My son said some things about school on snapchat and got in trouble at school: Thoughts?

Social media is admissable in court. It’s the same as standing on a street corner and voicing your opinions. Free speech is a slippery slope and not exempt from consequences. The fact he called her out by name is the same as saying it to her face. Hopefully he learns his lesson that if you have an issue go to the source or ask for help but don’t blindly rant on any social platform.

He didn’t make a threat. I would get a lawyer as this will be on his permanent record. I think he needs a good lecture on what is okay to post and maybe right a letter of apology to the teacher. But an ISS seems a bit much.

2 Likes

“wasn’t directed at her” but literally had her name…

5 Likes

Actions = Consequences
In this day and time there are so many threats and actions against school I would not be against ISS he will be counted in school and can follow through with work at school or you could sit down with teacher and principal come up with a discipline plan that they would agree with. My son is a Sheriffs deputy sadly in today’s world everything is taken seriously . It has to be I would rather my son learn a lesson now than later in life .

4 Likes

I don’t see it as disrespectful or threatening. It’s his opinion in which he is entitled to have. I’m sure If you checked every teacher at his school social media accounts you’ll find at least one that says something similar about the students lol
My sister in law is a teacher kids are assholes. But my kids are in school and teachers can be ass holes. I’ve been to the school board twice this year already for a teacher bullying my son. There is no mutual respect going on between teachers and students anymore. That’s just facts. I’m not the type of parent that thinks their kids are perfect. I’m also not the type that punishes my kids for expressing their own opinions. I wouldn’t sit back and let anyone punish my kid for stating his opinion on his personal accounts or accuse him of making threatening statements when he simply says fuck the school and teacher. we’ve all felt that way. Punish him at home if you choose to but it isn’t the schools business to do anything as far as this goes

Your son & you have learned a hard lesson. Anything negative that involves a school district is serious. There are too many instances of personal injury to look the other way.
It may not seem fair, but being held accountable is the right thing for your son.

5 Likes

They can’t. My high school tried thaf shit with me too, my mom straight up told them I wasn’t sitting in ISS, detention or anything and that they could go fuck themselves.:woman_shrugging:t3:

For those of you saying it was private:

The offending posts were made in a private chat. How lucky for this young man that he’s just facing ISS.

Life lesson, make him be accountable for his actions.

1 Like

Just because you have free speech doesn’t mean you won’t get in trouble??? Free speech does not equal zero consequences for said speech.

8 Likes

I got a call from the principal because there were girls sending nude pics to one of my sons friends and he was sending them around. And because my son was in the friend group they wanted to discipline him as well. I try to keep an eye on his snap but it’s hard and things automatically disappear but girls shouldn’t be sending nudes

1 Like

I’d let him take his lumps at school and home, he won’t learn his lesson if you keep running to his rescue, maybe that’s part of the problem. He should have enough respect for you not to post shizna like that in the first place :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s ISS, I’ve been in ISS and it won’t hurt anything but his feelings. He made a poor choice to talk disrespectfully on a public forum rather than to address his problems with the school and the specific teacher. Maybe he will choose to have more forethought in the future, but not likely as you are justifying his mistake online.

5 Likes

Teach your child now that anything sent from his phone can NEVER be deleted.
My daughter learned the hard way… iss also.
And I’m glad. I felt like that was an appropriate consequence

2 Likes

Freedom of speech… Sometimes some things are better left unsaid… An b n disrespectful isnt freedom of speech…its just
down right rude or mean !!!

Are you serious? ‘Dear School, F you and especially Mrs …….’ This is for everyone to see Mom. Shows anger for the school and the teacher. I would be upset if I were a teacher. Principle, you, teacher and your son need a meeting. Take away the device that he used. If he is angry have him talk to you about it. You can understand better why if he does. You can then talk with the school about it. You can take it from there. Or give alternative advice on what he might do in the future. Maybe change teachers? I have had to twice.

1 Like

And just like that, once a boy shows frustration (so emotion) he gets in trouble and punished. Seems like that toxic masculinity is in schools as well

1 Like

LMAO schools have their worries ass backwards :rofl:

Stop making excuses for the kid!!! What he did was disrespectful, their needs to be consequences at home and at school as well. Parents we need to do better by our kids, STOP raising disrespectful children

6 Likes

I would check ur schools policies around social media/internet there is usually a piece on it. Same with a lot of jobs. If I posted anything like that about my job or my boss I would be up for disciplinary action resulting most likely in dismissal. :woman_shrugging: I would tho defending him on regard to it being threatening. No threat was made just an insult.

