My son has a diaper rash due to his antibiotic: What can I do?

Please take him back to the dr my son had the same thing happen because of an antibiotic given for an ear infection and ended up have c.diff

1 Like

Try not to wipe him when he wet or anything use a warm wash cloth and let him air it out. Dont soak him in the tub it makes it worse

Call the doctor and see if they will give his something else first and let him soak in a warm bath with baking soda, try butt paste, use a thick layer of Vaseline on his butt so hopefully it keeps some of the poop from touching his butt.

Use a soft warm cloth to clean him, let him go without a diaper for awhile to air dry and apply a&d ointment. The a&d works wonders by placing a barrier on the skin.

Usually what I do with my kids when they had bad diaper rash I would give them a bath then after I would let them air dry without a diaper on for a little bit and then put lotions and cremes . Atleast it might help a little.

Cornstarch is amazing!

I use a mixture of A&D ointment, Coconut Oil,& Vitamin E Oil. I mix it all together in a container and put on a decent Layer every time I change him. It works really good.

Gold Bond for the rash and jello and pedialyte.

Put a small amount of flour yes flour in a foil plate put it in a warm oven until it turns lightly brown move it around so it won,t burn it when its cool put it on your babys bottom it really works my great grandson was so bad they tried every thing they could bye and I told them to use that he was better in one day i always used it on my children it,s worth a try

1 Like

Call your Dr,s office ,you probly need R X . For that .

Let his bottom get some air…bless y’all.

They sell at walgreens

An old fashioned remedy you take flour put it with nothing on low heat scorch it,set it out on wax paper make sure 100% cooled completely! Dap it on it worked may sound crazy,ask Doctor to feel comfortable trying it

I’m not sure of the age requirements but probiotics work wonders to help keep diarrhea from happening. And for the rash, allow baby to go diaper free as much as possible. Nystatin cream from the doctor will help clear it up faster, too. Butt paste or A&D worked really well for my kids.

Ask your doctor for probiotics. I gave this to my kids whenever they were on antibiotics or had any type of stomach bug, it does help. It can help ease the diarrhea which will help with the diaper rash. Also cover his rash with a&d ointment, it helps heal and also creates a barrier on his skin.

If baby has a rash because of antibiotics it sounds like a yeast rash. Lotromin (for jock itch… antifungal) at every diaper change should clear it. You should see improvement within 24 hrs.

Corn starch is the best

2 Likes

Good ole Vaseline. And alot of it. Completely cover all the diaper area. My daughter was allergic to Pampers but I had a whole case. So I Vaselined her diaper area and it worked.

Vaseline works best for my daughter!! Better than zinc oxide that’s for sure. Yeast infections need to be treated with special antibiotics but they can be prevented with keeping the area clean dry and then lathered in Vaseline baby. It smells like cabbage patch kids too!!!

Good for rashes is calmoseptine I have a child and she likes because it’s cool and soothing and removes the rash in a single day.

Call the pediatrician, not the best antibiotics for him. You can mix Destin and Butt Paste together and that helps a lot

Aquaphor! We have a little that had a terrible rash and the only thing that worked was aquqphor. We also let her air dry and even blow on it or pat her dry with a clean washcloth.

Liquid maalox, right in the diaper. It neutralizes the acid in the urine and soothes the skin. I’ve used it on all 6 of my kids, and 2 grandbabies.

1 Like

Corn starch is the best! It will be totally calmed down in minutes.

1 Like

Instead of wiping with diaper wipes, wash with warm water. Also destin never worked for my babies I always use A&D.

1 Like

Something like this is what I used for my daughter. It’s a very thick paste and worked wonders for her. I had to ask for it behind the pharmacy but that was also 15 years ago.

1 Like

I get my baby oatmeal baths and then just let them be diaperless or put a cloth diaper on them so they can stay dry also I know he’s only 7 months but try giving him some Pedialyte because antibiotics make people get dehydrated so maybe that’s why he’s having really bad diarrhea

Naked time
Lay down towels and/or easily washable blankets and let him be naked for awhile

1 Like

We use this Caldesene, either the blue or pink bottle. Can find at Walgreens

Buttpaste is the name of the cream you apply to the baby’s bottom. It clears this rash up quick. It’s available at Walmart and Pharmacies. Looks brown but works great

Bless his little heart ! My son also did the same thing . I tried to leave diaper off any chance I could . Also used Balmex and Vaseline . The Balmex really seals everything in . Praying for your precious baby !

aquaphor is great to use all the time

A&D ointment was the best thing for my son. Much better than Vaseline.

buttpaste works great bad diaper rash

May be yeast. Ask doctor for some. Lotrimin

pinxav or calmoseptine you can get both at CVS- frost the butt like a cake!! Hello Bello diapers from Walmart are super soft and very absorbent.

