My son said some things about school on snapchat and got in trouble at school: Thoughts?

I got a call from my teenage son’s school saying that the teacher was shown a screenshot of his Snapchat saying “Dear School, F you and especially Mrs. …” She was very upset on the phone and said that he’d be seeing the principal and may get ISS. I told her that although it was offensive and disrespectful, it wasn’t directed to her, she would have never seen it unless she was shown, and it wasn’t posted while he was at school. She said it was serious because it involved the school and “we take threats and anything like that seriously.” I replied, but it wasn’t a threat. He’s definitely in trouble at home because he shouldn’t be disrespectful of adults and authority figures. But how can they punish him at school for using free speech on his personal Snapchat that the teacher should never have seen?

69 Likes

where’s the threat? I’d ask them in the office in person to circle where the “threat” is. If they can’t find the “threat” it isn’t a threat, it’s an opinion….and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Tell them you will be happy to have your lawyer come in and speak with them if they have any questions. End of story. If they persist, call a lawyer and do just that

12 Likes

It depends if that is all he said. FU maybe not but I’m gonna FU up would be a threat

5 Likes

Maybe he needs to see a counselor or therapist.

6 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

Smh yet they allow kids to be bullied every single day til the kid kills themselves. But God forbid a kid say fu to the school lol

15 Likes

If its threating or being disrespect ti a teacher, teach your son better…

12 Likes

I totally agree with you. Not their business and they shouldn’t be getting involved. Actually shouldn’t have even called you about it, imo. I’d get in contact with the principal and let him/her know exactly how you feel about it. I understand a lot of parents protect their children from discipline at school, making it difficult for teachers and staff, but I’d not consider this case one of them. Unless they can produce an actual threat, stand up for him and let them know they’ve crossed the line. Inappropriate? Maybe. But he’s a kid and allowed to express his feelings. Especially if he’s not threatened anyone, simply stating he’s unhappy with school and a particular teacher. Smh…

9 Likes

Jobs can use social media to fire/hire you. It’s the same thing. :woman_facepalming:I’d monitor his social media.:woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

You’re absolutely crazy to think he shouldnt be in trouble in school…its very disrespectful even tho it was indirect.

17 Likes

The same way that if I said “f my boss” on my Snapchat then I’m setting myself up to be fired. I would let him be punished so he learns to watch what he says on social media

20 Likes

Depends on exact verbiage and schools rules that we agree to every year…some schools have rules against this even if out of school and saying a persons name like that can lead to charges.

An in school suspension isn’t that harsh. Let it happen and maybe he’ll think twice before doing it again.

11 Likes

They shouldn’t, if it didn’t happen at school or on school property and there is no threat, they technically can’t do anything.

1 Like

Why are you defending your kids disrespect behavior? Why do you allow him to speak the way he was? He definitely isn’t mature enough for social media so start by taking it all away. And then let the school punish him how they feel is appropriate and BACK THEM UP! Stop coddling your child or you will be bailing them out of jail one day.

23 Likes

If it was his boss he said this about and the boss heard about it, would you expect him to get in trouble at work? This is a good lesson in what you put on the internet can have real world consequences.

13 Likes

Maybe it’s like with jobs. What you do or say on social media can get you in trouble. Idk what the rules are regulations are regarding these types of things these days.

2 Likes

Schools hardly do anything when a kid is bullied at the school but the second they give their opinion on a teacher or staff member they lose it! I’m glad the discipline will be there at home because it is disrespectful but the school has no right to discipline your child in that situation!

4 Likes

I don’t think it was threatening at all and the kid was venting. What a ducked up world we live in

4 Likes

Times are different. Don’t post things nothing, nothing. People know there are consequences for your post. School, job whatever

3 Likes

Same way adults get in trouble for it. Social media is a beast.

4 Likes

We lost all freedoms along time ago! Everything we say or do is judged, offensive, a threat, and used against us. We no longer have a personal life and freedom to as well choose with it. I mean god for bid we shower and get dressed in our bedrooms instead of the bathroom…

2 Likes

Maybe the school should evaluate why your kids feels this way, I posted shit like this on fb when I was in junior high because I was relentlessly bullied and the school didnt help me at all, in fact they threatened to suspend me, so there could be a deeper issue, my teachers bullied me and treated me so unfairly compared to other students. I was a loud mouth, or rude, or disrespectful, I never had a phone in class, I tried my honest best on my assignments, they just bullied me to be bullies, so check into that, my mom would say, if the principal doesnt help, go to the SI if they dont help go to the superintendent of superintendents. Thats what she had to do to get them to stop. Help your kid out in that way, dont let the school system bully you into writing it off by saying its all his fault, cause here I am 10 yeard later suffering from PTSD and majorly hesitant of sending my babes to public school.