1 Like

F her!!! She needs to grow up and keep snapchat out her life… it wasn’t school time nor to her snapchat.

5 Likes

Don’t defend him take the punishment and move on. He needs to learn this is not acceptable behavior.

2 Likes

He dissed her and school. He is guilty don’t defend that

1 Like

Use it as a life lesson. Actions have consequences. He was wrong. Should never had said what he did. If he did the same as an adult towards an employer, he would be fired.

1 Like

He didn’t threaten anyone. At worst this is detention, not in school suspension (which remains on his record).

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if the teacher put "F- Bobby Johnson " or whatever your kid’s name is as a Facebook status?? Bet you would be up that school so fast…

5 Likes

Freedom of speech does not mean you are free from the consequences of your speech.

6 Likes

Everyone is saying the correct things, but you’re forgetting how we are with our babies. Many here are lecturing this woman when clearly she doesn’t condone it. Our children are never 100% perfect angels. If you say yours is, you’re lying. Have some compassion for her.

Either or, if they said there were threats there, that’s not threatening. Its messed up to say, but definitely not threatening. I am questioning how she got wind of it.

2 Likes

I’d completely side with my son here on how he feels, we’re all human, he’s a child so they can’t really regulate their emotions as well as us… BUT definitely a decent chat about putting things from his head down on paper (or the Internet!) very silly thing to do. Don’t think the school need to do anything apart from be ensured that it’s deleted and not repeated.

2 Likes

Just because it wasn’t sent to her doesn’t mean it wasn’t directed at her. He clearly deserves to be disciplined in school and at home.

1 Like

Three boys that my daughter went to school with made a video and sent it to her, not during school hours either, but told my daughter to ‘Go Kill Herself’ in the video. They did refer to the school Guidance Counselor though in the video jokingly telling my daughter to, ‘ Don’t go tell Mrs. Freeman now.’ They knew she would I guess because she was being harassed by them at school as well. Longer story there. Anyway, we could have pressed charges. We did inform the school and talked to the Principal and the school police officer. It was clearly a chargeable offense. They were in 8th grade, however. Regardless of age, they would then have a criminal charge on their record. The school’s punishment ended up being a few days of OSS and they couldn’t continue playing their sport activity the remaining of the school year and were removed from the Beta Club. Sweet, private school boys too which included the Bible teachers own son. We decided ultimately to not press charges because they were very young and my daughter begged us not to.

Long story short, ISS is not that bad. Your son wasn’t Expelled and wasn’t given OSS. Kids need to learn that you can’t post whatever you think or feel at any given moment on social media. It will come back to haunt you.

4 Likes

But, where was the threat???
He said F you… not I’m gonna kill you or or shoot up the school. Cause those are serious threats. Not telling a teacher off.
And I’m sorry but, some adults don’t even deserve respect when they alone disrespect children and put them down. Respect goes both ways. I wouldn’t expect my kid to respect someone who doesn’t treat him or her with respect, as I myself would have zero respect for them.

5 Likes

I am so happy to share this wonderful testimony thank you Dr Madini for the help you redeem to me I will be forever grateful now my ex lover is back to me and everything’s alright if you are passing through relationship or marriage problem email Dr Madini via spiritualmadiniopa@gmail. com reach him on whatsapp or call +2349026948490 Dr Madini love spell will help you in your relationship or marriage

3 Likes

It tells you who screenshots on Snapchat… After sorting your kid out, you should have a little word with the snitch who showed her… Snitches get stitches an all that!! :rofl: But either way your kid was being a brat and having no respect. Phone would be gone and a big letter of apology for the teacher! Let him face the consequences of his actions

1 Like

Sorry but regardless whether it was at home or school if the schools name and a teachers name are in something posted the child will be punished for it! My son did something similar and was punished for it! I backed the school bc regardless it was a bad day or a bad teacher MY son will NOT disrespect any adult! No I don’t let any adult disrespect my children and my children shouldn’t disrespect any adult!