If you can let LO be naked for awhile that will help. Best suggestion is: bathe, air dry and whatever ointment you use once you put the diaper back on apply it very generously. All you wanna do is create a moisture barrier between their skin and what comes out of them. And check diapers every hr.

First I would give him a lukewarm bath and then pat dry really well and apply Desitin

I had,that happen to my son and I just wrapped him in towels. It was from augmentin(?) There are other antibiotics instead of that I would call the pediatrician and have him on something else.

Wet napkins with room temperature water to wipe his butt or you can also use a squirt bottle

My son has the most sensitive skin I tried everything with him and this is the only thing that worked for his diaper rash this stuff is amazing and soo fast

My son had a reaction like that to the antibiotic Augmentin. He had diarrhea and vomiting. I asked them to prescribe him something else. After that anytime he needed antibiotics I told them not to give him augmentin. Also, I would double check to see if that’s just a regular diaper rash. It could be some other type of rash or yeast.

Give him an antihistamine

Rinse off with cool water. And let him air dry. You will deal with rashes almost everytime you use antibiotics. And it might be yeast so apply lotrimin/coconut oil and diaper rash rash cream. Antibiotics make chances of yeast infection higher

Cool rinse off in sink or bath and I also use baby powder and let him run naked.

Don’t use wipes, use wet paper towels to clean him and make sure he’s completely dry before putting a new diaper on

If you’re breastfeeding you can put some milk in the rash. Let him air out a little and use some cornstarch powder. Get well soon baba!

Ouch! Poor kid poor you. My youngest had picked up a bug that forced a lot of acidic diahrrea. All of the suggestions are good. I found baking soda to be cheaper and better.

Lotrimin and cover that with desitin max relief.

Go to the pharmacy and get proper diaper cream like matainiem

Boudreaux buttpaste and ask pharmacist for active cultures to mix in soft foods

Contact your doctor, he may need to use a different medication or take him off that med. The diarrhea can be extremely dangerous due to dehydration. This is urgent!

Take him back to the doctor. It could be thrush/yeast. A pretty common side effect of antibiotics.

You can also call and ask to be switched to a different antibiotic, that can be a sign, the diarrhea that his body isnt reacting the way it should

Brown(burn) flour in a pan and let it cool, put some on his heinie every diaper change. Also put some baking soda and epson salt into a like warm bath and lay in there with his bottom in the water with him on your chest.

I had the same issue with my daughter and someone told me to put Vaseline on diaper and cover the rash with destin it actually worked and she is perfectly fine and also contact your doctor and change the medication

Vaseline! I tried every single diaper cream out there for my kiddos and that was the one that worked the best.

Get water wipes and warm baths help too!

Let him soak in warm water and baking soda then carefully pat dry. I recommend Boudreau’s butt paste or monkey butt. And rinse him in the tub instead of wiped. Also if it’s that bad your pediatrician should be informed and they can prescribe an ointment. My son had one so bad once that his skin was literally wiping away with every diaper change and these are the things they told me to do.

with antibiotics for ear infections my daughter had a lot she had to get tubes in her ears… they said eat yogurt so you wont get yeast infections and diarrhea so it helped a lot since she was always on meds 2x’s a month she would switch from amoxicillin to the other one… the diaper rash meds I use is so good it cleared it up the next morning is called Triple Paste you can get it at Walmart I totally recommend it

1 Like

Let him be without a diaper for a couple of hours cornstarch works I would call the doctor he maybe allergic to it. You can give him rice water to drink bananas it helps stop diarrhea. Call his doctor first let them know the symptoms. I hope he gets better soon.

Use water wipes and resinol!

Rinse him off with warm water

No more wiping him
It hurts like MF

Lists of A&D or the Borbourax Butt cream the yellow tube

It’s most like a yeast infection, most antibiotics cause a yeast infection check with pediatrician so you can get a better treatment so it will go away wuickly

1 Like

sorry but also warm baths as well

petroleum jelly is good.

