My sons teacher refuses to help him wipe: Is that normal?

Your child needs to be fully potty trained by 4 to be in a mainstream classroom, that includes wiping. In classrooms where the children have Developmental delays and need help toileting they have aids to help facilitate. A teacher in a classroom full of 4 year olds does not have time to wipe individual butts. It’s your job to teach him personal hygiene, not the teachers.

10 Likes

It’s not a teachers job to help your child wipe their butt, that’s something they should learn before they’re in school, it’s not daycare

2 Likes

I know law here says she can’t unless she has the proper license and that’s typically just for the aids in the special Ed classes that are allowed to do thaf

Condition of admission to pre-k is they must completely potty trained. Get over it.

6 Likes

No it is not up to them to do that and usually is against the rules. Just continue to teach your kid, potty training is on the parents not teachers. Plus they don’t get paid enough to wipes butts lol.

2 Likes

We made sure our 4 year old could wipe her own butt before we sent her to Pre-K this year. It is not the teachers job .

2 Likes

Where I live, the kids have to be fully potty trained before they can go to school!

2 Likes

I would rather a teacher not see my kids private parts, that’s not their job ! Deal with it when they get home or teach them how to wipe their butt!

1 Like

they can’t at our school. they are not allowed at all to go into the stalls with the students.

2 Likes

Most day cares stop at 3. Schools don’t at all. They are there to teach not potty train.

2 Likes

Omg no that’s not their job to teach your son to wipe appropriately

3 Likes

No, it’s not normal for a pre k teacher to wipe a kids but. Its not to be expected and is not part of the job. For pre K your child is required to be fully independent bathroom wise. Its been this eay for yrs and yrs. Just asking, what made you assume it was different? Many will let you send flushable wipes though. FYI

1 Like

No. It’s not normal for a teacher to wipe a kids butt. If your kid isn’t properly potty trained they shouldn’t be in school.

Most preschools are not licensed as a daycare which means they are legally not allowed to help wipe.

1 Like

They are not allowed. Your child is old enough to wipe. Teach him !!!

4 Likes

Sorry but that’s not their job!! They aren’t allowed to do that. Maybe work on helping him get use to doing it himself!

3 Likes

Teachers don’t do it.

I don’t think they are allowed or required to do it. When my daughter was in nursery school for the 3 year old program the teacher mentioned she can’t legally do it because they are not a day care. They will however change the children’s clothes if they have an accident, just like in pre-k.

1 Like

No teacher I know has ever helped a child that age with that sorry

They ask if your child is FULLY potty trained for a reason. Fully includes wiping. It’s absolutely NEVER a teachers job to touch a child’s privates parts. Wtf is wrong with you

65 Likes

It’s not a teachers job to wipe your kids butt

3 Likes

The teachers are not allowed to assist with this.

They absolutely will not help, it’s not allowed per the school board

3 Likes

Yes its “normal” send him with flushable wet wipes, that will help him.

1 Like

They’re not allowed to help which is why they’re usually required to be potty trained before enrollment. Send your son with wet wipes in his backpack & teach him clean himself better.

4 Likes

By 4 they should know how. It’s a fully known fact they have to be fully potty trained before they start school. Imagine having to help 25 plus kids wipe themselves lmao.

4 Likes

Nope this should’ve been taught at home beforehand

3 Likes

Um. No ma’am
That is not allowed.
It is your job to teach him to wipe his bottom efficiently before he even goes to school. He is only 4 and there may be some streaks every now and then… but not the teachers problem.

3 Likes

Nope, they don’t help wipe. Think about the implications this could cause if we allowed teachers that close in the restrooms with our children. It would be bad for the kids and for the teachers all around.
There are plenty of fun videos you can watch with your kid to get them excited about doing it alone!

1 Like

My kids preschool is very helpful with potty training. But they also run a daycare there too. Im sorry. I know this is a sensitive situation. Just keep teaching him really well, and hopefully he will feel comfortable enough to not need any help.

At the age of 4… teachers are not allowed to… thonwe send my autistic daughter to school with flushable wipes… and it helped alot

I’m pretty sure that’s normal these days, kids have to know how to wipe before they start school. Wipes may make it easier for your baby though, it helped my little man. One hateful parent claiming they inappropriately touched their child and that teacher loses everything, so yea I wouldn’t wipe any kids butts either.

3 Likes

Just no. I wouldn’t do it either.

When we signed our youngest up for Pre K we were specifically asked if he could wipe himself as they could not do it. Teachers are not allowed to assist children in the bathroom. At all.