12 Likes

I agree find out what is up

Maybe you should teach your kid that posting to social media is a horrible idea… what he said was inappropriate and uncalled for… with what’s been going on the past few decades obviously this would be taken seriously… sure back in the day we hated our school but we didnt post it to social media

2 Likes

The school might have a social media policy that you may have agreed to or your child at the beginning of the year, yes I found this out the hard way

Omg are teachers really gonna be that sensitive about it? Like they arent in the teachers lounge sayin “fuck those little bastards” every time a kid acts up? :joy: that is his PERSONAL snapchat and it was not said at school or directly to her, and its not even a threat its an expression that I’m sure plenty of has used before. C’mon now. I wouldn’t punish him too hard, what kid doesnt hate school? Or a specific teacher? Its normal. Chap his ass for dropping the f bomb and laugh about it later.

How old is the kid? Maybe just teach him to respect people and thus would have never happened.

3 Likes

Most teens do hate school and their teachers. I’d be telling the school to harden up and instead of punishing a child for their feelings, try to connect with the kids and make learning something they want to do!

Who knows, maybe this teacher is a horrible person, a bully etc.

5 Likes

If he got the threat line then I guarantee he said more

Plus how he feel that comfortable saying stuff like that? Nahhh mine would,and have,had butts torn up for that. I don’t play disrespect

Make sure you see what he posted,and if it wasn’t a threat them f them

1 Like

Sorry but he has to learn consequences to his actions, people have been fired or denied a job because of what they post on social media, because yes it is used against you even as an adult, so it’s best he starts learning now.

4 Likes

Nope. They’re wrong. Stand by his rights to feel what he wants. As long as the rest you say is real. Nope them out.

5 Likes

Does he have a right to express himself outside of school? Yes. But do the right thing… he should absolutely be punished. Be strict now or you will be visiting him behind bars later.

3 Likes

What he did is rude and disrespectful and he should apologize and should be punished as you see fit…

But why is it that if a child steals something from another student at school the school cant do anything about it and if children are bullied at school & only so much can be done but in your case it didnt happen at school but the school can punish. I hate that scjools get to pick and choose when the can and cant step in at their convenience.

4 Likes

He was blowing off steam. You know your kid. Yes, he should have some kind of punishment but no not from the school. It wasn’t done at school or posted to a school site. I understand their concern but this is something I think a parent should handle and talk to their child about, maybe have a meeting with the teacher so he can apologize but not suspended or anything.

5 Likes

We had a situation similar. My sister had a picture taken of her while she was using a vape, and it was posted on snapchat. Someone showed the principal of our school, and a few other snapchats of other kids drinking, and she was almost suspended for it. My mom was FURIOUS. It had nothing to do with the school, but she still had detentions for it. We still arent sure who showed them or why but it was stupid.

1 Like

Seriously you don’t think this is a big deal? I’d smash the shit out of my kid’s phone if she did that. I don’t know, maybe you’re a good mom. It’s hard to tell because of your response. He could be an idiot which is more likely. Have you ever told him whatever he posts on the net is out there forever? Especially since his “friends” show no loyalty to him and reported his post to the school. Sigh…what a dumb ass.

I’d have a chat with him about using social media like that because stuff can get back to people but then I’d let it be known I’m taking him to get ice cream and Mrs _____ can indeed go fuck herself. :joy::joy::joy:

They can’t handle online bullying but they can give a teenager I.S.S. for saying Fuck Mrs.Smith?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: ridiculous ass schools.

I would read over your school policy and see what it says in there. It usually explains how they go about this stuff now

2 Likes

Yeahhhhh, fuck her and her punishment. I’d punish him myself and that’s it. That’s out of their jurisdiction. It’s not her place or within her scope of authority to punish him for this.

I agree with what you’re saying and all and I definitely do defend my daughter to the fullest when necessary and to whoever but with that being said, you’re not talking about real suspension or expulsion here hun… It’s ISS. Your son was disrespectful for sure and you already said he’s in trouble with y’all as well so I feel like trying to fight the school’s punishment is just showing your son he doesn’t have consequences for his actions. Defending our kids is something we do when needed, not just for every tiny situation or anything we don’t like🤷‍♀️ What he did was disrespectful and with everything going on these days these schools have to be super careful so I see their side too.

3 Likes

Are you kidding??? Wow! What a total lack of respect and the fact that you are minimizing it is shameful and only reinforcing his disrespect! What if the teacher posted something on her personal FB page regarding your child???