It’s taken serious bc kids are shooting up schools. That’s why. Like come on. Ur more mad the school reacted then u are at ur kid. This is how threats start.

12 Likes

You’re kid was disrespectful why are you defending him?

14 Likes

Definitely none of the school’s business! I’m more concerned about she figured out. Is there a student Snapchatting their teacher? Definitely not appropriate.

3 Likes

They’ll punish this but I guarantee you that if it was a bully, in the same manner against a student. They wouldnt do shit cause it wasnt posted during school

I believe he should get in trouble but if that is what it said then there was no threat. They need to reword the discipline to not include threat.

1 Like

Honestly every teenager in high school has those days where they dont get along with a teacher and say “fuck school blah blah blah” although it is disrespectful to call a teacher out like that and I do think at home punishment should be a thing(maybe extra chores or something small?) I don’t feel like he should get ISS for something literally every student says every day of being in high school. No one likes high school or misses it until they’re out of school completely. The biggest thing I would do though is sit down and talk with him about it. Colleges and even work places will be checking social media and its one thing to say these things but if he posts this stuff online somewhere other than snapchat he may have trouble with both.

Defeninding your child is never okay. (WHEN THEY ARE IN THE WRONG)Sounds like he did something wrong. Somebody was concerned and they told an adult. So the right thing to do.
But you’re okay with that type of behavior even if he wouldn’t of gotten caught?
Good luck when you’re trying to save him from jail or prison and watching his court case. :100:

16 Likes

I used to tell the teachers to get fucked all the time. Lol. I think they’ve turned into wet blankets.

Nah fuck that. My kid would definitely be in trouble at home, but the school has zero grounds to punish.

We live in a day and age where even minor threats need to be taken seriously. How would you feel if another child had posted something similar in regards to your child? Would you not want to have it addressed? Would you not have any concern that your child maybe at risk while at school? Would you not address it with the school staff so that they were aware? How would you feel if another student did something similar, and did do something at school that put your child at risk or injured them? Would your attitude be the same that it was really not an issue or would you be upset that the school didn’t take it seriously?

4 Likes

Perhaps have him do some extra studying as to what the 1st Amendment actually protects. If he believes he can say things on public social media and then hide behind “I was using freedom of speech” to not be held accountable, he needs to do some research. Yes, the school is well within their guidelines to punish him for what he said.

6 Likes

She shouldn’t have seen, maybe, but she did. Someone at the school obviously has more respect for their teachers (who dedicate their lives to ensure your child has an education), than your son does. & while it wasn’t a threat, what your son did is called cyber bullying. Yes, bullying. I get mad when people talk sh*t about me online too, it’s rude and disrespectful.

15 Likes

again, respect is earned. Kids won’t respect that which isn’t respectful. Being an adult or an agency does not command respect.

9 Likes

If you do it on the job, you can be fired. So what’s the difference.

5 Likes

No different then a letter being found at school with those words on them. Media can be taken anywhere.
It doesmt matter where you stood while doing it.

4 Likes

Instead of punishing a child for how they feel, maybe it would be better to show concern for the behavior, sit the child down and find out what’s going on… by punishing them for how they feel tells them you don’t care about their feelings, their feelings aren’t important. There could be a reason that he posted what he did.

30 Likes

Yeah it’s not the nicest thing to say but I feel he’s entitled to his opinion and he was having a private conversation with someone. He didn’t scream it at the school or teachers.
I pick and chose my battles. I don’t care if my children swear. If it’s in our home and they are speaking to me about their day and they say a word, so be it.
Sometimes it’s a stress reliever just to vent.

7 Likes

Yes … it was directed at her .

2 Likes

I feel like you’re trying to get him out of trouble that he caused. He’s being disrespectful, that should have consequences.

5 Likes

U fight that! He had rights. She probably is a straight up bitch!

When you put something on social media for the world to see it’s not a matter of “ it’s his personal snap chat/ she wouldn’t have seen it unless it was shown to her.” Use this as a lesson for your son, you can say whatever you want online but there are always consequences.

3 Likes

Free speech doesn’t mean free from consequences :woman_shrugging:t2: Ya live & ya learn

5 Likes

The fact that you’re sticking up for your son on a very important matter regarding “character” is crazy! Would it be any different if the teacher had said “F your son” on her personal social media account? That’s great that he’s being punished at home but this teaches him that his actions have consequences other than home. Be a parent and teach your son to have integrity and be accountable for his actions.

