My sons teacher refuses to help him wipe: Is that normal?

That’s a hard no. Not their job and honestly do you really want someone wiping his but for him? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

It is very normal for a teacher not to wipe a kids butt. They actually can’t! If they did I’m sure some parent on the opposite side of this conversation would try to sue or something for a teacher inappropriately touching their kid.

1 Like

When my son went to pre k. They had said they should learn to do it themselves. But incase of emergency, where they need to be cleaned and changed into spare clothing… then 2 teachers must be present at all times and I had to fill out forms and papers understanding the rules, etc.
The last thing you anyone needs is for a kid to come home and say “a teacher touched his butt” (you know how kids can be with giving information). So just go over school guidelines about it.
And if the school doesn’t offer (which again I know some schools don’t, they will even require the parent to come to school to do it) I’d suggest to keep practicing at home and make him learn.

The teaching staff dont wipe the children butts or fronts

5 Likes

It just simply is not allowed. That is something that is as parents are responsible for. Maybe y’all can work on it at home.

3 Likes

Teachers aren’t allowed to touch the children’s genitals. That’s just crazy to want someone to do that. Use Tide with Oxy til he learns to get it all himself. And tell him it’s ok to wipe twice.

8 Likes

That is very normal for a pre-k teacher not to wipe them

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even feel comfortable with someone I don’t really know touching my child’s bottom

5 Likes

At my daughter’s school (she is also 4) they do not help. The kids are supposed to be potty trained or atleast have very few accidents, and they also need to be able to mostly dress themselves incase of an accident.
I definitely understand why the teacher would not do this. I know it can be frustrating, but if you’re concerned about your child not wiping good I would send flushable wet wipes so they can clean themselves better when they use the bathroom. I get these for my kids because they don’t always wipe the best.

3 Likes

Yeah not in our job description!! I work with special needs children and the ones that are incontinent are the ones we help the others unless stated during their IEP they wipe themselves.

2 Likes

U have to teach your kid to wipe. Lol teachers won’t touch it. That might even be illegal :flushed:

6 Likes

It’s Saturday, spend the weekend teaching him how to do it as best he can before he goes back to school on Monday

11 Likes

Literally not the teachers job.

8 Likes

One of the things to go to pre k here is being potty trained. The teachers are not aloud to help kids in the bathroom.

2 Likes

I work in a headstart and it’s with 3-5 year olds and half of ours are in pull up stills and the ones that isn’t we still help them if they need help wiping or anything because they are still learning themselves so I would have a talk with his teacher my son is also 4 and just started to use the potty on his own but his teacher also helps him wipe and teaching him how to do it

1 Like

The teacher cannot help wipe the student, that is not her job and you’re responsible for teaching him that skill. That would be a huge liability, they are not allowed to touch the children like that.

3 Likes

No ma’am. It is your responsibility to make sure your child is capable of wiping their own bottom by the time they enter school programs. Teachers are responsible for the rest of the kids too. Plus, there’s always the threat of a parent accusing them of inappropriate conduct.
Teach your child to wipe his own butt.

4 Likes

Write a letter asking if they can help and that you give permission. If not practice at home with wipes

It’s school not daycare

8 Likes

Anything after 3 we were not allowed to as a teacher. They are supposed to be fully potty trained to go to pre k.

This can’t be a real question. Since when do teachers help wipe asses? When I was a kid we were sent potty-trained, and that included being able to wipe ourselves.

You think teachers get paid enough to wipe your kid ass?! :rofl::rofl: get real. Teach your kid how to do it properly. Him being 4 isn’t an excuse, thousands of kids do it everyday…

1 Like

The teacher is there to teach not wipe butt, it’s not like daycare, with all
The kids in the class if she had to keep stopping to wipe everyone’s butt they’d never get anything done :woman_shrugging:t2:

Teachers in public schools are not allowed to help any child wipe for legal reasons. Its a safety thing so no kid can claim sexual assualt on a teacher. So for legal reasons they arent allowed to. Kids have to do it on their own.

2 Likes

I think they stop assisting the kids once they leave head start? Maybe he isn’t ready for pre-k? That’s definitely something you as mom should be more firm in teaching him how to do on his own. Chin up you can do it!

1 Like

I dont like the thought of any adult cleaning my children’s butt. It’s their privacy and I wouldn’t want them to think it’s ok for anyone to be touching them

I can tell you as a preK teacher I am not doing it - I am very uncomfortable with a child that age who it not mine. That is why I teach preK - they are required to be fully potty trained when entering which is why it is asked. If he is not trained he needs to go to preschool not preK class there is a difference

3 Likes

It’s one of the requirements for pre-K to be fully day time potty trained.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they are not allowed to . It’s been many years since my kids were in prek but I’m pretty sure I remember them telling me state law doesn’t allow them to

That is normal for the school not to help him wipe…you should have been working on this 6 months b4 pre k started imo

4 Likes

I’m a para at a elementary school. We should never be in the bathroom stall with a child, that’s a huge liability. However, if it was a child who physically couldn’t due to a disability, that would be different. The child would have their own para.