3 Likes

She’s probably a bitch and these schools are full of shit! The moment she disrespected/offends your child it would be beyond their control. He didn’t say that for no reason and I’m pretty sure other kids feel the same way. Blow that shit off

Most schools with student handbooks make students and parents sign saying they understand the rules… a lot of people just skim but there are parts that prohibit certain things and behaviors even when off school grounds and they can be punished at school if caught…

2 Likes

If it didn’t happen at school, the punishment should come from the parents

TEACH YOUR KID ABOUT THE AFFECTS OF SOCIAL MEDIA… and how to use it responsibily. This parent is part of the problem!

4 Likes

You are condoning bad behavior. If he would have posted that toward you, his parent, would that be acceptable as well? If that would be my kid, he’d get jacked and serve the ISS no matter what. That’s what a major part of the problem is now in society- parents allowing their kids to be disrespectful. Teachers and schools then have to put up with it. The vulgarity alone speaks volumes. Then society is turning out kids who turn into adults who continue to justify outright bad behavior which leads to worse.

7 Likes

Whoa you’re both quick to punish him. I’d be sitting my child down & asking him why he said it. This really sounds like she’s treating him poorly & he’s taking it onto the only outlet he has where others would care, listen to him. As an educator she should’ve taken him away from the students & talked to him. As a parent I would do the same. Children are allowed to have feelings. Expressing them isn’t wrong. He should’ve done it another way but has he been taught or feels comfortable? Kids can feel alone in their feelings. Parents see anything negative as disrespectful, the person offending them is in control. I’d be standing up for my child & telling that teacher my child has the right to feel that way & if she was a decent teacher she’d be figuring out why. Not looking for reasons to punish him.

7 Likes

I would read the school policies to find out information and if it say nothing about outside school or personal account then I would be talking to the principle about it and also I believe the school can only do something if the child is in uniform

2 Likes

Actions have consequences. Welcome to the world. You know it was wrong. Deal with it.

4 Likes

Yah, they shouldn’t be. Unless he is actually threatening to hurt people. It isn’t their place

3 Likes

For saying eff you? I’d tear that “teacher” to shreds with a smile.

5 Likes

Maybe monitor what your kid does over social media?

7 Likes

Your kid was disrespectful and rude. If that type of behavior is ok in your home then this will only be the tip of the iceberg. He should be made to apologize. To many kids get away with being disrespectful and rude and it’s your job to let him know there are consequences to his actions. Then follow through. Or you can ignore it and when he gets out of control and starts telling you to f often maybe you will wish you corrected when it first started.

8 Likes

He was venting…lol…I used to tell teachers fuck you to their face…lmao…I think it’s bad but I’m just saying…they can’t punish him for talking trash about a teacher…

So jobs can’t fire you if you post something about the job publicly? I thought there were repercussions for that too :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

As a parent I wouldn’t condone behavior like this on social media. That’s a good reason why. Although the child is expressing his thoughts or feelings. Someone else will take it the wrong way and go one step further. When the child becomes an adult, makes a choice to Express thoughts or feelings like this on social media. Employers will be there to check those posts out. So, it’s best to teach the child now, to Express themselves in effective ways.

4 Likes

I mean, you ok if the teacher says the same about your child on her account? Bet she would be reprimanded.

11 Likes

You allow your child to be disrespectful to adults and authority figures in the community? If that were my child, he would be in trouble for calling a teacher a foul name too.

Step up and be a parent. Stop getting angry at the school, when they do the job you should be doing all this time. Otherwise, your child will be learning about God in prison.

7 Likes

Personally I would encourage the school to punish my child and my child would be punished at home as well. Oh well if I’m mean :woman_shrugging:t3: I will absolutely not tolerate disrespectful kids!

8 Likes

These teachers actually physically fear these high school students sometimes because of parents like you raising your kids to not take responsibility for their actions.

12 Likes

So it’s ok as long as they don’t see it?:joy: cone oooon. Let the school punish him! Teach him there is consequences in life!

4 Likes

She’s a bitch you are right just tell your son about boundaries with expressing his feelings like that just in case someone wants to get him trouble again

Chaotic Alchemy HATE MOM GROUPS how many time did I Bitch to you about dumbass teachers? All the damn time :joy:

1 Like

Back when I was in school I had a teacher pick on me all the time and I told her to go fuck herself one day and wanna know what happened? They gave me detention and I didn’t go cause my parents told me not to. They had told the school about her picking on me and they ignored it so it was only a matter of time before I snapped and cussed her out. The board of education got involved and said that I would be switching classes and I didnt get punished. Sometimes you need to say what’s on your mind sometimes

Imagine the tear this mother would be on and the repercussions that the teacher would face if she had posted “F so and so” on her private page on her own time …

1 Like

Have the punishment fit the crime! Perhaps a report on freedom of speech or using social media properly and being a respectful individual!