Culturelle is a powder probiotic that goes in their bottle or drink. My pediatrician had me give it to my son every time he had to have an antibiotic and even for some time after. Regulates his intestines and stopped his reaction. His first antibiotic he got colostrum difficile and lost 3 lbs in 5 days at 8 months. Keep on top of it and in touch with the doctor.

Corn starch , baths in Epson salt …Very good

Lotrimon Af for athlete’s foot can buy the walmart brand my kids got it after an antibotic. Its a yeast infection not diaper rash

Vaseline or zinc oxide ointment

At the NICU at earlanger they use milk of magnesia and a heat lamp. Cleared up in 2 days .

Use water to clean every diaper change, bathe in baking soda, and use all natural coconut oil for the rash. Try to be without a diaper

Corn starch! Clean him up and cover his bottom with plain cornstarch

Brown some flour make sure bottom is washed and dry and put it on his but works pretty well

Get a script for nystatin.

This may sound funny but Monistat for yeast infection

It won’t help the pain of his diaper rash but start feeding him plain yogurt to help reset the natural bacteria in his gut.

Make a cornstarch paste my mama said that was all that worked on me. My cousins sons pediatrician told her to just use baby powder with pure cornstarch in it on diaper rashes he said you want to pull moisture out not put it back in

Oatmeal baths and corn starch!

Triple ointment paste works great. It’s next to desitin at the stores put it on before bed. And then a&d throughout the day to keep pee and poop off the rash and sit baths once or twice a day to keep the area clean until the rash is gone.

Butt paste and corn startch. We had butt burn at one point and this is actually what the pediatrician recommended butt paste and you can add corn starch to the bath as well. its the only thing that worked after 2 diaper changes he stopped screaming

Try Vitamin A D ointment find it in the baby sections of all stores. Then the next time baby boy needs antibiotics start using the A & D ointment and it shouldn’t get that bad.

My grandma would take regular flour and cook it until the moisture was out of it. Put it on the babies bottom at every diaper change. I have never used Destin or any other creams or powders. My kids never had a diaper rash

A&D was always best for my kids that stuff works wonders in mins

Definitely butt paste. Also feeding him yogurt helps restore the natural bacteria that the antibiotic wipes out.

My daughter had that happen once. My doctor advised to put diaper rash cream (Dr. Smith’s has been amazing for us) then to put Vaseline on top of the diaper rash cream. Her diaper rash was gone by the next evening.

Call the pediatrician and see if they can prescribe some ointment. Other than that allow him to be naked as much as possible and use cornstarch. Poor guy I hope he feels better soon.

1 Like

Breastmilk! Mix it with whatever you put on baby. I use coconut oil mixed with breastmilk. Gone the next day. Also a bath with baking soda in it and let baby air dry.

A&D is the only thing that works for my little guy.

corn starch, it works wonder on my senstive baby, it takes care of the problem right within a 24hr period!

1 Like

I used butt paste and aquaphor. Also applesauce is really good for diarrhea it might help slow it down a bit.

Butt paste you can get it anywhere

Pat clean with a water wash cloth versus baby wipes, let baby completely dry before putting new diaper on, baby powder to help absorb moisture then diaper rash cream called butt paste it’s more expensive than desitin but desitin doesn’t work on my son where this stuff works within the first use! Even if rash clears up keep his skin with a barrier such as aquaphor or Vaseline!! Good luck and prior to if u can before u start an antibiotic again start putting vaseline on to protect baby’s skin from all the poop

Lots and lots of vaseline… worked miracles for my kids

I use aquaphor and it’s amazing for his rash.

Call the dr they might change the medicine or give you something for it

lotrimin. (like the athletes foot stuff).
aquaphor.
triple paste cream.
all three of them work great.

Also, try to use wipes without chemicals & fragrance, use a wet rag if possible instead of wipes or water wipes… let as much air to the rash as possible.
my neice had VERY sensitive skin & got frequent rashes and that was the sort of thing i had to keep up on with her. & my son has even gotten a few stubborn rashes from as many ear infections-rounds of antibiotics hed been on prior to having tubes placed.

Dr Abdullah but paste, you need to take him to the dr for it though

Take him to the doctors. It could be a yeast infection from the meds he is taking and might need a medicine just for the yeast

Corn starch works amazing with my one for nappy rashes

Use a and d ointment every diaper change. Air out when possible. I’m going through it with my daughter now that’s 8 months.

Aveeno baby bath. You can mix florastor probiotic into yogurt.