1 Like

They really is not her job

I’m a teacher and mom of 3 - they’re still learning how to properly do it at that age and it sucks but you have to teach them to keep wiping until it’s done

No. It is not normal for your teacher to help wipe your child. That literally is not in their job description

2 Likes

Teachers don’t wipe butts. Send him with some bay wipes so he can clean himself. They’re in school not daycare

53 Likes

There is no way. It creates a liability for the teacher and puts them in a position for allegations of abuse. The child needs to be taught complete independence before attending. That is the parents job.

9 Likes

When my boys started school if they couldn’t wipe on they’re own they couldn’t attend school. It’s not the teachers job to do that.

4 Likes

That is not their job. They are legally not allowed to help a kid in the bathroom anymore.

6 Likes

No they won’t help do that in pre school

5 Likes

Teacher here, although not a pre-k teacher but I do work in an elementary school.

No, by the time a student is in a gen ed pre-k (4) class, they are expected to be able to wipe on their own and the teachers as far as I know aren’t even allowed to due to laws.

4 Likes

The only time a teacher helped any kinds in pre-school was if they had a big accident. And even then they called home first to get permission.

2 Likes

That’s why there’s a requirement for potty trained children to enter school.
With all the crazy ass shit that happens in schools these days NOBODY needs to be touching my kids private areas.

1 Like

Teachers are not allowed to wipe students. Before sending your kiddo to Pre-K or kinder make sure they know some basic life skills that’ll make the transition to from home to school much smoother. Send some back up clothes in his back pack. With practice and confidence he’ll get it. Please give your teacher grace, with other little 4 year old running around and having the same problems, it’s overwhelming. Signed a former Pre-K teacher.

2 Likes

Umm no…. No the teacher does not come near my child’s butt and it would not be okay if she did.

1 Like

No. Not only is that not the teacher job, it’s a liability. Teachers steer clear of touching private areas so as not to be accused of doing anything out of line. Children are expected to be ‘potty trained’ before starting pre-school. If this is a problem maybe you should keep him home another year.

3 Likes

No, the teacher should not be helping.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want a teacher wiping my kids butt anyway.
Send him with wipes.

1 Like

Teachers aren’t allowed to. They need to be able to go to the bathroom by themselves. It’s completely normal to not have the teacher allowed to help.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re allowed. I loved my daughter’s preschool and knew she had great teachers, and they didn’t wipe her. It bothered me at first but then I understood why they wouldn’t want a child and teacher in a bathroom alone together. I just explained to my daughter she had to learn how to wipe herself and after many crusty butts and some practice everything turned out fine. It’ll be okay :blush:

It’s not their responsibility!

No, mine was trained but came home occasionally with skidder-marks in his under wear. Just would make sure he got a bath that night no biggy.

Not allowed and I’m glad it’s not

I am surprised by everyone’s answers. I guess things have changed. 8 years ago I was a pre-k teacher and I helped kids wipe when they needed it. It was expected that some kids would still need help at that age.

She should definitely be helping

Send him with those flushable wipes maybe that will help

Send him to school with wet wipes :woman_shrugging:t2: not the teachers job to wipe your kids butt. Streaks happen, nbg

Girl wth :joy: nobody wants to wipe a another kids butt other than their own :woman_facepalming:

My child’s vpk teacher told me on the first week, she can not help him wipe. By law she can not help him.
We started working at it more at home & now he has no problem wiping his own butt. I also set in wipes for him to use to make it a little easier.

Not the teachers job!!!

3 Likes

I worked in child care for 14 years. None of the VPK teachers EVER wiped a child. By 3 years old they’re supposed to be fully potty trained and maybe need a little assistance but being inside of a “classroom” set up and doing curriculum and prepping for kindergarten they are expected to not need assistance. Do I agree? No lol my 3 year old isn’t potty trained. I keep telling her we got a lot of work to do before you go to preschool.

3 Likes

It’s not a teachers job to ensure your child wipes properly. Teachers have enough they are responsible for. Man, posts like this really make me feel for our teachers. They seriously DO NOT get paid enough. If you want your child to have assistance wiping keep him home, or if you work hire a nanny who is okay with wiping a 4 year old.

49 Likes

They aren’t allowed to help them do that. They are supposed to be fully potty trained when they go to preschool. You’re just going to have to help him learn and wipe him when he comes home til he gets it :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I have worked day care and pre school age. I know where I worked kids had to wipe them self at that age

In day care we were only allowed up to age of 3

4 and up is considered preschool age and they had to be fully potty trained and of course know how to wipe

1 Like

Prek they have to be fully potty trained
None of my kids ever had a teacher wipe their butts
I mad3 sure I told them this many times before they started to school to make them remember no one will help at school for bathroom issues

3 Likes

Ummm… you want a teacher to wipe your child?! Wow that is something else. That would end up being a bit confusing when you explain nobody is supposed to touch their privates. Not to mention teachers already go above and beyond to help their students thats ridiculous.

