My son has a diaper rash due to his antibiotic: What can I do?

This happen to my son when he was little, took him back to the Dr and they said it’s a allergic reaction and switched his antibiotic!

Corn starch and vaseline.

I’d call his Dr. He could be allergic to that medicine. Otherwise, put some aloe on it, let it air dry for a while, I mean like 30 ish min and set him in warm plain water.

Use a clean cotton or other super soft cloth with some warm water. Let the bum have some air.
Make sure he stays hydrated. Give more liquids then usual.
Warm bath will help sooth his bottom as well.
Maybe take him back to his doctor or call .could possibly be a small allergic reaction.
Good luck. Diaper rash sucks. Poor baby

Its an allergic reaction you need to stop those antibiotics and take him back to dr. My son did this same thing and thats what the dr told me. They also gave us some probiotics and said use Pedialyte bc diahrea can dehydrate them. Make sure hes drinking plenty.

Antibiotics usually cause yeast infections, take him to the Dr for a script to clear. Diaper rash cream won’t work.

3 Likes

Corn starch and letting his butt breath for about 10 minutes after every change i know its alot of work but it should help and do not use baby wipes to wipe his little bumm use wash cloths that arent to rough and just keep it super dry down there my son had a bad diaper rash and first i used cornstarch and then once it started to get better I would after every diaper change make sure his down there is compltetly dry then smuther desitin on his little bottom and change diaper as often as possible

Coconut oil is the best when desitin doesn’t work and letting them be diaper free for as long as possible

Cold pressed organic Coconut oil it has Antibacterial properties and excellent skin conditioner it is wonderful!

put a little corn starch after each cleaning

My son did this when he was little he was having a reaction to the antibiotics. Try some baby bananas an water that what they put mine on it the hospital put it in a bottle.

Aquaphor, or coconut oil, and let him play in the bath for a little while it honestly helps a lot. A lot of little one’s can get diarrhea from certain antibiotics, usually the doctor tells you when it is a possibility. But if they didn’t say it could be a possibility I would just double check with the doctor because it could also be that he is allergic to the medicine.

A&D ointment, NOT a house brand. Wash first gently with mild soap and water, pat dry and slather A&D liberally on after each diaper change, regardless if is j=is just a urination or a poop. Used it on two daughters and five grandsons. Also used by two friends who underwent chemo with the dreadful diarrhea. Gave relief to all.

Clean well let dry cake with desitin

Tell his doc they’ll give u something

Get a prescription from your Dr.

I dealt with this a few months ago. I let my little dude have no diaper on a few times a day. Put him on a towel . Use a clean warm wash cloth everytime to wipe the poop off and target extra sensitive wipes work wonders. I use three different creams one was bag balm(sold at walgreens) . It could be yeast infection on it though so you might have to take him back in
Nystatin powder works well on yeast diaper infections the doctor can write a prescription. Also buy a nuby diaper cream brush they sell them at walmart. Then your bacteria from your hands won’t get on the rash.

If you have Aldi’s near you they have a diapers rash cream with highest Zinc content of all creams. $0.99 . It is the best great for bed sores to. But like everyone else has said call doctor see if it reaction to medication or yeast. Keep him hydrated and feed him Brat diet. Dry toast, rice, banana. You can if it is real bad let him go without a diaper to let him dry out. But watch out him will pee and dodo around you house it is what we did in old days. Don’t give him to much sugarly drinks can make dodo worse.

It might be a YEAST INFECTION. Antibiotics can cause that. I’d call the pcp

Triple paste is awesome

Use Neosporin. It was the only thing that works for my son when he was a baby and it also has an anesthetic to help with the pain.

Probably a yeast infection from the antibiotic. Ask the pediatrician, nystatin usually clears it up in a few days

Corn starch. Baked flour. Or just let him go without a diaper for a little bit.

The doctor will give you the best cream to fight it

Utter butter from tractor supply. Only thing that worked on my son. Not the best smell. Used on cow utters after milking. Works great as a barrier for diarrhea.

yogurt, yogurt, yogurt…when anyone takes any antiboitics

Calmoseptine works wonders!

A&D ointment. The yellow stuff not white.

Put pure Crisco lard on it and it will heal up. I used it and.my kids used it on there kids. It works .

I know thos may sound weird but unscented petroleum jelly is the best when it comes to diaper rash

Antibiotics kill both the good AND the bad bacteria in the intestines. You need to give probiotics to build up the good & restore the balance. When my daughter got it, I went through every cream, no diaper, soaking in tub, prescription ointment, which worked until I ran out, then came right back! Thankfully, someone told me about Adele Davis, she was a nutrition authority way before it was popular! She said crush one 100 mg tablet of Vitamin B 6 into a bottle 3 x a day until it clears up. Vitamin B doesn’t build up in the body, it uses what it needs & then excretes the rest in your urine! That’s why your urine gets brighter yellow when you take Vitamin B supplements! I want you to know that within one day it was better & just continued until it was completely healed! The B vitamins allowed the good bacteria to grow in her intestines! I was so relieved, my baby had a rash so bad it was bleeding in places! I felt so hopeless! From that point on I started the B6 anytime she went on antibiotics, until she was through! Never had a problem again! I went on to have 7 more kids & used many of Adele Davis’s suggestions from her book “Let’s Have Healthy Children”! It was a godsend for me!