1 Like

He should be punished by you the parent NOT the school it was done out of school hours and no threat was posted

5 Likes

Nope… not ok. I don’t want my CHILD being a jackass. Period. Yes he has feelings… but guess what?!? He HAS to go to school… sorry not sorry. Let my kid say ‘fuck’ someone… a teacher none the less… he’s gonna be the one fucked. He’s gonna be loving his room. I encourage being open and honest… but there’s a difference between open and honest and being a nasty lil shit head of a kid. So nnnoooooo his ass would be grounded along with in school suspension… ooohhh and that teacher you don’t like and humiliated… she’s your new best friend.

To everyone saying he should be in trouble that like saying you have to censor every text message you send. Where is the freedom they are children struggling through restrictions on there individually, there presence in society at home at school in every way they are restricted. If the choose to say it privately instead of publicly you should be proud and grateful. I think you should explain that social.media has risks and anything you put on the internet can be used against including text messages and to make sire he knows if he ever did say it there would be consequebces but you are right this is free speech as long as he didnt threaten harm or injury to anyone he is aloud to think negatively. Parents who want to control everything breed damaged kids.

3 Likes

As a parent with a teen daughter that had to change schools BECAUSE of the faculty, if he felt the need to say something like that then there is probably something going on. I would fight it simply because teachers do tend to play victim when they provoke things sometimes. Just my 2 cents worth on the matter.

6 Likes

For saying eff you? I’d tear that “teacher” to shreds with a smile.

1 Like

If it didnt happen during school hours, there’s nothing they should do. Do they realize how many people say stuff like that? Come on. Their teens. School is like prison for some of them.

2 Likes

Ok honestly the school and the teacher is blowing it out of portion. He said FU to someone he didn’t like, something quite honestly I’m sure the teacher has done herself at some point in her life. The point I would make to him is to equate it to saying that to someone and them finding out. They have the right to be upset but that’s it. Punishment for not loving his school and teacher is asinine. I would be more upset that they are trying to say it’s a threat when it’s not. When again I’m sure when said teacher was in school there was a teacher she wanted to tell FU to and most likely said it to a friend, did she get in trouble no. Again doesn’t matter she wasn’t supposed to see it that’s like telling someone not to be upset when they are told someone said something about them and they find out. Being upset they found out isn’t right either. But trying to get the person in serious trouble for something it’s not isn’t cool either and for the adult in the situation shows how petty she is.

2 Likes

Simply put they can’t.

My school tried to do that. Tons of kids badmouthed the school online because it’s so bad there.

Good for you having his back with the teacher. I agree with you and like the way you went about it. I like you :grin:

Remind your children what they post on the internet will be there forever.

7 Likes

At this point I’d probably tell the cry baby f you too. That’s not a threat. While NOT okay it’s his own Snapchat and wasn’t done at school. Saying f you isn’t a threat. Iss is bs. Literally does nothing lol.

2 Likes

While what he did was not the best choice and if you choose to discipline him that is a family matter. He did not threaten anyone. He made a comment that may not have been nice but was not a threat. I would fight that. While I know school and teacher threats are very serious, children and adults still have to be able to have opinions and free speech. I mean some of this pc stuff is getting out of hand. No one is aloud to not like someone or something, we are expected to all be this cookie cutter country.

2 Likes

Teach your kid a valuable lesson here on what social media is and how our words on there effect real lives… I would stand up for your kid as far as the whole threatening the school thing

2 Likes

Not just limiting free speach but his right to have an opinions. If it didn’t have anything about something that can be a threat to school or teachers, they can’t do anything or they can get sued.

1 Like

Well, why does he hate her? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My stepson did exactly this stuff. The school reprimanded him for it and he was eventually expelled. He is almost 17 with no future ahead of him because he figured out if he kept screwing up they would just expel him. He absolutely won’t go to school. That being said; his excuses were everyone was mean to him but he would never take responsibility for his actions. Your son may have screwed up and it’s fair to say the school can reprimand him. But you need to get to the bottom of why he posted it. I already know the answer you will get “I don’t know” let’s hope for your sake and the future of your sons education that he was just being a little shit

they cant… he wasnt on school grounds he did not make a threat against the school nothing they can do if they try they are infringing on his rights

1 Like