15 Likes

Reasons my kids aren’t allowed social media.
Besides not being old enough to understand it, there’s this stupid ass shit.
Social media was never intended for kids. Period.
This trend of allowing children to have adult things has got to stop somewhere.

Better he learn now that the internet is forever, nothing is private, and actions have consequences. I’d let the punishment stand, and hand out my own punishment at home.

6 Likes

Maybe teach your kid not to post disrespectful shit on social media. If he wants to vent about a teacher do it in private.

If he did this in the working world and his employer saw it, he’d lose his job. So let this be a lesson that you can’t say whatever you want on social media and expect there not to be consequences from the person you posted about when they hear it.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences. Aggressive words like that, while maybe not directly threatening, can progress into worse. It sounds like the school is trying to make a point to discourage further badmouthing.
Also I’d look into who was watching his videos and might have sent that to the school, is his stuff available publically?

7 Likes

Let your kid get in trouble. Don’t bail him out maybe talk them down to detention not ISS but I would allow him to be punished both at home and in school. Disrespect is unacceptable lay that foundation.

2 Likes

Here’s a lesson for your son: once you put something into the cloud; you lose control of it. Why shouldn’t she have seen it? It is out in the open. Once it leaves his hand it can go anywhere. He was a disrespectful little shit and he should be punished by both the school and you. You should not be defending him in ANY fashion. What he did was wrong. And now he should have to suffer the consequences of his actions so he learns that is not how you behave.

If it’s on the internet, it’s pretty much public. His statement can be taken as a threat be against the school and the teacher. He may not have meant it that way, but he shouldn’t have put it in writing. Think it, but don’t write it or verbalize it.

3 Likes

Consequences for actions

The punishment should be up to the parents not the school.

2 Likes

Hopefully it will be a lesson learned… if you don’t have anything nice to say, shut your mouth.

3 Likes

As a teacher, students show me stuff all the time. It doesn’t bother me. If there was no direct threat to the teacher or the school, or during school time, then a consequence at school would be difficult to uphold. I don’t know what it was, so I couldn’t say. Also, a threat is how a person perceives it, maybe that teacher felt another teacher would be harmed. But his actions and words have consequences.

1 Like

If you were behind her at the grocery store and heard her say “F your son’s name” then turn around and say you werent supposed to hear that, how would you feel?

7 Likes

All of these adults condemning this kid have probably posted and ‘F u’ to their bosses at one time or another…

Kids and parents are going to have to figure it out… putting it on their snapchat is like saying it to her face…duh???
We live in such a different world than I grew up in 70 years ago…

1 Like

That’s ridiculous :confused: consequence for sure, Ivan day what I say but that doesn’t mean u won’t get in trouble. kids do say F their school and teacher all the time. Its necessarily a threat to say F you when not directly to the person. I’d want to talk to the principal right away. I’m light of the school violence that has occurred I’m sure they are trying to deflate what they perceive to be a potential issue

1 Like

I posted sooooo much about my high school. Especially after being told to pump in the bathroom🤦‍♀️not once was anything said to me about it other then getting a room only myself and a female coach had a key to.

Your district probably has a internet/social media piece in their handbook. This outlines that anything done online pertaining to the school can result in a consequence. I’d look there first.

2 Likes

Not saying he should get in trouble but… Wheres the threat? Disrespect yes but no threat…

1 Like

Wouldn’t punish him. I talk shit about my school all the time when I was kid. It’s normal. He didn’t threat anyone.

Plus what if something going on at school to make him feel that way, why ain’t no one asking that? I hated school because the teachers didn’t care.

I would absolutely defend my kid here if they are saying what is said is threatening, it’s not. Sometimes teachers and schools deserve a big F U. If they have a written policy they can show you, that you signed, then I’d talk to him about that and make him take the punishment. Also, him being in trouble at home is good but honestly, who hasn’t said F this job before. I would take the time to explain to him that EVERYONE feels like that at times but there are consequences when you say it to the wrong person, or post it on social media.

4 Likes

Hmm maybe he needs to be mindful of what he posts. People have lost jobs posting things on social media, consider it a lesson learnt

7 Likes

Fuck the school and deal with your child how you see fit. Obviously there is something more to his hate toward her so id see whats up with that too

Some of these comments are ridiculous🤦 He did it on his personal time and on his personal social media. He didnt threaten anyone or anything. What he do? Hurt her feelings? Wah. He’s being punished at home AS HE SHOULD BE but the school needs to relax. Maybe the teacher is a real dick🤷 Dont listen to some of these people, just bc he says f that school doesn’t mean he’ll end up in jail!