My great aunt showed me that cornstarch helps wonders everytime my kids get one I use it and it really helps to protect it and clear it up

Utter balm from pet store I think you mix a little corn starch in this is what we used for ours

Plain vaseline or A&D ointment. Destin stings when you put it on a really bad rash and hurts when trying to clean their bottom .

We tried everything from creams to ointments. The only thing that worked was cornstarch to keep it dry after every single diaper change. And its all natural. Poor baby!

Use Butt Paste. That might help.

Dr Smith’s ointment. No baby wipes. Just rinse his bottom in the sink until its better.

Wash him at each change cool water only instead of wiping pat dry and use corn starch on nappy area

1 Like

Give him probiotics too! It will help greatly with his poop, and just keep changing diapers often and cover that bum with diaper rash cream. Dont be shy with it. Once his poop gets better the rash will quickly heal up. And you can give tylenol for pain.

Desitin is what I used

The doc told me to get lotramen a f for foot fungi and it was gone the next day.its not cheap about 10$

Dr Bordeaux’s Butt Paste. I used it on all 4 of my boys. Would clear up the rashes in like 24 hours!!!

Try breast Mike if you are breast feeding

My son suffers from horrendous diaper rashes. We found that getting warm water and soaking a cloth and just slowly dripping it on his bum and cleaning him up like that helped a lot. Than we would let him go diaper less until he dried. Tim consuming and messy but it helped him at change time. We also have an antibiotic that we use when it gets real bad.

I let my son be diaperless for a little bit when he gets rashes. Wave the diaper to air his rash dry etc. Baby powder and butt paste. Don’t let any most sit

rinse the poo off under water instead of wipes. It makes a HUGE difference

3 Likes

Aquaphor healing ointment is my favorite.

Coat him with vaseline after every change so his skin has a thick layer of protection! It makes a huge difference :blush:

I use a&d ointment, the regular vaseline type one, not the diaper cream. It creates a barrier so the diarrhea can’t penetrate his pores. Also wash his butt with warm water and soap instead of wiping. Wiping opens the skin

1 Like

Ask pediatrician if you can give .2 mL of Imodium. And also hydrate him well. Good luck mama :heart:

I’m from the old school we was good old Vaseline and it worked my kids never had diaper rash

Butt paste that’s the actual name, for his but. Vaseline for his front. Every diaper change
You need something stronger than desitin

Could it be a yeast infection? Iv always used Monistat 7 on my babies cleared up in a day all the other things iv tried diaper rash cream, butt paste, Vaseline never worked.

Bordeaux Butt Paste extra strength, use water wipes to clean his bum, tylenol, and let his bumm be bare for 15 minutes to an hour as needed to dry his bum after diaper change.

Any diaper rash with my kids was mycelex and Corona mixture

Probiotics doe babies

There is bed sore paste that wi have it cleared up quick… used it on all my kids it starts with a c and is in a green and white tube…

Sudocrem diaper rash cream after every diaper change

Go back to doctor. May be allergic to that specific antibiotic

Aquaphor is what I have used and loved it will be going back to it when my 2nd one is born

1 Like

My son experienced diahrrea when taking amoxicillin. NO other antibiotic did this. If that is what he is taking have iy changed made all the difference in the world
The doctor didn’t believe me but once it was changed the diahrrea subsided. From then on an alternate amtibiotic was prescribed when needed and no more problem

See if you can get a different type of antibiotic. Both myself and my daughter can not tolerate regular amoxicillin. Always ends up in a bad rash or worst, a yeast infection.

A&D oitment is great. Or cooking cornstarch helps too but A & D is great.

1 Like

Diarrhea is a very common side effect of antibiotics. Call the provider who prescribed it. Bananas, rice. Applesauce are great for diarrhea. But, call the dr

Put vaseline ,A+D , dry corn starch

If you breastfeed put breast milk on it! It works better than a majority of the diaper rash creams and ointments.

Let your dr know that its giving your son a rash! They should be able to try a different antibiotic. And for some comfort try either baby powder with or without cornstarch or just plain cornstarch should make him more comfortable til it’s time to use a wipe again. Then when it dont burn so bad use neosporin and kinda rotate between the 2

Bag balm green tin can
… its amazing

1 Like

When my boys were young dr told me triple antibiotic ointment first then desitin over top to seal it. Cleared them up every time

The best thing you can do is air it out! Let him go diaper free In top of a towel for a few hrs a day. You’ll see a huge difference immediately and avoid wipes. Use dry wipes with warm water. Make sure area is completely dry before any creams! Good luck I promise this works!