6 Likes

My son has an IEP and 504 plan in pre-k. He is also 4 and also not potty trained. His teachers help him. Idk if it’s because of his IEP or if they do that will all the kids, but they are helping potty train him.

I would never ask anyone to wipe my kid’s butt.

1 Like

I don’t think they are allowed to actually wipe the kids. When my daughter was in daycare her teachers didn’t and said that they are at the potty trained age and need to do it themselves. Now a days when it’s so easy to mistake just helping for something inappropriate they won’t do it.

3 Likes

I just want to say there’s absolutely nothing wrong with your kiddo, it’s ok that he still needs help. It’s your expectations of the teacher that need to adjusted. :heart:

11 Likes

As a pre-K teacher myself I do not help children wipe which is why I chose the grade I chose if I wanted to wipe children asses I would have chose toddlers and infants

That is not their job and no they will not help…

2 Likes

It is not the teachers job to wipe. You have to teach your kids to wipe themselves. Please don’t expect the teacher to do something like that, their job is to teach

3 Likes

You need to work with him on wiping. Teachers should not be required to help children wipe. I don’t think it would be appropriate for a teacher to do. Maybe you could pack some wet wipes in a bag in his pocket to make it easier for him to clean himself up.

37 Likes

My daughter’s pre k teacher made sure to mention they can’t even help them button their pants that they would have to send them to the nurse.

1 Like

Nope, that is not what they are there to do.

4 Likes

Their not allowed to help. It would open them up to allegations of abuse

4 Likes

Girl he is in pre k and he is learning and obviously it’s working because he didn’t have any streaks so let him grow and learn because them teachers aren’t allowed to be wiping nobody’s butt

1 Like

Teachers in public schools are not supposed to be wiping kids butts or any other of their private parts. Where I live and I think it’s that way in most areas, kids have to be fully potty trained and by fully potty trained that means being able to wipe themselves.

10 Likes

This is why they ask them to be potty trained by head start. Even in headstart they don’t wipe butts. Too much that could go with it. I don’t blame them at all with the way the world is today. And you shouldn’t want them too either.
Soo yes it’s normal for them to not help them wipe. I would recommend baby wipes though

5 Likes

I work in pre-k & legally we are not allowed to help them wipe. They are suppose to be fully potty trained & do it themselves. It protects us because too many people are sue worthy these days. However, we do call the parents to come help them if it’s bad & they need to be cleaned well. We do help them put new clothes on if they need the help & we provide wipes to them if they need it.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: are you serious!? Thats a legal issue. Teachers cannot be in the bathrooms with your half naked children. Use your brain!!

5 Likes

When my girls were in pre-k I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t.But yeah talk with them about it and try to find a solution that might help him learn how to do it himself.You might want to try some flushable wipes.That will help him got cleaner and teach him to feel the poop on his bottom better so he can learn to do it himself.

1 Like

Send in baby wipes and have him use those when he goes to the bathroom but make sure he doesn’t flush them. It 100% is not the teachers responsibility to wipe your child’s behind. Sounds like you as a parent needs to work on this issue at home. Stop trying to push your responsibilities on to someone else

3 Likes

Kids are suppose to be fully potty trained before going to school. Pre-k especially since it’s not a required grade. Keep your son home and teach him how to wipe, be the parent!

26 Likes

Send your child some wet wipes.

It’s not the teachers job.

1 Like

As a teacher that teaches pre-k, we are not allowed to help childern wipe their butt. We are not babysitters! You as the parent teach them how to wipe thier butt.

By state they not allowed to

2 Likes

That’s why children need to be fully potty trained to be in those programs.

5 Likes

Where we live, Pre-K is not mandatory. If your child is not FULLY potty trained when the school year starts, then they are not eligible to enroll

2 Likes

Then your son may need a para professional

2 Likes

Ik geef hem gelijk voor dat je het weet krijg je en probleem heb je aan en kind gezeten en je moet hem leren het zelf te doen

Sounds like you need to take the initiative as his parent to teach him the proper way to wipe himself. Teachers are there to teach and it is the parents responsibility to teach their kids personal hygiene.

12 Likes

No! No one needs to be touching him not even his teacher. That’s why you teach them at home.

19 Likes

The liability that could come along with helping is why after the age of two even in a childcare setting you are not allowed into the bathroom with a child especially with the door closed.

2 Likes

Uh, no.
You need to teach him better at home.
The teacher doesn’t need to help him with it at school.

And heaven forbid there’s a skidmark :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Maybe get a small pocket pack of baby wies or have some in a ziplock bag child can use.

2 Likes

Mmm I have 4 kids and I don’t think they should help wipe. I wouldn’t want someone helping my 4yo help tbh.

2 Likes