10 Likes

Definitely wrong but as she said it’s being handled at home. Morally wrong. But there was no threat made and wasn’t taken at school. Yes the student is legally protected from punishment by school (to the best of my knowledge). Glad you’re correcting it at home , so to say to some commenters shes not letting the child behavior go unpunished.

When you put something on social media, the platform owns it. She wasn’t supposed to see it??? That’s just dumb and so are you. It’s public property now. God, someone teach you how to internet!

1 Like

If nothing else it’s probably some kind of disoderly conduct for cussing in public ,

To the ones comparing this to an adults job - wtf is wrong with you? Not even close to being the same. Go find something else to be completely wrong about or just stop!!

1 Like

Free speech doesn’t mean free from the consequences of what was said, or in this case Snapped.
Would you feel the same way if the teacher had a Snapchat saying ‘F your son’? Because I guarantee she wouldn’t have wanted him or you to see that. She’s still get fined or fired, lose her teaching license, etc… but you’re “dealing with it at home”
Oh please :unamused:
Sorry but the internet is a hard lesson to learn and it’s forever.
Do the rest of society a favor and let the school hand out a punishment they see as fair, and you do the same at home.

16 Likes

Your child is wrong. Time to be his parent, not his friend.

6 Likes

But if that teacher posted on social media Fuck your son…would you expect her to be punished at work or would you say well its her personal time and personal social media so no big deal.

Freedom is speech comes with consequences.

7 Likes

He’s speaking his mind honestly and freedom of speech… I could understand if he did this while at school and they had proof of it, but… I also agree it was disrespectful and there is prob something in the student handbook. I would check school policy before anything.

2 Likes

I’d say fight it. He should be punished for expressing feelings. He didn’t threaten anything

2 Likes

I dont think they can

This is a good lesson that social media can have negative and very real consequences.

12 Likes

Don’t put that out there then no one can rat you out.

2 Likes

Yea I’d tell them to mind their own business if it wasnt done on school grounds or on school time, hes a kid, kids do and say dumb shit

Free speech does not save someone from the consequences of their words. I’m with the school on this one.
Similar to if you slander your workplace on your own personal page while not at work, or slander someone totally unrelated while in your uniform off the clock, you can receive punishment.

11 Likes

Do you think you would still have a job if you wrote about your boss on snap chat.

3 Likes

If he said it about another student they woulsnt bat an eye but a teacher that was ment to be private hmm my daughter does that about how she doesnt like a certain teacher i think the school is going over board

I think you handled it well and I agree… theres probably not much you can do tho tbh

1 Like

F school is one thing, f-ing a teacher by name leaves him open to disciplinary action. He should learn to post things anonymously like his mother. :neutral_face:

18 Likes

Apparently she done something to him to make him feel that way! He expressed his feeling about her unfortunately his feeling are negative. Had he said I love this school and Mrs??? Nothing would come about it. The school has no right here. What he does when he leaves is his dang business. I’ve felt and said the very same when I was a kid in school.

3 Likes

Snowflakes :snowflake: they shouldn’t discipline him for things he didn’t do in school that’s up to the parents.

3 Likes

Fuck that school an teacher do I get iss to

Needs to learn Mama can’t save his butt. Problem with society, no accountability. It won’t be the end of his world. The punishment could be much worse!

4 Likes

The thing about free speech is that you may have freedom of speech, you do not have freedom of the consequences.

4 Likes

And this is why all this younger generations are disrespectful brats. Their parts allow them to disrespect

6 Likes

Maybe teach the lil shit to be more respectful of adults.

Nothing is free speech if it’s posted on the internet. It doesn’t have to be a direct threat if the person or people feel threatened then not only can they get in trouble but they can be charged criminally.

2 Likes

I know one thing… as he should not have “vented his feelings” as we all do OFTEN… maybe in a different way… I’m 100% positive everyone has said some crappy things about something and or someone in their lives… (if you haven’t, mmmmK) whatever…
My point is he should definitely make his social circle smaller… the individual who showed the teacher is not someone I would have in my circle :100: :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
Kids and adults express themselves BETTER behind social media than being able to confront or communicate face to face because behind social media and not face to face… they can delete or ignore rather than be forced to actually face the actual issue at hand. It was not a threat…didn’t say anything about doing anything to anyone.
Mean words but no threat.
Kids get frustrated as well… it’s all about teaching them who what when where and why… appropriateness…

The same reason you can get fired at work for posting crap. Stop teaching kids they are entitled.

8 Likes

It.could.be worse ok he was disrespectful perhaps.but what did the teacher do make upset.enough to say fuck school.and the teacher but that isnt a threat

Also you should be watching what he’s posting on the internet better. He clearly isn’t mature enough to handle having access to it.

1 Like