1 Like

Zincofax and Vaseline mixed together .Give babies bum some air time too

Wet paper towls warm. A nurse line gave me that tip. Follow through with warm baths they cannsit in for a bit and then the cream or startch or powder.

Vaseline helps after the area is cleaned and dry to keep wetness off the area because the pee and poop irritate their little behinds when diapers are left on for too long…

Take flour and burn it by itself in a skillet till its brown… Use every diaper change,homenadr baby powder and 100% chemical free and helos dry out the skin

Cornstarch always works for my little one!

1 Like

I’ve had the same problems I use corn starch put on like powder. I believe you need to take him back to Doctor it sounds like he is allergic to the antibiotics. Can make it worse. Better safe than sorry. Praying for healing

There was 1 antibiotic that gave my son a very bad rash every time he was on it. The rash was actually a yeast infection. Sounds like that might be what’s going on. Get his pediatrician to look at it. He may need an anti fungal cream. If it is a yeast infection, regular diaper rash ointments won’t do a thing to help it.

Vaseline to create a barrier, which will stop the poo burning the skin

Probably a yeast infection. Get some nystatin.

1 Like

Assuming it’s just a skin irritation from a particularly harsh poop cycle, warm baths to clean and soak the bottom between poops. Plain Vaseline after or a&d. Nothing harsh to wipe off but will give a decent barrier. And feed the baby some bananas and plain yogurt (assuming there is no dairy issue). This will help reset their intestinal bacteria during and after antibiotics. At least that’s what worked for mine.

If it’s a yeast infection rash (looks very different from just normal diaper rash), read up on athletes foot lotion for diaper rash. I don’t remember the brand or active ingredient but it worked in about 2 days to clear a rash she had for a week from antibiotics.

If in doubt in any way, call the doctor.

It’s a yeast infection caused by the antibiotics and you can either take him to his Dr and get a script for an anti-fungal or go but some athletes for cream (which is the same thing) and use that. Destin does not work on these kinds of rashes. You need to let them air out as well since it’s moisture that makes it grow.

1 Like

Burtsbees distort rash cream works good it’s all natural

Antibiotic takes all bacteria from intestines give him yogurt which might help not have so much diahrea

Sounds like an allergic reaction.

my daughter’s pediatrician told us to do a layer of baby aquaphor, then a layer of desitin, followed by another layer of aquaphor . . . it always seemed to work for her! hope you find some relied for both baby and momma!

Let him soak in a bath, change his diaper more often, probiotics- they come as a powder you can dump in his milk or juice

Ask the doctor for a medicated diaper rash cream. My daughter had it happen and that was the only thing that helped clear it

Desitin mixed with corn starch make it a thick paste and keep a layer of it on the rash. Usually within a couple diaper changes it’s gone on my son

Go to your kitchen cupboard and get out the cornstarch. Works everytime, is gentle on their sore bum and its cheap to buy! Its all I ever used for my kids.

1 Like

There’s some type of skin barrier protectant , ask your doctor , calmoseptine, works miracles, u can find it over the counter in a pharmacy

Go an by some cloth diaper 's an lit him soak in water several times a day let him lay in the buff with sun lite an air too my granddaughter was that way that 's wath we had too do for her to get her well when she was a baby…

Triple paste is amazing. Its costly but well worth it!

A cream called metanium it’s in a yellow tube and yellow box , I swear by this stuff , two of my kids had bad nappy rash for ages and I always used this stuff as soon as it goes on it doesn’t come back off like other creams do and it only took a few hours to take the redness away and a few days to clear it all up defo invest in some of u can x

If diaper rash cream isn’t working it’s most likely a yeast infection. A lot of people get them while on antibiotics.

Boudreaux’s butt paste

Old fashion treatment that works in the time it take to laugh.1 bucket bath water add2teaspoons of Bicard soda put in bath 2 seconds you will have a happy baby laughing when take out of water put vasaline on all bottom don’t miss any part repeat when needed sure cure

1 Like

Cornstarch and triple paste have been life changing for my my super sensitive skinned kiddo

Sudocream works wonders and is extremely popular :ok_hand:t4:

Try Bag Balm it will protect and moisturize while it heals. It truly work. Its in a green square can in moisturize section at Walgreens

1 Like

Are you sure it’s diaper rash and not a yeast infection…yes boys can get yeast infection…
Take him to Dr and get checked out…if it is diaper rash or infection he can prescribe proper medication…keep dry as possible in the meantime…make sure any urine or fecal matter is changed and clean promptly…