10 Likes

You don’t want ANYONE wiping your child’s butt but you and the daddy! SMH

Fully potty trained includes wiping themself. Not teachers job.

3 Likes

Unless the schools mention they’ll help w training… they likely won’t and I wouldn’t expect them to . They already have to deal w atleast 10-12 other kids.

1 Like

Your job is to teach mom this…not the teachers

1 Like

Ik that a stipulation for children starting school, pre-k, is that they have to be completely potty trained! Meaning, they have to be able to go do their business ALONE w/o any assistance. So, no it’s NOT her responsibility! Imagine how much time it would take if she had to assist every student in using the bathroom. It’s crazy how much responsibility parents put on a teacher to “raise” their child. He’s there to learn ABC’s & 123’s. Everything else is the parents responsibility! Teach your child how to properly use the rest room instead of putting on someone else!

2 Likes

That’s not for ur teacher ! Ur the mom u teach ur child!! My daughter is 4 and she’s known how do to it for atleast a good year now.

2 Likes

Teachers are not allowed to do that! It isn’t daycare and he’s 4! He’s supposed to know how before attending school.

2 Likes

As a pre-k teacher no it’s not her job your child is well old enough to know how to wipe himself you should really be practicing at home and teachering your child this. Our job is to educate your child not wiping their butts thats your job to teach them basic hygiene. In day cares yes it’s different and we do help with potty training but even there around that age we don’t wipe butts.

5 Likes

As an educator… yes… it is a life skill and absolutely my job to help teach them and help them. If I would for my own child I will for yours! Period!

2 Likes

Oh no ur son should b potty train first then b enroll to school cause the teacher is not responsible for that sorry

3 Likes

Not our job! It’s called parenting !
It’s the weekend teach your son to do it by himself and do the best you can. That is way above the teachers pay grade. At four years old unless he is special-needs this is not something that we do. 

5 Likes

That teacher is protecting herself and I 100% back her up!

8 Likes

We live in Alabama and when my son was in pre-K his teachers specifically said they wasn’t allowed to help them just due to so much going on in the world and people like to try and start stuff like saying they possibly touched their child and all that.

1 Like

No teacher any where is gonna wipe your kid’s butt.

It’s a requirement your child know how to wipe.
My son wasn’t allowed to go to PreK if he didn’t know how to wipe himself :woman_shrugging:t2:

You need to be able to teach him. It’s a teachers job to enrich his mind not parent him.

2 Likes

When u register for pre-k the main requirement is for the kid to be fully potty trained. It’s not the teachers job to do UR job. My daughter is 4, in pre-k, and has no problem with this. It starts at home.

Our school had a policy in the registration papers that if you’re child can’t wipe themselves then they need to learn before school starts because the teacher can’t wipe and watch the other kids in the hall.

Sorry Mama but where I live, ifn they can’t wipe on their own they don’t even get accepted into Pre-K. They have to be potty trained and wipe on their own. A teacher ain’t spose to be in a stall with a child. They can go to the bathroom with them but not in the stall. Honestly I wouldn’t even want a “stranger” wiping my kid anyhow.

3 Likes

Yes school can’t do it so it’s normal

I believe no preK/school will accept a child that is not fully potty trained. At least that was the case with my daughter, when she started prek (4 years old as well) that was the first thing the school told me, also why would you want a stranger wiping your kid ? That’s your job.

1 Like

I’m retired Home Daycare provider. Been doing Daycare for 26 years. Children in my Daycare are taught to wipe themselves at age 2 to 3 years old. And parents are also teaching them at home. At School, teachers are not allowed to touch kids that way.

It’s a school… Not a daycare… There’s a reason your kids are supposed to be fully potty trained before starting… It is not their job to help wipe their butt… And you shouldn’t want the teacher doing so either. That’s also, a huge liability I’m sure. Anything can be said. They’re there to teach your child. Not babysit them, and do the babysitting duties.

In pre k they are suppose to be fully trained the teacher isn’t allowed to help him

umm excuse me. I feel like ITS NOT NORMAL if your kids teacher DOES help wipe …

6 Likes

Hell nah you should probably go back to potty training your child or he not ready for school personally I don’t think they can touch kids like that anyways weird request

2 Likes

Uh nope. Not her job.

Our schools pre k doesn’t even accept kids in if they can’t wipe their own butts

2 Likes

The teacher cannot wipe him. He’s 4 not even at the 3 year old classroom they can wipe him. I worked in pre schools and we couldn’t touch the children.

No they don’t…He’s 4 he should be fully potty trained

2 Likes

Not their job. Buy some flushable wipes and teach him how.

Absolutely not! They are not allowed to for legal purposes, this something you need to work on at home not the teachers fault or job!.

1 Like

Maybe send him to school with wet wipes? They’re a lot easier to get it all.

