first hand what can happen when an older girls parents pressed charges on a younger boy. The couple ended up married for YEARS &. Have 5 kids. But he is still a registered sex offender (20yrs later) and can’t attend any of his kids school functions.

I’m 4yrs and 9months older than my husband. We met when he was 22 and we were both in the military. As a teen I couldn’t see wanting to date someone that much younger than me but then again it would depend on both maturity levels. If you are worried about sex have a conversation with them. It may be uncomfortable but I didn’t lose my virginity (if that’s even a thing anymore) until I was 19 already in the military, their relationship could be completely innocent and just “hanging out” because they have things in common.

We just had this conversation with my DD11. !! We talked about how age differences matter more when you’re younger. Given the fact that she is 18 and is considered an adult (?), One might think twice. It’s awesome he can to you!!! Be proud of that. The relationship might not go far. I would want to meet her. I’d ask if she’s a virgin. (Ha). And of she does drugs. Cuz that’s really the concern: sex and access to drugs. Did she graduated from high school? Going to college now? All those thoughts go through my mind.

1 Like

I would sit down and talk too him! ask him too invite the girl over for dinner with you guys! and get too know her and like some other ladies suggested also meet her parents and get too know them! goodluck!!!

And I’ve just been over here worrying if letting my 15 year daughter hang out with her boyfriend SUPERVISED is a right decision :tired_face: parenting is tough

I started dating my husband when I was 15 and he was 18, we’ve now been together 14 years, married for 11 with 3 beautiful children. My mom just laid down some pretty strict ground rules at first then ease upped as time went on

I would definitely meet her just to analyze the relationship dynamic. That does seem like a gap because they’re in such different places in their lives.

Y’all need to put into perspective that a sophomore could b 15 and a senior 18… You need to meet this girl. He might do it behind your back if you forbid it anyways… Would you let your 15yo daughter date an 18yo boy?

2 Likes

Be open minded, but in the back of your mind remember she is female so by nature she’s more mature and she’s older. So unless your son is the most mature 15 year old on the planet something is wrong with this girl to not date someone her own age and you don’t want your son caught up in her immaturity. I’d say the same thing if it was the other way, it’s not okay just because the older person is a female

Romeo and Juliet laws, as long as the relationship starts before the people involved are beyond the age of legality, they can do as they please, sounds to me if they were dating and Mom was told (and/or introduced) they likely were together before the age of legality…
You may not want to hear this but if hes 15 theres likely an 87% chance hes already been sexually active… the fact that girls typically mature sooner than boys, it may actually be a good thing (she may be more inclined to make sure theres protection around than he is)

1 Like

I would invite her over for dinner. Maybe even her parents so you can all sit down and talk about the legal ramifications. She is only 18 and may not be aware of how this could impact her life if they are not careful. Leave the decision up to them because telling them they can’t date isn’t going to do any good. They might decide to break it off or wait until he’s older on their own.

3 Likes

Are they both still in high school? Personally I dont see anything wrong with it. My his and and I are 5 years apart. Meet the girl and go from there

I have twin 15 year old boys and my answer would be no! I barely like having girls their own age coming to the house…there’s a huge difference between an 18 year old and a 15 year old. Also it’s called statutory rape and she could go to jail. If I had a 15 year old daughter the answer would still be no.

You need to meet her first before any thing is said that you won’t be able to take back. I’m know myself being a boy I’m no “slutty “ girl is good enough for my son. Lol. But honestly she might be more his age then hers. But that’s only my 2 cents. Good luck

Just keep in mind he’s going to see her regardless. He may be a very mature 15 year old boy. Which may be why she’s attracted to him. I’ve seen some fifteen-year-olds around here and I can’t hardly believe it. Facial hair, tall and muscular… Hopefully he’s mature intellectually as well. I say meet her. But whatever you do, don’t close that openness that you have with your son. I have a 24 year old in a 14 year old. Both boys. This’ll probably play itself out anyway. It’s a learning experience. Just be there for your son for when it hits the fan.

I would invite her over for dinner. And if they seem serious I would invite her to whatever family functions you guys have to really get to know her and see how their relationship is.

15 will get her 30. Dont be naive hopefully your not. Stuff will if not already happen. You cant agree with this then get her in trouble. Your in or out from the beginning bow that you know. I went through this same age, makes me sick to think about it. Only i didnt know till it was to late. She took his virginity

So she’s currently 17 so they’re both minors. I would meet her and see if it’s something serious or just puppy love. If it seems more serious have a very frank conversation that anything between them once she turns 18 could be seen as statutory rape (some states have a Romeo and Juliet exception where if there’s proof they’d been together prior to one party turning 18 they’re exempt). Personally I do think 15 years and 18 years is miles away in maturity usually and I wouldn’t be thrilled but I’d see what develops. As soon as it starts to turn inappropriate I’d step in.

I’d just make sure they were being safe if it got to that point. 3 years isn’t bad. It’s wonderful that you have that good of a relationship with him for him to be that honest with you. Great Job Momma!