In our district they’re not allowed to go to school if they can’t go to the restroom by their selves

2 Likes

Not teachers job to wipe… you need to teach this at home and make sure he can do it

1 Like

I would rather my kid have a streak in their underwear than to feel violated or have an unrealistic expectation of what they need to do for themselves.

59 Likes

Your child is not prepared for pre-k if he cannot wipe his own butt.

Um it’s gross af that you want a teacher to wipe your kid. Teach him yourself like how is this even a question??? The teachers aren’t there to raise your damn kid for you.

I’m just wondering, as a retired childcare provider…. Is your child ready for preschool? Or was he sent to preschool so parents no longer had daycare payments?

3 Likes

Hes fuckin 4 he can wipe his own arse!

It’s your job as a mother to teach your children how to wipe themselves. At 4 years old, he should be capable of doing it. If you have failed to help your child learn by the age of 4, what makes you think a teacher should be doing it for you. A child’s very first teacher is their mother and/or father.

4 Likes

I guess it depends on the state maybe because my grandson is in headstart & didn’t have to be potty trained. He is now but it only took a week of school and he is potty trained now. But they help him wipe. Yes if he came home with it on himself I’d have an issue. We r in Ohio, here they help if he tells them he needs help

It’s not the schools responsibility. Unless stated in your contract. You may think it’s unfair but it’s not.

1 Like

That Would Literally Cost Said Teacher Their Job And Or Future Jobs, As Well. It Is Your Job As The Parent To Make Sure Your Child Can Wipe All The Way. To Be Put In Prek, They’re Supposed To Be Fully Potty Trained, Able To Do Wipe And All Themselves. Maybe Send In Some Diaper Wipes & Have Him Wipe With Those.

3 Likes

Imagine having to wipe the butts of 25 kids everyday. It completely normal for her not to help with that as your child should be taught that at home prior to preschool.

12 Likes

I do NOT think this went as the poster was hoping it would go.

9 Likes

My grandson has a hard time wiping he did the best he could and asked me or his grandpa to check him when he got home which he did a good job

They are not aloud. you will look like crazy asking them to
do this. You as his mother need to teach him these tools bc when your not there he has to do them himself

1 Like

Umm, no. That’s ridiculous that you think a teacher should be showing him how to properly wipe. That’s your job.

6 Likes

Sorry but they even tell you your kids should know how to do that on there own. They can’t be doing that.

That’s not her job. He should know how to do that by 3. Teachers don’t need to be wiping the kids Butts. Period.

5 Likes

I teach 3yr olds so the Preschool class. Kids who come to my class are supposed to be fully potty trained. No pull ups, diapers etc. We are actually not allowed to go in the bathroom with them as that takes our attention away from the other kids. So a 4yr old in Pre-k should definitely be able to wipe their own butt well. You can send in wipes with him but he would need to throw them in the trash can.

As a pre-k teacher aide we may demonstrate how to do it but encourage the child and parent to teach them. Teachers aren’t allowed to be in the restroom alone with a child to help unless another teacher is there to watch for safety reasons. We aren’t allowed to change them if they poop their pants. We call parents and they have to come help clean them up.

1 Like

It’s normal allot of places the teachers aren’t allowed to help once in actual school

1 Like

My little guy had to be fully potty trained for pre-school and honestly, I wouldn’t be too keen on a teacher wiping his butt anyways. Maybe that’s just me though. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Perhaps you should be keeping your son home until he is ready to be in a classroom setting of any kind.

4 Likes

Not their job. Schoolsusually specify that kids must be potty trained (which includes wiping).

7 Likes

No ma’am that is not part of her nob

3 Likes

No, you have to be 100% potty trained in order to attend, otherwise that’s all they would be doing all day long with as many students as they have.

3 Likes

As a parent, this is something that you’re supposed to teach them.

Also, just a little advanced notice, you’re supposed to teach your kid how to tie their shoes too!!!

3 Likes

More practice at home

1 Like

Depends on the school and the rules.

They don’t… it’s a requirement for them to be fully potty trained and that counts as wiping… if you had a class of 30 3-4 year olds and had to stop to wipe every kids butt every time there would be no time for anything else…

1 Like

You’re a moron if you think it falls on the teacher to wipe your kids dirty ass. Idiot

The teacher is not allowed to

2 Likes

Of course they can’t help. They are not allowed to touch the kids or even be alone with them in the bathroom. I had to practice with my 4 yo a lot this summer because I knew I that she would be starting PreK and the teachers aren’t allowed to help them wipe.
Your kid will learn. Trust me. Just supervise and guide at home until he gets the hang of it.

3 Likes

That’s a responsibility of a parent not any teacher. Teaching starts at home.

3 Likes

My boys are in headstart which is pretty much the same as Pre K and their teachers help and also they don’t have to be fully potty trained just have to be in pull ups and using the potty for the most part

2 Likes

Schools require your child to be potty trained. I would never expect a teacher to help my child wipe. Maybe work with your child on wiping.

5 Likes